Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Dragonflight Review In Progress | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited December 2022 in News & Features Discussion

imageWorld of Warcraft: Dragonflight Review In Progress | MMORPG.com

The newest World of Warcraft expansion, Dragonflight, launched one week ago, and by all accounts has garnered a better reception than Shadowlands. With this in mind, how did the launch go, and what is the expansion like a week into it? Let's take a look.

Read the full story here

Comments

• SaruomoSaruomo Member UncommonPosts: 140
    I wonder how much Blizzard paid you for this.
    RidrithKidRiskSplattrDekahnViper482PetitSoldatcappytoiNephethenesisxlr8
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    All most makes me want to check it out.
    Almost :)
    Can’t get myself to ever try WoW again. At least, not yet. Who knows, maybe someday.

What’s the new player experience like? Are they instantly leveled and open to the new expansion?
    Relampago

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• emperorhades1emperorhades1 Member UncommonPosts: 310
    The dragonflight zones are a step in the right direction. Fantasy, non flat areas. The dracthyr still need a tank spec and non skinny bodies.

I actually think the areas were ruined by dragon flying. This won't be a popular statement.... Even I hate being given mounts that magically don't work each expansion. But, you skip the feeling of a journey, treacherous mountains to climb, roads that take you on a different path.

I think the dragons were a missed opportunity. They could have made it to where you needed an earth dragon to climb rocks in waking shores. A fire dragon to burn ice walls in azure whatever. Then unlock dragon flight in the final zone. That would have stretched out the content while still giving a sense of achievement for each zone.

The mythic + raid + system is still lazy.
    enesisxlr8
  • Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Well if memory is serving me correctly, only if you choose the new race are you able to "shortly" access the newest expansion.  I'm not sure if you start at 58 ro 59, but the new content is only open to your "toon" once it hits level 60. Anyone is welcome to correct me on what I posted.

• ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    So like every other expansion, it was great for the first week, new story and abilities are fun, little bit of a spin on crafting, but at the end of the week it comes down to the usual, either you just enjoy the GRIND or you think about trying to find a friendly guild to start running raids with. ITs kind of the same Every expansion. usually a 1 month renew is enough to get through content and move on.
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

Elvoc said:

So like every other expansion, it was great for the first week, new story and abilities are fun, little bit of a spin on crafting, but at the end of the week it comes down to the usual, either you just enjoy the GRIND or you think about trying to find a friendly guild to start running raids with. ITs kind of the same Every expansion. usually a 1 month renew is enough to get through content and move on.

We can say similar for other popular mmos. This is the standard fare nowadays.
    SovrathElvoc
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PonziniPonzini Member UncommonPosts: 506
    edited December 2022
    WoW is always fun at the start of an expansion for about a month. Explore the new area. Run the new dungeons. Run the new raid. Then I quit until next expansion. The player base will sour on Dragonflight as time goes on as they always do.

This is the problem with theme park MMOs. You ride all the rides and then its over. You are expected to run the same content over and over for months. Games like WoW need to evolve and incorporate at least SOME sandbox elements so the community can create their own content like player factions, player cities, player housing, etc. The profession rework was a SMALL step in that direction but its far from where it needs to be imo.
    Viper482Mallyx
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

Saruomo said:

I wonder how much Blizzard paid you for this.

Haters gon' hate. It's a great expansion so far. They finally listened to what people want (and their bank account). You're an idiot hater who I guarantee has not played one minute of this expansion.
    RnjypsyNepheth
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

Ponzini said:

WoW is always fun at the start of an expansion for about a month. Explore the new area. Run the new dungeons. Run the new raid. Then I quit until next expansion. The player base will sour on Dragonflight as time goes on as they always do.

This is the problem with theme park MMOs. You ride all the rides and then its over. You are expected to run the same content over and over for months. Games like WoW need to evolve and incorporate at least SOME sandbox elements so the community can create their own content like player factions, player cities, player housing, etc. The profession rework was a SMALL step in that direction but its far from where it needs to be imo.

