Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO is King ?

OG_SolareusOG_Solareus Member RarePosts: 1,041
edited November 2022 in Elder Scrolls Online
SO I've dived into the game once again and coming to the conclusion this is probably the most complete mmorpg on the market as theme parks go. Theme park have come along way and ESO is imho the most complete ride available.

What has me posting about ESO today. The armor stats, are insane now. Now the synergy in armor is a new game with it's self with what feels like 1000's of different ways to tune your character. The armory effects have come a long way since the last time I played.

KaBoom !

One of the most breakthrough items imho is the antiquitiy items. They are single peices of gear that give massive stat boosts with some having a penalty for a massive boost.. Not only is Antiquity gear an amazing step in the right the direction, it is also takes effort to get it. The Antiquity system is ridiculously fun. It's kind of like a candy crush mini game with a neat archological dig game. It's like being Indiana Jones in a game :D .

Not only is Antiquities important, it also a great monetization scheme where a player will need to decide, "do I want this item bad enough to sub ?" because some antiquities are incorporated into skill line level like Dark Brotherhood get the fragment needed to find 1 of the 5 artifacts to create the item.

I'm also loving th companion system, it adds a nice  touch to traveling the game world solo. Their little remarks are funny, sometimes ;)

Graphically, the game is so impressive and runs at max frames, max settings on an Ryzen 3600 with a rx6600. The game runs so smooth with 0 hitching lag or annoying hiccups that some games you put over 500 dollars in have. ESO is the smoothest mmorpg I've ever played and shows what real talented engineers can accomplish.

If I have to pick "The" theme Park adventure of all time, ESO all the way :)

SensaiScotmcrippins

Comments

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    I enjoy the game quite a bit but doubt most will agree with your declaration. I think it more likely that FFXIV would instead be seen so in comparison.
    Hengist
  • OG_SolareusOG_Solareus Member RarePosts: 1,041
    I enjoy the game quite a bit but doubt most will agree with your declaration. I think it more likely that FFXIV would instead be seen so in comparison.

FFXIV imho is way more linear then ESO. ESO you can go anywhere and do the content, FFXIV sticks to the old tradition level based content, which imho is not very Kingly :)

FFXIV imho is way more linear then ESO. ESO you can go anywhere and do the content, FFXIV sticks to the old tradition level based content, which imho is not very Kingly :)

The freedom of ESO comes with a cost. Yes, you can go anywhere, anywhen. Good luck having a story that makes much in the way of sense without consulting out of game guides as to the proper order of content to have a coherent story.

The majority of theme park MMORPGs are linear and that hasn't been an issue generally. Rather, many players coming to ESO find the lack of structure impairs their enjoyment instead of enhancing it.
    OG_SolareusFrodoFraginsRoin
  • GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,428
    edited November 2022
    It is just a weird game to me. Never could get on the same wavelength with it. And I really wanted to, it is a well realized, beautiful game. But just odd to play. And it's not that it's an MMO. I never had that specific problem with any other MMO and I've played quite a few. And even recently. Neverwinter's quite enjoyable(class depending, ofc). So it's something about ESO that scratches me the wrong way.

But it could be the most feature complete, yes. Possibly only matched by WoW and FF XIV.

Edit: Speaking of the devil...

The freedom of ESO comes with a cost. Yes, you can go anywhere, anywhen. Good luck having a story that makes much in the way of sense without consulting out of game guides as to the proper order of content to have a coherent story.

The majority of theme park MMORPGs are linear and that hasn't been an issue generally. Rather, many players coming to ESO find the lack of structure impairs their enjoyment instead of enhancing it.

Completely agreed. I don't like Open World at best of times and here? Here it is an active detriment to me.
    OG_Solareus
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited November 2022

One of the most breakthrough items imho is the antiquitiy items. They are single peices of gear that give massive stat boosts with some having a penalty for a massive boost.. Not only is Antiquity gear an amazing step in the right the direction, it is also takes effort to get it. The Antiquity system is ridiculously fun. It's kind of like a candy crush mini game with a neat archological dig game. It's like being Indiana Jones in a game :D .

There is one specific Mythic item from Summerset, the Oakensoul ring, that is a game changer.

Like all Mythic items, it comes with positive and negative traits. The negative is that you can't bar-swap when it's equipped but the positive is that it buffs the living crap out of you with things that you would typically need to slot or use some skills to get leaving your one bar free to use active skills.

