Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Throne And Liberty Is Launching Globally On PC And Consoles In 2023 | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited December 2022 in Videos Discussion

imageThrone And Liberty Is Launching Globally On PC And Consoles In 2023 | MMORPG.com

NCSoft released a new director's cut look at its upcoming MMORPG, Throne and Liberty, this morning, revealing more about the game, as well as when players should be able to get their hands on it next year.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Definitely high on my radar.
    I hope it stays closer to a pure Fantasy setting than some other recent imports. I know there's a large market for games that combine swords and sorcery with guns and lasers, and cars and hoverbikes, but that's just not my thing.

Gentrifried_ChickenKrisConwaydefroststarOG_SolareusValdheimSamhael

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Excellent news. Looking forward to this one.
    IceAge
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    edited December 2022
    first half of 2023...... cool
    AndemnonSamhael

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• SensaiSensai Member UncommonPosts: 220
    I dunno,  it looks promising but the fact it's designed for consoles too suggests things will be dumbed down, both control wise and in general scope. The animations, particle effects and spell effects seem way over the top and I'm not sure how the engine will handle large guild fights. Time will tell.
    BrainyMendelSarlaAndemnongastovski1Samhael

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    It has global PvP so PvP is everywhere?
    Andemnon
    Chamber of Chains
  • mitech616mitech616 Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Looks like Black Desert Online in the Lineage universe. Still fields of random creatures you probably have to grind by the hundreds. Flashy combat, but I'm guessing there's little substance beyond that. I'm still interested in what it actually turns out to be, but frankly, I don't have high hopes given the results of other import MMOs.

They tend to rely HEAVILY on monotonous grinding with typically the most shallow of gameplay. I'm hoping for more, but not expecting it.
    TokkenAndemnongastovski1Valdheim
    cheyane said:
    A quote says "a PvP (Player versus player) combat system that allows players to decide whether they want to engage or not."
    So I'm not sure if it's everywhere but it sounds optional.

I actually hate flags.  Would much prefer certain zones have the PvP than have flags everywhere.

TokkencheyaneGorweAndemnonAlomar

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    Hell Yes!!! Cant wait!!
  • DattelisDattelis Member RarePosts: 1,454
    Here's hoping it wont end up being like a 'second job' game like Lost Ark.
    TokkenMcSleazAndemnongastovski1Valdheim
  • InconvenientTruthInconvenientTruth Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    So the game was more than 10 years in development only to become another generic MMORPG with dumb combat like so many others? I can't wait for the auto combat. I'm tired of it.
    IceAge
  • fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561
    cheyane said:
    A quote says "a PvP (Player versus player) combat system that allows players to decide whether they want to engage or not."

I actually hate flags.  Would much prefer certain zones have the PvP than have flags everywhere.

In the video they explain that most zones will be safe zones. PVP will become enabled in some zones for the duration of scheduled special events that occur in those zones. People can check the schedule for when those events are happening so they can avoid those zones if they want to avoid pvp.
    RemaliTokkencheyaneAndemnonAlomarSamhael
    finefluff said:
    cheyane said:

In the video they explain that most zones will be safe zones. PVP will become enabled in some zones for the duration of scheduled special events that occur in those zones. People can check the schedule for when those events are happening so they can avoid those zones if they want to avoid pvp.
    Sounds good.  So no flags you turn on or off?

• fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561
    edited December 2022
    finefluff said:
    cheyane said:

Sounds good.  So no flags you turn on or off?

They didn't mention anything about flags in the video. The fact that they said that players can avoid pvp by avoiding zones when pvp is enabled in the them would suggest to me that it is not a flag based system.
    cheyaneAndemnon
  • OG_SolareusOG_Solareus Member RarePosts: 1,041
    edited December 2022
    Finally, something that is real ! :) Just to remind people, NcSoft was leading the genre until WoW with millions of players in Lineage 2. Yeah , then been farting around with apsect ratios and pvp dynamics, but all that work , imho will shine with Lineage 3 :D
    Sensai
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847
    Sensai said:
    I dunno,  it looks promising but the fact it's designed for consoles too suggests things will be dumbed down, both control wise and in general scope. The animations, particle effects and spell effects seem way over the top and I'm not sure how the engine will handle large guild fights. Time will tell.

Dumbed down controls wise? A tab target MMO like FF14 works just fine on console and action MMOs like BDO controls just fine on console.
    And there are some PC MMOs like New World that would work just fine if they were ported to consoles.

Graphics for PC games always have options to make them playable on a wide range of configurations so why wouldnt the graphics be suitable for current consoles?
    BrainyIselinGentrifried_Chickengastovski1
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Xiaoki said:

Sensai said:

Dumbed down controls wise? A tab target MMO like FF14 works just fine on console and action MMOs like BDO controls just fine on console.
    And there are some PC MMOs like New World that would work just fine if they were ported to consoles.

