Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Avalon Gets $13 Mil Funding Round, Believes Game Developers Are Key to Making the Metaverse Work |

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2023 in News & Features Discussion

imageAvalon Gets $13 Mil Funding Round, Believes Game Developers Are Key to Making the Metaverse Work | MMORPG.com

A new company, Avalon, which counts experienced devs from EverQuest, Diablo, Call of Duty and more, announces $13 million in funding via Bitkraft to build a "new interoperable universe".

Read the full story here

Comments

• AngrakhanAngrakhan Member EpicPosts: 1,169
    Well yeah. If a metaverse is going to ever exist who else is going to build it? Plumbers? Truck drivers? Fire fighters? Stop me when I get close.
    McSleazKyleranbcbullyScot
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Angrakhan said:
    Well yeah. If a metaverse is going to ever exist who else is going to build it? Plumbers? Truck drivers? Fire fighters? Stop me when I get close.
    Oof. Close. The correct answer was pizza delivery guys.
    Kyleran
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    No thanks...this universe is plenty...dont need a metaverse.
  • RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    Metaverse is the new buzzword I guess
    bcbully
  • Jaguaratron1Jaguaratron1 Member UncommonPosts: 298
    "metaverse" lmao
  • OG_SolareusOG_Solareus Member RarePosts: 1,041
    The metaverse .....
    no thanks xD
    Kyleran
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Aeander said:
    Angrakhan said:
    Oof. Close. The correct answer was pizza delivery guys.
    Woohoo love that Snow Crash ref.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Apparently investors were impressed by that big pile of buzzwords.  If that's all that they've got, then investors are likely to be the only ones to be so impressed.
    ScotMendel
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Yet another crypto gaming scam incoming.

RemaliChampieSarlaMendelachesoma

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Let me know when the meta verse gets legs and graphics better then Wii Avatars. 
    Mendel
  • sabrefoxxsabrefoxx Member UncommonPosts: 157

Nanfoodle said:

Let me know when the meta verse gets legs and graphics better then Wii Avatars. 

You pwnt them with that one.
    Nanfoodle
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    Millennials in trying to remain relevant can't let go of dumb buzzwords like metaverse and stupid trends such as the "I tried (insert something absolutely pointless), here's what happened", or "check out my life hack".
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    13 million does not ensure you can make a good game let alone a metaverse and in case anyone was still wondering, what the internet needs is more good content not "overarching structure".
    KyleranRemali
    Scot said:
    13 million does not ensure you can make a good game let alone a metaverse and in case anyone was still wondering, what the internet needs is more good content not "overarching structure".
    Yeah, didn't Google spend like $7B last year trying to make better VR and a meta verse with little success?

But this group is going to pull it off with $13M in seed money....

I've got this for sale, cheap....send offers.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited March 2023
    Scowl, duplicate post.

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    edited March 2023
    Wow, I read the article and I have no idea what the "game" is going to be. Lots of buzzwords and shiny presentation, but nothing about what it will actually be.

Another Second Life?
    Mendel

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    The EverQuest connection is to EQ:Next, which didn't actually release.  Or complete.  I'd be very skeptical about this one.  So I will.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• richrem1richrem1 Member UncommonPosts: 132
    If I were to invest in a metaverse company, it'd be this one. Zuckerberg proved to be the evil corporate fool with the FaceBook scandals. The moment the scandals started happening, I got out early. Let's hope, that if metaverse becomes a "thing", it'd be run by a company who can keep to their ethical claims.
  • ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 818
    I think a lot of these metaverse are out of touch. All I want is MMORPGs that kinda play like WoW, but with more challenging mechanics.

Or maybe they are targeting the Fortnite kids who will grow up to dig this crap.