Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Funny moments

AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
Sometimes funny things happen in MMORPGs. 
Lag caused a funny one for me and another player once. 

A group of us, 4 or 5, were told by our Guild Leader to follow him somewhere, and to hurry. That usually meant a PKer attack and we were called, as an Anti-PK guild, for help. This was always great fun, we saved the day, got more notoriety for our Guild, and it was a source of pride.

So our Leader takes off, and we all followed. As we ran, with UO's Isometric View, and with a little lag involved, our group spread out a little. When that happened, you just kept an eye on the guy ahead of you to follow. 

Well, me and another guy kept getting caught up in a dance of sorts. UO had Blocking, but you could run through the first guy. That caused a slight loss of Stamina, and then you couldn't run through anyone until you Stamina came back to full. 
I kept running through the other guy, then he'd overtake me again, and then he'd lag just enough that I ran into him again and got stopped. On and on. I knew what this was, caused by the sporadic lag.

And part of it was that you never saw the other Players, while moving, in the same spot as they saw themselves due to the connection speeds. 

Then he stops and says "What's going on?" 
I asked him what do you mean? He tells me that what was happening to me was happening to him. I knew that it was a lag issue but he didn't. 
So I explained it. 
The thing was, I never saw anyone else to follow, so I was following him, and when I was in the lead I just kept going straight, depending on his lag being better than mine enough for him to have seen someone else to follow. 

Then I asked him, "How long has it been since you saw one of our friends?" 
He says "Minutes. I was following you." 

A few seconds passed, and it dawned on him too. 
"We're lost, aren't we." 

So much for our heroic adventure. 

Once upon a time....

OG_SolareusScotWhiteLanternAlBQuirky

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited January 2023
    Back in the day some laughs were had about crafting in WoW, at my expense I may add. In WoW we did not have a Jewellery crafter as the last incumbent was moving on and I was asked as an officer who did not already craft if I would take it on.

Now I have always disliked crafting, it bores me no end, resource gathering is a forte, as far as I am concerned that's meditating in a MMO. But crafting is a chore you could do without, but I had no other real officer duties, the sort of duties I had in our previous MMORPG were being done by other people and I did feel I was not pulling my weight. Down the line I got involved we all sorts, but until then I had been twiddling my officer thumbs.

So I accepted and before he left the last guy sent me an absolute ton of gear to my mule. So I get myself up to a reasonable level and then the questions started about what upgrades someone might want and what they would need to give me. Now bearing in mind I am being sent all sorts now from guild members to make all this gear it was only top end that needed to obtain stuff, but still I was loathe to make too much of  anything. Why you ask? Well I had my eye on one of the officers from our old MMO who had not come over to WoW yet and was convincing her that Jewelry making was made for her. :)

Now in my defence she loved crafting and was already thinking of coming over to WoW and she was already an officer there, so she would be a shoe in as an officer for WoW. So when low level guildies asked about gems I was mindful of all the stuff she would need to level up quick and fobbed them off after a couple of requests, this included the alts of top level guys, "The new girl is coming, you can wait until then". This did produce some laughter, indeed one guy called me Feanor "as you never want to hand over a gem" or "don't ask (Scot) he is counting his gems", that sort of stuff.

She soon came over though and I dumped everything I had to her and as she was a real crafting sort the good name of Jewellery crafters was restored. :)
    AlBQuirkyAmaranthar
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    More than once while playing EQ 1, the battle between "heal over time" went head to with "damage over time" effects/spells.

The funniest instance for me was when my half-elf bard was solo hunting in Crushbone and had pulled Retlon Brenclog and his pet. Towards the end, I was able keep my heal song active and he his damaging root spell going. as the fight wound down. I would fall down, my heal would raise me up and I'd immediately activate my heal song and my damage over time song, fall down again, raise back up and activate my heal and damage over time songs. This happened about 4 times before Retlon finally died. This was the funniest one in my memory (probably because I caught it on video but haven't uploaded anywhere since taking my videos off of YouTube).

I miss those spells from EQ 1:)
    ScotAmaranthar

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    In Lineage 2 my guildies and I  were in Cruma tower. One of our people caught too much agro and started running around the room trying to shake them. He then runs out the door which looked out over a chasm in the tower that had a bridge leading to the exit.

We kept typing in chat for him to run or come back and we'll try to take care of the mass of mobs following him. 

