Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3.17 Opinions

Comments

• TheDalaiBombaTheDalaiBomba Member EpicPosts: 1,493
    MaxBacon said:
    Save yourself the headache and leave this poster to ramble by himself about a 10 year old, half a billion dollar tech demo.
    Yet as relevant as ever, being played by dozens of thousands daily all its issues included and it still is the main prospect of a current space sim MMO to be realized. Which is why all of this is noise and SC ends up reflecting the saying "the dogs bark as the caravan passes by".

The fact people have to bring up games that ain't even on the same genres to compare to SC just talks for itself.
    No, it doesn't, because half of those comparisons are fans trying to compare disparate development and/or titles to justify the current state of SC.
    [Deleted User]MaxBacon
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    edited October 2022
    No, it doesn't, because half of those comparisons are fans trying to compare disparate development and/or titles to justify the current state of SC.
    Well but those are not the comparations we're seeing here, what we see here is "haha SC look X Y game better/beats it", and this indeed where people are grabbing games on other genres or wildly different types of play to compare to SC like they were even direct competitors as the game they are to start with.

But whelp that's about the normal hyperbole for SC discussions.
    Hatefull
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Pigozz said:
    Hatefull said:
    Pigozz said:
    Hatefull said:
    Pigozz said:
    Hatefull said:
    So comparing a procedurly generated fully released (after many years of fixes) game to a game that is still in alpha...ok, cool story bro.

Comparing a game that took literally off-the-shelf tech to a game that is pioneering tech that will change the way games are made...ok, cool story bro.

Can you give examples? Because I play SC every fleefly and the only thing its pioneering is the insane amount of wasted resources on to create unplayable shitty shooter with 0 groundbreaking features

Now youre gonna start some mumbling about revolutionary server meshing that currently doesnt exist, its base layer got so bugged and messy on evocati they had to postpone its release and this all is just a terribly complicated fix to bad server architecture...because SC TOTALLY DOESNT use off-the-shelf tech like an outdated cry-engine and lumberyard extension because they were unable to extend the capabilities for multiplayer on their own..rofl

Meanwhile 20 guys managed to create their own engine capable of holding a literal galaxy where I can create complex bases filled with electricity grids,mining and proessing factories on any of the planets and any other player can visit those...something no other game have ever managed and something SC will definately NEVER manage ;)

So, your NMS argument is so old and tired. They did literally nothing but allow an algorithm flow that created their universe, it's literally math and while it is new to the gaming world, it is certainly not new to the world. So thanks for pointing out exactly how much you don't know about that game or SC. Also heavily instanced, uninspired ships, and it took 2 years before it was what anyone would consider done. A great example of cutting-edge tech. NOT!  lol

Im gonna answer only to this, because the rest was aologetic BS from a zealot of a non-working feature that should have been developed in year 0

I specifically pointed out that you can create bases other players can visit to future counter your stupid argument about "simple math" - it would be simple math if it was generated randomly per each person. Its not, the hash is so amazing and intertwinned with persistent data that it enables this kind of seamless transition between procedurally generated and created

I am a programmer and I know pretty much exactly what they did to achieve this without knowing the code, but the point, which you are unable to comprehend is the eye of the beholder:

Average joe doesnt give a fuck about what kind of tech was used to deliver a working experience

NMS works, SC doesnt. Simple as that
    LMAO - Ok, well first, I doubt very much you are a programmer, I mean beyond a basement Tetris clone type anyway.

2nd Ok, yes NMS works, I mean it took them 2 years post-launch to finally finish the game that, as you said, should have been done year 0 (loved that line, literally white-knighting for a failed launch, hilarious).

Anyway, I have made my point, whether you like it or not, SC is a far more comprehensive and in-depth project than NMS could ever evolve to. Yes, it has taken over a decade at this point and it may well take yet another decade to see this game fully realized, and this is where I question your "Programming" claim. 

I am not a programmer, not even close and I have read article after article about what they (CIG) have done to their engine, what they are developing, and what this mesh business is all about and it is truly a monumental effort. My point is if a layman can learn and read enough to understand the enormity of the project they are trying to make yet a "programmer" cannot wrap their head around it...did you get your certificate off a cereal box? Honest question.

Anyway, you're dead wrong with your second-to-last statement. People do care when it ties directly to their enjoyment of the game. I would have thought a programmer would know this as well.
    Ok since this magical and absolutely revolutionary server meshing will allow everyone to play on 1 server and obviously you are apparently an expert of SC, explain to us, simple plebians that lie about their jobs (rofl why would I do that :D ), how the server meshing will handle latency please. Will a guy from Australia be able to play with Europeans while not having a 200ms latency?? YOu know something absolutely essential for FPS and space dogfighting...