Before I stopped playing a couple of months ago I figured out a way to have about 10 different good builds for all my characters (except my healers) to play using just the one bar. That becomes habit-forming because it's such a simple rotation. It literally changed the way I played the game mechanically.

Good for you that the game clicked with you and you're enjoying it. Personally, I'm on a break but I'm sure I'll be back at some point since I've been playing it most of the time for 8 years now.
    Kyleranmcrippins
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    For me, the level scaling just absolutely ruined the game...I never felt any sense of accomplishment whatsoever.
    ashiru_1978SensaiFrodoFraginsRemaliMikeha
  • ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 818
    For me, the level scaling just absolutely ruined the game...I never felt any sense of accomplishment whatsoever.
    Same for me. I started playing ESO in 2015 and I had much fun, because the gameplay was challenging and I died a lot when I overestimated myself. I had to learn how much to pull and many other things. The combat back then felt better too.

Level scaling made the game playable to the whales, who are the main source of income for the game - a bunch of "gamers", whose first game is the POS Skyrim, they are really incompetent as players and kept screeching on the forums for ZOS to make ESO easier for them because they are noobs. 

This made the game brain-dead easy and the noobs love it, because they no longer feel like the incompetent imbeciles they really are. The sad thing is this ruined the game for everyone else. I paid money for this game and bought some chapters and DLCs so I have the right to be pissed off that a bunch of idiots ruined the game for me and I can no longer play it because I don't get any enjoyment out of it.

Also ESO's community is very toxic with a herd mentality. The same noobs are the majority and the game revolves around them, if you suggest something that would make the game more challenging, they come down on you and barrage your thread with their autistic replies which are borderline passive aggressive. If you try to say something to defend yourself or your suggestions, you get reported and you get either warned or temporarily banned, but those people never face any consequences, because they are the bread earners for the game and the staff favors them and always takes their side.

ESO for me is dead. Not only because of the reasons stated above, but because the updates released in the past 3-4 years have been also garbage. ZOS are beating around the bush with their "content" updates. They will milk the stupid Skyrim as much as possible, release one tiny island that's the 1/10th the size of a normal zone from the base game and call that trash "chapter", the DLCs are also insignificant.

ESO is on life support at this point, on the indoctrinated fanboys don't see it.
    KyleranOG_Solareus
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Amazing how often people think because they don't like a game anymore it must be crap and no one else could possibly be enjoying it.

;)
    IselinOG_SolareusGrymmoireashiru_1978mcrippins

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Amazing how often people think because they don't like a game anymore it must be crap and no one else could possibly be enjoying it.

;)

Well, people are free to enjoy whatever, it's when it becomes unreasonable that I have trouble understanding it. I'll give you an example: You have 2 skills:

A: 100 damage, 0,7s cast, 0 cd
    B: 200 damage, 1s cast, 0 cd

Who in their right mind would choose option A(and most importantly, WHY)? Of course, we need to look more widely, but still... A would surely need a buff of sorts from the presented data, no?
    Brainy
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Gorwe said:
    Kyleran said:

;)

Well, people are free to enjoy whatever, it's when it becomes unreasonable that I have trouble understanding it. I'll give you an example: You have 2 skills:

Who in their right mind would choose option A(and most importantly, WHY)? Of course, we need to look more widely, but still... A would surely need a buff of sorts from the presented data, no?
    Depends, is skill A the light attack? If so proper weaving can greatly increase overall damage output and might give the nod to A.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited November 2022
    Kyleran said:
    Gorwe said:
    Kyleran said:

;)

Depends, is skill A the light attack? If so proper weaving can greatly increase overall damage output and might give the nod to A.

Both are the same type of attack and it's a 100% theoretical question. Nothing except speed and damage is different. That was what that example was supposed to be.

But yeah, it always depends on a lot of things. Even then, picking some choices is O_o really? Why? Maybe aesthetics or something personal?
  • halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535

This. 100%. 

The story makes no sense now, and I don't understand why they refuse to fix it. As a new player who has tried multiple times to get into ESO, it's practically impossible without following an outsourced guide to make sense of the story.

So it boils down to it being an RPG without the Roleplaying. The only thing it is, is an MMO at this point. A time sink. I have no attachment to any character, it just feels like going through the normal MMO motions and that's just a part time job I have no dedication to.

