Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a good sandbox MMORPG, preferably isometric.

inferno89inferno89 Member UncommonPosts: 16
edited November 2022 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Hi all,
I am looking for a decent sandbox MMORPG to sink into and after some suggestions. My co-op buddy and I prefer isometric games as UO was our first and favourite MMORPG, and we've played most of the western MMORPGs to date. We enjoyed Legends of Aria while it was being actively developed but that has died off, and similar with Fractured Online. We are essentially looking for UO2 but haven't found it yet. Britaria seems to have some promise under its new development team but NFT's give a foul taste. I am enjoying Embers Adrift for its slower pace and more oldschool MMORPG feel, but it's a little too slow-going for our couple of hours here and there #dadgamer playsessions.

We don't class games like Valheim, Conan Exiles etc as MMORPGs though as we're getting desperate for a decent game to dive into, we may need to go back to something like that. Theme park MMORPG's are ok and we jumped back into New World, but it's the same old rinse and repeat of grabbing quests in an area, running there and smashing those then turning them in. We're looking for a bit more free thinking, pick a direction and slay everything in our path and maybe picking up some good loot along the way.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785
    edited November 2022
    Sorry, I can't think of anything. 

Once upon a time....

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Albion Online?
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • inferno89inferno89 Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Sovrath said:
    Albion Online?
    We tried that at release and while it was enjoyable for a few months, interest slowly waned. Once Legends of Aria came along, it was a better game for us at that time. We are considering going back but not overly enthused about it. Nothing is really jumping out at us unfortunately. Might have to go back to UO Outlands of UO Forever. Definitely keen for Raph Koster's new sandbox game in development but that's a long way off.
    inferno89 said:
    Sovrath said:
    Albion Online?
    We tried that at release and while it was enjoyable for a few months, interest slowly waned. Once Legends of Aria came along, it was a better game for us at that time. We are considering going back but not overly enthused about it. Nothing is really jumping out at us unfortunately. Might have to go back to UO Outlands of UO Forever. Definitely keen for Raph Koster's new sandbox game in development but that's a long way off.
    I'm waiting to see Raph's new game too. 
    He's been my only hope for a long time. 

inferno89

Once upon a time....

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Project Gorgon?  EVE Online? Fallout 76?

Not many choices in recent years under the heading of sandbox MMORPG, good or otherwise.

inferno89

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited November 2022
    Kyleran said:

Not many choices in recent years under the heading of sandbox MMORPG, good or otherwise.

Have you tried Project Gorgon? It's been on my wishlist but haven't dived in yet. I see it has a demo so I might give that a try and see how it plays.

I have tried to get into EVE Online many times over the years but always get overwhelmed. My last attempt I actually got through most of the tutorial missions but then got stuck on something and didn't go back. I might try it again.

Fallout 76 isn't a bad suggestion either. We do like the game and it does tick some sandbox 'boxes', but we have to be in the mood for that wasteland setting. At the moment we're in a fantasy/medieval setting mood. Sounds weird but it happens haha. Still, good suggestions thanks.
    inferno89 said:
    Kyleran said:

Have you tried Project Gorgon? It's been on my wishlist but haven't dived in yet. I see it has a demo so I might give that a try and see how it plays.

I have tried to get into EVE Online many times over the years but always get overwhelmed. My last attempt I actually got through most of the tutorial missions but then got stuck on something and didn't go back. I might try it again.

Fallout 76 isn't a bad suggestion either. We do like the game and it does tick some sandbox 'boxes', but we have to be in the mood for that wasteland setting. At the moment we're in a fantasy/medieval setting mood. Sounds weird but it happens haha. Still, good suggestions thanks.
    What are the "Sandbox boxes" you're talking about? 

I have the same basic question about Project Gorgon, for anyone who's played it...what Sandbox features does it have? Or lack? 

Once upon a time....

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122
    Project:Gorgon isn't really a sandbox, but your play isn't heavily guided by the game either. The longest period of direction is a couple minutes of tutorial on the starting island and then off you go to try to find a way off it.

There are quests, but they don't drag you about by the nose from character creation onward. Rather, you can just set off on a tangent of your choosing and explore the world as you wish. In that way it's kind of like a sandbox.

