Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashes of Creation End Of Year Stream Reflects On 2022, Introduces New Devs And New Studio | MMORPG.c

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited December 2022 in Videos Discussion

imageAshes of Creation End Of Year Stream Reflects On 2022, Introduces New Devs And New Studio | MMORPG.com

Ashes of Creation's latest stream is a special one, as the team at Intrepid took a look back on 2022, as well as introduced many of the new faces brought into work on the upcoming MMORPG.

Read the full story here

Comments

• giantessfangiantessfan Member UncommonPosts: 185
    These guys have shown an impressive amount of progress this year.

Hopfully this isn't a scam because I really want to play this game
    aleosTokkenkitarad
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Bad news, this has been a real game since the start. Only real problem with this project is the owner and lead dev likes to give misleading time lines. But anyone that have followed MMO knows you cant make an MMO in 2 to 3 years from the ground up when making unique assets.
    KyleranBrainyHaki88Splattr
  • goldboyy45goldboyy45 Member UncommonPosts: 301

Nanfoodle said:

Bad news, this has been a real game since the start. Only real problem with this project is the owner and lead dev likes to give misleading time lines. But anyone that have followed MMO knows you cant make an MMO in 2 to 3 years from the ground up when making unique assets.

Correct in the past, wrong in the present. You brought up a good point and this has been resolved. Intrepid is currently NOT giving any timelines for testing A2, release etc..

This project has evolved over the past 5-6 years and looking forward to the future.
    Slapshot1188
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Nanfoodle said:

Correct in the past, wrong in the present. You brought up a good point and this has been resolved. Intrepid is currently NOT giving any timelines for testing A2, release etc..

This project has evolved over the past 5-6 years and looking forward to the future.
    The far distance future apparently.
    RemaliNeoyoshiScotSlapshot1188

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,141
    Too much talking.

These guys would make great game show hosts, but awful video game developers.
    KyleranHaki88

Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013
  • BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    Nanfoodle said:

So if thats true, what does that say about these devs?  Either they are completely imcompetent and know less than "anyone that have followed MMO" or are just totally BSing everyone.  So which basket do these devs fall into.
    RemaliKyleranSlapshot1188kitarad

Not another "shown an impressive amount of progress this year" multiple years past the deadline post.  Then next year same story, and the next and the next. but but but they shown an impressive amount of progress........

The kind of progress I want to see at this point, is a release date and hitting that target date with a good game.
    RemaliKyleranSlapshot1188Sarla
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990
    "Sharif concurred, stating that fans "haven't seen anything yet.""

Never a truer word spoken.
    KyleranSlapshot1188kitaradTokkenSplattrBrainy
    Scot said:
    "Sharif concurred, stating that fans "haven't seen anything yet.""

Never a truer word spoken.
    Well, they do put on impressive dog and pony shows, but besides that not much else.
    Slapshot1188Haki88

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Brainy said:
    Nanfoodle said:

So if thats true, what does that say about these devs?  Either they are completely imcompetent and know less than "anyone that have followed MMO" or are just totally BSing everyone.  So which basket do these devs fall into.

Slapshot1188Haki88Brainy

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    They need to release Alpha 2 like right freaking now.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,987
    Remember that the founder made a fortune selling Xango Juice as part of a MultiLevelMarketing setup.

So whenever there is a question about the future, I always look back to the past for an explanation.

Brainy

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Well can't tell have to wait and see but when though.

• Haki88Haki88 Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Remember 2017-2018 hiring whole community manager team for what and for who? What about their website which they changed 3 times, never bringed affilate details, on 1st website you could see that your affilate bought something and your cut, after that nothing.

Buy jpgs!
  • mitech616mitech616 Member UncommonPosts: 51
    These games taking 10+ years to "develop" are ridiculous. Seems they start off as a Kickstart, making claims they'll just take a few years to develop. Then, as they get more and more money, they expand their deadlines basically indefinitely, and keep asking for/accepting MORE AND MORE money.

Look at Star Citizen. In "development" forever, given over half a BILLION dollars, and still in "alpha". These games add a new model or 2 a few times a year, and claim they're still in "full time development". How many millions has AoC gotten now, and they can't seem to get past the alpha stage either.

It's just like the plethora of "Early Access" games on Steam that have been abandoned or worse, continue to try to sell a game that development has stopped on. Seems like the fail rate of EA titles has to be over 50%. And at least for me, this trend has started to completely kill any trust of professionalism I has in game developers. It gives the impression they're all a bunch of scammers.
    BrainySarla
  • SplattrSplattr Member RarePosts: 543
    mitech616 said:
    These games taking 10+ years to "develop" are ridiculous. Seems they start off as a Kickstart, making claims they'll just take a few years to develop. Then, as they get more and more money, they expand their deadlines basically indefinitely, and keep asking for/accepting MORE AND MORE money.

