Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The best Idea I have seen for WoW

NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
Basically it's like Minecraft realms with Blizzard hosted private servers.

As someone who has played on tons of private servers this idea seems like something amazing beyond belief.

Really worth the watch.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

AlBQuirky

Comments

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Interesting.  Probably a good idea, but I can't see Blizzard allowing their IP to be used to generate income for anyone except Blizzard.  Now, if there were a 'character creation fee' that went exclusively to Blizzard, but credited to the monthly upkeep cost for a server, that might appeal more to the Blizzard accountants.  They get all the money, the creator gets a credit for buying more time.  Modern day indentured servitude!

BrainyAlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    No on can Touch it, the greatness of Vanilla WoW ! 

So yes mods are fine  B)
    AlBQuirky
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Blizzard's problem with private servers is that people playing on private servers aren't paying for the main game.  If they were to go this route, they'd have to price it to ensure that they're making as much money from people playing on private servers as if they were playing the main game instead.  Otherwise, they just cannibalize their own product.  If the result is three times as many people playing some version of WoW, but they only get half as much revenue, then that's a huge net loss for the company.

Meanwhile, one reason for people to play on private servers is precisely to avoid paying for the game.  Certainly, there would be a lot of people happy to pay the same price as for the main game to play on private servers instead.  But I'm not sure how big of a fraction of the private server playerbase that would be.  It might not be very large.
    AlBQuirkyMendel
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Well I saw this and instantly started thinking about the Classic plus stuff and building your own class or even classless characters and enhancements to zones and quests and the game in general. Everything I've seen on private servers that goes above and beyond what Blizzard has done.

Kinda like custom maps in War3.

Then you guys mentioned monetization. That's the kicker isn't it? It's not about making cool new ways to play the game and breathing new life into it... it's just about the money and how they can monetize it. Even then look at what it took to get classic which made them millions, heh.

AlBQuirky

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

So yes mods are fine  B)
    Was it MC Hammer that coined the phrase, "You can't touch this!" :lol:
    delete5230

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    AlBQuirky said:

So yes mods are fine  B)
    Was it MC Hammer that coined the phrase, "You can't touch this!" :lol:
    Do-do-dot  Da-dot-dot  Da-dot....... Can't touch this !!
    AlBQuirky
  • mekheremekhere Member UncommonPosts: 250
    I don't speak up much about WoW because I just don't like it, but it's time to move on to a new game. The world needs to leave WoW behind and create a new mmorpg where we are all forced into like 3 servers and that's it. Merge eq, daoc, and wow to make a new game. Private servers are just free shards. They last for a small time. Every game has done this. It's nothing new. Free shards or private servers can get people hacked and in a lot of trouble. This is where the Devs should remove the expansion pack that the players are trying to seek asylum over. The player base obviously wants to go back to the original classic game. They love to fall in love after all. 

KyleranAlBQuirky
    This user is a registered flex offender. 
    Someone who is registered as being a flex offender is a person who feels the need to flex about everything they say.
    Always be the guy that paints the house in the dark.  
    Lucidity can be forged with enough liquidity and pharmed for decades with enough compound interest that a reachable profit would never end.