Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pros and Cons

ValnyoriValnyori Member Posts: 3

I was considering purchasing this game due to its impending release date.  Can someone who has played the game in the last 60 days please give me an idea of the pros and cons of this game to date?  Here's all I have so far:

Pros:

Built for PvP (Not a PvP engine tacked on to a PvP game)

Siege Combat

Multi-tiered classing system (Healer goes to Enchanter, for example.  Big plus in my book)

Mounts (and flying ones)

Large game area to explore

Cons:

SoG was apparently a dry run for DnL and was not well received.

No retail presence

I'd like to get constructive, thoughtful responses.  I'm trying to make an informed decision so I avoid another DDO style fiasco, and I'm sure there are other people out there in the same boat.  Try to keep it to "They promised X, but it didn't deliver because of Y", or "X is the greatest thing since man invented cheese, because it works exactly as they said it would and it's so cool".  Flaming the game isn't a constructive way to keep someone from buying it, or spending their dollars wisely.  By the same token, talking it up when it doesn't deserve is equally as bad.  Could someone please help me out here?

Comments

• ZorbaneZorbane Member UncommonPosts: 529

I'll give you one con

Do you know what beta testing is

There wasn't any beta testing from December till about a week ago, and while they were doing this beta test it was down half the time

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951

I would really like to meet the person who thinks the huge world is a positive thing.

You forgot to mention the golden one on the Pros list, everyone play on the same server.

But DNL will not become a huge thing, we can all realize that now. So this world will be too huge for the population which will populate the world.

I don't think all too many enjoy seeing one person per hour while traveling out in the open ... perhaps a little extreme?

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• Originally posted by Valnyori

I was considering purchasing this game due to its impending release date.  Can someone who has played the game in the last 60 days please give me an idea of the pros and cons of this game to date?  Here's all I have so far:
    Pros:
    Built for PvP (Not a PvP engine tacked on to a PvP game)
    Siege Combat
    Multi-tiered classing system (Healer goes to Enchanter, for example.  Big plus in my book)
    Mounts (and flying ones)
    Large game area to explore

Cons:
    SoG was apparently a dry run for DnL and was not well received.
    No retail presence

I'd like to get constructive, thoughtful responses.  I'm trying to make an informed decision so I avoid another DDO style fiasco, and I'm sure there are other people out there in the same boat.  Try to keep it to "They promised X, but it didn't deliver because of Y", or "X is the greatest thing since man invented cheese, because it works exactly as they said it would and it's so cool".  Flaming the game isn't a constructive way to keep someone from buying it, or spending their dollars wisely.  By the same token, talking it up when it doesn't deserve is equally as bad.  Could someone please help me out here?

Be real man. This is like the 3rd thread with almost the exact same wording asking the same dang question from a 1 post poster.

The problem with the question is glaring right off the bat. The "pros" you mention are still on paper.

PvP - combat is funky, clunky and punky. Isnt in there yet for a few reasons 1) not enough players. 2) Combat was not "optimized" and according to Farlan will be in future 'patches'. Nothing much was done to correct much of anything in the combat area.

Siege Combat - see above

Multi-tiered classing - yeh but you can find that in most current mmos that have PvP.However there are only about 2 skills each (max) currently. The rest in furture "patches".

Mounts - yeh but dont get the blue one. (per the article) Lots of other games have mounts too.

Large game to explore - release will not have the 100% access available. Population does not fulfill. Empty.

Cons

Most and I mean MOST are all still on paper.

No population.

Server instability= an ongoing extreme

Requires top end hardware to run.

Required Hardware= Requires TOP END hardware (gfx,ram,etc). Requires much configuration of the users computer/files just to run as opposed to all other mmo's (need to change back many in order to play the other games after trying to play DNL)

SOG=DNL

UI= unfriendly, unworkable, archaic, not customizable

Crafting= still on paper

FXP, SXP. CXP = is dependent upon a number of factors of which you have no control but other players do/may.Your progress/immersion/chance of success depends on others. SXP is still on paper. CXP is dependent on random luck (when it becomes available)

NPC/Interaction = NPCs are still bugged. Non interactive empty buildings and NPCs.