If any of you have any specific questions I'll try to answer them for you but I'm not an expert on it so I may not be address them all.
    inferno89Amaranthar
    inferno89 said:
    Kyleran said:

I have the same basic question about Project Gorgon, for anyone who's played it...what Sandbox features does it have? Or lack? 
    A bit like how KnightFalz described Project Gorgon above. To me a sandbox should be a world you can explore at your own pace and you get some slight guidance initially but then you can just go and do whatever you want to do. A classless system is the best for this as what you do literally makes you stronger in those things, eg swing a sword, chop a tree, etc. Pick a direction and kill anything that gets in your way, and feel like you have accomplished something in that short period of time, be it skill gains, loot drops, etc. Fallout 76 has quests, but they're optional and rather there's more benefit where if you see something in the distance, you can run to it and start killing things on the way and feel yourself getting stronger/finding loot on the journey.

You can do this method in theme park MMORPGs, but there is a much higher benefit to grabbing a bunch of quests and going where they tell you to go without much thought, clicking through quest dialogue and not understanding why you're doing what you're doing. The challenge is there in a different way but it's a very guided way, and you may get some random loot while hunting but the majority of benefit comes from turning the quest back in.

We jumped into New World last night and decided to do the main story quest. This has us running for about 10 minutes. We killed things along the way to make use of the 2x XP atm. Once we got to the story quest, it then sent us to an area a few zones away, so we fast travelled over. It made the journey disjointed and we were just fast travelling all over the map from quest to quest. We stopped and just ran to a village taking out the monsters but xp was hard to come by that way.

The journey will be different for everyone, but we get more value out of sandboxes and making our own decisions each play session. So long as we feel we've got value out of the 1/2/3 hour session, that's the main thing.
    Amaranthar
    edited November 2022
    Project:Gorgon isn't really a sandbox, but your play isn't heavily guided by the game either. The longest period of direction is a couple minutes of tutorial on the starting island and then off you go to try to find a way off it.

There are quests, but they don't drag you about by the nose from character creation onward. Rather, you can just set off on a tangent of your choosing and explore the world as you wish. In that way it's kind of like a sandbox.

If any of you have any specific questions I'll try to answer them for you but I'm not an expert on it so I may not be address them all.

I think freedom of movement around the world is the first step in creating a Sandbox game. 
    Next step is worldly interaction. 
    After that and closely following is the social aspects, tools and systems for player interactions and organizations. 

But then you need a great world to do all of that in. 
    You need the basic hack and slash and spellery. 
    And then you need to add reasons to interact in the world. Fun reasons. 
    It's like Exploration. It's not enough to just see what's over the hill. You need Discoveries every once in a while, too. Fun and rewarding Discoveries, in one way or another. 

Once upon a time....

inferno89 said:
    inferno89 said:
    Kyleran said:

A bit like how KnightFalz described Project Gorgon above. To me a sandbox should be a world you can explore at your own pace and you get some slight guidance initially but then you can just go and do whatever you want to do. A classless system is the best for this as what you do literally makes you stronger in those things, eg swing a sword, chop a tree, etc. Pick a direction and kill anything that gets in your way, and feel like you have accomplished something in that short period of time, be it skill gains, loot drops, etc. Fallout 76 has quests, but they're optional and rather there's more benefit where if you see something in the distance, you can run to it and start killing things on the way and feel yourself getting stronger/finding loot on the journey.

You can do this method in theme park MMORPGs, but there is a much higher benefit to grabbing a bunch of quests and going where they tell you to go without much thought, clicking through quest dialogue and not understanding why you're doing what you're doing. The challenge is there in a different way but it's a very guided way, and you may get some random loot while hunting but the majority of benefit comes from turning the quest back in.

We jumped into New World last night and decided to do the main story quest. This has us running for about 10 minutes. We killed things along the way to make use of the 2x XP atm. Once we got to the story quest, it then sent us to an area a few zones away, so we fast travelled over. It made the journey disjointed and we were just fast travelling all over the map from quest to quest. We stopped and just ran to a village taking out the monsters but xp was hard to come by that way.

The journey will be different for everyone, but we get more value out of sandboxes and making our own decisions each play session. So long as we feel we've got value out of the 1/2/3 hour session, that's the main thing.
    I spent years doing just any old thing in UO. 
    I spent a lot of time trying to figure out if "broken lore" was actually broken or some big and very cool secret. 

There were marble pillar circles that seemed connected. They were identicle, if I remember. One was near the entrance to Shame, and the other was in the southern jungles. 
    But that one (in the jungles) would disappear from time to time, and then reappear again later. I think it had to do with updates and old saves, just a fluke. But I always wondered, so my Mage would Recall back and forth, trying different things, making notes and checking for reactions both immediate and in days to come. 
    I never figured anything out, but it was a fun time waster for a player who likes riddles. 

By the way, in case you've never seen it...
    https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/487824/the-greatest-quest-artifact-to-ever-exist-in-mmorpgs

Once upon a time....