And you know NOTHING about this expansion. That much is clear.
    Nepheth
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • giantessfangiantessfan Member UncommonPosts: 185
    Playing WoW for the first time and having a freaking blast. 
    SovrathArleeNepheth
  • BBQDruidBBQDruid Member UncommonPosts: 10
    edited December 2022

Viper482 said:

Ponzini said:

I want to be convinced that the game isn't just the same boring stuff without borrowed power to have a sense of lasting power and stuff to actually log in to do. Other than raid logging, what is there to do that matters? Like it or hate it, at least games like Albion always have stuff going on that is dynamic (taking people's gear, faction fights, invading player owned territories, etc).
    PetitSoldat
  • PetitSoldatPetitSoldat Member UncommonPosts: 133

The dragonflight zones are a step in the right direction. Fantasy, non flat areas. The dracthyr still need a tank spec and non skinny bodies.

I would be delighted if a simple patch could give us more customization options across all races... as well as some ability to hide the weapons of classes like monk, mage, shaman, warlock etc. Blizzard talks so much about representativeness, but I can hardly represent myself in this game with so little customization options. That would be a HUGE role playing breakthrough! It would be nice to have more options for faces, colors, hair... I WOULD PAY FOR IT.

PS: Having more body options for the Dracthyr would be REALLY COOL and would totally change my mind about them looking like an ugly lizard!

Arlee
  • SaruomoSaruomo Member UncommonPosts: 140
    edited December 2022
    Some of the comments sound like ads desperately trying to sell the same old game loop from 2004 to gullible people.

I tried it and regret buying it so soon. Got bored super fast as there is nothing new in the gameplay, story or environment.

I recommend people try it the last month of the expansion without paying for the expansion as I don’t think it’s worth a single penny and is another lazy expansion with zero creativity and zero evolution. I know this is harsh but it’s the truth for how I feel.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Saruomo said:
    Some of the comments sound like ads desperately trying to sell the same old game loop from 2004 to gullible people.

I tried it and regret buying it so soon. Got bored super fast as there is nothing new in the gameplay, story or environment.

I recommend people try it the last month of the expansion without paying for the expansion as I don’t think it’s worth a single penny and is another lazy expansion with zero creativity and zero evolution. I know this is harsh but it’s the truth for how I feel.

Basically the goal of WoW and the Everquest games at this point is just to get you to buy the expansions...I doubt they even care if it is any good, just get sales.
  • AngrakhanAngrakhan Member EpicPosts: 1,164
    Yeah, I'm sure I'd enjoy the leveling aspect and seeing the new zones, but then you're going to hit the wall of same ol' same ol'. Dungeons to gear up for M+ and the Raid Finder difficulty raid, repeat ad nauseum until you're as far as you care to push yourself. Maybe roll an alt. I dunno, I've just been down that road with WoW so many times already I'm not super motivated to do it again.

Nice sales pitch claiming you feel like you can do whatever you want to do rather than get ready for raiding, but fact of the matter is if you're not going to get ready for raiding you're going to get left behind. At some point everyone is running high level M+ and can't be bothered to come back down from the ivory tower to gear you up to catch you up with them. Then you're stuck, so yeah.. enjoy your exploration because it's all you're going to be doing shortly.
  • ArleeArlee Member UncommonPosts: 154

MadLovin said:

I would be delighted if a simple patch could give us more customization options across all races... as well as some ability to hide the weapons of classes like monk, mage, shaman, warlock etc. Blizzard talks so much about representativeness, but I can hardly represent myself in this game with so little customization options. That would be a HUGE role playing breakthrough! It would be nice to have more options for faces, colors, hair... I WOULD PAY FOR IT.

PS: Having more body options for the Dracthyr would be REALLY COOL and would totally change my mind about them looking like an ugly lizard!

