Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon Rise of the Fallen's Latest Video Talks 2022 In Review, Pre-Alpha Plans | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited November 2022 in Videos Discussion

imagePantheon Rise of the Fallen's Latest Video Talks 2022 In Review, Pre-Alpha Plans | MMORPG.com

Pantheon Rise of the Fallen is looking back on 2022 while we're still in November, giving a retrospective on the year that still currently is. However, the team is looking at all they've done this year in a new video, as well as touching on the subject of pre-alpha.

Read the full story here

Comments

• slowz2secretslowz2secret Member RarePosts: 407
    is not this game a scam?
    Mallyx
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    is not this game a scam?
    Is it? How so?
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • elfdragon21elfdragon21 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    edited November 2022
    I hope I can stream it at my retirement party. Well, it will probably still be in prealpha. Maybe it will be out in time for my 80th birthday. I can stream it at my nursing home.
  • elfdragon21elfdragon21 Member UncommonPosts: 47

is not this game a scam?

It's not a scam, but it's not going to be released anytime soon. The people that want to play this type of old school game might be dead or too old to care.
    SovrathTokkendragonlee66CalavryScotgastovski1MikehaBrainy
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Are we there yet?
    Mendeldragonlee66

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    is not this game a scam?
    Its getting pretty close to the definition of one to me.

I mean how many years does this get to keep going on without ever letting backers play it before it becomes a scam.  If you buy something that is supposed to be ready in a couple of years, then it goes on for 15 years and you still cant play it, and cant get a refund.  The vast majority of backers are either Alpha or Beta.  For the last few years they say the game will be ready for Alpha players yet keeps getting yearly delays over and over.  Its deceitful for sure, but not illegal unfortunately.

Some define scam as an illegal activity, which this game hasn't and probably wont cross over since it seems no matter what these companies do they are protected by the courts.
    slowz2secretgastovski1MallyxMikeha
  • RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    Plans for pre alpha... stay in pre alpha for another 5 years
    MendelMcSleazdragonlee66Calavrygastovski1
  • slowz2secretslowz2secret Member RarePosts: 407

Brainy said:

is not this game a scam?

I mean how many years does this get to keep going on without ever letting backers play it before it becomes a scam.  If you buy something that is supposed to be ready in a couple of years, then it goes on for 15 years and you still cant play it, and cant get a refund.  The vast majority of backers are either Alpha or Beta.  For the last few years they say the game will be ready for Alpha players yet keeps getting yearly delays over and over.  Its deceitful for sure, but not illegal unfortunately.

Some define scam as an illegal activity, which this game hasn't and probably wont cross over since it seems no matter what these companies do they are protected by the courts.

yes that's true, I saw on reddit people were talking about how this game is becoming a scam or something
    Mallyx
  • husscoolhusscool Member UncommonPosts: 77
    How I understood this update: Thank you for participating in pre-pre alphas before the pre-alpha's pre-alpha followed by the real pre-alpha.

MendelBrainy
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I am not excited about any streamer's video of a pre-alpha test, nor am I interested in a 500 person stress test (that indicated they still have lots of network work to do).  I would much rather see a finished game.  Everquest 1 is believed to have taken 4-5 years of development; these games attempting to replicate the EQ1 style, like Pantheon, have already taken about twice as long, with no end in sight.

Take a queue from Embers Adrift and release it.  And take the criticism you've earned for a half-baked game.

Goes to take medication.

BrainyMallyx

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• giantessfangiantessfan Member UncommonPosts: 185
    As someone who is an Alpha backer I feel like I am never going to be able to play this game... Hopefully Ashes goes into Alpha soon so I can play one of the two games I backed at least
    CalavryPr0tag0ni5t
  • CalavryCalavry Member UncommonPosts: 113
    edited November 2022

As someone who is an Alpha backer I feel like I am never going to be able to play this game... Hopefully Ashes goes into Alpha soon so I can play one of the two games I backed at least

Alpha backer as well. I was amused when they added in pre-alpha, in my opinion to extract more money.
    Brainy
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

is not this game a scam?