No solo ability = Geared towards groups only and uber l33t groups at that. Some solo mobs around but those areas camped 24/7 so without a group they are meaningless.

Fast leveling - can get to 10 levels within one hour of play. (however, without the population and many other features, there is no point really) 

No retail presence= the least of the cons

I have played in the last 60 days. This is not an NDA break as this has already been posted elsewhere. The gfx were a little better but only after much time spent playing with configs. They would suddenly blurp at unexpected times also.

I just do not see this game as ready in the least bit. Another 6 days delay? This game needs at least another year in the beta "stress" testing. I believe if they cannot fix what is wrong now and what is missing now within the first two months of free time given to the Pioneers- many will finally give up.

Dont forget you asked (and someone else asked almost the same question, with as many posts as you, in almost the same wording.) If what you are looking for is much more details, you will have to wait for release as there is an "NDA" -- any further information would be breaking that unless it is posted by Farlan/NP3/AD before that date. Come back in about a week. They will probably break it defending the game anyway.

(in reference to your DDO snide - although not a great game, its release was near perfect)

• DrSawDrSaw Member Posts: 81
    C'mon... you forgot the biggest pro of all...

WE GET TO PLAY FAIRIES!!!  YESSSS!!!  WOOOT!

Finally, developers realize what all of us MMORPG players have wanted for a long time... the opportunity to be a a kick-arse, warhammer-weilding Fairy!  Can't wait!!!

ROFLMAO

• ValnyoriValnyori Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by LilBoPeep
    *SNIP*

Be real man. This is like the 3rd thread with almost the exact same wording asking the same dang question from a 1 post poster.

The problem with the question is glaring right off the bat. The "pros" you mention are still on paper.

PvP - combat is funky, clunky and punky. Isnt in there yet for a few reasons 1) not enough players. 2) Combat was not "optimized" and according to Farlan will be in future 'patches'. Nothing much was done to correct much of anything in the combat area.

Siege Combat - see above

Multi-tiered classing - yeh but you can find that in most current mmos that have PvP.However there are only about 2 skills each (max) currently. The rest in furture "patches".

Mounts - yeh but dont get the blue one. (per the article) Lots of other games have mounts too.

Large game to explore - release will not have the 100% access available. Population does not fulfill. Empty.

Cons

Most and I mean MOST are all still on paper.

No population.

Server instability= an ongoing extreme

Requires top end hardware to run.

Required Hardware= Requires TOP END hardware (gfx,ram,etc). Requires much configuration of the users computer/files just to run as opposed to all other mmo's (need to change back many in order to play the other games after trying to play DNL)

SOG=DNL

UI= unfriendly, unworkable, archaic, not customizable

Crafting= still on paper

FXP, SXP. CXP = is dependent upon a number of factors of which you have no control but other players do/may.Your progress/immersion/chance of success depends on others. SXP is still on paper. CXP is dependent on random luck (when it becomes available)

NPC/Interaction = NPCs are still bugged. Non interactive empty buildings and NPCs.

No solo ability = Geared towards groups only and uber l33t groups at that. Some solo mobs around but those areas camped 24/7 so without a group they are meaningless.

Fast leveling - can get to 10 levels within one hour of play. (however, without the population and many other features, there is no point really) 

No retail presence= the least of the cons

I have played in the last 60 days. This is not an NDA break as this has already been posted elsewhere. The gfx were a little better but only after much time spent playing with configs. They would suddenly blurp at unexpected times also.

I just do not see this game as ready in the least bit. Another 6 days delay? This game needs at least another year in the beta "stress" testing. I believe if they cannot fix what is wrong now and what is missing now within the first two months of free time given to the Pioneers- many will finally give up.

Dont forget you asked (and someone else asked almost the same question, with as many posts as you, in almost the same wording.) If what you are looking for is much more details, you will have to wait for release as there is an "NDA" -- any further information would be breaking that unless it is posted by Farlan/NP3/AD before that date. Come back in about a week. They will probably break it defending the game anyway.

(in reference to your DDO snide - although not a great game, its release was near perfect)

Whoa?  Be a real man?  Where'd that come from?  Real men don't ask questions?  I don't think you know me well enough to be so hostile.  Settle down there, killer.  It's ok.  Really.   Had I seen this information posted in a way that didn't appear to be hostile toward the game (c'mon, is it so much to ask for a dispassionate idea of what the game is?), I'd have read it and not bothered asking.

