Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3.17 Opinions

Comments

• jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    To me it seems like SC is just milking its backers.  What incentive do they have to finish the game?   They release just enough new / inproved stuff to keep people interested and spending. Once / if the game is finished they would need a new source of revenue.  I guess they could always sell various cosmetics to keep the stream going . Mmos are expensive to make, but 500mil should be plenty.   I think they either bit off more than they could chew or it was just an elaborate scam all along
    FrodoFragins
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    edited October 2022
    Pigozz said:
    Hatefull said:
    So comparing a procedurly generated fully released (after many years of fixes) game to a game that is still in alpha...ok, cool story bro.

Comparing a game that took literally off-the-shelf tech to a game that is pioneering tech that will change the way games are made...ok, cool story bro.

Can you give examples? Because I play SC every fleefly and the only thing its pioneering is the insane amount of wasted resources on to create unplayable shitty shooter with 0 groundbreaking features

Now youre gonna start some mumbling about revolutionary server meshing that currently doesnt exist, its base layer got so bugged and messy on evocati they had to postpone its release and this all is just a terribly complicated fix to bad server architecture...because SC TOTALLY DOESNT use off-the-shelf tech like an outdated cry-engine and lumberyard extension because they were unable to extend the capabilities for multiplayer on their own..rofl

Meanwhile 20 guys managed to create their own engine capable of holding a literal galaxy where I can create complex bases filled with electricity grids,mining and proessing factories on any of the planets and any other player can visit those...something no other game have ever managed and something SC will definately NEVER manage ;)

Umm well yeah, so you try to establish a strawman argument by saying give me an example but this doesn't count. Great way to have a discussion. But it's not going to work anyway, you don't get to say give me an example and then go on to give an example. 

So, your NMS argument is so old and tired. They did literally nothing but allow an algorithm flow that created their universe, it's literally math and while it is new to the gaming world, it is certainly not new to the world. So thanks for pointing out exactly how much you don't know about that game or SC. Also heavily instanced, uninspired ships, and it took 2 years before it was what anyone would consider done. A great example of cutting-edge tech. NOT!  lol

And yes, server meshing is the tech we are waiting on, the engines you reference have been modded so much that they cannot even be called the original engines, again, thank you for pointing out exactly how ignorant you are on the topic. 

And yes,  CIG did delay 3.18 as internal testing highlighted some bugs that need to be hashed out prior to having more people test it as the bugs were made worse the more people on the server. This is all written out and common knowledge at this point, yet you didn't know. Not surprising.

So there you go, you're updated example provided. It's called alpha and should actually be called a pre-alpha since not all systems are in place, but they chose alpha. Also, an alpha in which they are still modifying the engine and creating tech to make the rest of their ideas work. But you keep posting, at this point you are just a meme.

Oh also, yeah your last point is wrong as well, I mean it's your opinion (lol Derek) and you are entitled to it no matter how flawed it is, but the fact is, you're just wrong. But hey go play NMS and come here so we can laugh at you.
    Post edited by Hatefull on

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

No gymnastics are required, just state a couple of facts. Pretty dead simple. I guess projecting your inadequacies on others is a hobby of sorts.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited October 2022
    Hatefull said:
    So, your NMS argument is so old and tired. They did literally nothing but allow an algorithm flow that created their universe, it's literally math and while it is new to the gaming world, it is certainly not new to the world....
    It's not new to the gaming world, it's been used for more than 4 decades (eg. Rogue in 1980, Elite in 1984). No Man's Sky just made an improved version that was was able to do stuff no previous version had done.

Also your argument "it's literally math" is inane since everything your computer does is math. If it's not math then your computer can't do it.
    Hatefull[Deleted User]

Vrika said:
    Hatefull said:
    So, your NMS argument is so old and tired. They did literally nothing but allow an algorithm flow that created their universe, it's literally math and while it is new to the gaming world, it is certainly not new to the world....
    It's not new to the gaming world, it's been used for more than 4 decades (eg. Rogue in 1980, Elite in 1984). No Man's Sky just made an improved version that was was able to do stuff no previous version had done.

Also your argument "it's literally math" is inane since everything your computer does is math. If it's not math then your computer can't do it.
    I had no idea it had been used that long. Which only further proves my point. 

My "it's just math" point, was not well developed and what I should have said is very little was handmade in NMS. 

I understand how computers work, and understand that comment would be lost on most without explanation, which I failed to give. 

• jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    Everything with SC is a delay and excuses for the delay.   Its pretty clear this project was too much for the SC devs to handle.   Should be able to afford some more outside help with 500 million.   SC is barely pre alpha after 12 years there is still no SQ42.  They still don't even have their super duper shiny new tech.  How many more years is it going to take?  12 yrs is alot for someone to work on the same thing and at some point people on the team are just going to get burned out or feel they are wasting their creative energy on one thing.   
    [Deleted User]Hatefull
    jitter77 said:
    Everything with SC is a delay and excuses for the delay.   Its pretty clear this project was too much for the SC devs to handle.   Should be able to afford some more outside help with 500 million.   SC is barely pre alpha after 12 years there is still no SQ42.  They still don't even have their super duper shiny new tech.  How many more years is it going to take?  12 yrs is alot for someone to work on the same thing and at some point people on the team are just going to get burned out or feel they are wasting their creative energy on one thing.   
    Well, 10 years. Yes, things have changed extensively I am not sure about any of the burnout you are talking about but I did 20 years in the Marines with no burnout. The point there is many many people work for much longer than 12 years and just keep happily doing their job. It's a pretty inane point you fail to make there.

Anyway, I guess we will see! LUckily funding and players keep going up so, I mean you have no proof to back up anything you are saying. lol

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    edited October 2022
    Hatefull said:
    jitter77 said:
    Well, 10 years. Yes, things have changed extensively I am not sure about any of the burnout you are talking about but I did 20 years in the Marines with no burnout. The point there is many many people work for much longer than 12 years and just keep happily doing their job. It's a pretty inane point you fail to make there.

Anyway, I guess we will see! LUckily funding and players keep going up so, I mean you have no proof to back up anything you are saying. lol

Point of order:  Funding can never go down… unless they allow mass refunds.  
    Hatefull

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• eoloeeoloe Member RarePosts: 864
    ... but 12 years and $500M is a lot of time and money to still be on v0.3.17. It is unreasonable to ask fans who donated to this cause to wait 20 years for them to come up with their initially promised vision. [...] I don't think it is unreasonable for anyone to be upset, nor do I see why it is so unfathomable why they would be. There isn't really need for a months-long discussion.

Yes 12 years... And the promised game after 12 years is STILL NOT here.
    How many years are needed ? 15 ? 20 ?
    Most people don't realize that this kind of duration is actually lethal for a significant amount of people.

Not everybody is reaching 15 yo. And if you are 30, it is not a given that you will reach 45.

Life is short. And even unexpectedly shorter for some of us.

I don't mind if a given task takes 20 or even 1000 years to be completed as long as it is worth it, and especially if it is clear in every people's mind.

But selling an undelivered promise, making money from gaslighting during such a long period of time is simply greedy and disrespectful of life expectancy.

If CR would have worked quietly on this project for 10 years and then started crowfunding with what he has now, I would not complain. It would have made sense.

But his strategy has been since the start, the very old:

"Fake it 'til you make it"

Since he did not make yet, he is still faking it with an alpha buggy demo.

HatefullMendel
    Hatefull said:
    jitter77 said:

Point of order:  Funding can never go down… unless they allow mass refunds.  
    The pace at which funding has been coming into CIG has been increasing. I mean if we ned to be pedantic about it.

edited October 2022
    Hatefull said:
    jitter77 said:

Pre-production began in 2010 and actual production started 2011...so about 12 years. SQ42 was originally slated for a 2016 during the Obama administration.

Making games is an art, and I can certainly see it being creatively stifling to work on something for over a decade without seeing it make much progress. In other cases, passionate software engineers may not want their career to stagnate by having 1 unfinished game on their resume.
    While you were in the marines, it never would have hindered your career/future to follow orders and do the exact same thing for 20 years, and I am guessing your artistically creative opinion was probably irrelevant.
    Personally, I am assuming everyone on the SC team is comfortable with collecting the check, but I thought yours was a strange analogy so I wanted to further illuminate @jitter77 's point.

As far as proof goes, it is in the documentation. Chris Roberts has made statements saying things along the lines of "We thought we could, but we can't yet."
    I don't view Star Citizen exactly the same way I do blatant scams like Camelot Unchained since they have a bit more work to show off, but 12 years and $500M is a lot of time and money to still be on v0.3.17. It is unreasonable to ask fans who donated to this cause to wait 20 years for them to come up with their initially promised vision. I think its cool what they have to play now is available to fans, and that a handful of them are happy with what they've got, but there is no denying the game today is not what they originally promised us and a little transparency for the future would be nice. I don't think it is unreasonable for anyone to be upset, nor do I see why it is so unfathomable why they would be. There isn't really need for a months-long discussion.
    I am not going to address many of your points as they are mostly inane at best.

What I would say is if you actually paid attention to what is being done in the game now, and what is planned for the game and knew what you were talking about, you're right there would not be any discussion on the length of development as you would understand why it is taking so long.

