Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's to blame (read on)

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited January 2023 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
All my years here I've been at odds with the posters here.  I'm sorry, I'm still right.

Here's why:
- It seems that the majority, no infact everyone feels its the NEW GENERATION OF PLAYERS that want what we have now.
You think developers are up standing citizens and giving the players what they want. I get it, it's very noble of people to think of the good in people. 

- On the other hand you think developers know what their doing AND KNOW WHAT PEOPLE WANT. 

Two possibilities Here, But one thing for sure you blame the players/new generation, not Developers !!! 

Developers get away with murder here. They have the populations think EVERYONE ELSE BUT "YOU" ARE LOVING THEIR PRODICT OF SIMPLE EASY.

It's a publicity stunt......I think back around 1990 or so Hollywood made a Superman movie, they advertised is more heavy than any other movie played for weeks on many channels..... They claim "Its the best action move ever"...... How can they claim that ? It's not even released yet !!!!!
It flopped and was a humiliating time for Hollywood. 

Publicity stunt.......This is mmorpgs make the single person feel wrong verses the majority. 

OK, now the point of all of this !!!! 

Companies, will make mmorpgs their way regardless of the real population, why.... cost and lack of professionalism.

To put it simply, to make you feel like you stand alone in not liking their product.   

One last thing....If you like the crap we have now, you don't count.....This is for the real mmorpg players. 

Champieeoloe

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited January 2023
    All my years here I've been at odds with the posters here.  I'm sorry, I'm still right.
    Thinks most every long time poster here. They are all wrong of course, it's been long accepted (by only myself of course) that I am the only person who actually is right all of the time and on every subject.

:) 

I thought perhaps I logged in MoP or something, but no, I'm in the right place.

Realize you are accusing posters here of not being critical enough (since they don't agree with your extreme viewpoints) while more than a few gamers on other forums or subreddits consider MMORPG.com to be a "cesspool of negativity."

Developers, games and other posters opinions are regularly lambasted or vilified but everyone of course does not all agree on which ones or why.

Much of what is said here is based on observation of the gaming landscape today and it seems a pretty safe assumption many gamers enjoy what's available today in terms of designs since they have no problem paying sometimes far more money than I would ever dream of spending.

Despite our impeccable tastes who are we to tell others what they do or do not enjoy playing?  They really aren't all marketing brainwashed drones, well no more than everyone else is, just the nature of living in a consumer based economy.

As Madonna once famously sang so very long ago, "You know that we are living in a material world"

Present company excepted of course.

;)
    ScotKidRiskChampieOldKingLog

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited January 2023
    Kyleran said:
    Thinks most every long time poster here. They are all wrong of course, it's been long accepted (by only myself of course) that I am the only person who actually is right all of the time and on every subject.

Realize you are accusing posters here of not being critical enough (since they don't agree with your extreme viewpoints) while more than a few gamers on other forums or subreddits consider MMORPG.com to be a "cesspool of negativity."

Developers, games and other posters opinions are regularly lambasted or vilified but everyone of course does not all agree on which ones or why.

Much of what is said here is based on observation of the gaming landscape today and it seems a pretty safe assumption many gamers enjoy what's available today in terms of designs since they have no problem paying sometimes far more money than I would ever dream of spending.

Despite our impeccable tastes who are we to tell others what they do or do not enjoy playing?  They really aren't all marketing brainwashed drones, well no more than everyone else is, just the nature of living in a consumer based economy.

As Madonna once famously sang so very long ago, "You know that we are living in a material world"

;)
    Unfortunately, I have proof !
    Why is this Forum almost dead ? 

Simple, nothing to talk about.

Champieeoloe
    Kyleran said:

;)

Hasn't been a major western MMORPG released in the past 8 years or so outside of New World is the biggest reason I'm thinking.

Also much of the conversation has shifted to other mediums, countless subreddits, Discord servers, social media platforms such as Instagram, Twitter etc and of course, Twitch streamers.

