Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan is a run away train

I have been following several titles under developement, AoC is really starting to stand out from the crowd and the coverage and interest at E3 is encouraging.

It's nice to see a liscence like Conan being used for something other than comic books, silly movies or pencil necks fantasies.

I fully expect the game being showcased as optimizing the Vista operating system aswell as Windows XP by Microsoft to further boost the games exposure throughout the summer.

By fall the mmorpg community should be in a feavored pitch and as seen with games like DnL lack of exposure can some times be deadly, atleast to games.

Comments

• ajaxxajaxx Member Posts: 476

Originally posted by rdrpappy

It's nice to see a liscence like Conan being used for something other than comic books, silly movies or pencil necks fantasies.

Hey now, don't be dissing comics!  I agree though, I think AoC will be a sleeper hit.
  • EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    /agreed as well
  • EsorllehEsorlleh Member Posts: 129

I haven't been paying attention to this game because.. the barbarian theme really doesn't appeal to me at all. BUT I realized today that it's being made by Funcom!

I would've preferred another Sci-fi MMO like AO :(
    but I still have high hopes for this game because I have a good impression of what that company is capable of.

MMO Fav List:
    Lineage 2 | 5x Silver Ranger, 7x Shillien Elder <- Active
    WoW | 6x Rogue, 1x Priest
    Anarchy Online | 8x MetaPhysicist
    Saga of Ryzom | Matis Light Armourer

Waiting for: Age of Conan, Lineage 3

• XeniusXenius Member Posts: 25
    like 5 new movies out during e3 :) mostly gameplay vids. :) from what ive seen, Riding and City building is on my OMG list. and well i guess Siege weapon killing a formation of goons is also on my list ! It looks so lovely!

Fish of tommorow

• WoodenDummyWoodenDummy Member Posts: 208

Originally posted by Esorlleh

I haven't been paying attention to this game because.. the barbarian theme really doesn't appeal to me at all. BUT I realized today that it's being made by Funcom!
    but I still have high hopes for this game because I have a good impression of what that company is capable of.

Conan really has very little to do with the barbarian theme in the way you're probably thinking it does.  Although Conan was a barbarian, he was no mindless thug running around swinging an axe, he was just about the greatest swordsman of his time and a master General on the battlefield, the films never really managed to get that part of Conan right I always felt.  The books are quiet different.

So I wouldn't worry about that putting you off.

• cheggelundcheggelund Member UncommonPosts: 91

Yupp, this game is based on the book, not the movie.

Also, it looks very in depth. City buulding, PvP, deep storyline, crafting, the list goes on :)

I think that AoC is a very different game than WoW, and it will attract a different crowd. While IMHO it won't sell as many copies as WoW, AoC will be VERY successful!

-Chegg

• WoodenDummyWoodenDummy Member Posts: 208

Originally posted by cheggelund

I think that AoC is a very different game than WoW, and it will attract a different crowd. While IMHO it won't sell as many copies as WoW, AoC will be VERY successful!
    -Chegg

I know companies want MMORPGs to make as much money as possible but a big part of me hopes that AoC doesn't bring in WoW numbers.

A big part of me leaving WoW was the player base, and I can't help but feel that some of companies trying for that next big WoW clone (or even trying to make existing games more like WoW, SoE...) missed the reason why WoW was so big.  WoW is massive because it's Warcraft not because it's a MMORPG and a massive number of people who play it had never looked at an MMO before and came over because of battle.net and word of mouth.

I want something more from my MMORPGs than grinding the same instances over and over again for some random drop, I'd like to feel that the RPG part of the title isn't dead and gone.

I hope that AoC and WAR go some way to helping me out! :)

• thatolchestnthatolchestn Member Posts: 31
    Devs already said they arent aiming to please everyone and water down AoC for the numbers like WoW. That said they expect their game to stand quite well on its own two feet.
  • EsorllehEsorlleh Member Posts: 129

Originally posted by WoodenDummy

Originally posted by Esorlleh

Conan really has very little to do with the barbarian theme in the way you're probably thinking it does.  Although Conan was a barbarian, he was no mindless thug running around swinging an axe, he was just about the greatest swordsman of his time and a master General on the battlefield, the films never really managed to get that part of Conan right I always felt.  The books are quiet different.

:) that's good to know.. I can't say I'm too familiar with any of the lore at all. In my mind I equate Conan with He-man somehow ~_~
    Doesn't matter anyhow. Good game mechanics always win over any theme or lore for me.

MMO Fav List:
    Lineage 2 | 5x Silver Ranger, 7x Shillien Elder <- Active
    WoW | 6x Rogue, 1x Priest
    Anarchy Online | 8x MetaPhysicist
    Saga of Ryzom | Matis Light Armourer

Waiting for: Age of Conan, Lineage 3

• rdrpappyrdrpappy Member Posts: 325

At the AoC website there are links to several new videos and interviews that show the mounted combat, formation fighting, city building and siege warfare.