Ok, I will try and explain this in the terms it was explained to me, that made sense. I am not a game Dev, nor do I intimately understand the deeper concept here but here goes.

So, if you think about server meshing as a bubble of sorts, and as you move that bubble moves with you, so while in this bubble everything your toon will see is rendered. Now, say your bubble and player X's bubble cross and you decide to fight. The mesh will spin up another server (seamlessly) that will handle that fight, again only rendering what is necessary from your toons (and player X's) pov.

As a side note, I apply many games on oceanic servers, some of which are in Australia, and with Europeans, and I have never had 200MS—playing shooters, RPG, etc. So kinds of a strawman statement but I think I understand your point.

Also, you seem to be under the impression that this is some sort of space dogfighting and FPS game, while these will be features certainly, 90% of this game will be PvE. 

And then, people lie quite frequently about being developers, programmers, etc anything to do with the topic they are trying to speak on, in an attempt to add credibility to their usual, asinine assertions. Ergo, why I don't believe you are a programmer.

In closing, I bet if you too a few minutes to read what has been published about server meshing you can probably garner a lot more information about it than I can provide you here. As a programmer, you could call it professional interest. You know, because you're a programmer and all.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,814
    Hatefull said:
    Pigozz said:
    Hatefull said:
    Pigozz said:
    Hatefull said:
    Pigozz said:
    Hatefull said:
    So comparing a procedurly generated fully released (after many years of fixes) game to a game that is still in alpha...ok, cool story bro.

Comparing a game that took literally off-the-shelf tech to a game that is pioneering tech that will change the way games are made...ok, cool story bro.

Can you give examples? Because I play SC every fleefly and the only thing its pioneering is the insane amount of wasted resources on to create unplayable shitty shooter with 0 groundbreaking features

Now youre gonna start some mumbling about revolutionary server meshing that currently doesnt exist, its base layer got so bugged and messy on evocati they had to postpone its release and this all is just a terribly complicated fix to bad server architecture...because SC TOTALLY DOESNT use off-the-shelf tech like an outdated cry-engine and lumberyard extension because they were unable to extend the capabilities for multiplayer on their own..rofl

Meanwhile 20 guys managed to create their own engine capable of holding a literal galaxy where I can create complex bases filled with electricity grids,mining and proessing factories on any of the planets and any other player can visit those...something no other game have ever managed and something SC will definately NEVER manage ;)

So, your NMS argument is so old and tired. They did literally nothing but allow an algorithm flow that created their universe, it's literally math and while it is new to the gaming world, it is certainly not new to the world. So thanks for pointing out exactly how much you don't know about that game or SC. Also heavily instanced, uninspired ships, and it took 2 years before it was what anyone would consider done. A great example of cutting-edge tech. NOT!  lol

Im gonna answer only to this, because the rest was aologetic BS from a zealot of a non-working feature that should have been developed in year 0

I specifically pointed out that you can create bases other players can visit to future counter your stupid argument about "simple math" - it would be simple math if it was generated randomly per each person. Its not, the hash is so amazing and intertwinned with persistent data that it enables this kind of seamless transition between procedurally generated and created

I am a programmer and I know pretty much exactly what they did to achieve this without knowing the code, but the point, which you are unable to comprehend is the eye of the beholder:

Average joe doesnt give a fuck about what kind of tech was used to deliver a working experience

NMS works, SC doesnt. Simple as that
    LMAO - Ok, well first, I doubt very much you are a programmer, I mean beyond a basement Tetris clone type anyway.

2nd Ok, yes NMS works, I mean it took them 2 years post-launch to finally finish the game that, as you said, should have been done year 0 (loved that line, literally white-knighting for a failed launch, hilarious).

Anyway, I have made my point, whether you like it or not, SC is a far more comprehensive and in-depth project than NMS could ever evolve to. Yes, it has taken over a decade at this point and it may well take yet another decade to see this game fully realized, and this is where I question your "Programming" claim. 

I am not a programmer, not even close and I have read article after article about what they (CIG) have done to their engine, what they are developing, and what this mesh business is all about and it is truly a monumental effort. My point is if a layman can learn and read enough to understand the enormity of the project they are trying to make yet a "programmer" cannot wrap their head around it...did you get your certificate off a cereal box? Honest question.

Anyway, you're dead wrong with your second-to-last statement. People do care when it ties directly to their enjoyment of the game. I would have thought a programmer would know this as well.
    Ok since this magical and absolutely revolutionary server meshing will allow everyone to play on 1 server and obviously you are apparently an expert of SC, explain to us, simple plebians that lie about their jobs (rofl why would I do that :D ), how the server meshing will handle latency please. Will a guy from Australia be able to play with Europeans while not having a 200ms latency?? YOu know something absolutely essential for FPS and space dogfighting...

Ok, I will try and explain this in the terms it was explained to me, that made sense. I am not a game Dev, nor do I intimately understand the deeper concept here but here goes.

So, if you think about server meshing as a bubble of sorts, and as you move that bubble moves with you, so while in this bubble everything your toon will see is rendered. Now, say your bubble and player X's bubble cross and you decide to fight. The mesh will spin up another server (seamlessly) that will handle that fight, again only rendering what is necessary from your toons (and player X's) pov.

As a side note, I apply many games on oceanic servers, some of which are in Australia, and with Europeans, and I have never had 200MS—playing shooters, RPG, etc. So kinds of a strawman statement but I think I understand your point.

Also, you seem to be under the impression that this is some sort of space dogfighting and FPS game, while these will be features certainly, 90% of this game will be PvE. 

And then, people lie quite frequently about being developers, programmers, etc anything to do with the topic they are trying to speak on, in an attempt to add credibility to their usual, asinine assertions. Ergo, why I don't believe you are a programmer.

In closing, I bet if you too a few minutes to read what has been published about server meshing you can probably garner a lot more information about it than I can provide you here. As a programmer, you could call it professional interest. You know, because you're a programmer and all.

This makes me sad.
    Hatefull[Deleted User]Mendel

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• AngrakhanAngrakhan Member EpicPosts: 1,121
    If server meshing technology was something achievable by the SC dev team it would be done by now. While I'm not a game dev I am a dev. I can tell you that if what they are talking about was achievable with today's technology it would have been done by now. Server meshing was first on the roadmap in 2018, so that's at least 4 years they've been trying to get this to work. It doesn't take 4 years to figure out how to get servers to stream data and hand data off to each other, sorry.  No, it takes that long when the technology doesn't exist and you're trying to invent something that hasn't been done before so there's no one to ask or consultants to hire to come make that happen. Honestly I think their strategy is to bide their time until someone else builds the tech they need and then either license it or buy it outright. 

To get what they're talking about to work in a low latency environment I'm pretty sure you would have to solve that at the hardware level in addition to software. You would need fiber connected servers into the same data center to have enough bandwidth and low enough latency so that it didn't introduce synchronization issues as you crossed "bubble boundaries". While that would work in a lab it's not going to work in a single shard MMO that is available world wide. You'd have to have regional servers.

No, if they could get sever meshing done it would be done because it's the primary thing preventing this game from realizing CR's vision of the game. Once meshing is online the server population caps are a thing of the past, we have giant space battles with multiple capital ships, and all the naysayers have to eat a double helping of humble pie topped with crow.

Trust me, if they could do it, it would be done.
    HatefullPigozz
    edited October 2022
    Angrakhan said:

That's without considering a major aspect of this all.

Server mesh is not a mere feature, it's a bunch of major requirements that are actuals decently sized overhauls on the engine front, to even be possible to do what it needs to do.

It started with OCS, that is a streaming tech to stream in and out the game world as you move, then SSOCS so the server can do the same based on where the players are, now we are seeing the biggest slice of the requirements of the server mesh implementing, that is PES.

PES is persistent entity streaming in a nutshell is the tech that replaces the backend logic of persistence and data flow of the game and allows for game-world state to save up to items dropped on the open-world, even if servers crash and whatnot.

The server mesh is those pieces amongst others working together, it's not a simple feature that is hooked in despite the engine not supporting what it attempts to do.

If we go back to OCS that is an obvious requirement of the mesh its first groundwork started in 2015/2016, the engineering front working towards this step by step is not any recent effort.

So yeah, while it is coming online later in dev when it should have been done earlier, this is heavily a question of them resolving the game's tech debt over the years.

As far your bit about regional services, that's what they already plan, to keep scaling it until they can have a shard per region, at first it will be multiple per region, EU/US/AUS current ones, with potential SEA one coming.
    Hatefull[Deleted User]
    Angrakhan said:
    If server meshing technology was something achievable by the SC dev team it would be done by now. While I'm not a game dev I am a dev. I can tell you that if what they are talking about was achievable with today's technology it would have been done by now. Server meshing was first on the roadmap in 2018, so that's at least 4 years they've been trying to get this to work. It doesn't take 4 years to figure out how to get servers to stream data and hand data off to each other, sorry.  No, it takes that long when the technology doesn't exist and you're trying to invent something that hasn't been done before so there's no one to ask or consultants to hire to come make that happen. Honestly I think their strategy is to bide their time until someone else builds the tech they need and then either license it or buy it outright. 

