Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Indie MMORPG Embers Adrift Officially Launches - Team Experiences a Smooth Release | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2022 in News & Features Discussion

imageIndie MMORPG Embers Adrift Officially Launches - Team Experiences a Smooth Release | MMORPG.com

Stormhaven Studios' flagship title Embers Adrift has officially released today, and thus far the experience has been smooth sailing. Contrary to multiple MMORPG releases of the past, servers are stable, there are no discernible queue times, and the starter areas are full of new players.

Read the full story here

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    It has been smooth and really fun. People grouping up, asking questions and not getting made fun. I really like more close knit communities. I dont know how long it will last, but its good so far.
    TokkenmaskedweaselCalDruidSevenwindMensurScotDigDuggyMikeha

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    starstorm777MensurScotGrymmoireDekahn

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    I didn't feel any lag while in game.  But then I never lagged in beta either.  I will give them credit, they have decent stability.  Also in general there is not a lot of bugs in the game.
    KyleranCalDruidSevenwind
  • DattelisDattelis Member RarePosts: 1,457
    edited October 2022
    Well, the real test is seeing how it holds up a month 'post' launch, since that's been the determining factor of a lot of mmorpgs this past 1-2 years (I guess 3 if you count all of Bless and its re-incarnations).
    maskedweaselScotCogohi
  • giantessfangiantessfan Member UncommonPosts: 185

Dattelis said:

Well, the real test is seeing how it holds up a month 'post' launch, since that's been the determining factor of a lot of mmorpgs this past 1-2 years (I guess 3 if you count all of Bless and its re-incarnations).

The month is very important for this game because people get to play free for a month. How many people will sub once the month is over? I found a group to play with and had quite a bit of fun today actually. First time while playing Embers Adrift. has my feeling changed since the last post. No, I still think the game is ROUGH and that is has major problems that I don't think are going to go away. In a month I am gone like the wind
    DattelismaskedweaselRenfailSarlaCogohiDhampir
  • CalDruidCalDruid Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Been having a lot of fun in Ember the last two days. Ember accomplished the old school EQ feel. It’s crazy how refreshing it is to play an MMO without a stupid ? over every NPCs head. Never thought I’d miss the Old school grind and mob camping but actually having to group with people to accomplish goals has been an absolute blast.
    SevenwindMensurKyleran
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,514
    Honestly I have burned 8 hours in the game so far. And I must say- if you can see past the animations- and a bit to early release. The game is worth a try- also the community is fantastic!
    Kyleran

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    The only reason I'm not jumping in is the lack of magic. 
    I like spell casting; fire balls, lightning strikes, teleportation, healing, invis., curses, and generally the high fantasy D+D gamut to play with. 
    Maybe some day, if they can git 'er done. 

I expect a general lack of depth, under their circumstances. But there's no foundation for spell casting that I can see. 
    KataalDattelisOyjordRaagnarz

Once upon a time....

Mensur said:
    Honestly I have burned 8 hours in the game so far. And I must say- if you can see past the animations- and a bit to early release. The game is worth a try- also the community is fantastic!
    Yep level 5-15 is the sweet spot for this game.  Lets see how you feel after level 25, by 35 I guarantee you will be in a different frame of mind.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,171
    Mensur said:

The community is quite nice. Even my curmudgeonly self is giving out free gear to newcomers to help ease their early experience and dishing out run by heals when the situation warrants.
    Mensur
    For me in Embers, when I first started it was fun early game.  It has a basic core that could have been good.  My biggest problem is that it never gets better.  You stay a peasant for eternity.  The loot feels subpar, especially later when you are wanting to get better stuff, the items just don't have anything good on them.

So the grouping aspect of this game is actually its huge strength, they really should have leaned into that for latter down the road, by giving really cool group loot and items, encouraging exploring and stuff.

Some people are going to think I hate these types of games because I'm negative on this one.  But the reality is I'm actually mad at this game, because their lackluster effort on developing level 20+ really hurt this game and will effect this entire genre of old school games.  People will be saying for years how PVE old school grouping games fail and point to this game.

Just a little bit of effort to widen that audience and put in some cool skills/loot would have gone a long way in people getting that fun factor past the initial experience.

Asm0deusScotMensurRidrithMendelmaskedweaselDhampir
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    Mensur said:
    Don't keep saying how great the game is or the quality of the playerbase will take a nosedive as everyman and his dog will want in. :)
    Mensur

Brainy said:

Mensur said:

Yep level 5-15 is the sweet spot for this game.  Lets see how you feel after level 25, by 35 I guarantee you will be in a different frame of mind.

Lets see. Being a mmorpg nerd- I had to try it out. Game is still fun- but will let you know once I hit those levels.
    Brainy

mmorpg junkie since 1999

Scot said:

Mensur said:

Don't keep saying how great the game is or the quality of the playerbase will take a nosedive as everyman and his dog will want in. :)

Did you try it out mate? I can share my log-in with you if you wanna have a go?

