Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Place (If Any) Should Sex Have in MMORPGs? | One Good Roll | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited November 2022 in News & Features Discussion

imageWhat Place (If Any) Should Sex Have in MMORPGs? | One Good Roll | MMORPG.com

It's no secret that sex sells, and in the peculiar, over sensationalized depths of game development, where jiggle physics and unrealistic bodies are king, MMORPG's teeter into a realm unlike more explicit games like Grand Theft Auto and Cyberpunk 2077. As online games attempt to focus on novel experiences, what role, if any should sex have in MMORPGs?

Read the full story here

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited November 2022
    More please! I don't know if "One good roll" could mean the same in the US as it does in the UK, but these things happen in articles. :)

Seriously, the only thing that concerns me is the scanty glad preteens we get in far eastern games, apart from that I don't see an issue. Can I actually suggest doing something yourself instead of just reporting if you get harassed in a game? Turn the game off, by all means report it, but you don't have to have an experience you don't like.
    ZenJellyaxtrantiValentinaBakgrindMcSleazAndemnon
  • AngrakhanAngrakhan Member EpicPosts: 1,172
    As online games attempt to focus on novel experiences, what role, if any should sex have in MMORPGs?

None. Why? Kids and sexual predators. Put the two together in an online world with anonymity and you're asking for trouble. Add a game that allows actual depiction of sex, and the "grooming" gets that much easier for the predator.

While we're at it stop sexualizing children in MMOs. No one is fooled by saying they're some "ancient race that ages slowly". Bullshit. You're creating an online playground for pedophiles. Stop.
    ScotSlapshot1188ZenJellyElvocHiromantnate1980axtrantimarcjt20KataalAeanderand 9 others.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    A lot of things that work well and can be done tastefully in single player games just don't translate well in multiplayer.

Multiplayer games have shown that anything that can be perverted or used to grief, harass or abuse others will be used that way by a sizeable enough portion of the player base to become a problem.

Even something as simple as the crouch animation in ESO when you go into stealth is routinely used by some PvPers there to "Teabag" players just killed by repeatedly crouching and standing over their corpse.

Adding romance and/or sexual acts to the mix is just adding more griefing, harassment and abuse possibilities to the asshat's arsenal.
    QuizzicalZenJelly
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Veexer_NuiVeexer_Nui Member UncommonPosts: 268
    If you want your game to be one of the top 'grossing' most successful games, it needs sex appeal.

Take a look at the number 1 selling mobile game, Genshin Impact. $1 Billion revenue in 6 months, $3 billion in 2 years.

Take a look at Fortnite, the most sold and most used skin 'Chun-Li' for a reason.

Take a look at League of Legends lewd skins for every female champion.

Compare Final Fantasy 14 2.49 million active players, to World of Warcraft's 2.19 million. (and WoW is dropping fast).

Like it or not, sex sells.
    ZenJellystrawhat0981Andemnonjjrose9876

Archeage EU - Nui

• LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 543
    Absolute zero. In many cases it just ruins any kind of immersion (imagine entering throne room, where Aragor and Arwen tries some exotic pose...or even threesome). It is already enough we have bikini armour in mmos, we can call our toon in almost every way possible.
    Just keep intimacy where it belongs - to bedroom. Intimacy, politics, religion - all of it should stay out of mmo. Because none of it typically brings any good.
    ZenJellyElvocHiromantjjrose9876
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Look. If some games want "sex" then fine. Just make sure it's sold to adults.

For me, it's silly. But not all games have to be tailored to me personally.
    ZenJellySovrathLackingMMOAndemnonjjrose9876

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    The vulgarity of the west never ceases to amaze me.
    ZenJellyeoloeKidRiskKyleranPanther2103IceAgestrawhat0981EldrachScotAsm0deusand 5 others.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• wizzurahwizzurah Member UncommonPosts: 20
    As monsters or in PVP I won't as I do not like to cut half nice melons and won't explode silicone into my face.
    On the other hand, having Luna Star as a pet or companion sounds good.
    If we want sexism in the game, best to ask to do it Blizzard or Riot as they have experience and practice all time in their offices.
    Few games have a marriage option. You can make an update on that like cheating, or making a threesome. I can see dungeons in front of me called Sex Cave.
    Cinematics or intros between quests. I was always curious to see a romance between Tyrael and Leah under BBC title or between The Lich King and Sylvanas.