To get what they're talking about to work in a low latency environment I'm pretty sure you would have to solve that at the hardware level in addition to software. You would need fiber connected servers into the same data center to have enough bandwidth and low enough latency so that it didn't introduce synchronization issues as you crossed "bubble boundaries". While that would work in a lab it's not going to work in a single shard MMO that is available world wide. You'd have to have regional servers.

No, if they could get sever meshing done it would be done because it's the primary thing preventing this game from realizing CR's vision of the game. Once meshing is online the server population caps are a thing of the past, we have giant space battles with multiple capital ships, and all the naysayers have to eat a double helping of humble pie topped with crow.

LOL I am sure you are(n't) a dev. And as I said it had to be explained to me like that because I don't even understand...well any of it. So I can only regurgitate what I was told by someone far smarter than I am on the topic. 

If you are a Dev, as I suggested to the other "Dev" on this thread, why not go read up on it from the people that are actually doing it and not some bomb tech that is trying to figure out what they are talking about? 

Anyway, I doubt you will as that would make far too much sense.
    [Deleted User]

Obviously, opinions vary. Also, Swolebenji is a joke, but mmmkay. I guess if you can't make a point, get a youtuber to fail to make a point for you as well. lol
    [Deleted User]

edited October 2022
    Hatefull said:

Obviously, opinions vary. Also, Swolebenji is a joke, but mmmkay. I guess if you can't make a point, get a youtuber to fail to make a point for you as well. lol
    You've been failing to make a point for like 4 pages now, regurgitating the same spiel at anyone who dares criticize this project.

You people have moved the goalposts on this project to an entirely new field over the past ten years, and you're still defending a project that has zero tangible release dates.

What happened to the procedural Jesus tech that was supposed to speed up new systems like 5 years ago?  Pyro is still being built at a glacial pace.  100 systems?  Lol you'll be lucky to have 5 by year 20 and a billion dollars at this rate.

Now go ahead and try to find something in the above to use to report this post that hurt your feefees.
    [Deleted User]Hatefull
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    edited October 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Sometimes we need fantasy to survive reality 
    https://biturl.top/rU7bY3
    Beyond the shadows there's always light
  • PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886
    Hatefull said:

This is simply a lie. You cannot go lower than 200ms Europe to Australia due to physical limitations of what the cables can achieve and even something like starlink needs to go through ground stations so the ping would be similar.

...Also you didnt answer how the SC would handle this and I know exactly why. Because SC developers dont have answer to this absolutey CRITICAL question regarding their 1 global server wet dream

Thats how shitty and shortsighted the entire design is

MendelMaxBaconHatefull

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

edited October 2022
    Pigozz said:

...Also you didnt answer how the SC would handle this and I know exactly why. Because SC developers dont have answer to this absolutey CRITICAL question regarding their 1 global server wet dream

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/18397-Server-Meshing-And-Persistent-Streaming-Q-A

"Is the true end goal one single shard for all players?

This is our ambition, however giving a definite answer is not possible at this point.
    We will start with many small shards per region and slowly reduce the number of shards. The first major goal will be to reduce this to only needing one single shard per region. To get there, our plan is to gradually increase player count per shard and constantly improve the backend and client tech to support more and more players.

And while we designed the backend to support one global shard, it is an operational challenge to deploy the backend in a way that doesn’t favor one group of players over another."

The goal right now is single shard per region. A mega-shard will always be defined by the latency factor, so as is at the moment, the only confirmed goal is a shard per region.

We have games like Albion Online that are a global server, and it is played globally, the latency hit downgrades the experience of the players, but that MMO still manages to function with large scale PvP on top.

Pigozz said:
    Hatefull said:

This is simply a lie. You cannot go lower than 200ms Europe to Australia due to physical limitations of what the cables can achieve and even something like starlink needs to go through ground stations so the ping would be similar.

Further proving you know exactly fuck all about what you are talking about. Was literally gaming with a dude from Singapore and another from Aus last night. Ping was all good, so again, just stop.

I didn't answer because much like you, I don't have a fucking clue what I am talking about with that topic. The big difference is, I know I don't know and you are so arrogant you need people to believe you are some sort of expert on the topic when in reality, you're just an uneducated (on this topic) mouthpiece that won't admit when they are wrong.