However, having said that, you don't care to understand, if you did there are plenty of sources out there to gain the knowledge and answer the question. But you don't actually care, all you really want to do is jump on a bandwagon, bash something you know literally nothing about and then grouse around making silly comments. 

So, cool story.

As far as the devs, and the time spent working on the job yet another inane point you fail to make. You act as if there aren't any other jobs out there or that they are somehow held captive. Truly a silly discussion point.

Also, since you don't know what you are talking about, as per usual I will say; Announced in 2012 Sep with a successful kick starter in October of that year. While wiki (lmao a very reliable source) /eyeroll) states production began in 2011, it didn't really start until 2012, which is why they are celebrating their 10 year and not 12 year.  

And once the fund really started rolling in the entire scope of the game changed, but I am sure you don't care to discuss that as it derails your entire argument. Anyway.
    [Deleted User]Babuinix

eoloe said:
    ... but 12 years and $500M is a lot of time and money to still be on v0.3.17. It is unreasonable to ask fans who donated to this cause to wait 20 years for them to come up with their initially promised vision. [...] I don't think it is unreasonable for anyone to be upset, nor do I see why it is so unfathomable why they would be. There isn't really need for a months-long discussion.

Yes 12 years... And the promised game after 12 years is STILL NOT here.
    How many years are needed ? 15 ? 20 ?
    Most people don't realize that this kind of duration is actually lethal for a significant amount of people.

Not everybody is reaching 15 yo. And if you are 30, it is not a given that you will reach 45.

Life is short. And even unexpectedly shorter for some of us.

I don't mind if a given task takes 20 or even 1000 years to be completed as long as it is worth it, and especially if it is clear in every people's mind.

But selling an undelivered promise, making money from gaslighting during such a long period of time is simply greedy and disrespectful of life expectancy.

If CR would have worked quietly on this project for 10 years and then started crowfunding with what he has now, I would not complain. It would have made sense.

But his strategy has been since the start, the very old:

"Fake it 'til you make it"

Since he did not make yet, he is still faking it with an alpha buggy demo.

great, another half-baked hobby psychologist ranting about a topic they know nothing about. 

Anyway did you have a point or just wanted to get on the board with the weirdest comment?

Logical thought and productive conversation are lost on you.

Oh..you were being serious? lol I thought someone that ignorant to the topic they were trying to speak to was obviously just trolling. My bad, tell you what, go and read up on a topic and I promise, I will take you seriously next time! lmao

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited October 2022
    Buyer's remorse mixed with sunken cost fallacy is a helluva drug.
    Sorry you have remorse.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Hatefull said:
    Buyer's remorse mixed with sunken cost fallacy is a helluva drug.
    Sorry you have remorse.
    I'd have to be one of those who bought this sideshow in order to feel remorse.
    Then I am not sure what your point is little fella. Use your big boy words and tell uncle Hateful whats going on.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Pigozz said:
    Babuinix said:
    rodarin said:
    Babuinix said:
    rodarin said:
    I would venture to say you give ANYONE, and I do mean ANYONE with even a modest ability to develop, produce, code anything video game related and they would have come up with something much better especially after 12 years.
    So why haven't they? :D

Cause I'd love to play that game too!
    There have been dozens if not hundreds of games actually released, along with many still in early access. 
    No need to fumble, Just name one :)

No man sky

It blows SC out of water in literally everything. Now go ahead and start some mental gymnastics and mumbling about revolutionary SC gameplay that currently cannot even persist objects and is borderline unplayable due to bugs, terrible performance etc...You are not capable of anything smarter

SC is lacking over 100 features to be even comparable to NMS...and Im not talking about small features like a friggin barista on a space station - Im talking tameable animals, base buldings, settlement building, NPC hiring, uderwater combat, destructible fauna/flora, destructible environment, functional capital ships, functional repairing, refining, crafting, economics, AI, VR support...rofl the more I write the more pathetic SC is in comparison

Well - dont get me wrong, I quite like No Man's Sky. It certainly has its special charme with the procedual generation and many different things to do, and overall it is quite fun to play for a while.

But it doesnt even remotely have the graphics of Star Citizen. And graphics ARE a lot of work. Always have been, always will be.

In fact the shortcuts that NMS took are unbelievable. Until quite recently, every system had a space station of the always same layout. Now there are two types - the regular and the pirate ones. Still completely static and always the exact same. There are a couple outpost types and they are also always the exact same layout. Theres literally an archeaological "puzzle" in the game thats the exact same every damn time.