It's not a scam, but it's not going to be released anytime soon. The people that want to play this type of old school game might be dead or too old to care.

What I liked here was that some of us laughed and others agreed. :D
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Scot said:

is not this game a scam?

What I liked here was that some of us laughed and others agreed. :D
    Collectively all of these indie MMORPGS deserve a resounding WTF regarding their progress, or lack thereof.

MendelBrainyScot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• giantessfangiantessfan Member UncommonPosts: 185
    Funny thing is I don't think many Kickstarter MMO's or crowdfunded MMO's are scams. I just think that most of the time these teams underestimate the time and money it takes to make one of these things.

I mean Pantheon has a pretty small dev team and very limited resources to spend I am sure. Does that make it a scam? I don't think so. I think most of these Kickstarter, crowdfunded MMO's were made in good faith.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I think what alot of these companies have is ideas...Now making those ideas into a game is often an issue.....
    Mendel
  • budzibudzi Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Latest update...working on X/Y axis in the water .....lolol what a waste.
    edited November 2022

Brainy said:

is not this game a scam?

The california courts are pretty severe about this. Someone should start suing them aka a lawyer that knows what he's doing. Like they did for CoE
    I believe that the streams from Pantheon's devs are simple actors. Feels like a CoE Scam but more advanced...
  • BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    budzi said:

The california courts are pretty severe about this. Someone should start suing them aka a lawyer that knows what he's doing. Like they did for CoE
    Didn't COE get away with it?  Seems like getting a lawyer is a waste of time if the courts are just going to throw them all out.
    Mendel
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    It will be 9 years this coming Jan and they are only talking pre-alpha, c'mon. They must have the most laxed work schedule ever. I mean your 2022 year review still showing sketch art ffs, if this isnt the worst self-own idk what is.
    BrainyMendel
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    budzi said:

Brainy said:

is not this game a scam?

The California courts seem to be pretty lax about refund policies, if the CoE case is any indication.  Now, if a lawyer decided to approach this from a consumer rights perspective, who knows?  The people who were fleeced (flimflammed) by CoE just wanted their money back, so they went after some TOS statements guaranteeing refunds.  What about delivering a product for payment rendered?  Or even just proof of work and a financial audit for money received?  That $8 million had to go somewhere.

(side note): Does anyone else wonder if Walsh has applied for the $25,000 per worker tax refund I see advertised on the TV?

Brainy

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    edited November 2022
    It will be 9 years this coming Jan and they are only talking pre-alpha, c'mon. They must have the most laxed work schedule ever. I mean your 2022 year review still showing sketch art ffs, if this isnt the worst self-own idk what is.
    Well, again, and even though I don't think this will launch, it's not like they started and have been steadily toiling for 9 years.

They had a failed kickstarter, decided to solicit donations anyway so they could still go ahead with it, had a large turnover of employees/new team, the head of the project died, they then reassessed and adopted all new tools because the way they were putting this together wasn't using best practices (from a layman's point of view) and finally embarked on what seems to be a more steady development, albeit having money problems.

KyleranMendelcheyane
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Mendel said:
    budzi said:

Brainy said:

is not this game a scam?

The California courts seem to be pretty lax about refund policies, if the CoE case is any indication.  Now, if a lawyer decided to approach this from a consumer rights perspective, who knows?  The people who were fleeced (flimflammed) by CoE just wanted their money back, so they went after some TOS statements guaranteeing refunds.  What about delivering a product for payment rendered?  Or even just proof of work and a financial audit for money received?  That $8 million had to go somewhere.

(side note): Does anyone else wonder if Walsh has applied for the $25,000 per worker tax refund I see advertised on the TV?

Well, in all fairness, if a company sells you something, or accepts a donation as it were with a clearly written no refunds policy it's doubtful any court will intervene, customers need to be careful what they sign

If I don't get into heaven, no way is my church giving any of my tithe money back.

;)
    Babuinix

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon