Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New computer video card advice

MadBomber13MadBomber13 Member UncommonPosts: 116
Finally buying a new computer after 8 years. I have everything figured out but I'm torn between video cards. In my price range and availability are a AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT and GeForce RTX 3070 Ti. Roughly the same price although the 3070 is $80 more expensive. I looked at reviews and articles online but they tend to be in the lines of both good, 6800 XT slightly better depending on the games in question, 3070 Ti better longevity before needing to upgrade.  Any thoughts or advice would be welcome. 

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Considering that the 6800 XT is a significantly faster card for a significantly lower price, I don't think it's a hard decision.  Why would you think that the 3070 Ti would last longer before you need to upgrade in spite of being slower?
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    RX 6800 XT is a bit more powerful, whereas RTX 3070 TI is faster at ray-tracing and can do DLSS2.

If they were same price, one could raise a question on whether 3070 TI's ray-tracing and DLSS2 capabilities are enough to offset that the card is otherwise less powerful. But since RX 6800 XT is cheaper, imho there's no real question, go with RX 6800 XT.

This is written assuming that both of the models you're thinking about have about equal cooling.

Ridelynn

• MadBomber13MadBomber13 Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Quizzical said:
    Considering that the 6800 XT is a significantly faster card for a significantly lower price, I don't think it's a hard decision.  Why would you think that the 3070 Ti would last longer before you need to upgrade in spite of being slower?
    I didn't. It was an article written on Tom's Hardware. It argued that ray-tracing would potentially mean the 3070 would have a longer use life. 
    edited November 2022

Vrika said:
    RX 6800 XT is a bit more powerful, whereas RTX 3070 TI is faster at ray-tracing and can do DLSS2.

If they were same price, one could raise a question on whether 3070 TI's ray-tracing and DLSS2 capabilities are enough to offset that the card is otherwise less powerful. But since RX 6800 XT is cheaper, imho there's no real question, go with RX 6800 XT.

This is written assuming that both of the models you're thinking about have about equal cooling.

Yes, same cooling. Thank you for the advice. :) 
  • OG_SolareusOG_Solareus Member RarePosts: 1,041
    edited November 2022
    I'm on a rx6600 and can play any mmo on max settings . The RX6800XT is one heck of a card. Which board maker though, I would suggest sapphire.
    Quizzical said:
    I didn't. It was an article written on Tom's Hardware. It argued that ray-tracing would potentially mean the 3070 would have a longer use life. 
    Both cards can do ray tracing.  So far, most games don't do ray tracing at all, and even those that do only do a little bit because that's all that the hardware can handle.  By the time games go heavier on ray tracing and make it really matter, nothing that is on the market today will be able to keep up.  And that includes the RTX 4090, which offers about double the performance of the 6800 XT and well over double that of the 3070 Ti.

If you're constantly upgrading and playing games that use the latest features that are limited to the latest cards, then maybe you can squint and see a case that you might keep the GeForce card for two years and the Radeon for one.  If longevity to you means hoping that you'll keep a card for eight years instead of six, then the only things on the market today that matter are DirectX 12, Vulkan, and which vendor is more likely to port future features back to older hardware.
    Splattr
  • SplattrSplattr Member RarePosts: 543
    I agree with Quizzical about the longevity of these cards. You obviously aren't upgrading your rig every couple of years since you ran 8 years on your current one. So three or four years down the line the only thing that will matter is pure horsepower, not whether one is better for ray tracing today. Remember, ray tracing is replacing current rendering, it's just an enhancement like anti aliasing, and you'll be turning it off three years from now (and probably tomorrow too) because your card won't be able to push the frame rate.

Grab the 6800 and save the $80 or use it to move up to the next tier CPU, grab some extra ram or a bigger hard drive. Spend it on something that will extend the life of your pc, not ray tracing.
    Quizzical said:
    Quizzical said:
    Both cards can do ray tracing.  So far, most games don't do ray tracing at all, and even those that do only do a little bit because that's all that the hardware can handle.  By the time games go heavier on ray tracing and make it really matter, nothing that is on the market today will be able to keep up.  And that includes the RTX 4090, which offers about double the performance of the 6800 XT and well over double that of the 3070 Ti.