Also NMS is developed in a completely chaotic way. For example every inventory works differently. Quite frankly it drives me nuts.

The interface works really strange in general, for example in certain menus you are "invincible", i.e. cant get hurt.

Multiplayer, dont get me started, for thats a trainwreck as well. There is multiplayer, but its definitely an afterthought. Again total chaos, with the funniest bugs.

So yeah, NMS certainly was finished quicker and has more to show. And its a fun game to play. But it has far inferior graphics and frankly it does clearly not have the greatest coordination between the developers.

HatefullMaxBacon
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited October 2022
    But it doesnt even remotely have the graphics of Star Citizen. And graphics ARE a lot of work. Always have been, always will be.

In fact the shortcuts that NMS took are unbelievable. Until quite recently, every system had a space station of the always same layout. Now there are two types - the regular and the pirate ones. Still completely static and always the exact same. There are a couple outpost types and they are also always the exact same layout. Theres literally an archeaological "puzzle" in the game thats the exact same every damn time.

Also NMS is developed in a completely chaotic way. For example every inventory works differently. Quite frankly it drives me nuts.

The interface works really strange in general, for example in certain menus you are "invincible", i.e. cant get hurt.

Multiplayer, dont get me started, for thats a trainwreck as well. There is multiplayer, but its definitely an afterthought. Again total chaos, with the funniest bugs.

So yeah, NMS certainly was finished quicker and has more to show. And its a fun game to play. But it has far inferior graphics and frankly it does clearly not have the greatest coordination between the developers.

NMS is such a double edged sword, it has so many features but at the same time it always feels like it just has one game loop because the resource grind loop is used for everything.

That is what had and still does keep me away, I check updates and meh out of it again, and obviously as you put well having an afterthought multiplayer that doesn't even piece in with the rest of the game... just meh.

If they were to touch the core of the game and truly have different ways of playing in that universe then sure that's its real potential.

Hell even Starfield made me surprise pikachu face when I saw it kept reminding me of NMS, this video spot on on that btw kek 
    Hatefull
  • PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886
    Hatefull said:
    Pigozz said:
    Hatefull said:
    So comparing a procedurly generated fully released (after many years of fixes) game to a game that is still in alpha...ok, cool story bro.

Comparing a game that took literally off-the-shelf tech to a game that is pioneering tech that will change the way games are made...ok, cool story bro.

Can you give examples? Because I play SC every fleefly and the only thing its pioneering is the insane amount of wasted resources on to create unplayable shitty shooter with 0 groundbreaking features

Now youre gonna start some mumbling about revolutionary server meshing that currently doesnt exist, its base layer got so bugged and messy on evocati they had to postpone its release and this all is just a terribly complicated fix to bad server architecture...because SC TOTALLY DOESNT use off-the-shelf tech like an outdated cry-engine and lumberyard extension because they were unable to extend the capabilities for multiplayer on their own..rofl

Meanwhile 20 guys managed to create their own engine capable of holding a literal galaxy where I can create complex bases filled with electricity grids,mining and proessing factories on any of the planets and any other player can visit those...something no other game have ever managed and something SC will definately NEVER manage ;)

So, your NMS argument is so old and tired. They did literally nothing but allow an algorithm flow that created their universe, it's literally math and while it is new to the gaming world, it is certainly not new to the world. So thanks for pointing out exactly how much you don't know about that game or SC. Also heavily instanced, uninspired ships, and it took 2 years before it was what anyone would consider done. A great example of cutting-edge tech. NOT!  lol

Im gonna answer only to this, because the rest was aologetic BS from a zealot of a non-working feature that should have been developed in year 0

I specifically pointed out that you can create bases other players can visit to future counter your stupid argument about "simple math" - it would be simple math if it was generated randomly per each person. Its not, the hash is so amazing and intertwinned with persistent data that it enables this kind of seamless transition between procedurally generated and created

I am a programmer and I know pretty much exactly what they did to achieve this without knowing the code, but the point, which you are unable to comprehend is the eye of the beholder:

Average joe doesnt give a fuck about what kind of tech was used to deliver a working experience

NMS works, SC doesnt. Simple as that
    Hatefull

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    edited October 2022
    Why yes - NMS works, and it has so many different things to do.

Some of which are a PITA like hunting for the "perfect" starship or farming the "perfect" freighter.

