Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PlaneShift Unreal Engine Alpha release!

TaladTalad PlaneShift DeveloperMember UncommonPosts: 83
edited December 2022 in Planeshift

Hello everyone, long time we don't give news on this web site, but here is some!

In the last few years quite a lot happened. Crystal Space engine became discontinued by the developers, and was pretty hard for us to maintain it. So we decided to move to a new engine. Would be too long to explain here the complexity of such a change, but I can say it has been very complex as the technology is very different.

Nonetheless we wanted to keep the project alive and so the work has been started. The engine of choice is Unreal Engine , and after few tests in 2015, not much has been done for some time. In 2018 I picked up again the work more seriously (consider all is done in our spare time as this is a hobby project) and started to get some results.

Our non profit organization also got official status of Charitable Educational Organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, Here more details: https://www.planeshift.it/article/2022/PlaneShift Charitable Educational Organization

After about 4 years we have released few days ago the first public release of PlaneShift with the new engine! Pretty much all the functionality of the old game is ported, with the exception of musical instruments and ability to draw in game. A lot of new things have been added, including:
- a revamped character creation
- new compendium
- new achievements
- new dice mini game
- new dungeon
- significantly expanded Amdeneir city
- no zone loading anymore, you can walk and all maps are seamless loaded in the background
- improved grass/trees
- improved lights
- redesign of all particle effects, including spells
- new UI
- and more

The fundamentals of the game are the same, NPCs, places, items, quests are still there, as long as the characters you created 10 or more years ago.

This release is a transition release, as the old game is still the master for all data, and the database gets replicated to the new Unreal release at every new Alpha, but we plan a full transition soon. Give it a try, it's free and hand made.

You can find more information about the release here: https://www.planeshift.it/article/2022/PlaneShift Unreal Alpha Release 21

Let us know what you think!
Come to play or enhance our game PlaneShift!
Post edited by Talad on

Comments

• TaladTalad PlaneShift DeveloperMember UncommonPosts: 83
    Seems not possible to edit a post? Anyway the second phrase should be "Crystal Space engine became discontinued by the developers, and was pretty hard for us to maintain it."
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,991
    Talad said:
    Seems not possible to edit a post? Anyway the second phrase should be "Crystal Space engine became discontinued by the developers, and was pretty hard for us to maintain it."
    With the first post of a thread the edit button is not in the same place, up in the top right I think?
  • TaladTalad PlaneShift DeveloperMember UncommonPosts: 83
    Scot said:
    With the first post of a thread the edit button is not in the same place, up in the top right I think?
    Not with Firefox or Chrome, BUT I tried also with Edge, and with this browser I see an additional top banner where I have the cog and now I edited it , thanks!
    Scot