Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amateur Analysis: The Genre Is In Trouble!

cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
edited January 2023 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Hi folks,

Big caveat upfront: this is extremely amateur analysis so take it with a pinch of salt. I've been trying to get a "professional" journalist to do something like this for years but with no luck, so figured I'd give it a go.

My source data is shit, but it was the best I could find. See bottom of post for notes on the data.

1) MMORPGs Released Per Year

This makes the genre look like it's in real trouble. The last decade has seen a dramatic dropoff in terms of new games released.

Obviously, if we're looking to the future then we need to know what games are in development, but there's no data on that.

2) MMORPGs Available to Play Per Year

This makes the genre look a lot healthier. Despite the lack of new games, the old ones are still playable, so if you are a big fan of the genre then you still have a ton a choice.

That said, we all know that it is much harder to sell an old product compared to a new product. Also, given the typical lifespan of an MMO, expect to see a big dropoff in total playable games in the next few years as the old games shut down without being replaced by newer ones.

I also wonder whether this flattening of the graph simply represents the genre reaching maturity. Perhaps the market can only support about 130 MMOs? Without population data, we'll never know, but it's fun to speculate!

Notes on the data

Yeh, my base data came from Wikipedia, hence the big caveat at the top of the post. If you look through the wiki, you'll all be able to spot games in the list that aren't massively multiplayer. What that means is that these graphs are actually very optimistic: the situation is actually much worse. But, this list didn't include many of the usual offenders for mislabelling (like Diablo or Destiny or Fortnite) so it seemed better than some other alternatives.

I had intended to go through the list and work out the player capacity of each game (i.e. the scale of the multiplayer) but that proved to be impossible. Hardly any of the games on that list give official data on the size of their multiplayer, and it seemed hard to find community players who had posted about it. Understandable for old games, but even something like Lost Ark I couldn't find any data!

In terms of data sanitisation, there were a few things I did which will affect the graphs:

• Dates were all scaled back to just the year. So, if one game cancelled in jan, and another launched in dec, the graph thinks both were playable all year. Again, this makes the graphs more optimistic than reality.
  • If the game hasn't released, it's not in the graphs.
  • Everything before Meridian 59 was removed. Those games may have inspired MMORPGs, but they weren't MMORPGs.
  • The graphs are EU-focused. There are a bunch of games that are still running in Asia or NA, but if they got cancelled in EU then I count them as cancelled. This is, I suppose, a selfish point of view, but hell, if I can't play the game, it may as well not exist! That said, wiki is sparse on a lot of details so i expect some of the games have never been available in the EU.

Enjoy!
ChampieeoloeBrainyScotMendelnursobcbullyNildenAlBQuirkyDammam

Comments

• UwakionnaUwakionna Member RarePosts: 1,139
    Part of that can definitely be market saturation of currently catered to genres.

Part of that is also the migration from MMO to smaller "live service" titles.
    AlBQuirky
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Once upon a time playing online with others was FPS lobby games or MMORPGs.

It's a different world now not only in how everything pretty well has to be a multiplayer live service but also in how most shooters have added enough RPG elements to make them RPGish.

ChampieKyleranAlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    I LOL at anyone saying this market is saturated.  First in the last 10 years internet access has expanded so much.  On top of this the population of people that are familiar with technology regarding gaming has expanded.

Any tech based entertainment industry worried about saturation caused from 20 year old content is just making excuses for their complete lack of ability to make a worthwhile product.

The only reason people even play 20 year old outdated games is because of the lack of a viable alternative. As soon as a few games come out that are better overall than the old games, people will drop those old games super fast.

People can only play 1 game ever?  Hundreds of millions of gamers out there, but you think they all play only 1 game in their entire lifetime? The new games cant even retain the young generation let alone the old generation.  Why would a 14yr old kid play a 20 year old game if there was a decent choice? 

Is Doom hurting Fortnite also?  Maybe we should shut down all the FF games because they are taking all the players away from FFXIV LOL.

Can you just take a look at how few MMO's have come out the last 7 years?
    Take a step back and see the forest my goodness.
    AlBQuirky
    I wouldn't say the market in general is saturated, but I would point out the oversaturation of particular genres or subgenres within.

Thing to consider with MMOs and live service titles similarly is sunk cost as well as breadth of content offerings, along with the flipside of that butting heads against a "content locust" mentality.

Not sure I get the Doom v Fortnite thing, given target audience is a consideration there.

