Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D Review: Giving Intel a Run For Its Money | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2023 in News & Features Discussion

imageAMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D Review: Giving Intel a Run For Its Money | MMORPG.com

The AMD Ryzen 7000 X3D chips are finally upon us, and we were able to go hands-on with the ultra-powerful Ryzen 9 79503D. Following our review of the original 7950X, we're ready to share whether this is the TOTL CPU to buy for gaming. Find out in this review.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    I’m just here for the arguments in the comments between AMD and Intel fans.
    SovrathRoindragonlee66MensurScotMcSleaz

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• OG_SolareusOG_Solareus Member RarePosts: 1,041
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    AMD wins again :)
    Only if you count a tie as a win.

They're so closely matched that the real winner in this situation should be us customers.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    What a weird, unbalanced part.  On the one hand, I think I can see what AMD was thinking.  The best possible performance for a game is to put the game on the CCX with the extra cache, while reserving all cores and all cache on that CCX for the game by putting everything else on the other CCX.  But the difference between that and disabling the other CCX entirely won't be much unless a user is strangely willing to run a bunch of background junk while gaming.  Maybe streamers will do that or some such, but it's a weird thing to do.

But ultimately, I want CPUs to just work.  I don't want them to be dependent on specialized, per-process driver support to put processes on the right cores.  This is the same criticism that I had of Intel's Alder Lake and Raptor Lake, though the details are different.  I'm sure that they can get this to work well on the commonly run benchmarks.  They can test those manually, see which CCX handles it best, and put the process on that CCX.

But what about the long tail of wanting your CPU to work well several years from now?  Think AMD will still be optimizing drivers for this part in three or four years, rather than moving on to optimize for the next generation?  I sure don't.  And what about people who want to run less popular but still demanding programs?  AMD can't manually test everything, you know.

Ultimately, if you think this part looks good, then the thing to do is to wait for the 7800X3D that is coming in April.  That will give basically the same gaming performance for a lot less money--and without the possibility of drivers putting processes on the wrong CCX.
    Splattr
    This review barely mentions the best feature of the part.  When stacking dies, you can't let power consumption run wild or else you'll end up breaking wires that connect the dies.  That means that they have to keep clock speeds and power consumption lower.

You might think that that's a bad thing, but look how it performs.  It's competitive with the Core i9-13900K, yes.  But other sites found that it's doing that while burning less than half the power of the Intel competitor.  That's a big difference.
    BrotherMaynardolepi
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    a lot of the issues are with microsoft lack of vision for the future of computing.
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-9-7950x3d-cpu-review

Tom's Hardware has a good review.

"In our tests, the 7950X3D beats Intel’s fastest chip, the 6 GHz Core i9-13900KS, by 13% on average and up to 40%+ in some games, taking the top spot on our list of the best CPUs for gaming."

One thing I didn't see in the MMORPG review is that the AMD chip is done in 5nm process, making AMD two generations ahead of Intel now.
    Zeneren

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829

Quizzical said:

This review barely mentions the best feature of the part.  When stacking dies, you can't let power consumption run wild or else you'll end up breaking wires that connect the dies.  That means that they have to keep clock speeds and power consumption lower.

You might think that that's a bad thing, but look how it performs.  It's competitive with the Core i9-13900K, yes.  But other sites found that it's doing that while burning less than half the power of the Intel competitor.  That's a big difference.

A major problem with stacking dies is the heat. Instead of a heat-sink/fan on top of the chip, you have another chip. Heat from the below chip can't dissipate like before, so power and heat has to be carefully controlled.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• SplitStream13SplitStream13 Member UncommonPosts: 250
    I don't see this as a tie at all. I see it as a clear win. Just like I see the M2 Pros and M2 max as a clear winners for productivity as well.

I bet I raised a few eyebrows already, however when you factor in power consumption, the picture drastically changes. Which is why I'll never say that RTX 4090 is a good GPU. It's a balls to the wall type of setup just to show superiority on a benchmark. The xx70 part is a lot more balanced. But I digress.

If AMD ties the Intel at half the power, then this is a clear win in my book.

Ultimately though, sad day for PC enthusiasts. PC part pricing has become insane. CPUs, GPUs, hell even top of the line memory all cost more than a console these days. Which is laughable. Choke on your greed silicon valley.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited February 2023
    olepi said:
    https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-9-7950x3d-cpu-review

Tom's Hardware has a good review.

