Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are internet forums dying ?

AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
Cant help but notice that no matter what kind of forum I check out, they all seem to be dead.

AlBQuirky

Comments

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Yes. Instant communication is winning the "Internet Whiney" wars :)
    Adamantine

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    sadface :(
    AlBQuirky
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Internet forums definitely are dying, but I don't think they'll fully die out.

Forums have existed for millenia in all shapes and sizes and still serve a useful purpose. Internet forums may have lost a lot of people to instant chat, but there are still enough people left that enjoy deeper discussions and asynchronous communication that some forums will survive.

I do think that online forums require a bit more effort to make them work properly. Moderation is a big thing: if a discussion is going to last weeks, one person can easily derail it along the way. We also need a steady influx of ideas to discuss - or new members to repeat old discussions with - and that can be hard to achieve. With MMOs, this is really difficult given the lack of new games, but it can be hard for any forum.
    AlBQuirkyAdamantine
    Internet forums definitely are dying, but I don't think they'll fully die out.

Forums have existed for millenia in all shapes and sizes and still serve a useful purpose. Internet forums may have lost a lot of people to instant chat, but there are still enough people left that enjoy deeper discussions and asynchronous communication that some forums will survive.

I do think that online forums require a bit more effort to make them work properly. Moderation is a big thing: if a discussion is going to last weeks, one person can easily derail it along the way. We also need a steady influx of ideas to discuss - or new members to repeat old discussions with - and that can be hard to achieve. With MMOs, this is really difficult given the lack of new games, but it can be hard for any forum.

Yes. For me, message boards preferred way of communicating. I get a chance to read and digest before responding. Even after a "nasty response", I will many times reread it and think better of posting it. Many times I've deleted a response after realizing it really added nothing to topic at hand :)
    Adamantine

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I'll be posting on them until the lights have gone out.
    AlBQuirkyAdamantine
    Eir_S said:
    Same here.

Good to see you again. Or have we just not been posting in the same areas?

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• MorningDawningMorningDawning Newbie CommonPosts: 20
    I think, no, In Australia a lot people disccussing and have conversation on forums.
    For example now, I spent 5 hours every day on forums every day)
    AlBQuirkyAdamantine
  • MorningDawningMorningDawning Newbie CommonPosts: 20
    edited January 2023

writing this on forums is so troll

AlBQuirky
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Sometimes we need fantasy to survive reality 
    https://biturl.top/rU7bY3
    Beyond the shadows there's always light
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    ... I dont know what Discord is ...

*googles*

Ooooh right yeah we used such programs a lot when I was still MMO-ing. It was like always another program though and I've forgotten all their names.

Not sure how THAT would ever replace forums. In my experience rather on the contrary MMO guilds create their own private discussion forums.

I was more wondering about sites like Whatsapp or Twitter replacing forums and people just dont liking the forum format in general anymore.

AlBQuirky
  • Hikikomorigamer2007Hikikomorigamer2007 Member UncommonPosts: 12
    They have been dying for about 10 years they went out of style in the early 2010s when social media sites like Reddit and smartphones took over and replaced the old forums of the 90s and 2000s pre-social media internet.    
    AlBQuirky
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    AlBQuirky said:
    Eir_S said:
    Same here.

Good to see you again. Or have we just not been posting in the same areas?
    No, I hadn't posted in almost 10 years.  I'm surprised anyone remembers me.  lol.  I remember you too.
    AlBQuirky
  • Cmccu84Cmccu84 Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Not sure about dead. But they need to continue. Some hidden games were found from the forums.
    AlBQuirky
  • spectralaspectrala Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Let's bring these forums back to life! We just need to find the right topic to spark some conversation. Time to put on our thinking caps and revive this place!
  • AnyaForgerAnyaForger Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Use https://thefontsgenerator.com/ to infuse your social media presence with some originality. Examine a range of typefaces to find one that fits your style and mood. Use The Font Generator to up your content game and make your material stand out from the pack.
  • DaveFranklin21DaveFranklin21 Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    The role of online exam takers cannot be overstated. They are the unsung heroes who navigate through the digital landscape of assessments with precision and dedication. As someone deeply entrenched in this domain, I firmly believe that online exam takers, especially the top online exam takers in USA, deserve commendation for their tireless efforts. Their ability to thrive in a virtual environment speaks volumes about their adaptability and commitment to learning. In my opinion, they are the true pioneers of the digital era of education, setting a shining example for others to follow.