This isn't saying all genres are oversaturated , hence "currently catered to". And yeah some of them also fall under the "for lack of competition" banner.
    AlBQuirky
    Uwakionna said:
    I wouldn't say the market in general is saturated, but I would point out the oversaturation of particular genres or subgenres within.

Thing to consider with MMOs and live service titles similarly is sunk cost as well as breadth of content offerings, along with the flipside of that butting heads against a "content locust" mentality.

Not sure I get the Doom v Fortnite thing, given target audience is a consideration there.

This isn't saying all genres are oversaturated , hence "currently catered to". And yeah some of them also fall under the "for lack of competition" banner.
    Look at New World, it had 25mil copies sold after only a few months. 

WoW only sold like 800k copies its first 3 months.
    Eso only had 1.2mil copies sold at launch.

Its not a lack of customers, its a retention problem.

There is no extra cost to play New World after initial purchase.  Yet it is barely getting 30k players right now.  If they would have retained the 25mil players studios would all be trying to copy the New World formula.  24mil+ players wont even play this game FREE (since they already made the B2P purchase).

The vast majority of players in New World have never even done any end game dungeons.  People have quit way before that because they know the End Game is totally flawed.  So this is not a content locust problem in this case.

What other MMO is even worthy of playing in the last 7 years?

There has been a 7 year drought in MMO's and still these new MMO's cant get anyone to play.

Imagine if a decent movie was released and was the only 1 in theaters for 8 months LOL.  It would probably be one of the highest selling just by default (unless covid stopped people).

The deck it totally stacked in favor of these new MMO's yet none can even perform.
    (more intenet players, more gamers alive, lack of new releases, most are free or low cost, technology enhancements)  When new studios have all these advantages and it still cant even beat a 20 year old game.  There is a huge problem.

If someone wants to say in 2007 there was a saturation problem.  MAYBE that could be plausible.  But in 2023 with a 7 year drought with FEW AAA games released.  Blaming saturation is just an excuse.

AlBQuirky
    That doesn't preclude the prior statements, it just adds "poor user retention" to the list.

If people are trying new MMOs and a) going back to older ones or b leaving the overall genre entirely, that speaks to a problem in their design, but doesn't say it's not also because prior problems mentioned.
    AlBQuirky
    Uwakionna said:
    That doesn't preclude the prior statements, it just adds "poor user retention" to the list.

If people are trying new MMOs and a) going back to older ones or b leaving the overall genre entirely, that speaks to a problem in their design, but doesn't say it's not also because prior problems mentioned.
    It doesnt completely prove it, sure.  However where is the proof that saturation is a problem AT ALL other than lack of retention.  If its so saturated why are they even buying the game to begin with.  People usually buy things they intend to play.

What other entainment industries are having a saturation problem due to 20+ year old content?  I am interested in a similar example where current content cant compete with 20 year old content or even come close.  Especially in a technology based industry where graphics completely dates older content from new potential customers.
    AlBQuirky
    edited January 2023
    Brainy said:
    Uwakionna said:

It doesnt completely prove it, sure.  However where is the proof that saturation is a problem AT ALL other than lack of retention.  If its so saturated why are they even buying the game to begin with.  People usually buy things they intend to play.

What other entainment industries are having a saturation problem due to 20+ year old content?  I am interested in a similar example where current content cant compete with 20 year old content or even come close.  Especially in a technology based industry where graphics completely dates older content from new potential customers.
    What other entertainment industries are built around the pretense that you're continuously engaging with the exact same thing for months/years?

I'd say this is part of the reason the focus has moved towards other formats of live service titles too. Just the natural evolution of seeking cost to return with titles you can maintain with comparatively less effort to the development cycle of new titles and bank on for years to come, and less overhead than something one might call a fully fledged MMO.
    AlBQuirky
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited January 2023
    The main factor I think that's been left out so far is that MMORPGs had children like MOBA's, Co-op and Battle Royal (a step child with FPS); and those kids have outgrown their parents. MMORPG's are still the best genre in my eyes, but a proper MMORPG does not suit the "pick up and play" easy-mode playstyle or the "gaming rotation" playstyle of modern players. They do not expect to have to read anything to play a game or play it once a week to progress, let alone once a day.

One answer may be to bring the "children's" gameplay back into MMORPGs, MOBA style arenas for example.

I would not worry too much about the dataset OP, I think if it contains too many games that are not proper MMORPG's the overall picture will be the same. Unless you have MOBA, Co-Op etc in there the picture won't change.
    Post edited by Scot on
    MendelAlBQuirky
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited January 2023
    The people I used to play Everquest with, who I still keep in touch with don't even own PCs anymore. Lot of them game on other systems. PC sales is down again so there is that factor too.