OMG the weapons on monk! I am eternally amused because I often transmog my monk's weapons to swords because I have a whole swashbuckler things with her... but they just sit there on her back and she never fights with them ><

And yea. I think they did a good job on the skinny end of Dracthyr but I wish they would have taken the big end much further and then given use more options in between.
    PetitSoldat
  • ArleeArlee Member UncommonPosts: 154

Angrakhan said:

Yeah, I'm sure I'd enjoy the leveling aspect and seeing the new zones, but then you're going to hit the wall of same ol' same ol'. Dungeons to gear up for M+ and the Raid Finder difficulty raid, repeat ad nauseum until you're as far as you care to push yourself. Maybe roll an alt. I dunno, I've just been down that road with WoW so many times already I'm not super motivated to do it again.

Nice sales pitch claiming you feel like you can do whatever you want to do rather than get ready for raiding, but fact of the matter is if you're not going to get ready for raiding you're going to get left behind. At some point everyone is running high level M+ and can't be bothered to come back down from the ivory tower to gear you up to catch you up with them. Then you're stuck, so yeah.. enjoy your exploration because it's all you're going to be doing shortly.

You missed the point. I am already pretty much ready for raiding, and I did it by running dungeons, world quests, wandering around and doing random events... literally whatever I happened to feel like doing when I logged on. It used to be the only path to get gear for raiding was grind reps and farm dungeons. Now there are a lot more options to get to that goal, which yea has made it a lot more fun.
    PetitSoldat
  • LinifLinif Member UncommonPosts: 338
    I'm enjoying it too. Dragon Riding is easily one of the best mechanics they've introduced in a long time.

The dungeons are okay. They feel a tad too easy, but that'll change with M+ most assuredly.

Leveling experience was smooth. Just did all the side quests with the main quests and a fair few of them were genuinely interesting. The waking shores stuff, in particular, gave me some nice vibes. Azure Span too with the Tuskarr.

Overall, good expansion so far. Looking forward to getting stuck in with raiding and M+ next week. Hell, I'm even considering starting PvP for the first time.

As the author said, I just log in and do what I want. Spent all day yesterday cleaning up my quests and divebombing for herbs between areas. No feelings of obligation to grind some stuff for gear or "Artifact Power" or whatever the covenants wanted in shadowlands lol
    Arlee

Viper482 said:

Ponzini said:

My man. I am 378 item level. Engineering and Enchanting both near max. Max on Sebellian rep, near max on Wrathion. Max on Cobalt Assembly. Renown levels higher than anyone I know. Had gold on every advanced dragon race day 2. Heck I even got my cooking near max already. 1st week and I feel like I have exhausted much of the content outside raid and mythic+.

Instead of making completely false vague statements, tell me where you think I am wrong.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848

Ponzini said:

Viper482 said:

Ponzini said:

My man. I am 378 item level. Engineering and Enchanting both near max. Max on Sebellian rep, near max on Wrathion. Max on Cobalt Assembly. Renown levels higher than anyone I know. Had gold on every advanced dragon race day 2. Heck I even got my cooking near max already. 1st week and I feel like I have exhausted much of the content outside raid and mythic+.

Instead of making completely false vague statements, tell me where you think I am wrong.

To have what you say you have would take some hardcore grinding. You would have had to take a week off from work and be very knowledgeable about exactly how to hardcore grind the things needed to have what you say you have.

To have max and near max rep with Sabellion/Wrathion you have had to grind an exploit for hours and hours and hours. Which you cant do anymore because Blizzard fixed this.

To have near max in any crafting would take a ton of gold and a ton of grinding. I know for enchanting to get to the high levels you need lots of glowing titan orbs which are either a rare drop or expensive. On my server they go for 5k gold.

Im not even sure you can have 378 ilevel right now. You would need the 389 cobalt ring, a 386 crafted item and every other slot being a 372 from Mythic 0 would only get you to 374 ilevel.

So, you super hardcore grinded the entire expansion in the first week and now you complain about having nothing to do? Yeah, this doesnt smell right.