Nothing else I've seen out of E3 in the mmorpg catagory looks as well put together as this title for an 06 release.

Warhammer, CoS, LotR online and several other titles look good but these guys at Funcom are getting it done with this Conan title.

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221

Conan was a thief. He was an assassin once or twice too, although he did have an honor-code of sort. But he was stealing things (for profit or not), robbing graves, finding treasures, killing/assassinating monsters/evil guys... But he wasnt mindless for sure. He WAS a barbarian, a clever, super strong, smart barbarian.

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

Originally posted by jimmyman99

Conan was a thief. He was an assassin once or twice too, although he did have an honor-code of sort. But he was stealing things (for profit or not), robbing graves, finding treasures, killing/assassinating monsters/evil guys... But he wasnt mindless for sure. He WAS a barbarian, a clever, super strong, smart barbarian.

He was also a pirate and pretty damn good with the ladies
  • wjrasmussenwjrasmussen Member Posts: 1,493

Originally posted by ajaxx

Loved "The Queen of the Black Coast" with Belit.  Fun story!!!
  • jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221

DOH, how could I forget to mention that?

In every city, it seems, there was a lady who was dreaming about him. And, being trully a barbarian, it did not matter to him whether she was rich or poor, whether she was a princess or a peasant... or even a prostitute hehe

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

• CymekCymek Member Posts: 340

Originally posted by rdrpappy
    I have been following several titles under developement, AoC is really starting to stand out from the crowd and the coverage and interest at E3 is encouraging.
    It's nice to see a liscence like Conan being used for something other than comic books, silly movies or pencil necks fantasies.
    I fully expect the game being showcased as optimizing the Vista operating system aswell as Windows XP by Microsoft to further boost the games exposure throughout the summer.
    By fall the mmorpg community should be in a feavored pitch and as seen with games like DnL lack of exposure can some times be deadly, atleast to games.

Yep, been keeping my eye on this one and Spellborn.....hopefully one of these will be my MMO home...been homeless since SWG fiasco.

• Vin79Vin79 Member Posts: 112

AoC will have guildbased massive PvP, mounted PvP, formation combat, Player cities, PvP wars and beheading

Oh yes Baby this game looks awsome!

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

DOH, how could I forget to mention that?

In every city, it seems, there was a lady who was dreaming about him. And, being trully a barbarian, it did not matter to him whether she was rich or poor, whether she was a princess or a peasant... or even a prostitute hehe

Sounds like a great guy, can't wait to sta... I mean, uh, meet him

Besides that. I'm looking forward to seeing more of what AoC will bring to the table. I also think it may be on that cusp and the road to a great game, or at least, I'm hoping.

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

Originally posted by thatolchestn
    Devs already said they arent aiming to please everyone and water down AoC for the numbers like WoW. That said they expect their game to stand quite well on its own two feet.

They also intend to keep this game Rated M, for mature !!

The game is not being marketed towards children.  This will be a game intrested individuals play that are seeking an indepth and engrossing experiance.  The grapihcs are still pre-fab and there should be some heavy advancements made once the engine is completely utilized for Dx10 and Vista.

Too bad I have no plans on using Vista and a Dx10 card for another 2-3 years...

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Im excited about using the first 20 levels as a way to get used to the game and then having the option to play online or go online (and still hopefully have the option to play in groups versus solo). Im a little nervous there wont be enough solo content when online. Sometimes I like to group and sometimes I dont. Just depends on my mood, the party I am in, and how much time I have.

There Is Always Hope!

• ToadmonkeyToadmonkey Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Is this game going to be mainly a PVP game?

• DeletedAcctDeletedAcct Member Posts: 883

Originally posted by mindspat

Originally posted by thatolchestn

They also intend to keep this game Rated M, for mature !!

The game is not being marketed towards children.  This will be a game intrested individuals play that are seeking an indepth and engrossing experiance.  The grapihcs are still pre-fab and there should be some heavy advancements made once the engine is completely utilized for Dx10 and Vista.

Too bad I have no plans on using Vista and a Dx10 card for another 2-3 years...

You'll be able to play without DX10. They will use a wrapper on the drivers to support DX9.

Originally posted by Toadmonkey
    Is this game going to be mainly a PVP game?

No, there will be lots of pve and different server types.  The pve is based on the darker REH works and Darkhorse comics.  It should be pretty cool
  • BountyGregBountyGreg Member Posts: 37
    At the same time, if you go only PvE, you'll be bored after you reach max level, that's what happen in all games, at least for me. So, I just join PvP servers, wanna be sure to have some fellow players to kill :D

• Fenrir767Fenrir767 Member Posts: 595
    The end game seems to be much more PvP oriented than PvE for the reason that a PvP oriented end game is quite dynamic and always changing.

• gonen94gonen94 Member Posts: 35
    hope to pve will be good...