If you're constantly upgrading and playing games that use the latest features that are limited to the latest cards, then maybe you can squint and see a case that you might keep the GeForce card for two years and the Radeon for one.  If longevity to you means hoping that you'll keep a card for eight years instead of six, then the only things on the market today that matter are DirectX 12, Vulkan, and which vendor is more likely to port future features back to older hardware.
    There's a good enough chance that future games with ray-tracing will support NVidia's current ray-tracing + DLSS solution, and RTX 3070 Ti would likely allow you to run games on good graphic settings longer than AMD equivalent GPU. Those NVidia's techniques are worth something whether your plan is to stick with the GPU 2 years or 7 years.

They just should not be given too much importance. When AMD option is both faster and cheaper (as long as those special techniques aren't used), then AMD's option is better.

• SplattrSplattr Member RarePosts: 543
    Vrika said:
    Quizzical said:
    Quizzical said:

There's a good enough chance that future games with ray-tracing will support NVidia's current ray-tracing + DLSS solution, and RTX 3070 Ti would likely allow you to run games on good graphic settings longer than AMD equivalent GPU. Those NVidia's techniques are worth something whether your plan is to stick with the GPU 2 years or 7 years.

They just should not be given too much importance. When AMD option is both faster and cheaper (as long as those special techniques aren't used), then AMD's option is better.
    You'd be correct if DLSS was the only upscaling option out there. But AMD has FSR. And with FSR being a software-based solution, you would be able to take advantage of future iterations while you could be locked out of future DLSS improvements due to a lack of the required hardware, right? Maybe? Possibly? I'm sorta just guessing here since I'm not well versed on the subject. Hopefully, you guys can elaborate on this?
    edited November 2022
    Splattr said:
    Vrika said:
    Quizzical said:
    Quizzical said:

You'd be correct if DLSS was the only upscaling option out there. But AMD has FSR. And with FSR being a software-based solution, you would be able to take advantage of future iterations while you could be locked out of future DLSS improvements due to a lack of the required hardware, right? Maybe? Possibly? I'm sorta just guessing here since I'm not well versed on the subject. Hopefully, you guys can elaborate on this?
    DLSS version 3 added ability to generate new frames without any CPU help that won't work without new specialized hardware. However they made it so that if you play DLSS 3 game on older DLSS hardware, it just disables that one feature requiring new tech while all other features still work.

Whatever GPU you buy today, if you plan to use it for 6+ years it's likely that manufacturers add some new hardware that can do some new tech. Both NVidia and AMD do this. But normally any tech requiring new hardware is added just as an option alongside support for the old tech, and everyone tries their best to keep backward compatibility so that game devs would get game sales on all the older hardware that's still in use.

As it is, RX 6800 XT has hardware and software for FSR support, whereas RTX 3070 TI has hardware and software for both FSR and DLSS support (excluding the ability to generate frames without CPU help). So that's a win for NVidia - just not so important that you should pick NVidia over AMD card that's otherwise faster and cheaper.

EDIT: Also when comparing DLSS and FSR we should remember that they are not equal. DLSS is better than FSR.

Vrika said:
    Splattr said:
    Vrika said:
    Quizzical said:
    Quizzical said:

DLSS version 3 added ability to generate new frames without any CPU help that won't work without new specialized hardware. However they made it so that if you play DLSS 3 game on older DLSS hardware, it just disables that one feature requiring new tech while all other features still work.

Whatever GPU you buy today, if you plan to use it for 6+ years it's likely that manufacturers add some new hardware that can do some new tech. Both NVidia and AMD do this. But normally any tech requiring new hardware is added just as an option alongside support for the old tech, and everyone tries their best to keep backward compatibility so that game devs would get game sales on all the older hardware that's still in use.