ESO and FFXIV is popular because they can be played on consoles.
    TheocritusAlBQuirky
    Chamber of Chains
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Devs make garbage
    People stop playing them.
    DEVELOPERS THINK PEOPLE DON'T LIKE THEM ANYMORE.

They don't recognize its their fault that they suck.  It's like having a trail of toilet paper stick to the bottom of their shoe and walking around the mall.
    BrainyAlBQuirky
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    The "Golden Age" did not have 100 MMORPGs.. So maybe less is a good thing.

AlBQuirky

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    The genre has been in trouble for some while.  WoW launched, and drew huge numbers.  Developers tried to duplicate the WoW formula, and eschewed the innovative aspects that the 1st generation (UO, EQ1, AC, even DAoC) brought about.  The genre hasn't really introduced new systems since them.  Every one of the 1st Gen games plays differently, because they were based on different ideas.

WoW refined the ideas of the first generation and consolidated the idea of an MMORPG into a single entity.  A single entity built around taking ideas from other game and putting them into one.  Which got cloned by developers hoping to cash in like WoW had done.

The base of the genre, MMORPGs, spawned sub-genres like MOBAs and Survival.  These fragmented the customer base, and simplified the game play by focusing on smaller sets of the full MMORPG game play.  No developer has (yet) to push the boundaries of what an MMORPG is.

The genre has failed to evolve as no new ideas have entered the picture.  Thus, this stagnation is echoed in the number of game launches and available games, and probably even in the number of players (which is very difficult to collect and collate).

BrainyNildenAlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    edited January 2023
    Scot said:
    The main factor I think that's been left out so far is that MMORPGs had children like MOBA's, Co-op and Battle Royal (a step child with FPS); and those kids have outgrown their parents. MMORPG's are still the best genre in my eyes, but a proper MMORPG does not suit the "pick up and play" easy-mode playstyle or the "gaming rotation" playstyle of modern players. They do not expect to have to read anything to play a game or play it once a week to progress, let alone once a day.

One answer may be to bring the "children's" gameplay back into MMORPGs, MOBA style arenas for example.

I would prefer to go the other route: rather than trying to attract children with short attention spans, start designing your MMORPGs for a more mature audience.

More depth, more complexity, more long term planning, more strategy, on top of lots of casual roleplaying fun.

That way, kids can get early experience with short term, pick-up-and-play titles, then when they're older and ready to "graduate", they can enter the MMO genre.

If the player is too young, they're unlikely to want to stick around for months or years anyway, so why target them? Target their older siblings or parents, the players who actually have money and would be more willing to stick around.....even if their play schedule might not be as free as a kids.

That said, what you are suggesting is similar to something I've suggested in the past: scaling normal multiplayer games UP to MMO scales.

For example, Battlefield games that support say 500 players per map. Obviously wouldn't be an RPG, but I think that sort of thing could be great fun.
    BrainyAlBQuirkyAdamantinepantaro
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Scot said:

I would not worry too much about the dataset OP, I think if it contains too many games that are not proper MMORPG's the overall picture will be the same. Unless you have MOBA, Co-Op etc in there the picture won't change.

True points. 

The bigger picture needs to include mobile mmorpgs though. 

Most people in the world do not have a computer for gaming.

Mobile mmorpg are the biggest factor that is being overlooked.
     (Only on here everywhere else it is acknowledged)

There are plenty of mobile mmorpgs developed and released.
    More than any other platform. 

The reason I left off mobile MMORPGs is because I have yet to find one.

I am aware that a lot of them get developed and marketed as such, but not a single one that i've investigated has actually been massively multiplayer.

I'm sure there are one or two out there, but not many, not enough to really change the graphs.

Of course, im always willing to accept new information! Let me know your picks and i'll have a look.
    AlBQuirky
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    Mendel said:
    The genre has been in trouble for some while.  WoW launched, and drew huge numbers.  Developers tried to duplicate the WoW formula, and eschewed the innovative aspects that the 1st generation (UO, EQ1, AC, even DAoC) brought about.  The genre hasn't really introduced new systems since them.  Every one of the 1st Gen games plays differently, because they were based on different ideas.

WoW refined the ideas of the first generation and consolidated the idea of an MMORPG into a single entity.  A single entity built around taking ideas from other game and putting them into one.  Which got cloned by developers hoping to cash in like WoW had done.