If there's no PvP right off the bat at release, why buy the game?  If there's no crafting at release, why buy the game?  If you can't use the social parts at release, why buy the game?

Filling the large expanse to explore is not something that the game developer is going to have any control over.  I enjoyed the original Asheron's Call for the ability to explore places that nobody went.  I guess you have some insight as to how many people will decide to play this game?  I'm not saying you're wrong, but I guess I don't understand where you are getting your information.

Server instability is a big one for me.  The greatest game in the world is a total dud if you can't play it.

I won't forget that I asked.  I was just trying to get a feel for whether it was worth my dollars or not.  On paper, it seems to have a ton of features that just scream, "Gee, I'd be a great game.  Buy me!".  I just couldn't find any rational, meaningful idea of whether it lived up to what it says on paper.  The reason I mentioned DDO specifically is because on paper, it looked like a phenomenal game, but at release, it wasn't what was promised.  I'm trying to avoid a similar situation in the future.  And I agree, at release, everything they had in there was functional, and for the most part, stable.  However, it didn't include all that they'd promised on paper.

• Originally posted by Valnyori

Whoa?  Be a real man?  Where'd that come from?  Real men don't ask questions?  I don't think you know me well enough to be so hostile.  Settle down there, killer.  It's ok.  Really.  

the sentence was "Be real man." BIG difference from how you read it.

Had I seen this information posted in a way that didn't appear to be hostile toward the game (c'mon, is it so much to ask for a dispassionate idea of what the game is?), I'd have read it and not bothered asking.

Nothing hostile about it. You misread the very first sentence.

If there's no PvP right off the bat at release, why buy the game?  If there's no crafting at release, why buy the game?  If you can't use the social parts at release, why buy the game?

exactly the point. It has been stated over and over and over again in countless threads in this forum.

Filling the large expanse to explore is not something that the game developer is going to have any control over. 

yeh, I would say having things ready and playable would be a big part of the developers control.

I enjoyed the original Asheron's Call for the ability to explore places that nobody went.  I guess you have some insight as to how many people will decide to play this game?  I'm not saying you're wrong, but I guess I don't understand where you are getting your information.

From playing the game and seeing the usual number of players ingame since SOG launch until recently. The only time there was a population worth an effort for PvP was at the launch of SOG. Within a week that had dissipated to spending hours until you actually saw another toon. Flying around exploring is good and fun, there are only so many times you can do it before you see the same things again and again. Tedious , monotonous, boring.

Server instability is a big one for me.  The greatest game in the world is a total dud if you can't play it.

exactly.

I won't forget that I asked.  I was just trying to get a feel for whether it was worth my dollars or not.  On paper, it seems to have a ton of features that just scream, "Gee, I'd be a great game.  Buy me!". 

Lotsa ppl think the same. Many of us DID. Few of us still think so.

I just couldn't find any rational, meaningful idea of whether it lived up to what it says on paper.  The reason I mentioned DDO specifically is because on paper, it looked like a phenomenal game, but at release, it wasn't what was promised.  I'm trying to avoid a similar situation in the future.  And I agree, at release, everything they had in there was functional, and for the most part, stable.  However, it didn't include all that they'd promised on paper.

• ValnyoriValnyori Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by Valnyori

Whoa?  Be a real man?  Where'd that come from?  Real men don't ask questions?  I don't think you know me well enough to be so hostile.  Settle down there, killer.  It's ok.  Really.  

the sentence was "Be real man." BIG difference from how you read it.

Had I seen this information posted in a way that didn't appear to be hostile toward the game (c'mon, is it so much to ask for a dispassionate idea of what the game is?), I'd have read it and not bothered asking.

Nothing hostile about it. You misread the very first sentence.

exactly the point. It has been stated over and over and over again in countless threads in this forum.

Filling the large expanse to explore is not something that the game developer is going to have any control over. 

yeh, I would say having things ready and playable would be a big part of the developers control.

I enjoyed the original Asheron's Call for the ability to explore places that nobody went.  I guess you have some insight as to how many people will decide to play this game?  I'm not saying you're wrong, but I guess I don't understand where you are getting your information.

From playing the game and seeing the usual number of players ingame since SOG launch until recently. The only time there was a population worth an effort for PvP was at the launch of SOG. Within a week that had dissipated to spending hours until you actually saw another toon. Flying around exploring is good and fun, there are only so many times you can do it before you see the same things again and again. Tedious , monotonous, boring.

exactly.

I won't forget that I asked.  I was just trying to get a feel for whether it was worth my dollars or not.  On paper, it seems to have a ton of features that just scream, "Gee, I'd be a great game.  Buy me!". 

Lotsa ppl think the same. Many of us DID. Few of us still think so.

I just couldn't find any rational, meaningful idea of whether it lived up to what it says on paper.  The reason I mentioned DDO specifically is because on paper, it looked like a phenomenal game, but at release, it wasn't what was promised.  I'm trying to avoid a similar situation in the future.  And I agree, at release, everything they had in there was functional, and for the most part, stable.  However, it didn't include all that they'd promised on paper.

My apologies.  I misread your first sentence and it just kind of struck me as odd, that's all.

Thank you for taking the time out to help me decide whether this game was worth my green. 

• blacksacblacksac Member Posts: 1,045

Originally posted by Valnyori

Thank you for taking the time out to help me decide whether this game was worth my green. 

That was easy... only took the one persons "opinion"... wish it was always so easy for me
  • Where do you see "opinion"? Those are the facts as they stand. You cant dress it up. Thats the way the game is as it stands currently. Cant change the facts no matter how you try. Cant change the state of the game with promises. Its either there right now or its not and its not. Cant change the facts.

^ You know what they say about facts, stats, and history!

Our bias is our reality, and nothing gets more misused/abused than facts, stats, and history

• you have just reiterated Farlan's concept.

Eschew the reality because it really is bull***.

You stated in another thread that you have not even played this game? BS

You stated in another thread that you have not even played this game - yet you come up with some screenshots that no one has ever seen? BS

Then you turn and say a factual account of the way the game stands now is just an "opinion"?

yeh, okay Black,,,those cloud filled sunglasses of yours may need some dusting off. You are starting to lose touch with your own posts.

^ Lilbo your making stuff up

Supply a post where it says I never played any version of this game (DnL release/retail version not included of course)

Now check ALL the screens I posted, (Right click on ANY pic, then property check them, noting the address), then get back to me if you dare

You have just made a very strong point in favour of not trusting "facts" without first putting them together with motive.

I could just say you lied your a$$ off as I'm sure you would if situations were reversed

No more BS from you Lilbo... bias is screwing with the "facts" and you just handed that one to me.

Your lying Lilbo!... is that too harsh? What would you call it? Yeah I know, Lying!

• Hey Gonad whats with the flaming/lying?

I haven't brought this game, and I haven't preordered. I will defantly wait and see, never done/said any different

So far it appears that DnL will deliver, so I'm hopeful

The above are your words. If you have not bought the game, nor preordered, then how the heck are you gettting screenshots no one has ever seen? You cannot try and convince this board that you are a "lucky" freebie settler who just happens to have inside info and acess to screenshots no one has ever seen before.

So if you havent bought the game, or preordered, then how the hell do you even do all this damn spamming if you arent ingame and are not at least a pioneer? And Gnomad is correct -- do you honestly think this board believes you in this "wait and see" attitude???? You are busted dude.

Those are the facts of the game Black. Lets hear your take and refute that all that I said was just an "opinion".

All ANYBODY has to do is read the main DNL site and they will see the exact same thing I wrote. Cant refute me, the ppl here on the board that are also ingame as well as some of the ppl that post at the boards too (unless of course you wanna now try and say allllllllll those ppl are only expressing an opinion and the statements direct from FARLAN THEMSELVES are just miscommunicated, hmmmm?

^ Not so fast, dont forget the screenshot check!!!

Now it looks like you screwed the "facts" up.

