Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft Players Upset With Trading Post Grind As New Trailer Heralds February 1st Launch |

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited January 2023 in Videos Discussion

imageWorld of Warcraft Players Upset With Trading Post Grind As New Trailer Heralds February 1st Launch | MMORPG.com

World of Warcraft's Trading Post is coming next week, opening up on February 1st. Blizzard doesn't want players to forget this, and as such has released a new trailer all about the new feature. However, as information starts to trickle out about how to get some of the cosmetics, players have already begun voicing concerns.

Read the full story here

Comments

• AngrakhanAngrakhan Member EpicPosts: 1,162
    HAHA! That's funny. So glad I didn't sign up for this expac.
  • Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 628

Angrakhan said:

I thought this was a new "feature" independent of the expac?
    TokkenDarkagesGobstopper3D
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847
    MMORPG Headline - "Players upset with Trading Post grind"

Quotes from players in article - "I would much rather have a grind"
     "At least make it like a grind or something"

MMORPG reporting at it's finest.
    ZenJelly
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    They aren't as upset that it is a grind as much as they seem upset that it's a time gated grind which a lot of people have always hated when blizzard introduces. A 12 month time gated grind for an armor set is absolutely insane. 
    defroststarcheyaneScotdragonlee66ZenJellyMcSleazSmeaghoulSailorMom
  • BarelyEinsteinBarelyEinstein Member UncommonPosts: 247
    I hate it when people moan because they can't have something. It's OKAY if you have to wait for something, it's OKAY if you don't have everything and it's OKAY if someone has something you don't. In fact it's more than okay, it's ultimately what makes these game worth playing.
    Pr0tag0ni5tMallyxGobstopper3DZenJellyZailod
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    A year-long grind seems pretty damn goofy to me.
    TokkenUwakionnastarstorm777cheyaneKylerandragonlee66ZenJellyhalfmystic
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Iselin said:
    A year-long grind seems pretty damn goofy to me.
    Especially since the meter is running every month.

dragonlee66ZenJelly

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ShadysaltzShadysaltz Member UncommonPosts: 22
    so it's a new subscription retention mechanic? You time gate to keep the subs turned on.

Tokkenstarstorm777cheyanedragonlee66Smeaghoul
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    Not gonna waste my time with the trading post grind........
    ZenJelly

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847
    I hate it when people moan because they can't have something. It's OKAY if you have to wait for something, it's OKAY if you don't have everything and it's OKAY if someone has something you don't. In fact it's more than okay, it's ultimately what makes these game worth playing.

Yeah, what these people are complaining about is that they want something but cant have it right now.

The real problem here is that MMOs have been fully infected by "instant gratification". Perhaps the above posters would prefer the Free to play method of paying $60 for these cosmetic outfits.

Also, cherry picking 2 Twitter posts equals news these days sadly.

Is MMORPG going to write an article on how the Earth is flat now? I can find at least 2 Twitter posts that say it. But, then, I can also find 2 Twitter posts that say the Earth is hollow. So, is the Earth flat and hollow?
    ScotetlarMallyxKyleranZenJelly
  • corrosivechainscorrosivechains Member UncommonPosts: 50
    MMO's used to keep people subbed without needing gimmicks. Maybe they should go back to designing fun games instead.
    starstorm777MallyxZenJellySmeaghoulMorbeous
  • GamePlay4UGamePlay4U Member UncommonPosts: 39
    I really don't understand why people call this a "battle-pass style track". It has a progression bar. Is leveling now considered a battle-pass style track?

Also, this is free and from what they have shown you get points for doing stuff you would already be doing by playing the game. Its the same system ESO has.
  • starstorm777starstorm777 Member UncommonPosts: 114

I really don't understand why people call this a "battle-pass style track". It has a progression bar. Is leveling now considered a battle-pass style track?

Also, this is free and from what they have shown you get points for doing stuff you would already be doing by playing the game. Its the same system ESO has.

Having a sub game really isn't free tho lolz ;) And I play ESO and we all sub ONLY cuz of the crafting bag if u must know, the games will ALWAYS try and suck u in with something
    KyleranZenJelly
  • BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 567

I don't think anyone questions that. The question is is it OK to charge money for that?

Yes, I know it's a bit oversimplified, but it is what Blizzard is ultimately doing here, designing rewards for which you have to wait while you swipe your credit card every month for a whole year.

Let's see if they will introduce the option to "...or unlock it right now for $59.99!" as a reaction to the time-gating-in-a-sub-game complaint.

Isn't that exactly what battle-passes are? The only difference here is that you don't pay extra for an upgraded reward path, since it all comes with your subscription (but then you can also say F2P battle-passes usually don't last 12 months of mandatory sub).

You get your progress trackers that you fill with random activity, objectives, milestones and minor rewards - it's all there. How is this not a battle-pass? Except in name, I mean...

Kyleran
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited January 2023

Xiaoki said:

Yeah, what these people are complaining about is that they want something but cant have it right now.

The real problem here is that MMOs have been fully infected by "instant gratification". Perhaps the above posters would prefer the Free to play method of paying $60 for these cosmetic outfits.

Also, cherry picking 2 Twitter posts equals news these days sadly.

Is MMORPG going to write an article on how the Earth is flat now? I can find at least 2 Twitter posts that say it. But, then, I can also find 2 Twitter posts that say the Earth is hollow. So, is the Earth flat and hollow?

The earth is flat on the outside but hollow on the inside. ;)
  • MallyxMallyx Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Been spending time recently in wow classic vanilla. Really enjoying it. Retail seems such an unappealing game in comparison. At least to me.
    corrosivechains
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Trolliver said:
    And after 1 year and 30 days, they will release this Warden crap for $30 purchase :D
    It's more likely after some period of time they will offer players the opportunity to buy out the remaining months/ items at a more advanced rate, like some battle passes do.  

Fallout 76 does this, about 2 weeks after new "season" starts (which are free) they'll let you buy out whatever slots /items are still open on your board.

The full board is like $100 I think, but only a few wallet warriors ever think of doing this. The more likely scenario is the casual players might only be 1/2 way through the board, so buy out the remaining time right before the season ends.

corrosivechains

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AngrakhanAngrakhan Member EpicPosts: 1,162

Angrakhan said:

I thought this was a new "feature" independent of the expac?

...and? I'm so glad I'm not playing this game at all. Better?
  • ZenJellyZenJelly Member UncommonPosts: 260
    This is a good thing.
    halfmystic
  • halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535
    I called this crap out day 1, and looks like I was right.

Where's that guy on these forums with the blind love towards WoW so I can say I told ya so?
    corrosivechains
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Trolliver said:
    And after 1 year and 30 days, they will release this Warden crap for $30 purchase :D
    Welcome to the forums! :)
  • DigDuggyDigDuggy Member RarePosts: 641
    When aren't players upset.