Xiaoki said:

Ponzini said:

Viper482 said:

Ponzini said:

To have what you say you have would take some hardcore grinding. You would have had to take a week off from work and be very knowledgeable about exactly how to hardcore grind the things needed to have what you say you have.

To have max and near max rep with Sabellion/Wrathion you have had to grind an exploit for hours and hours and hours. Which you cant do anymore because Blizzard fixed this.

To have near max in any crafting would take a ton of gold and a ton of grinding. I know for enchanting to get to the high levels you need lots of glowing titan orbs which are either a rare drop or expensive. On my server they go for 5k gold.

Im not even sure you can have 378 ilevel right now. You would need the 389 cobalt ring, a 386 crafted item and every other slot being a 372 from Mythic 0 would only get you to 374 ilevel.

So, you super hardcore grinded the entire expansion in the first week and now you complain about having nothing to do? Yeah, this doesnt smell right.

I did take a week off work. I still had a vacation week and its nearing the end of the year. Like I said, I enjoy WoW... for a month. Even if I half assed the grind I could have done it in 2 weeks instead of 1 which isnt a big deal.

By near max on enchanting and engineering I meant I am at 80/100. I havent bothered trying to farm titan orbs and I have just been selling my resonant crystals anyways. I even leveled up my tailoring first before I realized it was kinda pointless because of crafting orders so I swapped it for enchanting to disenchant. I have 100k more gold now than when I started from selling toys in engineering.

The Sabellion/Wrathion key farm was not an exploit it was just fast spawning mobs which was up for like 5 days. WoW's system where mobs spawn faster the faster they are killed always bites them in the ass every expansion and they end up nerfing like 10 farm spots. You can still farm the rep fairly easily though its not even hard.

Not sure what you mean about 378 being near impossible. It is actually really easy. Ran every m0, 389 cobalt ring, sabellion rep gives a 398 cape and 376 gloves I believe, I got 384 shoulders from tailoring before I dropped it (otherwise I would have made goggles by now). Everything else is 376-372 gear except for one ring.

Look, I like the game. Obviously. I just think it has the same problem WoW has had for years and people are getting bored of the formula. 5 dungeons, a raid, and some rep grinds. Wait a month and see. People are going to get bored fast waiting for 10.1 if they dont get it out real quick. It would be so valuable to have player made content along side the raids and dungeons to keep people busy in between content drops.

By the way I had basically no prior knowledge to how any of the systems work in Dragonflight before playing the expansion. I am just efficient with my time and learn as I go.
    Talmien
  • TalmienTalmien Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Ponzini said:

Look, I like the game. Obviously. I just think it has the same problem WoW has had for years and people are getting bored of the formula. 5 dungeons, a raid, and some rep grinds. Wait a month and see. People are going to get bored fast waiting for 10.1 if they dont get it out real quick. It would be so valuable to have player made content along side the raids and dungeons to keep people busy in between content drops.

I agree. I haven't done the grind nearly as hard as you have, but just started to enter M0s and already it feels like the same old content I've done over and over again. While I think the theme of the expansion is great, you just run out of new content so fast, and all you're left with is rep grinds and running the same instances 100 times for small gear upgrades. Nothing has really changed. Its that dungeon / rep gear tread mill formula that they seriously need to overhaul. I think 1 week is the fastest I've burnt out on a expansion.
    Ponzini
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848
    Ponzini said:

Xiaoki said:

Ponzini said:

Viper482 said:

Ponzini said:

By the way I had basically no prior knowledge to how any of the systems work in Dragonflight before playing the expansion. I am just efficient with my time and learn as I go.

So, you took a week off from to super grind only to come to the conclusion that you will quit playing for 2 years because you want WoW to be something it is not and never will be?

Because you like it so much.

Yeah, just like football is my favorite sport and I love it but I only watch it for a week then I get bored of it because the players arent riding camels over land mines.