Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828
    It's interesting to me to compare the AMD Ryzen chip family development. There have been 4 generations of Ryzen processors released, going from a 14nm process to 5nm.

So 4 generations of chip design, over 4 different process tech nodes, all done in LESS THAN HALF of the time SC has been in development.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    g00n scum red bum Roberts fun  :D
    TheDalaiBomba
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Rover missions to Mars take less time, and that's including flight time there and developing helicopter tech to land payloads the size of a jeep safely despite the mostly negligible atmosphere.

TheDalaiBombaScot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    They got too much money and thus wanted to create the perfect game. *shrug*

And that takes a lot of time.

Being a developer myself and knowing how cursed a job that is, I'm not surprised.
    Sovrath
  • TheDalaiBombaTheDalaiBomba Member EpicPosts: 1,493
    They got too much money and thus wanted to create the perfect game. *shrug*

And that takes a lot of time.

Being a developer myself and knowing how cursed a job that is, I'm not surprised.
    There is no perfect game, and that's a piss poor excuse for stringing the development along while continuously pushing for more cash from gamers.
    Champie
  • TheDalaiBombaTheDalaiBomba Member EpicPosts: 1,493
    Star Citizen is beyond a meme at this point.

It will never live up to expectations.  It will be an example of every possible con of crowdfunding (from a gamer's perspective) in the book by the time it is over.
    MendelChampie
    Why yes obviously there wont ever be such a thing as a perfect game. Or a perfect program, for that matter. You can always find something to make even better.

But give a fanboy of a game enough money and they dream big.

As I keep saying: you can check out the current development status on YouTube, people make videos about it. There is definitely a game that you can already play, and purely from graphics it looks great. It heavily lacks on directions though and it has a very steep learning curve. Its also not complete yet.

I honestly have no clue about what expectations people actually have about the game.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Why yes obviously there wont ever be such a thing as a perfect game. Or a perfect program, for that matter. You can always find something to make even better.

But give a fanboy of a game enough money and they dream big.

As I keep saying: you can check out the current development status on YouTube, people make videos about it. There is definitely a game that you can already play, and purely from graphics it looks great. It heavily lacks on directions though and it has a very steep learning curve. Its also not complete yet.

I honestly have no clue about what expectations people actually have about the game.

The expectations that Chris and his company have given them. Which is a fair bit more then what is being available right now, and an awful lot later.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Yeah, but were those other studios making games with big spaceships; well, were they?!
    Kyleran
    Kyleran said:
    Rover missions to Mars take less time, and that's including flight time there and developing helicopter tech to land payloads the size of a jeep safely despite the mostly negligible atmosphere.
    Well, we will see humans back on the Moon before SC launches, that's 2024 I think and no way will SC launch before then. In fact, assuming he intends to retire at 60 and wants to launch before he retires, the only thing we can be certain of is it will out be 2028.
    Kyleran
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Why launch when people keep funding your dreams of perfection for both, core and trivial game elements and you get a good salary to do that for a decade?
    KyleranScot
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Compared to Pantheon, which is a far smaller project in scope, Star Citizen is actually pretty quick ! :#
    Kyleran
    edited December 2022
    Iselin said:
    Why launch when people keep funding your dreams of perfection for both, core and trivial game elements and you get a good salary to do that for a decade?
    I have to say, if you were to ask me what would be your dream company as CEO? I would have to say CIG hits the spot; I could tweak my project forever and the money just keeps rolling in. It's the stuff that dreams are made of.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Sometimes we need fantasy to survive reality 
    https://biturl.top/rU7bY3
    Beyond the shadows there's always light
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,512
    This game will come out- eventually.

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• EldrachEldrach Member RarePosts: 416
    Compared to Pantheon, which is a far smaller project in scope, Star Citizen is actually pretty quick ! :#
    Pantheon has an excuse, their kickstarter failed - they had to secure alternate funding. Then the CEO of the company killed himself - and they still move on.

Star Citizen gained record sums far beyond their expectations..And they go at it for more..one more ship…500 USD! Spend more…mooooooore!

And they do have a game…a game so rough and buggy, so glitchy and featureless - that it barely qualifes as a tech demo.

100 star systems, sq49 - among the promises…yet they spend 99% of the cash on drawing, yes, drawing imaginary ships..and sell them for the average price of a Playstation 5 console….Even NFT’s are more «real» than that
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    edited December 2022
    Just like other companies used WoW's formula, I fear that the same may happen using SC...... They are setting a bad precedent......Bringing in tons of money while putting out very little in return is not good for consumers. For the amount of people they have working on this, it should be light years further ahead.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    At this point it isn't even funny.  It's just pathetic that a BS artist like CR keeps getting funding.
  • DigDuggyDigDuggy Member RarePosts: 641
    There is a point where calling it a 'timeline' becomes nonsensical.  The game which seemed arguably ahead in many ways at inception, is now arguably just in the mix.  They wasted one of the things that propelled them so far up in the first place.
  • eoloeeoloe Member RarePosts: 864
    In this story, what is really questionable is the intent. Was SC ever meant to be launched or just to be funded?
    eoloe said:
    In this story, what is really questionable is the intent. Was SC ever meant to be launched or just to be funded?
    Always an intent to launch something, just never really defined the MMP.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848
    The Simpsons did an entire episode on this, called "The Joy of Sect"
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Kyleran said:
    NASA was created in 1958, and 11 years later they launched people to the moon.

Cloud Imperium Games was created in 2012 and they still haven't launched their space game.

Vrika said:
    Kyleran said:
    NASA was created in 1958, and 11 years later they launched people to the moon.

Cloud Imperium Games was created in 2012 and they still haven't launched their space game.

Video game development isn't rocket science you know....

:)
    Arglebargle