I would estimate it takes about 100 hours to get to the point when you have "everything", like:

- A specialized and optimized gun and a specialized and optimized mining tool (plus one multitool for crossing galaxies which gets destroyed every time)

- A good collection of starships for the various tasks (like one galaxy jumper which has no tech not in tech slots)

- about 40 bases (you can have up to 50, but lets keep some spare) over the 256 available galaxies, each producing a good collection of resources and conventiently placed near a portal so you can reach any system in this galaxy

- a fully upgraded grade S freighter (requires a lot of derelict freighters)

And then you can probably play 1000+ hours and STILL not have a really satisfying collection of frigattes. I know because my longest game is 300 hours and its not anywhere close to having a great selection of those. Of course with a fully upgraded S freigther frigatte missions aint really a challenge anyway.

Still, its in many ways a really weird game and it doesnt have the goal of a certain "realism", if such a beast can exist in SF, not even remotely, like Star Citizen does.

edited October 2022
    Pigozz said:
    Hatefull said:
    Pigozz said:
    Hatefull said:

Im gonna answer only to this, because the rest was aologetic BS from a zealot of a non-working feature that should have been developed in year 0

I specifically pointed out that you can create bases other players can visit to future counter your stupid argument about "simple math" - it would be simple math if it was generated randomly per each person. Its not, the hash is so amazing and intertwinned with persistent data that it enables this kind of seamless transition between procedurally generated and created

I am a programmer and I know pretty much exactly what they did to achieve this without knowing the code, but the point, which you are unable to comprehend is the eye of the beholder:

Average joe doesnt give a fuck about what kind of tech was used to deliver a working experience

LMAO - Ok, well first, I doubt very much you are a programmer, I mean beyond a basement Tetris clone type anyway.

2nd Ok, yes NMS works, I mean it took them 2 years post-launch to finally finish the game that, as you said, should have been done year 0 (loved that line, literally white-knighting for a failed launch, hilarious).

Anyway, I have made my point, whether you like it or not, SC is a far more comprehensive and in-depth project than NMS could ever evolve to. Yes, it has taken over a decade at this point and it may well take yet another decade to see this game fully realized, and this is where I question your "Programming" claim. 

I am not a programmer, not even close and I have read article after article about what they (CIG) have done to their engine, what they are developing, and what this mesh business is all about and it is truly a monumental effort. My point is if a layman can learn and read enough to understand the enormity of the project they are trying to make yet a "programmer" cannot wrap their head around it...did you get your certificate off a cereal box? Honest question.

Anyway, you're dead wrong with your second-to-last statement. People do care when it ties directly to their enjoyment of the game. I would have thought a programmer would know this as well.

• TheDalaiBombaTheDalaiBomba Member EpicPosts: 1,493
    edited October 2022
    Just leave it alone.  This guy will dish it out, but as soon as someone directs it back at him, it's moderation reports.

Save yourself the headache and leave this poster to ramble by himself about a 10 year old, half a billion dollar tech demo.
    Mendel[Deleted User]
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited October 2022
    Save yourself the headache and leave this poster to ramble by himself about a 10 year old, half a billion dollar tech demo.
    Yet as relevant as ever, being played by dozens of thousands daily all its issues included and it still is the main prospect of a current space sim MMO to be realized. Which is why all of this is noise and SC ends up reflecting the saying "the dogs bark as the caravan passes by".

The fact people have to bring up games that ain't even on the same genres to compare to SC just talks for itself.
  • PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886
    Hatefull said:
    Pigozz said:
    Hatefull said:
    Pigozz said:
    Hatefull said:

LMAO - Ok, well first, I doubt very much you are a programmer, I mean beyond a basement Tetris clone type anyway.

2nd Ok, yes NMS works, I mean it took them 2 years post-launch to finally finish the game that, as you said, should have been done year 0 (loved that line, literally white-knighting for a failed launch, hilarious).

Anyway, I have made my point, whether you like it or not, SC is a far more comprehensive and in-depth project than NMS could ever evolve to. Yes, it has taken over a decade at this point and it may well take yet another decade to see this game fully realized, and this is where I question your "Programming" claim. 

I am not a programmer, not even close and I have read article after article about what they (CIG) have done to their engine, what they are developing, and what this mesh business is all about and it is truly a monumental effort. My point is if a layman can learn and read enough to understand the enormity of the project they are trying to make yet a "programmer" cannot wrap their head around it...did you get your certificate off a cereal box? Honest question.

Anyway, you're dead wrong with your second-to-last statement. People do care when it ties directly to their enjoyment of the game. I would have thought a programmer would know this as well.
    Ok since this magical and absolutely revolutionary server meshing will allow everyone to play on 1 server and obviously you are apparently an expert of SC, explain to us, simple plebians that lie about their jobs (rofl why would I do that :D ), how the server meshing will handle latency please. Will a guy from Australia be able to play with Europeans while not having a 200ms latency?? YOu know something absolutely essential for FPS and space dogfighting...

Mendel

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them