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122

I think freedom of movement around the world is the first step in creating a Sandbox game. 
    After that and closely following is the social aspects, tools and systems for player interactions and organizations. 

It's like Exploration. It's not enough to just see what's over the hill. You need Discoveries every once in a while, too. Fun and rewarding Discoveries, in one way or another. 

You're free to go wherever you like, provided you know the way there and are powerful enough to make the journey.

You can't impact the world the way groups of players can in EVE, so there none of that element of sandbox.

There are guilds. They are customizable in that you can change the names of the ranks to suit your preference and guild storage is available. There are tools for setting permissions and such. I don't think there are actual guild halls. I've never been part of one so don't know much about them.

There is plenty of hacking, slashing, and spelling one can do. There are numerous types of magic and other unusual abilities. Fire mages, ice mages, necromancers, priests, mentalists, combat psychologists and more.

Beyond that are more esoteric abilities.

One can become a Druid, which comes with special powers but also obligations in game. There are periodic crises that they must strive to solve. They get no XP from any other activity until they do. Those that do participate get rewarded.

You can open up the ability to create Fairy characters, which have their own magic unique to them.

Players can be cursed with or seek out animal forms. Should they remain in those forms they can learn abilities specific to them. However, early on there is a disadvantage in that non-animals won't be able to understand you well. Basically, you get a Beast Speech skill when you're an animal and the higher it is the better you can communicate in chat. The lower it is the more often whatever you type is turned into animal sounds.

Another feature of the game is that you can build relationships with many of the NPCs by either doing them favours or giving them appreciated gifts. Doing so will lead to varying benefits depending on the NPC, such as being given items, gaining access to training opportunities, being granted more storage space, and kinds of other things.

A neat little feature is that those NPCs you have a high relationship with will sometimes give you gifts during the holidays if you speak to them at that time. There is no housing as of yet, but one of the features suggested may be part of it is occasional visits to your home by NPCs you have a strong relationship with. Some nice touches there.

There are all kinds of things to find out in the wilderness from puzzles to solve to hidden away alternate entrances that can serve as backdoors to dungeons.

Also, there are little touches here and there you don't often see. For example, if you are set on fire and taking damage over time if there is water nearby going in  will douse the flames, ending that ongoing damage.

There are so many things that can be said about the game I'm barely scratching the surface here.  Their Wiki provides much more in the way of detail, but reading too much of that will spoil the exploration and discovery elements of the game as their disclaimer says, so read at your own risk.
    Amaranthar
    edited November 2022

Totally agree that you need to have meaningful and rewarding exploration activities. This is what let us down with Legends of Aria. We would run around and might find a cave but it would be empty. There are points of interest spread around the world but in between there's just nothing and we would be running for like 10-15 minutes of real time to get between monster spawns. Same with Fractured Online, there's a large number of points of interest to visit and in between there are monsters spread thin but with not much variety. With UO at least have monsters to kill every screen you go across. Guild Wars 2 is also cool with its jumping puzzles that are often camouflaged with the environment and you may not see them until you're up close to them and realise this ledge can be jumped to, etc.
    Amaranthar
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    Ashen Empires?  Now on Steam....
    inferno89

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Ashen Empires?  Now on Steam....
    Wow I have never heard of this game. I'll definitely check it out, thanks!
  • BiGHaRRyBiGHaRRy Newbie CommonPosts: 3
    edited November 2022
    I'm not sure if this is a sandbox, but I'd like to think that Valorant is a great idea.
    Post edited by BiGHaRRy on
    Dibdabs
  • UwakionnaUwakionna Member RarePosts: 1,139
    Not quite sure Valorant qualifies as a sandbox...
    Truvidienn
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    Fractured Online, mind you.... it is EA.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• TruvidiennTruvidienn Member UncommonPosts: 320
    What about V Rising? I hear that's pretty good.
    edited November 2022
    I dont class Valorant and those types of multiplayer games as MMORPGs. V Rising, while an interesting multiplayer ARPG, hasn't got the allure of a MMORPG - Massively Multiplayer Online is the key for me. ie. thousands of players in a persistent world that I can see running around and can talk/interact/play with.

We've been playing Fractured Online, but we have seen everything we wanted to see in this early access version. Knowing that our characters will be wiped before launch means we don't want to invest much more time into it as it'll be wasted. We at least know which mobs to target and which skills/talents to unlock as priorities when the game does launch.
  • psychicwarspsychicwars Member UncommonPosts: 12
    I'm afraid your choices pretty much boil down to Runequest, Ultima or Albion. If you're unhappy with those choices... well it's time to get in to game development!
    inferno89