As it is, RX 6800 XT has hardware and software for FSR support, whereas RTX 3070 TI has hardware and software for both FSR and DLSS support (excluding the ability to generate frames without CPU help). So that's a win for NVidia - just not so important that you should pick NVidia over AMD card that's otherwise faster and cheaper.

EDIT: Also when comparing DLSS and FSR we should remember that they are not equal. DLSS is better than FSR.
    How likely do you think it is that Nvidia will still be on DLSS 2 as opposed to DLSS 6 or 7 or some replacement for it six years from now?  Or do you think that it's more likely that future games will implement future versions rather than continuing to add DLSS 2 even after Nvidia is trying to get them to move to something newer?

And how likely do you think it is that Nvidia will port those newer versions back to older hardware?  Even if DLSS 5.0 is the greatest thing ever, it won't matter if the 3070 Ti doesn't support it.  And it probably won't.  Nvidia generally wants people to buy new hardware rather than sticking with their old and will often decline to implement new features on older hardware even if they readily could do so.

While DLSS and FSR aren't equal, I don't think it's far to say that DLSS is better.  DLSS carries some major drawbacks that FSR doesn't.  The details are complicated, but I explained it here:

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/499212/the-trouble-with-dlss-and-related-algorithms
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    edited November 2022
    Keep in mind also the new amd gpu's are out soon.
    Ridelynn

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

edited November 2022
    Asm0deus said:
    Latest news for AMD launch is that schedule is so tight most manufacturers can't launch their non-reference designs on Dec 13th.

If you can wait until January with the purchase, then it might be good idea to wait. But getting AMD's next gen parts before Christmas is looking uncertain.
    Post edited by Vrika on

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited November 2022
    Vrika said:
    Quizzical said:
    Quizzical said:

I don't think I would weight DLSS/RT nearly as much as you are right now.

FIrst off - DLSS requires game support - not every game has it, and not even every new game today has it. So it's a long shot to assume that all, or even many, future games will continue to use it. I'm sure they will as long as nVidia continues to pay them to use it. 

But AMD also has FSR, which is nearly equivalent, and cross-platform. It's also per-game, like DLSS, but I think this fight is going to go kinda like how GeSync / Freesync ended up going. Sure, GeSync is still a thing, but it's not a selling point any  more because Freesync and open VRR standards pretty much took over and made it meaningless.

So, if anything, the up-sampling argument is a draw with respect to longevity, and either of them require some willingness to predict the future.

And to throw more FUD at that argument: nVidia just locked DLSS 3 behind the 4000 series, meaning if you want to use it you have to upgrade your card anyway. FSR support right now is both cross platform, and goes back a couple of generations. That isn't to say that AMD won't also lock future revisions behind hardware upgrades; but they have went out of their way to be as inclusive as possible so far.

DLSS 3, and probably future revisions, aren't going to work on a 3070. FSR will, though, but it will work ~better~ on the cheaper 6800.

Raytracing, on either - nah, wouldn't consider that a longevity issue on either. THe 3070 will do RT faster, but it will do most everything else slower. And titles, as they come out in the future, would require more of it, rather than less of it, making a card you buy today pretty worthless for RT in games that come won't come out in 2-3-5-8 years from now.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Vrika said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Latest news for AMD launch is that schedule is so tight most manufacturers can't launch their non-reference designs on Dec 13th.

If you can wait until January with the purchase, then it might be good idea to wait. But getting AMD's next gen parts before Christmas is looking uncertain.
    This is true. But even a paper launch will have some pressure on existing product pricing. I'd expect 4080 prices to adjust somewhat if there is any competition there, and current gen stuff (AMD 6000 / nVidia 3000 series stuff) may juggle even further.
    edited November 2022
    Asm0deus said:
    Someone who is considering buying a new $600 GPU today probably isn't that interested in the launch of a $1000 or $1200 GPU.  While there will be new GPUs further down the stack, those could easily be several months away.
    Vrika said:
    Asm0deus said:

AMD says that the new cards will use 20 Gbps GDDR6.  Samsung and Hynix both say that their 20 Gbps GDDR6 is only sampling and not yet in mass production.  Micron doesn't offer GDDR6 clocked above 16 Gbps.  Expect a very soft launch, at least at first.