Look at Star Citizen. In "development" forever, given over half a BILLION dollars, and still in "alpha". These games add a new model or 2 a few times a year, and claim they're still in "full time development". How many millions has AoC gotten now, and they can't seem to get past the alpha stage either.

It's just like the plethora of "Early Access" games on Steam that have been abandoned or worse, continue to try to sell a game that development has stopped on. Seems like the fail rate of EA titles has to be over 50%. And at least for me, this trend has started to completely kill any trust of professionalism I has in game developers. It gives the impression they're all a bunch of scammers.
    I don't have an issue with a small developer taking 10 years to make a game. I do agree they need to be more realistic up front about how long it will take. But I guess telling someone it will take a decade doesn't make them want to part with their money.

I don't think most developers that put their game in early access are scammers. I think that most of them have very little business sense and some of them aren't really developers. Many EA titles are being made by a group of friends who mess around with RPG Maker for a few weeks and think, "I played D&D, I can make an RPG."  Big hopes, big dreams, and very little knowhow on what it takes to actually make a game. And we willingly give them our money.
    Scot

Brainy said:

Nanfoodle said:

You have competent developers that know how to make possibly a good game but have no experience with PR or marketing.
    Brainy
    Nanfoodle said:

Brainy said:

Nanfoodle said:

You have competent developers that know how to make possibly a good game but have no experience with PR or marketing.
    LOL WUT?

The ONLY thing that the lead developer brings to the table is his experience in PR and marketing from his Xangojuice MML days.

Well, that and his seed money

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Nanfoodle said:

Brainy said:

"possibly"?

I suppose they will first have to make a good game then I will be able to judge.

I wouldnt say they are bad with PR or marketing.  They seem to excel at those actually.  They have strung along a customer base for 8 years with basically nothing to show.  They have been voted most anticipated game multiple years.  PR and marketing can only take you so far, at some point they will have to make the actual game.
    The only reason they are even starting to get bad PR is because the game has yet to deliver anything worth seeing.  Even still after 8 years their PR is effective,  there are still people buying their BS.  Every year saying how much amazing progress they have been making LOL.

6 years of amazing progress yet we still cant get into Alpha.  If the dev team was half as good as the PR team we would have a world class game.

• PonziniPonzini Member UncommonPosts: 506
    edited December 2022

Nanfoodle said:

Brainy said:

Nanfoodle said:

LOL WUT?

The ONLY thing that the lead developer brings to the table is his experience in PR and marketing from his Xangojuice MML days.

Jesus you guys are something else. If you have followed the game at all you know Steven not only has the passion and drive to create an entire dev team from scratch of which he has spent a large portion of his fortune on. Also the world and story is his own creation and the entire game is his vision. Also you would know how happy his employees are with his leadership which is plain as day in these videos. The man lives and breathes this game 24/7. But sure, keep attacking his character with the same old bullshit. He has said many times he was recruited to join xango early on and had some success with it but the vast majority of his money came from investment and realty.

Nothing I said was incorrect.
    He brought experience in PR and marketing to the company from his time making millions selling xangojuice in a multilevel marketing company.  It was in response to someone posting that the devs had no experience in both.

As for Stephen, he has said many things over the years.  Some of them prove to be true.  Some of them not.

Kyleran

• SarlaSarla Member UncommonPosts: 318

mitech616 said:

Very good post, I agree with all of it, except I think the failure/abandon rate of EA games is much higher than 50 percent.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855
    Anything in this Year-In-Review on the hotly anticipated battle royale Ashes of Creation Apocalypse?

Anyone remember that bait and switch failure ...uh, I mean ...combat test?
    Slapshot1188
  • ViscerateViscerate Newbie CommonPosts: 5
    This game is never coming out. I understand it takes X amount of years, less for big IP studios, to make a game, even more for an MMORPG. But come on, Ashes is a joke like Star Citizen. For example, Pearl Abyss was NEWLY FORMED in 2010, it wasn't HUGE, it still isn't HUGE like other big companies. But it made Black Desert Online in the span of 4 years. 4 YEARS FOR A NEW STUDIO TO MAKE AN MMORPG THAT COSTS $10 AS THE ONLY REQUIRED PAYMENT. This is a joke just like Pantheon and Camelot Unchained.
    Remali
    Ponzini said:

Nanfoodle said:

Brainy said:

Nanfoodle said:

LOL WUT?

Jesus you guys are something else. If you have followed the game at all you know Steven not only has the passion and drive to create an entire dev team from scratch of which he has spent a large portion of his fortune on. Also the world and story is his own creation and the entire game is his vision. Also you would know how happy his employees are with his leadership which is plain as day in these videos. The man lives and breathes this game 24/7. But sure, keep attacking his character with the same old bullshit. He has said many times he was recruited to join xango early on and had some success with it but the vast majority of his money came from investment and realty.
    I think some here are upset that there is proof of a real game here. This game maybe the first AAA MMO that was crowdfunded. I won't say much more that impresses me about this game. Don't want to be a target. 
    franzcelot