Suddenly way in the distance I see his figure come into view with a giant train of mobs as his chat bubble says "OMG HELP ME!" and he then ran up the ramp.

There was something about us looking through the door, seeing him way in the distance with that chat bubble and with the entire tower (not really but it looked that way) on his a$$ that made us lose it.

Really miss those times.
    ScotAmarantharTillerAlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    edited January 2023
    Lag caused a funny one for me and another player once... [Snip]

"We're lost, aren't we." 

Back in the day everyone used to /stick on the "Minstrel" when traveling around the realm and particularly when roaming the frontier seeking enemy targets.

Unfortunately for some groups I lead in that role I was an overworked father of 3 children who never got more than 4-5 hrs sleep.

More than once I would nod off in my recliner and deadstick the group off a cliff into a pack of high level NPCs or straight into the withering fire or mezz from an enemy zerg.

I eventually transitioned to playing other roles such as healer or dps as they gave me more time to snap awake and react accordingly without wiping the entire group.

Then their was the time I nodded off and ran my character right into Onyxia in WOW only to hear the raid leader screaming into my headset, "Kyle, what the hell are you doing?"

Fortunately some healers managed to reach the exit to prevent a full wipe and rez everyone afterwards, but I still was given a -200 DKP penalty.

Which was much better than the -1000 DKP penalty I received for nodding off at the start of an assault on the final raid boss in BWL after the raid leader threatened everyone for going AFK on and off while trying to get started.

I did manage to negotiate the penalty down by 50% after pointing out that technically I wasn't AFK, but asleep instead.  ;)  (It was after 1am in my timezone) 

I really don't miss not doing raids anymore and I'm sure my old raid leaders don't miss me so much either.

:D

Cheers! 

ScotSovrathAmarantharAlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• mekheremekhere Member UncommonPosts: 250
    Hands down the 2 naked dark elves in world of warcarft that were sexting each other in the dungeon and the one guy that joined in. apparently, they erased it from the internet. But was that ever funny.  
    AlBQuirky
    This user is a registered flex offender. 
    Someone who is registered as being a flex offender is a person who feels the need to flex about everything they say.
    Always be the guy that paints the house in the dark.  
    Lucidity can be forged with enough liquidity and pharmed for decades with enough compound interest that a reachable profit would never end. 

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    Sovrath said:
    In Lineage 2 my guildies and I  were in Cruma tower. One of our people caught too much agro and started running around the room trying to shake them. He then runs out the door which looked out over a chasm in the tower that had a bridge leading to the exit.

We kept typing in chat for him to run or come back and we'll try to take care of the mass of mobs following him. 

Suddenly way in the distance I see his figure come into view with a giant train of mobs as his chat bubble says "OMG HELP ME!" and he then ran up the ramp.

There was something about us looking through the door, seeing him way in the distance with that chat bubble and with the entire tower (not really but it looked that way) on his a$$ that made us lose it.

Really miss those times.
    That's one of the funniest stories I've ever heard. Haha, thanks. 
    SovrathAlBQuirky

Once upon a time....

Kyleran said:

"We're lost, aren't we." 

Back in the day everyone used to /stick on the "Minstrel" when traveling around the realm and particularly when roaming the frontier seeking enemy targets.

Unfortunately for some groups I lead in that role I was an overworked father of 3 children who never got more than 4-5 hrs sleep.

More than once I would nod off in my recliner and deadstick the group off a cliff into a pack of high level NPCs or straight into the withering fire or mezz from an enemy zerg.

I eventually transitioned to playing other roles such as healer or dps as they gave me more time to snap awake and react accordingly without wiping the entire group.

Then their was the time I nodded off and ran my character right into Onyxia in WOW only to hear the raid leader screaming into my headset, "Kyle, what the hell are you doing?"

Fortunately some healers managed to reach the exit to prevent a full wipe and rez everyone afterwards, but I still was given a -200 DKP penalty.

Which was much better than the -1000 DKP penalty I received for nodding off at the start of an assault on the final raid boss in BWL after the raid leader threatened everyone for going AFK on and off while trying to get started.

I did manage to negotiate the penalty down by 50% after pointing out that technically I wasn't AFK, but asleep instead.  ;)  (It was after 1am in my timezone) 

I really don't miss not doing raids anymore and I'm sure my old raid leaders don't miss me so much either.