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• budzibudzi Member UncommonPosts: 68

I like spell casting; fire balls, lightning strikes, teleportation, healing, invis., curses, and generally the high fantasy D+D gamut to play with. 

I expect a general lack of depth, under their circumstances. But there's no foundation for spell casting that I can see. 

Wait until you find what to do with Ember...
    edited October 2022
    Mensur said:

Scot said:

Mensur said:

Thanks, but I never play beta's so I won't check it thoroughly out until after launch. One thing that strikes me already, how much a good community can make for a good MMO regardless of graphics and slow combat people have talked about.
    Mensur
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Scot said:
    ...snip...
    Thanks, but I never play beta's so I won't check it thoroughly out until after launch. One thing that strikes me already, how much a good community can make for a good MMO regardless of graphics and slow combat people have talked about.
    One thing about the game is the combat is so slow old timers like myself can easily have a beer and not have to worry about twitchy combat or party wipes due to "mechanics" fails like in Lost Ark for example.
    :D

dragonlee66RidrithScotmaskedweasel

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

edited October 2022
    Scot said:
    Mensur said:

Every man and his dog won't want in.

It's not a game with wide appeal. It is also atypically group focused. That along with a small population will ensure that those overtly negative will find they become quickly notorious if not outright pariahs. Most won't enjoy the game much or hang around long should that fate befall them.

I expect the state of the community to be fairly secure, unless the developers switch gears and go f2p. Then it will of course be doomed.
    EDIT Oops, I was wrong. The community has already degraded a fair bit. All my illusions have been shattered and it did not take long at all. Woe that times such as this are upon us. Oh well... I'll get over it. And..... done. Back to old harbours, safe and sound.
    Post edited by KnightFalz on
    Scot said:
    Mensur said:

Scot said:

Mensur said:

It is launched.
  • KataalKataal Member UncommonPosts: 173
    edited October 2022

budzi said:

Wait until you find what to do with Ember...

As someone also on the fence because of a lack of traditional caster classes of any kind, I have been waiting to find out what "to do" with Ember. As far as I've seen though, the systems for it aren't even in the game yet, and the devs have only given vague hints about using Ember for "Alchemy", which sounds more like a glorified crafting tree to me than a magic system. But again, if there is more actual information on this anywhere, please share.
    Raagnarz
  • RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 808
    edited October 2022
    So far from what I've played, this dev team has done exactly what they set out to do. Make a MMO that hasn't got much going for it beyond features and content (less so, in fact) from the late 90s and early 00s with graphics to match.

It's a niche title yeah, but the content that is present in the game and the way it plays... I'm having a real difficult time seeing the value in the offering, considering they're charging a 40 dollar box price and a 15 dollar sub. You're going to have a very, VERY small group of people who enjoy this game for whatever reason. Different tastes for different folks, whatever floats your boat. For everyone else, I would say dodge this game like the plague.

It's tedious, time-consuming, ugly, boring, feature-poor, unfinished.

The moment folks start charging AAA pricing for an MMO, they should generally come to the table with a lot more than what is currently present in the game.

You have the old timers who stick around, I'm sure, they want to recount their glory days of sitting at a spawn for 12 hours to kill a monster. Where old EQ players who valued that sort of thing might appreciate it, no one else is going to care about those old stories and if they try to play this, they're going to quickly understand why so many of these horrible design choices were left in the dust as MMOs advanced forward.

I will say this though, the community by and far seems to be welcoming and nice. There are a few wangrods though who aggressively defend the game, but that's to be expected. I think we all do that for whatever reason. It's an affront to our tastes if somebody doesn't like what we like, or thinks that it's crap.

Like I said above, there's going to be a niche audience that likes the game and play it. That's who they've built it for. I think they've done a good job in recreating something that the vast majority of current gamers (or even older gamers) won't care to play, but the few who do will be happy that it exists. So that's good for them.
    Post edited by Ridrith on
    [Deleted User]deniterMendelRenfailMensurCogohi
    I like to complain about games.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Mensur said:
    The community doesn't surprise me.....Games where people have to group, the players are often more cordial so they will be invited again.
    ScotMensurKyleran
    edited October 2022
    Mensur said:
    The community doesn't surprise me.....Games where people have to group, the players are often more cordial so they will be invited again.
    Rather than FU soloers if you pardon the expression. Not saying they are all like that by any means, in BDO I was mainly one myself as the guild was not the right fit. But how many like that does it take to push a community into the gutter?
    edited October 2022

It is launched.
    Thanks, on my radar now, but wating for the reviews. I don't care about the discounted/free(?) period, if the reviews are good quite happy to pay.
    enesisxlr8Dhampir