Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo IV Gets A New Trailer And Release Date At The Game Awards 2022, Coming June 6th 2023 | MMORPG

2»

Comments

• TruvidiennTruvidienn Member UncommonPosts: 320
    I do agree that the price is steep. But I think $70 is becoming the norm now for future titles. Sony is charging that much with the PS5 games and Microsoft is going the same price starting in 2023. 
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    At least their marketing dept is good.  This trailer did exactly what it was supposed to do, get me in my feels between the battle for good and evil and sucked me right back in.  Ugh hopefully the game can match the exellence of their trailers.
    TruvidiennSplattrGorwe
  • GatsuZerkGatsuZerk Member UncommonPosts: 137
    Pre-ordered instantly.
    McSleazGorwe
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,984
    GatsuZerk said:
    Pre-ordered instantly.
    Why?
    You can often "pre-order" closer to release and get the exact same stuff with a discount.
    I just did that for Hogwarts Legacy game which doesn't release until March I think.
    22% off...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AngrakhanAngrakhan Member EpicPosts: 1,164
    edited December 2022

Talraekk said:

The 70$ price tag alone has me going I hope that's just for preorders. But I know it's not. Look at that price alone I remember back when the standard was 50. 60 was a heavy blow. But even then I mean in my head I'm going what's 70 (only 10 more) but realistically, I can't afford one triple A game a month at the current standard. I mean in my head I understand that these games cost more to produce, but in a (looking at my wallet) sense, my wallets about to tear me a few new holes. Outside of logic, I also see various things like (most games coasting or doing the bare minimum) trying to earn, and other games giving you (less than a dollar an hour of enjoyment). Then I also have this evil head game going 'if Blizzards Diablo is going to do it, they all are." FFS.....

Just be patient and get games on sale. You don't have to play this stuff at launch. Get past the artificial FOMO their marketing department conjures.

I just picked up AC Origins for 80% off. $20 for the game, all dlc, and the battle pass. Did I miss out at launch? Sure, but is the game really that different now? Actually it's probably a lot better with all the bug fixes and dlc.
    McSleazGorweKimo
  • SagethornSagethorn Member UncommonPosts: 57
    lahnmir said:
    $70 for a game with tons of cosmetics and a battle pass is simply too much.  And you have to spend another $20 to get the four days early access.

The beta was pretty underwhelming as well.  I'm sure some people will eat it up, but I'm just turned off.
    80 bucks for the regular, digital, version on Xbox even, insane.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

i wish it was 80 bucks

ScotFrodoFraginsSovrath
  • NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,130
    edited December 2022
    The Diablo series post-D2 has pretty much been open to all sorts of nickel-and-dime tactics at best; Battlepass this, cashshop that.

Remember back when you just bought a game and that was it? Diablo 2 Remake is probably the last true video game experience we'll ever see for this franchise.

Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013
  • TalraekkTalraekk Member UncommonPosts: 260
    Angrakhan said:

Talraekk said:

The 70$ price tag alone has me going I hope that's just for preorders. But I know it's not. Look at that price alone I remember back when the standard was 50. 60 was a heavy blow. But even then I mean in my head I'm going what's 70 (only 10 more) but realistically, I can't afford one triple A game a month at the current standard. I mean in my head I understand that these games cost more to produce, but in a (looking at my wallet) sense, my wallets about to tear me a few new holes. Outside of logic, I also see various things like (most games coasting or doing the bare minimum) trying to earn, and other games giving you (less than a dollar an hour of enjoyment). Then I also have this evil head game going 'if Blizzards Diablo is going to do it, they all are." FFS.....

Just be patient and get games on sale. You don't have to play this stuff at launch. Get past the artificial FOMO their marketing department conjures.

I just picked up AC Origins for 80% off. $20 for the game, all dlc, and the battle pass. Did I miss out at launch? Sure, but is the game really that different now? Actually it's probably a lot better with all the bug fixes and dlc.

It's not fomo, it's "I've waited for years for good Diablo, Diablo 3 barely scratched the itch, doubt I could wait longer than immediate reviews to finally (hopefully) play something decent."  Hell I currently still play Diablo 1......
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,428
    edited December 2022
    That trailer is REALLY GOOD and, this is very important, it really reminds me of classic Diablo.

With that said, I am not exactly sold on DIV itself. Open World(Diablo does NOT NEED that), pricing(70$ and other odd artifacts), Battlepass(...), I am most likely going to wait and see with it. There's too many ???s for my liking. Funnily enough, 70$ base isn't one of them because I'd go for something more pricey as is.
    FrodoFragins
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Sagethorn said:
    lahnmir said:
    $70 for a game with tons of cosmetics and a battle pass is simply too much.  And you have to spend another $20 to get the four days early access.

The beta was pretty underwhelming as well.  I'm sure some people will eat it up, but I'm just turned off.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

i wish it was 80 bucks

The regular edition is already less than $80 for you. Why would you want them to raise its price?

edited December 2022
    Splattr said:

lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

The cost of a movie ticket in 1996 was less than $5. The cost of Diablo in 1996 was $50. The cost of a movie ticket in 2022 is just over $9. The cost of a game is $60-$80. I'd like to still be paying $50 for a game, but given the number of hours I'll play Diablo 4, it's still a pretty good value.