The base of the genre, MMORPGs, spawned sub-genres like MOBAs and Survival.  These fragmented the customer base, and simplified the game play by focusing on smaller sets of the full MMORPG game play.  No developer has (yet) to push the boundaries of what an MMORPG is.

The genre has failed to evolve as no new ideas have entered the picture.  Thus, this stagnation is echoed in the number of game launches and available games, and probably even in the number of players (which is very difficult to collect and collate).

I don't think that many of the mmorpg follow the wow formula.  It's more all the large budget mmorpg follow the wow formula.  

OP says there are 130 playable mmorpg right now.  How many of those actually follow the wow formula?  Probably not that many.  

Many mmorpg would probably be a bit more successful if they get more budget.  But no one want to throw in the money unless it have shown to be successful in the past.  

AlBQuirky
    The reason I left off mobile MMORPGs is because I have yet to find one.

Pretty sure Chimeraland would qualify as a mobile MMO.  Its very sub par.  I played that and wasnt impressed at all.  It seemed to have all the elements thou.

AlBQuirky
    Mendel said:

I agree with most everything you said, however I would disagree on one point that the "genre hasnt really introduced new systems since then"

Change that to hasnt introduced any GOOD systems since then.

Free to play, cash shops, loot boxes, P2W, predatory monetization, arrows on the ground showing people where to go with autonavigating, button where character will play by itself and all you have to do is watch, limited skill buttons down to 3, UI's made for mobile, instanced everything etc...

The genre has been busy innovating, unfortunately every idea they seem to have is worthless.  Do they even test these on players before they implement them?  Probably not.
    MendelNildenAlBQuirky
    Uwakionna said:
    What other entertainment industries are built around the pretense that you're continuously engaging with the exact same thing for months/years?

Pretty much all the entertainment services have elements of this where the past service is still going but nobody is whining that the past service still active is somehow saturating the marketplace.

Music, has radio stations, spotify, even the old bands still play at concerts.  Yet still new bands can get popular.

TV, plenty of old series on TV, old movies etc... yet Disney keeps pumping out record setting movies and remakes.  All that content being available doesnt seem to be a problem.

Gaming, all the other genres have old games still available for players to play.  Yet still we see games coming out that pass all time records of previous titles.  Including brand new IP's.

Its pretty much just MMO's that seem to be complaining about saturation, just because all the lastest trash mmo's are flopping hard.
    AlBQuirky
    You're talking about music stations and TV as if they are equivalent to games individually there, that's not exactly a 1:1.

Even then, consider how much the delivery for those have changed. We've gone from cable and public broadcasting to a variety of groups competing for ownership of media and subs, with several large brands dominating that.

Sure we could compare that to MMOs and the drift in live service models, but that's not a favorable comparison and reinforces the negative points about few and long standing over any kind of medley scenario, and what that means to saturation of market on the level of how many can feasibly compete for a given space.
    AlBQuirky
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited January 2023
    Scot said:

True points. 

The bigger picture needs to include mobile mmorpgs though. 

Most people in the world do not have a computer for gaming.

Mobile mmorpg are the biggest factor that is being overlooked.
     (Only on here everywhere else it is acknowledged)

There are plenty of mobile mmorpgs developed and released.
    More than any other platform. 

We only overlook them because the quality is usually poor and mobiles have driven some of the worst new practices in gaming to our platforms. But they are knocking them out for sure.

And in my last post you actually agreed with me, what is going on? :)
    AlBQuirky
    Uwakionna said:
    You're talking about music stations and TV as if they are equivalent to games individually there, that's not exactly a 1:1.

Even then, consider how much the delivery for those have changed. We've gone from cable and public broadcasting to a variety of groups competing for ownership of media and subs, with several large brands dominating that.

Sure we could compare that to MMOs and the drift in live service models, but that's not a favorable comparison and reinforces the negative points about few and long standing over any kind of medley scenario, and what that means to saturation of market on the level of how many can feasibly compete for a given space.
    I am just saying that other entertainment industries and areas within gaming are not being effected by this "saturation effect" yet somehow without any evidence at all, we are supposed to believe the MMO genre is somehow being saturated.  The only data being used to support this theory is that MMO's lately cannot retain players.

Where is the evidence to disprove that the new games just do not resonate with players?  Where are the MMO's launching with high satisfication rating that are "not gaining customers due to saturation"?

MendelAlBQuirky
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited January 2023
    Deleted

Post edited by delete5230 on