Sources, in case you want to know what I'm talking about:

https://semiconductor.samsung.com/dram/gddr/gddr6/
    https://product.skhynix.com/products/dram/gddr/gddr6.go
    https://www.micron.com/products/ultra-bandwidth-solutions/gddr6/part-catalog

There aren't any other major memory vendors capable of manufacturing comparably advanced DRAM chips.

For what it's worth, I made the same call on the launch of the GTX 1080, RTX 3080, and RTX 3090 for the same reasons, and in all of those cases, it took several months after launch for supplies to stabilize.  I don't think any of those cards were widely available at MSRP within six months of their official launch.

I'm hoping that AMD will have heavy volume of their new generation sooner than that, but if they need 20 Gbps GDDR6, then it's out of their hands, as they're waiting on Samsung or Hynix.  If 20 Gbps GDDR6 is delayed, then AMD might launch lower end parts with 18 Gbps GDDR6, which is already available from Samsung--and already used on the RX 6950X.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    edited November 2022
    All entirely possible but the launch date is expected to be dec 13 so it may be worth waiting but then again OP might be okay with a 6800xt etc too.

Just good to know the new gpu's are coming. I would expect AMD already has a batch  for a soft launch at the least.

btw the new gpu's are not 1000$ and 1200$ but 899$ and 999$ maybe you were including taxes though or something.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Thank you all for the advice and discussion. Lot's to read.

Mostly been using NVIDIA video cards for the last two decades so AMD products are a bit of a mystery to me. I really don't need the latest cutting edge tech out there since mostly playing not to graphic intensive titles lately (GW2, TF2, Farthest Frontier, Medieval Dynasty and the like).

Think I will go with the AMD card and save a nickel or two. :)
    Asm0deus said:
    All entirely possible but the launch date is expected to be dec 13 so it may be worth waiting but then again OP might be okay with a 6800xt etc too.

Just good to know the new gpu's are coming. I would expect AMD already has a batch  for a soft launch at the least.

btw the new gpu's are not 1000$ and 1200$ but 899$ and 999$ maybe you were including taxes though or something.
    If the needed memory chips don't exist in large volumes, then AMD can't make working cards in large volumes.  That won't prevent a soft launch, but a soft launch isn't going to keep the cards in stock at MSRP.  By the time scalpers have their say, you could easily be looking at well over $1000 for the next several months.

Nvidia doesn't have this problem because they're using 21 Gbps GDDR6X from Micron, which has been in mass production for quite some time now.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited November 2022
    My view on Dlss and its AMD equivalent is that they are a make sick feature. If you get motion sickness Dlss makes it worse. It also ruins the intended image and tends to over brighten.
    To me its like a Chinese Battery. What capacity do you want to write on the side of the low capacity battery? It just makes you hit the target FPS regardless of the image/motion degradation.
    Raytracing isn't ready for prime time.
    To me the biggest feature of nVidia is their ability to change rendering paths for an old game. But that technology hasn't been released yet. 
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,428
    Cleffy said:
    My view on Dlss and its AMD equivalent is that they are a make sick feature. If you get motion sickness Dlss makes it worse. It also ruins the intended image and tends to over brighten.
    To me its like a Chinese Battery. What capacity do you want to write on the side of the low capacity battery? It just makes you hit the target FPS regardless of the image/motion degradation.
    Raytracing isn't ready for prime time.
    To me the biggest feature of nVidia is their ability to change rendering paths for an old game. But that technology hasn't been released yet. 
    Change rendering paths for old games? What is that?
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Rtx Remix
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,428
    Cleffy said:
    Rtx Remix
    Ah yes, that's the thingamabob that was showcased with Ald-Ruhn Mages Guild, Morrowind. Thought it was that.

Bloody awesome tech!