Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest II's Renewal of Ro Expansion Drops Today, Bringing New Zones To Venerable MMO | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited November 2022 in Videos Discussion

imageEverQuest II's Renewal of Ro Expansion Drops Today, Bringing New Zones To Venerable MMO | MMORPG.com

EverQuest II's latest expansion, Renewal of Ro, launches today, bringing new quests, content and a new zone to the old MMORPG.

Read the full story here

Comments

• budzibudzi Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Get your CC ready.
  • OG_SolareusOG_Solareus Member RarePosts: 1,041
    edited November 2022
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Another EQII expansion release. Must be Tuesday...
    OG_SolareusRoinTheocritus
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    Say what you want but eq2 would have been huge if wow didnt release 4 months after it and swallow it with its huge fanbase
    Of course the hardware it needed to run good didnt help much either...
    TokkenValdheim
  • MarknMarkn Member UncommonPosts: 307

Remali said:

Say what you want but eq2 would have been huge if wow didnt release 4 months after it and swallow it with its huge fanbase

EQ2s game engine is still trash to this day you still get lag and hitches in the art loading when running it on high/ultra. They failed with EQ2 also by making it too hard early on its a better game now but too late.
    Tokken
  • OxspyttaOxspytta Member UncommonPosts: 20

Remali said:

Actually WoW came out about two weeks after EQ2 in the U.S (EQ2 Nov 8th &WoW Nov 23rd).
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    edited December 2022

Remali said:

EQ2 killed its own chances by requiring a super computer to run decently and expecting the new age of MMORPG players to put up with EQ'esque "difficulty" (mostly synthetic, and largely designed as a time sink).

The game was pretty good after they did the first few round of "revamps" to adjust, but by then it was too late.

The game still runs like ass even on pretty powerful PCs, because the developers were ignorant when they designed the engine.

I absolutely preferred raiding in EQ compared to WoW, but they really went overboard when they introduced "easy" content that dropped loot almost on par with the highest difficulty raid content (pretty much killing off lots of raiding guilds as people didn't want to show up when they could pug for easy loot elsewhere), started introducing all sorts of extra stats, etc.

Being able to raid without having to install tons of add-ons as so... liberating. You actually felt like you had to coordinate, communicate, pay attention more... and progression felt... like progression. That's, IMVHO, the best thing about EQ/EQ2.

My guild died pretty much overnight before AoD hit, when that content patch screwed the lower progression guilds, and that's when I stopped playing and never went back.
  • VidahrVidahr Member UncommonPosts: 115

Darksworm said:

Remali said:

EQ2 killed its own chances by requiring a super computer to run decently and expecting the new age of MMORPG players to put up with EQ'esque "difficulty" (mostly synthetic, and largely designed as a time sink).

The game was pretty good after they did the first few round of "revamps" to adjust, but by then it was too late.

The game still runs like ass even on pretty powerful PCs, because the developers were ignorant when they designed the engine.

I absolutely preferred raiding in EQ compared to WoW, but they really went overboard when they introduced "easy" content that dropped loot almost on par with the highest difficulty raid content (pretty much killing off lots of raiding guilds as people didn't want to show up when they could pug for easy loot elsewhere), started introducing all sorts of extra stats, etc.

Being able to raid without having to install tons of add-ons as so... liberating. You actually felt like you had to coordinate, communicate, pay attention more... and progression felt... like progression. That's, IMVHO, the best thing about EQ/EQ2.

My guild died pretty much overnight before AoD hit, when that content patch screwed the lower progression guilds, and that's when I stopped playing and never went back.

I can attest to your first statement. My EQ guild was prepared to move to EQ2 until only about 5 of us had computers strong enough to run it.

WoW came out and people starting trickling over to that and everyone eventually ended up moving and our guild that started out on UO and EQ moved to WoW.

These days we're all over the place.
    Tokken
  • CalavryCalavry Member UncommonPosts: 113

Remali said:

EQ2 has a third of the player base of EQ which says it all really.
    Tokken
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    edited December 2022
    Markn said:

Remali said:

EQ2s game engine is still trash to this day you still get lag and hitches in the art loading when running it on high/ultra. They failed with EQ2 also by making it too hard early on its a better game now but too late.

The initial tradeskills were pretty much a joke.....You had to  do multiple combines to make a single craft at times, often having to get them from other players......Then they went too far the other diorection and the game became too easy.....THe level 120s today pretty much walk through the game.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166

Calavry said:

Remali said:

EQ2 has a third of the player base of EQ which says it all really.

What says more is that EQII still endures regardless.

If nothing else, they both seem reliable.
    ScotRemaliTokken
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Normally with a population this small the game would be shutdown but this game and its players get expansions and is supported. I loved playing this as recently as last year and I am glad it is still around.
    Tokken
    Chamber of Chains
  • budzibudzi Member UncommonPosts: 68

cheyane said:

Normally with a population this small the game would be shutdown but this game and its players get expansions and is supported. I loved playing this as recently as last year and I am glad it is still around.

you musta bought the 400$ expansion pack to get par with other players.
    No I was not interested in the end game. I was interested in the various zones and levelling up slowly with my merc. I adored going to the original dungeons and running them slowly and following the lore and quests. The wealth of content is substantial and I had no desire to miss the work that they had poured into the dungeons. There was so much detail and wonderful things to find and the quests were challenging.

I am also a big fan of the housing in this game. I hardly spent much but I did buy the previous expansion for the familiar. I also paid a sub. I think that was more than fair for the amount of fun playing through the game gave me.
    Tokken
    Chamber of Chains
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    cheyane said:
    No I was not interested in the end game. I was interested in the various zones and levelling up slowly with my merc. I adored going to the original dungeons and running them slowly and following the lore and quests. The wealth of content is substantial and I had no desire to miss the work that they had poured into the dungeons. There was so much detail and wonderful things to find and the quests were challenging.

I am also a big fan of the housing in this game. I hardly spent much but I did buy the previous expansion for the familiar. I also paid a sub. I think that was more than fair for the amount of fun playing through the game gave me.
    Me, too. I waited on end game and instead explored the zones. I also went on mrec hunts to get Kenny, etc. It was FUN. EQ2 is a great escape from other traditional MMORPG's.
    cheyane

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

Me too I got Kenny on a few of the classes I played.
    Chamber of Chains