Good chat though "programmer".

Hatefull said:

I didn't actually watch it, I thought you would find it informational. B)
    Not in the least. I get my information from reliable sources.
    [Deleted User]

Hatefull said:

You've been failing to make a point for like 4 pages now, regurgitating the same spiel at anyone who dares criticize this project.

You people have moved the goalposts on this project to an entirely new field over the past ten years, and you're still defending a project that has zero tangible release dates.

What happened to the procedural Jesus tech that was supposed to speed up new systems like 5 years ago?  Pyro is still being built at a glacial pace.  100 systems?  Lol you'll be lucky to have 5 by year 20 and a billion dollars at this rate.

Now go ahead and try to find something in the above to use to report this post that hurt your feefees.
    No reason to report! LOL you're post is self-punishment enough all by itself. lol I mean to admit in public you have no clue and then double down on that is truly just amazing.

My point, since you can't seem to comprehend it even though it is quite obvious, is that you don't have a clue what you are talking about and you keep proving that over and again. You just keep saying the same tired shit over and over without even taking a look at the project that you could not care about anyway. Which is truly hilarious, that you waste moments of your life arguing from a false narrative about a game you care nothing about. In short, you're just a troll. Evidently a sensitive one.

Deathkon1 said:
    I haven't bothered to keep up with this never been a fan of space games except swtor.

Even though this is a biased opinion, the games still isn't done why review a half baked product makes no god dam sense to me when shits just going to be changed and tweaked later or done the way the dev wants, I would rather see the finished product that will come like 20-40 years from now then give an opinion on a half baked cake.
    Very intuitive, I mean a truly groundbreaking point. smh.

Hatefull said:
    Hatefull said:

No reason to report! LOL you're post is self-punishment enough all by itself. lol I mean to admit in public you have no clue and then double down on that is truly just amazing.

My point, since you can't seem to comprehend it even though it is quite obvious, is that you don't have a clue what you are talking about and you keep proving that over and again. You just keep saying the same tired shit over and over without even taking a look at the project that you could not care about anyway. Which is truly hilarious, that you waste moments of your life arguing from a false narrative about a game you care nothing about. In short, you're just a troll. Evidently a sensitive one.
    How'd that 2 hour Evocati test go?
    [Deleted User]
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Here’s a question:  Which will end first? This thread or Alpha?
    Hatefull

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    edited October 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Sometimes we need fantasy to survive reality 
    https://biturl.top/rU7bY3
    Beyond the shadows there's always light
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,259

Hatefull
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    edited October 2022
    Hatefull said:

Further proving you know exactly fuck all about what you are talking about. Was literally gaming with a dude from Singapore and another from Aus last night. Ping was all good, so again, just stop.

I didn't answer because much like you, I don't have a fucking clue what I am talking about with that topic. The big difference is, I know I don't know and you are so arrogant you need people to believe you are some sort of expert on the topic when in reality, you're just an uneducated (on this topic) mouthpiece that won't admit when they are wrong.

No, you really can't get good ping between Europe and Australia using normal internet connection. Internet's backbone takes too much time to deliver the message.

Here are some pings between wondernetwork.com servers. You can see that their European servers get very fast pings between each other, Australian servers also get very fast pings between each other, but when these fast servers from Europe and Australia try to communicate with each other the pings are suddenly close to 300ms:

Source: wondernetwork.com/pings
    [Deleted User]HatefullMendel

Here’s a question:  Which will end first? This thread or Alpha?
    My money is on the thread. If I keep laughing at work, my boss is gonna start to wonder.

Vrika said:
    Hatefull said:

No, you really can't get good ping between Europe and Australia using normal internet connection. Internet's backbone takes too much time to deliver the message.

Here are some pings between wondernetwork.com servers. You can see that their European servers get very fast pings between each other, Australian servers also get very fast pings between each other, but when these fast servers from Europe and Australia try to communicate with each other the pings are suddenly close to 300ms:

Source: wondernetwork.com/pings
    Cool and all, but I was literally in a game last night and it played just fine. You can see my earlier post on the topic. 

3.17 is great and all, but how excited are we for 3.18 in 2024? B)
    Well, even though I know you are trying (and sadly just failing) to troll, I am sure we will see 3.18 in 2023 however, next up will be 3.17.4. Do try to keep up. 

Hatefull said:
    Hatefull said:

How'd that 2 hour Evocati test go?
    Evidently, CIG got enough information from the test to make the call to postpone 3.18. So I would say it went quite well. I mean you could look this up for yourself, but where's the troll in that huh?