Overall, my short answer if I want sex in a game: NO.
    JHLotBjjrose9876
  • eoloeeoloe Member RarePosts: 864

Spiider said:

Compared to?
    maskedweaselmcrippinsSovrathHariken
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    If you're going to have sex in a game, then you'd better make sure that it's instanced only, or else it's going to constantly be shoved in the face of people who don't want to see it.  The only real exception is if a game is primarily about sex.
    KyleranSovrathAndemnonJHLotBjjrose9876
  • RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 808
    edited November 2022
    Sex in a game has a place if it services the story, not if it's fan service. When it comes to MMOs though, I don't think it has a place in these types of games at all. There's already a serious problem present in MMOs where you have tons of people coming together from all age groups, from 13-14 year olds to 60+ year olds.

FFXIV has a serious ERP problem as well, the community within that game, is seemingly filled with a ton of undersexed 20-30 something's or older who don't ask many questions when it comes time to visit those ERP brothels, etc. I was privy to conversations while being at one of those clubs as a "bouncer" IE: I got to stand around for 2-3 hours a night, and I was paid nearly 450,000 gil. I'd often sit there and work in photoshop or write on my second monitor, while rarely sending a message asking someone to please put up their mini-pet as they came into the club. I think I was there for maybe two months time, and within that relatively short frame, there were numerous accusations levied at one of the users who worked there because he was actively grooming a 15-year-old when he was 29-30. He was eventually removed because posted evidence was brought forward in the form of discord messages, screenshots from another game, etc. However, there were STILL people who attempted to normalize his behavior and use his being removed as a moment to martyr themselves for their "friend" who had displayed disgusting behavior.

There's also ZERO way for any of these communities to check the ages of the people coming in there. So explicit sexual content can 100% occur where a minor is involved and no one would ever be the wiser. This included the discord itself, the venue, etc. FFXIV is a weird community, for as good a reputation as it gets, people really need to see the dark side of all of that. It's not nearly as pleasant or as happy as people seem to think it is. It's fairly dark and cringe-inducing. Predation and danger I think is very present within that community, especially because of the anime aspect. You can only watch girls who look like they're 10-13 be objectified and sexualized for so long before you start to think it's fine.

TLDR; No, MMOs don't need sexual space, experimentation or features. Players already do enough to ruin that, using these games as places to fetishize their characters and focus solely on sexual content, intended or not. Let them go onto Second Life or find an adult sex sim game to live out their fantasies. They should never be given the opportunity to pull others into that kind of space or even remotely close to players who might very well be minors.
    maskedweaselfinefluffmac6115cdKallendaljjrose9876
    I like to complain about games.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    I don't want it in my gaming. It reminds me of the sickos in the RW, and I don't want to think about it when I'm trying to relax and have some fun playing a game.
    jjrose9876

Once upon a time....

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    It should have no place whatsoever.
    None.  

mac6115cddragonlee66Sovrathjjrose9876

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited November 2022
    eoloe said:

Spiider said:

Compared to?
    Asian created anime and games which focus on child like avatars in sexual suggestive situations?

I mean, c'mon, you really want sh!t like this in MMOs? Certainly not I.

Scoteoloejjrose9876

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    If there is a market for it, it should be marketed to the individual player for their own personal experience. Keep it to single player. Putting it in an MMORPG where you are interacting with the community on the dailey just opens the door for toxicity on another level.

Some games did it right like Leisure Suit Larry, it was comedic romance and fit the game. In that setting you have fun with it but in an mmorpg, nah.
    KyleranSovrathjjrose9876

Kyleran said:

eoloe said:

Spiider said:

Compared to?

Asian created anime and games which focus on child like avatars in sexual suggestive situations?

I mean, c'mon, you really want sh!t like this in MMOs? Certainly not I.