"In our tests, the 7950X3D beats Intel’s fastest chip, the 6 GHz Core i9-13900KS, by 13% on average and up to 40%+ in some games, taking the top spot on our list of the best CPUs for gaming."
    It's not that simple situation, the results depend a lot of which games the review tests:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-7950x3d/29.html
    "If we only tested Far Cry, Elden Ring and Cyberpunk the delta would be +18% vs 13900K, and if we had Age of Empires, Mount and Blade II Bannerlord and Spider-Man only, the difference would be -19% vs 13900K"

• BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 567
    Look at that price difference. Vendors are going to milk it so hard these first few weeks!

Look at that price difference. Vendors are going to milk it so hard these first few weeks!

Newegg-

AMD
    AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D - Ryzen 9 7000 Series 16-Core 4.2 GHz Socket AM5 120W AMD Radeon Graphics Desktop Processor - 100-100000908WOF

OUT OF STOCK

$699.00

https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-9-7950x3d-ryzen-9-7000-series/p/N82E16819113791
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    edited March 2023
    Good ! Better competition is always good for us consumers, and when two competitors are so close, we are the winners because prices tend to drop.

The only thing AMD has ever excelled at is creating more Intel/Nvidia customers.

I'm an Intel/nVidia user because of the upgrades I'm getting through work, but this is just not true. I ran AMD before, and my mother is still using her PC with a 6 cores AMD Phenom II 1100T + Radeon 6800 without any problems (just upgraded with a SSD a few years ago). She doesn't feel the need to change because the PC is running nice and smoothly (she doesn't game).

CPU wise, AMD, in the far past, was indeed behind Intel. Then they had a damned good series of CPUs with the Phenom II, which was on par with Intel. Bulldozer wasn't so good, Intel was once again in the lead, but then came ZEN and since then, AMD has always been a valid competitor for Intel. If I didn't get those upgrades through my job, I'd probably have an AMD CPU today.

GPU wise, same story. In the distant past, there were always behind nVidia. But nowadays, and that approximatively since the Radeon 200 series in 2013, they are valid competitors. On this part though, I prefer the additional features of nVidia drivers. Sticking to Green team here.
    Post edited by The_Korrigan on
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793

Good ! Better competition is always good for us consumers, and when two competitors are so close, we are the winners because prices tend to drop.

The only thing AMD has ever excelled at is creating more Intel/Nvidia customers.

I'm an Intel/nVidia user because of the upgrades I'm getting through work, but this is just not true. I ran AMD before, and my mother is still using her PC with a 6 cores AMD Phenom II 1100T + Radeon 6800 without any problems (just upgraded with a SSD a few years ago). She doesn't feel the need to change because the PC is running nice and smoothly (she doesn't game).

CPU wise, AMD, in the far past, was indeed behind Intel. Then they had a damned good series of CPUs with the Phenom II, which was on par with Intel. Bulldozer wasn't so good, Intel was once again in the lead, but then came ZEN and since then, AMD has always been a valid competitor for Intel. If I didn't get those upgrades through my job, I'd probably have an AMD CPU today.

GPU wise, same story. In the distant past, there were always behind nVidia. But nowadays, and that approximatively since the Radeon 200 series in 2013, they are valid competitors. On this part though, I prefer the additional features of nVidia drivers. Sticking to Green team here.

She's running a Radeon 6800 GPU and doesn't game?!
    edited March 2023

She's running a Radeon 6800 GPU and doesn't game?!
    If you increment the first digit of your model number every generation, eventually you reuse them.  Given the age of the CPU, that video card might be a Radeon HD 6850 that had an MSRP of $180 at launch.  AMD's drivers would label their cards "Radeon HD 6800 series" or something like that rather than distinguishing between a 6850 and a 6870 or something analogous.  The CPU doesn't have an integrated GPU, so it needs a discrete GPU for the computer to work.
    The_Korrigan
    Does Jenson have a race car ?
    hehe also that guy ignorance was boundless "do you speak english" ?

Race cars are for people who like their hardware to run hot and loud.
    OG_Solareus
    Quizzical said:

Race cars are for people who like their hardware to run hot and loud.

So Nvidia must have a fleet of race cars xD

This CPU is DYN-O-MITE
    AMD leading instead of leasing... xD