FF14 does this well. So well, in fact, that people just sub to go through the new story bits from time to time. 
    A lot of people in the base game will generally have the same story line and travel path since all of the DLC starting pionts.  SO the people saying the story is all messed, must've played the game and bought xpacs or chapters ?

Even if you feel the story is  "messed" when you finish a comepleted faction, you will head to another factions starting point to gain more champion points.

The tradition paths exist, but o my forgive them for not being linear, you know like Star Wars 4 5 6  , 1 2 3 , 7 8 9 o wait xD.

Having choices in mmorpgs, suddenly a bad thing, the irony of this genre..
    Same for me.

Level scaling made the game playable to the whales, who are the main source of income for the game - a bunch of "gamers", whose first game is the POS Skyrim,

This made the game brain-dead easy and the noobs love it, because they no longer feel like the incompetent imbeciles they really are.

Also ESO's community is very toxic with a herd mentality.
    ESO for me is dead.

ESO is on life support at this point, on the indoctrinated fanboys don't see it.

Think someone got offended at "talented Engineers" because this post is so generic and not even remotely close to what ESO is ... xD
    ashiru_1978
    edited November 2022
    I also love that I don't have to follow a path anymore, because I'm playing my story . Right now my story is a new character leveling Antiquities and not even bothering with base leveling :)

Because when I hit Master Antiquities I will grind for ...
    Gaze of Sithis
    Mythic Item
    1 item: Adds 3276 Maximum Health
    1 item: Adds 1025 Health Recovery
    1 item: Adds 4000 Armor
    1 item: Reduces your Block Mitigation to 0

who needs block ;)
    Sensai
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    This has to be a sponsored thread.
    halfmysticBrainyFrodoFraginsHengistRoin
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535
    Tiller said:
    This has to be a sponsored thread.
    It does feel like that, it's a little weird.
    FrodoFraginsTiller
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    King of what? Boring combat? PvP?
    Sensai

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

Tokken said:

The PVP is a lot of fun , almost everyday there is a new imba build laying waste :D
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    Tokken said:

The PVP is a lot of fun , almost everyday there is a new imba build laying waste :D
    does PvP still has combat balance issues?

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

edited November 2022
    Tokken said:
    Tokken said:

does PvP still has combat balance issues?

only for people who can't come up with a good build. Plenty of guides on youtube on creating a base build to work off for a players play style. For the best  battlegrounds in before lvl 50 champion battleggrounds as that is the most balanced.

Once you hot lvl 50, really need to focus on what your build is doing and not try to be a every thing utility build, those get evaporated instantly. Understanding the armor set bonuses are pinnacle to maximizing your characters performance.
    Post edited by OG_Solareus on
    Tokken
  • BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    I played ESO many years ago.  It was fun at the time, but the trend was making the game content extremely easy mode.  I went back a year later, and it was even easier.  I can only imagine how easy the game is now.

I think there are people that like when a game gets nerfed continually.  It makes some people think they are actually progressing and getting better, when its just the game has been nerfed to oblivion.
    Kyleran said:

;)

It is amazingly common.
  • RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    I played ESO at launch and enjoyed my time
    I would never go back tho because I dislike the level sync the game has now

This. 100%. 

The story makes no sense now, and I don't understand why they refuse to fix it. As a new player who has tried multiple times to get into ESO, it's practically impossible without following an outsourced guide to make sense of the story.

So it boils down to it being an RPG without the Roleplaying. The only thing it is, is an MMO at this point. A time sink. I have no attachment to any character, it just feels like going through the normal MMO motions and that's just a part time job I have no dedication to.

FF14 does this well. So well, in fact, that people just sub to go through the new story bits from time to time. 

For something to be fixed it must first be broken. They ability to play where you want in the game when you want regardless of story order is their intended design.

What I am hoping is that someday they will decide to add the option to play through content in story order, selected during character creation. Then both those that want the freedom and those that want story fluidity will both be satisfied without the latter having to bother with external guides to enjoy content in the manner they prefer.

Role-playing is not a MMORPG function. It is entirely player based and driven, whether with others or on your own. If you want that and the character attachment that comes along with you'll have to do it yourself by either finding others to role-play with or playing your character in line with what you feel they would do even if you as the player know that choice is sub-optimal.
    Brainy