Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVGA terminates partnership with Nvidia

BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 567
As per GN video:

Does EVGA intend to return to Nvidia [in future]? EVGA: No. Completely stop.

The video shows an interesting take from the company on their Nvidia collaboration...

Q: It must have been hard for you to take this step.
A: This? This was easy. Working with Nvidia was hard.

They are now stopping all their video cards involvement. After the current stock clears, that's it for their video cards line.

(also, the forum could use more polls)

Moar polls
  1. Fan of EVGA?5 votes
    1. Fan
      60.00%
    2. Not a fan
      20.00%
    3. Whatever
      20.00%

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited September 2022
    It's sad to see one less GPU maker, but I think there are enough companies making different GPU models that it won't really matter. For example there are more than a thousand different RTX 3000 -models listed on techpowerup.com. 
    Ridelynn

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    edited September 2022
    They had some decent cards and good guarantees that were transferable when buying used now there's what? only msi that does so?  My guess is with  the crypto bubble popping they are unhappy about the inflated pricing crashing when it comes to gpu's.  It is just starting I think and we can see more drops in pricing me thinks.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    Dang I always trusted EVGA to put out quality gpus.  Their 2080ti is sitting in my rig right now.  Thats a bummer im sure their gpu line was a decent share of their business.
    [Deleted User]
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    All Amazon's fault with their New World and exploding cards. :D
    Groqstrong
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 567
    edited September 2022
    Asm0deus said:
    They had some decent cards and good guarantees that were transferable when buying used now there's what? only msi that does so?  My guess is with  the crypto bubble popping they are unhappy about the inflated pricing crashing when it comes to gpu's.  It is just starting I think and we can see more drops in pricing me thinks.

From what was said in the video, it appears to be a combination of that (prices) and EVGA leadership just being fed up with Nvidia and how they treated them (and other board partners).

With the huge crypto crash, GPU prices dropping down, tons more cards about to flood the market with the latest ETH news, new GPU generation (probably at inflated prices) just around the corner, and lots of the 30xx generation still in stock, Nvidia undermining their partners through its own pricing policy and board integration and sales - I guess the CEO of EVGA just thought to himself it's no longer worth it.

Dang I always trusted EVGA to put out quality gpus.  Their 2080ti is sitting in my rig right now.  Thats a bummer im sure their gpu line was a decent share of their business.

Almost 80% of revenue, but much less in terms of profit margin, as mentioned by Steve in the video. In the 30xx generation, apparently the flagship cards were currently straight losses (in hundreds of $ per card); 3060 and similar mid- low-range models are profitable.

KyleranAsm0deusGroqstrong
    Tiller said:
    All Amazon's fault with their New World and exploding cards. :D

If memory serves, they did address it and in a good way, no? 

What I personally found very surprising in the video is that apparently the entire EVGA business runs with 280 employees.

Considering the highly complex operation they are running - design and manufacture of top IT products, global logistics, customer care, etc. - with millions of units made and sold each generation, I find it pretty amazing. Even though they have lots of partners and contractors, it still is quite impressive.

• EVGA will not carry the next generation graphics cards.
    • EVGA will continue to support the existing current generation products.
    • EVGA will continue to provide the current generation products.
    EVGA is committed to our customers and will continue to offer sales and support on the current lineup. Also, EVGA would like to say thank you to our great community for the many years of support and enthusiasm for EVGA graphics cards.

EVGA Management

BrotherMaynard

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846
    edited September 2022
    Yeah, of course nVidia is going to be tough to deal with, they have 80% of the market.

When you have that market dominance you can do whatever you want.

(Well, except go into CPUs)
    Ridelynn
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    edited September 2022
    Nvidia has always made itself into a nuisance to deal with.  That's why Apple used exclusively AMD discrete GPUs for the last several years that they used discrete GPUs at all, even though Nvidia had clearly superior products for much of that time.  That's why none of the console vendors have ever used Nvidia for more than one generation of consoles.  And Nintendo wasn't willing to use Nvidia for anything beyond using a completely off the shelf chip that Nvidia had already launched, as opposed to the heavily customized AMD chips in recent generations of Sony and Microsoft consoles.
    Ridelynn
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Nvidia undercutting them in prices is pretty messed up.  It would take a few companies abandoning them to have an impact sadly.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Nvidia's monopoly has to end for things to improve.

edited September 2022
    I'm using one of their cards right now, sad news. I can't see this being a good idea for them.
    RIP EVGA, I guess its time to be an ASUS fanboy
    Same here, EVGA GTX 1660 that I had to buy 3 years ago when my previous card died. The naïve me thought it would be for just one year until a new generation arrives and then I'd buy a new one  :D

It's been working great though, so can't complain. EVGA being Nvidia exclusive for decades and now just dropping the whole thing for being fed up with Huang and his treatment of board vendors is huge.

[Deleted User]
    The story ain't over...

So - more focus on motherboards in the future? (in addition to the PSUs). MBs' prices certainly have jumped 1 or 2 % (or a hundred) recently, could be a good avenue for EVGA to refocus its operations.

edited November 2022
    Want to see what a EVGA RTX 4090 would have looked like, well here you go they sent a working one to JayzTwoCents!

GamerNexus also got one:

silkofdBrotherMaynard