Posting in free, gaming related forums is a dying art I'm afraid, some of the larger ones like Eurogamer or PCGamer are flooded with ads and always pushing to get customers to sub for additional services or support.

My son loves to play video games on PC, Playstation and Switch but my guess he almost never posts comments on gaming sites on any medium, he prefers to spend his time just playing games.

KidRiskChampie

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited January 2023
    @MMOExposed posted:
    <quote>
    " Lately I been somewhat desperate for a new MMO to play".

Thousands of post EXACTLY LIKE THIS ONE in the last 10 years. 

Yet this calling out goes ignored for a good answer, usually the standard "Have you tried ESO ?"....that's the only thing most could come up with. 
     Face it mmorpgs suck now. 

Your one of the noble ones I talked about in the original post.  Good for you remain positive in the time of crap, I respect that  ;)  
    Champieeoloe
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    edited January 2023
    I am not sure how much "developers" make the decisions about the development of games any more. It is an industry led, not creatively led approach to producing new games. Marketing and metrics count for more than vision and originality and when I say originality I include putting a new spin on an old format.

Of course companies can lead the public down the wrong path but we play are part too. Going to a restaurant is a social experience, eating at home is economical, but ordering in from a restaurant has neither of those benefits but it is the most convenient. That business has boomed, but we are the ones sacrificing social or economic benefits for convenience, it is our choice.

This is similar to what has happened in gaming, difficulty is replaced with ease, depth is replaced with pick-up-and-play, but it is more convenient and that almost lazy attitude is what has driven so much of what we see as technological "progress" today. We always loose something, the question so rarely asked is are we gaining more than we lose?
    Scot said:

This is similar to what has happened in gaming, difficulty is replaced with ease, depth is replaced with pick-up-and-play, but it is more convenient and that almost lazy attitude is what has driven so much of what we see as technological "progress" today. We always loose something, the question so rarely asked is are we gaining more than we lose?
    Well, I can watch Netflix while gaming most days, something not really possible with more challenging content including dungeons and raids, so that's one positive I can come up with, easier to multi-task.

Wrapped up the Witcher Blood Origins mini series last night and completed my "chores" in New World.... Whoo hoo!

;)
    Champie

• AngrakhanAngrakhan Member EpicPosts: 1,162
    You guys who want these hardcore souls-like experiences out of MMOs crack me up. All the problems in the modern world can be traced back to when MMOs became easy according to you. Try this little experiment sometime: go to some event with a ton of strangers like a sporting event or a concert or even just go to the local mall. Chat up a few people about your most memorable MMO experiences and note their reactions. You're going to find a common theme: no one gives a shit.  The only people that do are you and your little niche hardcore MMO echo chamber on the forums.

You want to know why gaming companies don't cater to you? It's because they want to actually make a profit from their 10's to 100's of millions of dollars investment and your tiny little demographic of gamers aren't going to cut it when it comes to ROI.
    KyleranChampie
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I hardly play any MMORPGs any more because the current action oriented ones are beyond my abilities to perform adequately in groups. I do not have the confidence to play them in groups.

The older ones have totally soured my memory of them. I tried quite a few times to play later versions of WoW with the dungeon finder. My healer role was very much abused and this was while my fingers were far more nimble than the calcified state they are in now. I told myself at some point that playing with strangers with foul mouths were not why I log in to play a game. I wanted to spend my time more pleasantly online. I gradually drew away from MMORPGs.

I have been lucky in some guilds but my inability to keep up with the grouping because of my real life commitments made it impossible to turn up for raids and also earn money to pay for consumables. You cannot expect your guildees to carry you because that isn't a comfortable position to be in and quite honestly it is very unfair to the others who do spend the time and deserve a spot far more than I do.

I started soloing a  lot and gradually drifted to pet classes where I can group or solo and I grouped a lot in City of Heroes which I enjoyed immensely. For a time I also enjoyed the pet class in Phantasy Star Online 2 where you're automatically grouped when you enter raids and I was able to contribute and even be a top performer at times to my utter astonishment.