Graphics for PC games always have options to make them playable on a wide range of configurations so why wouldnt the graphics be suitable for current consoles?

Normally PC gamers don't like the way a UI needs to be designed to also work on consoles. Games like the DC MMO. That also inudes the number of skills you can pool from and from the video, the later will be the case. Will have to see about the UI.

I would like to know about cross saves and cross play?
    Andemnongastovski1
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    So the game was more than 10 years in development only to become another generic MMORPG with dumb combat like so many others? I can't wait for the auto combat. I'm tired of it.
    welcome to the forums!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847
    Nanfoodle said:

Xiaoki said:

Sensai said:

Normally PC gamers don't like the way a UI needs to be designed to also work on consoles. Games like the DC MMO. That also inudes the number of skills you can pool from and from the video, the later will be the case. Will have to see about the UI.

Or perhaps NCsoft realized that people dont want to fumble with 40 hotbar skills in large scale PvP.

Also, people only complain about MMOs being "dumbed down for consoles" when there is a console version.
    Dont see people complaining about PC only MMOs like Guild Wars 2 being dumbed down for consoles.

Or, maybe, NCsoft looked at their financials and saw that their most successful PC game is Lineage 1 from 1998 making around $20 million in a 3 month period.
    BrainyIselinlahnmirachesomaSensai
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Xiaoki said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Xiaoki said:

Sensai said:

Or perhaps NCsoft realized that people dont want to fumble with 40 hotbar skills in large scale PvP.

Also, people only complain about MMOs being "dumbed down for consoles" when there is a console version.
    Dont see people complaining about PC only MMOs like Guild Wars 2 being dumbed down for consoles.

Or, maybe, NCsoft looked at their financials and saw that their most successful PC game is Lineage 1 from 1998 making around $20 million in a 3 month period.
    I am thinking about ‘dumb’ games like the Divinity series now, or Path of Exile, or Grim Dawn, Civ 6, Final Fantasy XIV, Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 3, Disco Elysium etc…….. Man, the list of ‘dumbed down’ games really is endless….. yeah, right.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited December 2022
    lahnmir said:
    Xiaoki said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Xiaoki said:

Sensai said:

I am thinking about ‘dumb’ games like the Divinity series now, or Path of Exile, or Grim Dawn, Civ 6, Final Fantasy XIV, Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 3, Disco Elysium etc…….. Man, the list of ‘dumbed down’ games really is endless….. yeah, right.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Dumbing down is gaming industry wide, the reason Dark Souls made such a splash was because it was so out of kilter and that's the reason anything that dares to be difficult is called soulslike. We did not have a universally accepted term for difficulty in gaming before that!

MMOs don't need a console version to dumb down, but that translon tended to be a tranche in the ever easier mode story.

There are quite a few games are not dumbed down but that is the direction of travel, or are we saying FFIXV is as difficult as when it launched? So often under the masquerade of "Quality of Life" updates ever more easymode is what gaming has been doing for nigh on twenty years.

You can still stick to just playing "soulslike" (just in terms of difficulty) but the number of games is rather small, not sure you would want to play the twenty or thirty odd soulslike games out there forever.

By the way Civ 6 was a significant shift to easy-mode, keeping your shoulders above truly easy similar strategy games does not mean you are just as difficult as you once were.

Andemnon
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    The 'flexible class depending on the weapon' sounds an awful lot like New World.  Only TL doesn't seem to have mentioned anything about which weapons your character can use.  Is it every weapon and combo, making it an ultimate everyone-does-everything affair, or is there some character skill that limits the weapons used?

But still, it looks nice, in an multiplayer ARPG kind of way.  The emphasis seems to be on the action, which isn't my strong suit anymore.  I'm just not getting a very strong MMORPG vibe from TL.  I guess we'll see.

ScotAndemnon

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• SarlaSarla Member UncommonPosts: 316
    I really don't care for NC Soft games, so unless their is a free demo on steam I can try before buying, I doubt I will even notice this one
    Andemnon
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Trying to find real info on this game is no easy task. But from what I've read, can only play as human, no classes, no trinity.
    MendelAndemnon
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
    achesoma said:
    Trying to find real info on this game is no easy task. But from what I've read, can only play as human, no classes, no trinity.
    Sounds refreshing.

• SensaiSensai Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Xiaoki said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Xiaoki said:

Sensai said:

That's right because only having 5 skills available is the height of strategy.  I forgot that pvp for some people is smashing buttons and hoping for the best. Not sure what the rest of your post is about. GW2 is guilty of this too. You can buy into the strategy rationale championed by devs but the reality is that those systems exist because 1. Consoles and 2. Easier development.  The removal of options, skills, multiple classes, etc. is never for the benefit of the players, it just makes it easier for developers. And if you can only manage 5 skills in a pvp situation, I'm not so sure mmorpg pvp is for you.
    IselinLaughing-manAndemnonNanfoodlegastovski1