Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Game Awards 2022: Action RPG Wayfinder Revealed By Digital Extremes And Airship Syndicate | MMOR

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited December 2022 in Videos Discussion

imageThe Game Awards 2022: Action RPG Wayfinder Revealed By Digital Extremes And Airship Syndicate | MMORPG.com

Airship Syndicate and Digital Extremes have been working on a new online action RPG for a while now, and the two developers unveiled that project officially tonight at The Game Awards. Wayfinder was announced, showing off some of the gameplay in this upcoming co-op title.

Read the full story here

Comments

• AngrakhanAngrakhan Member EpicPosts: 1,164
    I'm immediately suspicious of the FTP model. The comparison to Warframe isn't super helpful, although their model is better than most. Warframe still heavily rewards those willing to open their wallets WIDE to get ahead much faster than you would otherwise.
  • ValdheimValdheim Member RarePosts: 614
    edited December 2022
    Artstyle reminds me a bit of Battle Chasers : Nightwar and Darksiders which definitely is a plus for me. Gonna try the beta for sure. edit: just seen that it's lead artist is Joe Madureira, the guy that also designed Darksiders <3
    lahnmir
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Valdheim said:
    Artstyle reminds me a bit of Battle Chasers : Nightwar and Darksiders which definitely is a plus for me. Gonna try the beta for sure. edit: just seen that it's lead artist is Joe Madureira, the guy that also designed Darksiders <3
    Ok, you got my attention, I’m game.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 
    Valdheim
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    I see a bit of..Wildstar over there! Not a bad thing!
    elveoneGinaz

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 818
    Looks like Fortnite the MMORPG. I will probably check it out, but it looks somewhat mediocre.

What I would want from a new MMORPG is:

- classless character system
    - no character experience or levels, character strength is determined by skill levels instead that can be raised by being used and by limited specific awards like skill tomes
    - horizontal progression with no gear grind, no real end game and when new content is released, it doesn't have to be an entirely new continent, like WoW does expansions, but instead it can take place in both some new places and in some old places
    elveone
  • AngrakhanAngrakhan Member EpicPosts: 1,164
    Looks like Fortnite the MMORPG. I will probably check it out, but it looks somewhat mediocre.

- no character experience or levels, character strength is determined by skill levels instead that can be raised by being used and by limited specific awards like skill tomes
    - horizontal progression with no gear grind, no real end game and when new content is released, it doesn't have to be an entirely new continent, like WoW does expansions, but instead it can take place in both some new places and in some old places
    Having skill levels instead of character levels is just using the same mechanism with a different name. Different lipstick on the same pig, basically. Instead of one level your character has a level per skill. Instead of getting xp and having it apply to your whole character it applies to just the skill that was used. Different? Sure, but I played that exact mechanic in the elder scrolls series and it was annoying there. I'm sure your game would be just as annoying. I also did horizontal progress in GW2. It's boring and unmotivating. Why am I playing the game at all when at the end of a week or month I haven't progressed at all. I just have more abilities that do the same thing. A 3 second cast time spell that does 100 damage isn't remarkably different than an instant cast DOT that does 100 damage over 3 seconds. No one is fooled.

Your game sounds boring to me and none of it is innovative. Everything you listed in your wish list has been done before.
    elveone
  • ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 818

Angrakhan said:

Having skill levels instead of character levels is just using the same mechanism with a different name. Different lipstick on the same pig, basically. Instead of one level your character has a level per skill. Instead of getting xp and having it apply to your whole character it applies to just the skill that was used. Different? Sure, but I played that exact mechanic in the elder scrolls series and it was annoying there. I'm sure your game would be just as annoying. I also did horizontal progress in GW2. It's boring and unmotivating. Why am I playing the game at all when at the end of a week or month I haven't progressed at all. I just have more abilities that do the same thing. A 3 second cast time spell that does 100 damage isn't remarkably different than an instant cast DOT that does 100 damage over 3 seconds. No one is fooled.

Your game sounds boring to me and none of it is innovative. Everything you listed in your wish list has been done before.

That's your opinion.

Progress is relative and means different things for different people. WoW has always been about getting to end game ASAP and spam PvE or PvP.

Then Turtle WoW comes and starts expanding the existing world with expanding existing zones, adding new quests and more and people like that, because some people don't want to become 60 or see their numbers becoming bigger to feel good on the inside, all they want to do is quest and level and if it can be endless, they will be even happier.

Horizonal progression doesn't mean adding more abilities that do the same thing, if GW2 does that then it doesn't have horizontal progression, but tries to emulate it while doing a piss poor job.

Horizontal progression would mean expanding the same skill further, like branching it out, a bit like how it is in ESO - when you reach a certain skill threshold, you are given a choice between two ways you can have a skill evolve. It's not ideal, but it's a step in the right direction.

This can be expanded upon by involving exploration and rewarding players for it, having some kind of randomized (for every character) set of objectives that they need to discover on their own and accomplish and get rewards like some ancient master teaching them a secret technique that upgrades their ability further or something like that.

I have played a lot of MMORPGs and none come to mind that really do these things. I haven't really played RuneScape so I don't know if it has it or Ultima Online, but Star Wars Galaxies before NGE I think does this with the Jedi class - each player gets randomized objectives that they need to find out how to complete so they can progress unlocking the Jedi class, it's randomized, because it can't be completed following a guide and it's unique for every player.

If you point me to some actually ambitious game that tries some of these things, I'd be thankful, although I doubt such exists. GW2 and ESO are still WoW clones with a few twists here and there, nothing new under the sun.

Actually the most unique MMORPGs are obscure ones, in fact I think I remember one such MMORPG that fits the description and I actually have bought it - Project Gorgon. From what I know, some skills are very hard to even get, you have to have satisfied a number of prerequisites before it has been made available to you and so forth. I've played about 130 hours and I found out that by using abilities, you indirectly advance other abilities related to the ones you're using, like if you do autopsy or butchery of corpses, it advances skills related to endurance and taxidermy and stuff like that.

Honestly speaking GW2 or ESO are hardly good examples of unique MMORPGs, they are some of the kings of mediocrity in the genre.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    Looks decent, I'm in.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!