I think the way things are now isn't really conducive to the type of MMORPGs I long to play. My age has prevented me from fully playing the current ones with a reasonable degree of competence. The genre has moved on and left me behind.

MMORPGs have become too monetized and a nightmare to navigate as far as their different systems to advance, storage restrictions, currencies and gear upgrading is concerned. This has turned me off as I really have no wish to spend hours and hours trying to gain resources only to lose them to a bad gamble at an upgrade. This RNG gear upgrading is a nefarious gambling hole that I have no wish to participate in. Yet every new game has this in some form or another and while creating this system they give you the solutions that you can pay for in real money. Well fuck that.

I think my interest has also changed and I no longer want to raid all that much either. This genre has lost its shine and I am not buying newer MMORPGs. Yet the MMO genre itself has grown enormously and there are multiple subgenres that have drawn millions to its fold. The MMO genre itself is a huge money maker and it does not need the type of games I am craving for. It won't make them because there is a larger market out there willing to gamble and strut about with their paid cosmetics for them to even worry about the players they have lost.

This genre has evolved and it has enough participants to be extremely profitable. Why in heaven's name would any company want to go back to the meager earnings they once made with the type of MMORPGs we wax about here. Look at Genshin Impact, it's a mobile game making so much money and I watched my son play it and he was playing it totally solo and for hours and hours.

You can blame any number of factors but the bottom line is that gaming companies do not need players like the OP or me. They are not making games for us any more because we are not the demographic they want to court. We are useless to them. The genre itself will thrive and change and go on without us as clearly evidenced by the bot infested Lost Ark. Any game that can boast that number of bots must indeed be very successful as bots don't proliferate in unsuccessful games.

I still play games daily but I don't play MMORPGs any more. I don't think I am alone in this and I doubt this will change in the future.
    KyleranChampieMendelCogohi
    Chamber of Chains
    edited January 2023
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:

Well, I can watch Netflix while gaming most days, something not really possible with more challenging content including dungeons and raids, so that's one positive I can come up with, easier to multi-task.

Wrapped up the Witcher Blood Origins mini series last night and completed my "chores" in New World.... Whoo hoo!

;)
    I realise you are pulling my leg, but we have become part of the problem. I am still on Witcher Series 2, then I have WBO and the animated film to go, rather behind. Have you seen Wednesday? I will admit I was expecting irritating teenagers in high school with a dash of woke and was pleasantly surprised. Best thing I saw last year.

cheyane said:
    I hardly play any MMORPGs any more because the current action oriented ones are beyond my abilities to perform adequately in groups. I do not have the confidence to play them in groups.
    You could always try a like minded guild, there are players out there with exactly the attitude and issues you have. Not saying that's easy but they are out there.
    edited January 2023
    Angrakhan said:
    You guys who want these hardcore souls-like experiences out of MMOs crack me up. All the problems in the modern world can be traced back to when MMOs became easy according to you. Try this little experiment sometime: go to some event with a ton of strangers like a sporting event or a concert or even just go to the local mall. Chat up a few people about your most memorable MMO experiences and note their reactions. You're going to find a common theme: no one gives a shit.  The only people that do are you and your little niche hardcore MMO echo chamber on the forums.

You want to know why gaming companies don't cater to you? It's because they want to actually make a profit from their 10's to 100's of millions of dollars investment and your tiny little demographic of gamers aren't going to cut it when it comes to ROI.
    Firstly, I like most on here who harken back to old school would propose a hybrid between old and new. Few of us think everything about old school is the way to go, far from it. No corpse runs for example and I would not say no to action combat if it was good enough, by which I mean the avatars did not all seem like carbon copies of each other in a zerg.