Cheers! 

Just a side note, as we've talked about socialization in gaming, those helpful things like the speed of a Minstrel are a great way for players to help each other and make friends. 
    I'm not sure how much can be dug up to put in a game. I'm gonna make a separate post about ideas for that. 
    AlBQuirky

Once upon a time....

Kyleran said:

"We're lost, aren't we." 

Cheers! 

Just a side note, as we've talked about socialization in gaming, those helpful things like the speed of a Minstrel are a great way for players to help each other and make friends. 
    I'm not sure how much can be dug up to put in a game. I'm gonna make a separate post about ideas for that. 
    When players had separate roles and abilities others did not they felt they could really offer something to a guild and a group. The solo '(one) man is an island' development has meant that players can hardly offer anything that everyone else can also do. What is astonishing is that even in a game like Battlefield that is not necessarily a team game and has many players who are solo, you can still do more for your side even if playing solo than you can in a modern MMORPG.
    AlBQuirky
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:

"We're lost, aren't we." 

Cheers! 

When players had separate roles and abilities others did not they felt they could really offer something to a guild and a group. The solo '(one) man is an island' development has meant that players can hardly offer anything that everyone else can also do. What is astonishing is that even in a game like Battlefield that is not necessarily a team game and has many players who are solo, you can still do more for your side even if playing solo than you can in a modern MMORPG.
    Game designers need to actually try, and want it. I think these days the idea has been lost in the Cash Shop build design by some "cut rate" companies. But I haven't played them so I don't know the extent. 
    AlBQuirky

Once upon a time....

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Nothing funny ever happened to me, or I've never seen anything funny.

Never thought about that !
    AlBQuirky
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:

"We're lost, aren't we." 

Cheers! 

I agree with what you are saying but I think the downside of creating dependencies between players in order to get certain benefits such as enhanced run speed handicaps players who find themselves in a group which is missing one of the roles. 

Healers, speeders, buff/debuffers, and of course in DAOC, the infamous mezzers were vital to forming a functional group and if any role was in short supply it mean gamers were standing around.

It worked both ways btw to as a Minstrel each group needed only one, and their were evenings I stood around as there was no groups in need of a 2'nd speeder.

The balance was tricky, other days people asked me to leave the group I was in, quite often my own guildmates who felt I owed it to be available at their beck and call.

Often I ignored such requests, even flagged myself as AFK or DND because I felt bad just dropping from my current group and leaving them in the lurch.

I got punted from a guild once for doing this but didn't care as overall I had a pretty good reputation in my server (sleep disorders aside) of being reliable so rarely had issues with getting invited to a pick up roam in the frontier.

So I think dependencies were scaled way back or even eliminated in order to help ensure there would be less standing around waiting on others.

For better and worse, as most decisions like this go.

AmarantharAlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:

"We're lost, aren't we." 

Cheers! 

I agree with what you are saying but I think the downside of creating dependencies between players in order to get certain benefits such as enhanced run speed handicaps players who find themselves in a group which is missing one of the roles. 

Healers, speeders, buff/debuffers, and of course in DAOC, the infamous mezzers were vital to forming a functional group and if any role was in short supply it mean gamers were standing around.

It worked both ways btw to as a Minstrel each group needed only one, and their were evenings I stood around as there was no groups in need of a 2'nd speeder.

The balance was tricky, other days people asked me to leave the group I was in, quite often my own guildmates who felt I owed it to be available at their beck and call.

Often I ignored such requests, even flagged myself as AFK or DND because I felt bad just dropping from my current group and leaving them in the lurch.

I got punted from a guild once for doing this but didn't care as overall I had a pretty good reputation in my server (sleep disorders aside) of being reliable so rarely had issues with getting invited to a pick up roam in the frontier.

So I think dependencies were scaled way back or even eliminated in order to help ensure there would be less standing around waiting on others.

Excellent points. This just shows how much thought is required in making these things. 
    AlBQuirky

Once upon a time....

edited January 2023
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:

"We're lost, aren't we." 

Cheers! 

I agree with your take, but that just means development should always go for the easiest on players option. We have to be able to live with some difficulty in a game or the gameplay becomes too meaningless.

You can mitigate what you said with group finders and sticking with a guild that realises that if you did not know they were going to group up and had put yourself forward you have no obligation to go. All that requires is the officers doing a bit of organising so the guild knows what they are doing, weekly raids, PvP and so on.