So which one is the worst the west or the east?
    Back on topic, my best friend divorced a few years ago and says he has a blast on dedicated multiplayer sexual games. You know some equivalent of second life but more centered on the sexual aspect.
    I don't see a problem with that as long as people are adult.

Simply put adult games should be for adults.

One interesting aspect he mentioned is the fact that people have sometimes real relationships in this kind of games! Himself, he met some ladies IRL after dating them in the game. He also told me some cyberpunk-like stories like the one of that guy who fell in love with an African girl (real one not the avatar), but he is married in real life and can only meet the digital version of his new love. As you can bet, changing partner is frequent, but people get jealous! There is a lot of drama, catfish, etc.

He is currently writing a book about this experience.
    Kyleran
  • finnelhirfinnelhir Member UncommonPosts: 36
    SWTOR have sex, bdsm, threesomes and Force know whats more. Still TOP 5 mmorpg. Please Vette, hold my lash.
    AndemnonKallendal
    Dude..where is my booze? 
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    There is no place sex should or not have in MMORPGs but any place it could. The game need be rated according to the content within.

The nature of sexual content should also be specified so prospective players will know what is included so they can avoid that they find distasteful.
  • WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 495
    I always find it interesting the general social acceptance levels. Sex for many remains a taboo and unsavory topic yet most have no problem with the two most prevalent aspect of nearly every MMO, murder and theft. As players we go through the game from basically level 1 murdering people left and right. We loot every box and chest we find with zero thought of ownership. These two practices are so completely ingrained into our psyche that we barely give them a second thought and just expect them in any game experience. How is murdering another person and stealing completely alright yet having sex or suggestive content causes the pillars of the heavens to shake?

If one actually stopped to think about all the peasants, and farmers, and merchants we have killed in cold blood in our gaming careers it makes you wonder. Some games will try to mask it by using other races. Oh, it's a kobold, or a goblin or elf, that doesn't count. It is a sentient, intelligent, social race with families and livelihoods. We as players walk into the territories of other cultures and engage in mass genocide and never blink. But what if we fight only the footman, the guards, that's war isn't that ok? In the end the player is still killing, joyfully, purposefully, killing and then stealing the spoils. Yet being intimate with another person is going to destroy society.

Asking people if sex should be anywhere is a very easy, trigger ready topic. I think a greater topic of discussion is why we as a whole are so ready to accept one act most often associated with hate, aggression, and violence yet will balk completely at another generally more associated with closeness, intimacy, and love. Yes, there are exceptions and some will use the intimacy to prey on others in game. But again why is it accepted to expose ourselves and our children to people blowing their heads off and typing obscenities and death threats but sexual talk and acts are the true issue.

I personally believe that both have concerns yet both belong in MMOs as a more complete representation of a fictional world. Unless every species in your game reproduces through mitosis. It is our responsibility as mature humans to be responsible for our own actions and what affect we allow the actions of others to impact us. For those too young to make that decision, it falls to the parents to decide when that time is right. I have just always wondered about the parent that has no issue with Bobby stabbing a famer to death and clearing out their house but he saw a breast!? Get me CNN!!
    TalraekkSplattramithistKimo
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I dislike it.  If you're a parent with kids, your kids will watch you play games.  Things can get very awkward if games are too explicit.   I don't mind when a game is based off of being inappropriate, like Grand Theft Auto.  I can just avoid those.  It's when it's sneaky and mostly appropriate.  I've been playing a mobile game where you get extra currency for watching ads, and the adds are all for crazily sexualized little girls in games.  That is extremely disturbing to me.  I have no problem with x rated games aimed at an adult audience.  I have so much problem with games aimed at everyone with mostly naked hyper-sexualized little girls.  
    Scot
  • MyrradahMyrradah Member UncommonPosts: 102
    About as much as it belongs in Public schools, none, or if it is- be warned and have a ways to lock it out.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172

Spiider said:

If you think that's amazing check out the vulgarity of the east. You'll find the west quite tame in comparison, especially when it comes to North America.

Unless you're talking about vulgar graphic violence, in which case we are top tier competitors.
    eoloeIceAge