Not preordering will have no baring on whether anyone has played any pre-release version of DnL. Remember SoG? Many where simply just invited to play... Remember Beta testers, no requirement to buy, Remember Stress testers many where both SoG players and/or Beta players 

You screwed with the "facts" and got it wrong, you therefore are a lier by your own definition, and I'll except that is now what you must judge/think your self to be

Now go and check on those screenies

• so you DID Try the tacky excuse of a freebie settler. Aint gonna fly fanboi. A lowly settler that had some screenies BEFORE the freebie settlers even got ingame???? Beta testers werent ALLOWED to post any screenshots.You will have us believe that out of alll those other ppl who didnt push upfront any cash to them -- YOU just happen to have been picked at random (and mind you, it was only 1 (one) person at that) , to leak inside info and leak screenshots???  Stress testers arent/werent free. Take your meds man. Better yet, get on your other fake names and come back on and make some more rude comments.

You cant handle the cold HARD FACTS. Like I said , check out the statements FARLAN THEMSELVES have stated. My words almost mirror their own. Check out the main DNL site and read the threads...the others have the same concerns. In fact, no one actually HAS to be a current player to know the state of the game as it is now. You simply need to read the threads seen allllll over the web as well as the statements from Farlan themselves.

^ check the screens lier, and prove me wrong
  • stick to the point liar. Those are the hard cold facts that can be backed up by simply reading most threads at DNL, the statements made by Farlan themselves including the most recent interviews and have ONE person, ONE person come on here and tell me I was only expressing "opinions"....You are truly desperate man. Desperate.

• Originally posted by blacksac
    ^ check the screens lier, and prove me wrong

and again, you want us alll to believe that out of all those people, who did not push any cash upfront to them (and btw - the STRESS test was for PAID MEMBERS ONLY --REMEMBER?) that you and only you were picked to leak info and screenshots?????? Give up your desperation, its embarrassing even to us.

^ Not even going try a bit to back up your lying?

Now we know don't we, what you are!  

(and btw - the STRESS test was for PAID MEMBERS ONLY --REMEMBER?)

Love it, that "fact" is another "fact" by you that is wrong... lier   

Remember, Beta testers didn't have to pay

Why should I or anyone believe a word you say again?

• dont have to back up anything --- I showed you your own statements, in your defense you even tried to pull that the stress tests were free and they werent -- I could also point to many posts by you in which you leaked info before anyone else knew, or related info only internal knowledge would have been privy to, then you come on here and say you havent bought the game, you haven't pre-ordered but you claim you got in free as a settler, you claim that you and only you was given the torch to be their one and only info leaker, screenshot leaker --- (and btw --- some of those screenshots you even stated you werent sure were "SOG or DNL" and we all know DNL was not even in closed paid only stress beta at the time and in fact, even Farlan stated it was only "internal" testing and we all have seen the screenshots of the Beta testers forums in which the beta testers were sitting on their thumbs and there was NO testing going on) so as you can see, I have nothing I need to back up. Its all right here in this forum, the dnl main site, the recent farlan interviews, the E3 write up and a look back at the SOG release. You are truly desperate to discredit me when you know damn well my post was not merely "opinions" --- that is the true facts of the state of the game as a CURRENT player. You cant sit here and tell me there IS everything in game I said there wasnt because there isnt. Me and about 80 other ppl know this and why? Because we are the only ones left who actually got in for a bit and played within the last few weeks. You gonna say all those other 80 ppl are liars too then huh? Desperate man, tee-totally desperate.
  • JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

I draw the line at calling a poster a liar but I know damn well NP3 is, just gotta love it when they show off their new robes in a ingame screenshot like this one

I miss DAoC

Lilbo... Still not a single proof

Lots of fluff and make-believe, but no proof... bad attempt at covering up your shoddy "facts" and lying

then I suggest you read the statement made by Farlan themselves. For paid pioneers only. REMEMBER???? Try another,. or better yet, get the lies sorted out between you befor you try to discredit any one telling the TRUTH about this game. Its not gonna work Blacksac. You are making yourself look almost too desperate you may hurt yourself or burst a blood vessel. You got busted man, simple.

then I suggest you read the statement made by Farlan themselves. For paid pioneers only. REMEMBER???? Try another,. or better yet, get the lies sorted out between you befor you try to discredit any one telling the TRUTH about this game. Its not gonna work Blacksac. You are making yourself look almost too desperate you may hurt yourself or burst a blood vessel. You got busted man, simple.
This discussion has been closed.