Secondly, for you to be correct about "they want to actually make a profit" are you saying MMORPG's from EQ to LotR did not make a profit, a huge one at that? Or that classic has not done well in the various MMOs it came out in? I think modern MMOs need a revaluation about the best way to make a MMO and all the answers don't come from old school, but some do. For example better action combat would obviously come from the likes of co-op games not EQ!
    Post edited by Scot on
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:

;)
    I realise you are pulling my leg, but we have become part of the problem. I am still on Witcher Series 2, then I have WBO and the animated film to go, rather behind. Have you seen Wednesday? I will admit I was expecting irritating teenagers in high school with a dash of woke and was pleasantly surprised. Best thing I saw last year.

cheyane said:

Wait, wut?  No, I was serious, I watch Netflix all the time while gaming, though I sometimes have to watch some episodes a couple of times to catch everything. :)

Wednesday was a great show, I was relieved it wasn't like watching Riverdale or similar.

But I do take your point, game design has gone down a route of being more streamlined and convenient, for better or worse depending on one's preferences.

I think you were the person who said increasing the overall level of difficulty in games is rarely the direction developers take these days, with a few rarer outliers like Dark Souls / Elden Ring and the like.

Mendel

edited January 2023
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:

;)

cheyane said:

Wait, wut?  No, I was serious, I watch Netflix all the time while gaming, though I sometimes have to watch some episodes a couple of times to catch everything. :)

Wednesday was a great show, I was relieved it wasn't like watching Riverdale or similar.

But I do take your point, game design has gone down a route of being more streamlined and convenient, for better or worse depending on one's preferences.

I think you were the person who said increasing the overall level of difficulty in games is rarely the direction developers take these days, with a few rarer outliers like Dark Souls / Elden Ring and the like.

I always bang on about difficulty I must admit, I did use DS to illustrate what has happened to gaming, but I don't want Dark Souls the MMO; its a rebalancing we need, not "hard as possible" design. You are not the first person to be playing a MMO while doing something else, but we should not be able to do that. Games should be engaging enough that they demand our full attention, why are we playing them otherwise?

Now I will admit when I gather resources in MMOs that's what I consider  'meditation gaming' as your mind just drifts, so I could have done something else while doing that but chose not to. Like listening to music, you don't have to always do something else while listening. And if you have to watch an episode twice your game is saying play me! :)
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,428
    It's not us on the forums who are to blame, but your general run of the mill sheeple who will gulp anything thrown at them. And, more dangerously, enable corporations to do anything and get away scott free. 70-75$ games on PC? Let's hope that sheeple wake up.
    delete5230
  • BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038

Here's why:
    - It seems that the majority, no infact everyone feels its the NEW GENERATION OF PLAYERS that want what we have now.

LOL get real, you think you are the only person that doesnt like the stuff coming out currently?  There are plenty of people labeled as "haters" on the current MMO's coming out.

The problem with your arguments is that you don't know how to make coherent points.  Just like this one when you say "FACT EVERYONE", which implies ZERO other people are on the other side.  Which puts everyone against you because the statement is ludicrous.  How is this even a Fact in your mind.

The other problem is that this is a MMO Fan site.  So it stands to reason there will be alot of fans from current MMO's here because this site covers current MMO's.

KyleranSovrathChampieCogohi
  • BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038

One last thing....If you like the crap we have now, you don't count.....This is for the real mmorpg players. 

Here's why:

This statement right here is why you feel everyone is against you.  Its because you are fighting yourself.  This contradicting statement is the problem.  You said above you are the only one that doesnt like what we have now.  Then you who are you directing this statment too? Yourself? I am confused.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Kyleran said:

;)

Get some developers to launch a few games and you'll have a lot to talk about.

At the moment it's all perpetual "wait and see." At least there are mmorpg's in development. Whether it's the eventual launch of archeage 2, NC's newest mmorpg or the "we'll believe it when we see it" games such as pantheon, Camelot Unchained, or Star Citizen (which is farther along then the previous two), at least there are things in the works to talk about as information is released.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:

;)

At the moment it's all perpetual "wait and see." At least there are mmorpg's in development. Whether it's the eventual launch of archeage 2, NC's newest mmorpg or the "we'll believe it when we see it" games such as pantheon, Camelot Unchained, or Star Citizen (which is farther along then the previous two), at least there are things in the works to talk about as information is released.