This is a false argument. Because the inflation isn't the only thing that should be taken into account here. Volume of Revenue and of Playerbase has also increased DRAMATICALLY. Not to mention that the programming suites have also gotten more efficient and, overall, better. Compare C++ to C#, for example. All of this leads to more efficient production.

All in all, 70$ base price could MAYBE be excused, but anything above? Sorry, but no. Anything above 70$ for Base is pure greed. Simple as.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Apparently some people don't really understand what it costs to develop modern games, this article may help.

https://rocketbrush.com/blog/how-much-does-it-cost-to-develop-a-game

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SagethornSagethorn Member UncommonPosts: 57
    edited December 2022
    Vrika said:
    Sagethorn said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

i wish it was 80 bucks

The regular edition is already less than $80 for you. Why would you want them to raise its price?

Maybe im getting old or something, but thats $20 aud higher than most new releases and pre orders. And not forgetting this is in digital format, its not like theres a box cost and manufature cost for dvd and booklets that come along with this.

$109 Aud for the basic digital version is still steeper than most new releases, normally they hover around the 89 mark.

Right now i could preorder Starwars Jedi Survivor for $79 and the new STALKER 2 Heart of Chernobyl for $89 as a box from a brick and mortar store... $109 is right up there for a digital download.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Sagethorn said:
    Vrika said:
    Sagethorn said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

i wish it was 80 bucks

Maybe im getting old or something, but thats $20 aud higher than most new releases and pre orders. And not forgetting this is in digital format, its not like theres a box cost and manufature cost for dvd and booklets that come along with this.

$109 Aud for the basic digital version is still steeper than most new releases, normally they hover around the 89 mark.

Right now i could preorder Starwars Jedi Survivor for $79 and the new STALKER 2 Heart of Chernobyl for $89 as a box from a brick and mortar store... $109 is right up there for a digital download.
    I don't know what other games cost in Australia, but 110 AUD is 75 USD. So it costs less than the 80 USD games lahnmir was talking about.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848
    Kyleran said:
    Apparently some people don't really understand what it costs to develop modern games, this article may help.

Some people? I highly doubt that even 5 regular posters here have any clue as to what video game development is really like.

But, why know things when you can just ignorantly spew nonsense like "this is pure greed. Simple as"
  • RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Blizzard jumping on the $70 base game price hike bandwagon. This is the first Diablo game I won't pre-order. I'll wait until it is on sale someday.
    Xiaoki said:
    Kyleran said:

Some people? I highly doubt that even 5 regular posters here have any clue as to what video game development is really like.

But, why know things when you can just ignorantly spew nonsense like "this is pure greed. Simple as"
     Video games are the next human rights issue. 

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• OG_SolareusOG_Solareus Member RarePosts: 1,041
    Union dues aren't cheap. :)
    edited December 2022
    Xiaoki said:
    Kyleran said:

Because it is. When a game makes over 6 BILLION Dollars and is somehow a "failure" that warrants cutting down hundreds of jobs...what can I say?

I don't excuse anyone. Let their deeds speak for themself. And let's try to keep a cool head to see what's truly what. Here? It is greed. And I will have nothing with propagating that idea(why? because it comes at the expense of ME, if it didn't hell would I care).

I don't have any experience with game development, but I've been a part of this circus for long enough to be able to detect certain patterns. Not only on gamedev side, btw.
  • MopineMopine Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    Kind of dissapointed of the new Diablo IV  In-Game Intro Cinematic  :'(
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Compared to Diablo Immoral and spending $110,000 to gear up that's a deal LOL!

https://gamerant.com/diablo-immortal-pay-to-win-legendary-gems/

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Mopine said:
    Kind of dissapointed of the new Diablo IV  In-Game Intro Cinematic  :'(
    Hmm...an adbot?
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Xiaoki said:
    Kyleran said:

I mean it's not like we had decades of these video game companies not doing predatory greedy monetization with microtransactions, battle passes, cash shops, GaaS, Pay to Win/Everything, and just selling the game at a box price... oh wait... we did.

Even better I can list games like Last Epoch, Wolcen, Grim Dawn, TitanQuest, etc that somehow managed to make a game charge a reasonable price and some dlc and not monetize it like players are just walking wallets for them to bleed dry with greed.

There is no defending Activision Blizzard after Diablo Immoral. This is an out of season April fools joke.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    templarga said:
    I remember the same uproar when games went from $50 to $60 for the norm. To me, its like complaining about the cost of things like Netflix or Hulu or Disney Plus going up and then screaming for new content. Prices go up. End of story. As a consumer, you have the choice to buy it or not. Clearly, gamers find $70 to be okay because I have yet to see a case where it hurt sales.

True to an extent.  But remember, when D3 launched it was primarily sold in actual boxes, with physical discs that had to be shipped, to physical stores that had to stock it, sell it and have a retail markup (likely 50%).  Not all prices go up.  When it becomes cheaper to make an item, the company will often lower the price and share a portion of those savings with the customer.

That said, a company can always charge whatever they want for a product.  It's certainly up to the consumer to decide if it's worth the cost.  At least for non-essential things like games.

For me, I will wait and get it on sale.  Maybe even before launch. 
    Brainy