That's the sort of thing I used to do, I never got asked to craft again for some strange reason. :)
    AlBQuirky
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Kyleran said:

"We're lost, aren't we." 

Cheers! 

I helped a few folks in EQ 1 with both my "speed Song" and "Healing Song." I had to invite them for it to effect them, but that was no problem except when I had to explain to them it was OK and good for them.

I even helped a high level monk travel to Sol A (or was it B?) to drop off a crapload of stuff for a quest he had. he was so bogged down I had to twist my strength AND speed songs to get there quickly. He gave me 100 platinum pieces for my work :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

AlBQuirky said:
    Kyleran said:

"We're lost, aren't we." 

Cheers! 

I helped a few folks in EQ 1 with both my "speed Song" and "Healing Song." I had to invite them for it to effect them, but that was no problem except when I had to explain to them it was OK and good for them.

I even helped a high level monk travel to Sol A (or was it B?) to drop off a crapload of stuff for a quest he had. he was so bogged down I had to twist my strength AND speed songs to get there quickly. He gave me 100 platinum pieces for my work :)
    Nice. That's fun stuff, in my mind.:smile:

One favorite of mine was how players helped each other out in UO, where MOBs would loot you, everything dropped on your corpse, and after a while your corpse and anything on it decayed and deleted. 
    That was a good way to meet decent people and start friendships. Guilds used it to help them recruit. People walked away feeling good. It was "win" in several ways. 
    AlBQuirky

Once upon a time....

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Their should never be a funny moment in a real mmorpg, if you laugh your not playing hard enough.  

The mad squirrel on the rock has spoken !
    AmarantharAlBQuirky
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    edited January 2023
    The funniest story I can think of right now that I havent told yet on this site was back when I was playing Lineage 2 freeshards (the original game was too slow to level) on a Shillien Elder and once I had a super hard time to heal this one Destroyer in absolute top gear. Really drained my health (correction: mana) like crazy.

Later it turned out he had used Lionheart. The point of Lionheart is that it massively lowers your armor, but on the other hand you get faster health regeneration. Its really only meant to be used out of battle, between mobs, especially when you solo. Or maybe if you arent tanking and the healer is too busy healing the main tank or something like that. Not when a mob is actually hitting you, because then you will get a lot more damage than usual.

Post edited by Adamantine on
    AlBQuirky
    edited January 2023
    I was in an Anti-PKer Guild, and we also used UO's War System to do planned battles with other PvP guilds. 

One time our guild went to a bank in a small town, and as happenstance would have it, another PvP guild was there too. They were getting rather bothersome with their boasting and claims that they were better than we were. 

We were a RP guild too, so we tried to stay in character all of the time. 
    UO didn't have many animations, but they had a button to push that wrapped your text in *s. So you could use that and Text your animations, like *Waves*. 

We had this one guy in our guild that was a super nice guy and was loads of fun with his RP humor. 
    While the other guild was telling us how much better they were than us, our Guild Leader was issuing a challenge to them to fight it out on the spot. We were just outside of Guard Zone, next to the bank, so we could do it right there and settle it. 
    The other guild was reluctant though, saying they wanted to get prepared first. 

So this guy in our guild, the fun guy, starts walking around, this way and that, going:
    "Bwawwwk bwawk-bwawk-bwawk"
    *bobs head forwards and back*
    *scratches ground with feet*
    "Bwawwwk bwawk-bwawk-bwawk"

Over and over again every time they said they wanted to get prepared. 

We were laughing our little 1/4" butts off. 

Just to finish the story.....

Finally they said "ok, lets do a one vs. one fight. But we want your champion to be that chicken-man." 

That was a mistake.
    Our guy used a crossbow, on horseback, and UO had just bumped up the damage. None of us knew how effecting it was after that bump. 

So they lined up, facing each other and at a distance, and someone *drops flag* to set it off. 

The first shot of the crossbow must have rolled high damage and the opponent was suddenly almost dead. He struggled to get a heal off. 
    But my friend kicked his horse into a short charge, pulled up short, and finished him with another shot. It was over before anyone could say a thing. Or even think. 
    It surprised us all. 

The other guy got Resed, and while putting his armor back on says "I'm so embarrassed." 
    No one else knew what to say. 
    AlBQuirky

Once upon a time....