I'm impressed we've been able to keep the conversations as lively as we have considering how little actual material (new MMOs) we've had to work with.

But some of the poor dead horses have been absolutely pulverized over the years...

;)
    SovrathBrainydelete5230MendelCogohi

BIG problem with that !!

They make crap games.
    No one likes them. 

Therefore mmorpgs are worthless to make 
    Arglebargleeoloe

BIG problem with that !!

They make crap games.
    No one likes them. 

I'm fairly certain there are people who like them. Or at least like them enough to run through the content until the next update.

That's your problem, you make these declamatory statements that are solely based off your view of the world. It's really as if no one else exists.

If I log into ANY of the games you want to be "so bad that everybody hates them" I'll find people.

Especially when there's a launch of new content.
    ChampieArglebargle

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Sovrath said:

BIG problem with that !!

They make crap games.
    No one likes them. 

I'm fairly certain there are people who like them. Or at least like them enough to run through the content until the next update.

That's your problem, you make these declamatory statements that are solely based off your view of the world. It's really as if no one else exists.

If I log into ANY of the games you want to be "so bad that everybody hates them" I'll find people.

Here's an example....I logged into GW2 and ran Tequatl world event today just for the heck of it; first time in 5 years. It was just as packed as I remember years ago. Obviously lots of people like playing it; even if I got sick of it long ago myself. Been there done that.

Delete has such a narrow world view I sometimes wonder if he actually ever leaves his house. While I find that most MMOs aren't as exciting for me anymore, I know others out there love what they are playing still. Perhaps he's just a very small minority of gamers that aged out of the genera and needs to just move on, or make his own game.
    Sovrath
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

edited January 2023
    Tiller said:
    Sovrath said:

BIG problem with that !!

They make crap games.
    No one likes them. 

Here's an example....I logged into GW2 and ran Tequatl world event today just for the heck of it; first time in 5 years. It was just as packed as I remember years ago. Obviously lots of people like playing it; even if I got sick of it long ago myself. Been there done that.

Delete has such a narrow world view I sometimes wonder if he actually ever leaves his house. While I find that most MMOs aren't as exciting for me anymore, I know others out there love what they are playing still. Perhaps he's just a very small minority of gamers that aged out of the genera and needs to just move on, or make his own game.
    if their is an apple on a table and you say its an orange... its still an apple.
    Facts are facts even if its 20 to 1 in favor of it being an orange.
    Tiller said:
    Sovrath said:

BIG problem with that !!

They make crap games.
    No one likes them. 

if their is an apple on a table and you say its an orange... its still an apple.

A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat...

see, I can do that too.

Your other problem is you don't respect other people's opinions and preferences.
    ChampieArglebargle

Sovrath said:
    Tiller said:
    Sovrath said:

BIG problem with that !!

They make crap games.
    No one likes them. 

A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat...

see, I can do that too.

Your other problem is you don't respect other people's opinions and preferences.
    My example fits the discussion, yours doesn't.  
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Tiller said:
    Sovrath said:

BIG problem with that !!

They make crap games.
    No one likes them. 

But if it's 20 to one on wanting to eat it, then it's good eating. Just like currently popular MMOs are good games and their devs are good on the merit that people who play MMOs choose those games.
    Kyleran

Vrika said:
    Tiller said:
    Sovrath said:

BIG problem with that !!

They make crap games.
    No one likes them. 

But if it's 20 to one on wanting to eat it, then it's good eating. Just like currently popular MMOs are good games and their devs are good on the merit that people who play MMOs choose those games.
    Well, if 20 people like playing their mmo and watching TV, because they are so easy like @Kyleran ;then I'm in the wrong place.
    Kyleran