Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Video Details The Challenges Of MMORPG Content Creation | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2022 in Videos Discussion

imageNew Video Details The Challenges Of MMORPG Content Creation | MMORPG.com

A new video is detailing some of the challenges behind creating content based on MMORPGs, with multiple MMO creator heavyweights weighing in on the subject.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TaiphozTaiphoz Member UncommonPosts: 353
    I would have loved to hear all these answeres back in the WoW 1.0 days, and Everquest , EvE and other older MMO's because the one thing that really sets older mmo's appart from modern mmo's is that modern games are way more casual, dont need player interaction and are designed to be picked up played for 5 minutes and put down, and this literally kills the genre.

If we want to revive mmo's as a genre we need to abandon this casual 5 minute playtime style of development. otherwise it is just fortnite
    ninjacowboy88Scot
  • LumeriaLumeria Member UncommonPosts: 61

Taiphoz said:

I would have loved to hear all these answeres back in the WoW 1.0 days, and Everquest , EvE and other older MMO's because the one thing that really sets older mmo's appart from modern mmo's is that modern games are way more casual, dont need player interaction and are designed to be picked up played for 5 minutes and put down, and this literally kills the genre.

If we want to revive mmo's as a genre we need to abandon this casual 5 minute playtime style of development. otherwise it is just fortnite

Who wants to revive it though? There's been ample opportunity since Wow 1.0 etc but the sense of urgency is just no longer there or the ability to move as a unit with large groups (ie guilds) like traditional MMORPG's require.

If you watched Asmongold tackle FFXIV he is far from casual but what that game offers is lots of different pockets of content you can dip into when you want - even more than the traditional games offered and it works. However content creation needs a faster churn to keep its audience engaged which is a separate issue that has nothing to do with MMO's but everything to do with public entertainment.

Mendel
  • TheDalaiBombaTheDalaiBomba Member EpicPosts: 1,493
    edited August 2022
    The video is about streamers creating videos, not creating video game content itself.

The challenges....  Of creating YouTube videos....  Needed it's own YouTube video?  Where a bunch of the folks making money off of making YouTube videos tell everyone how hard that is?

That might be the weirdest flex I've ever seen.  I'm assuming they'll make some ad revenue off of their YouTube video about the challenges of making YouTube videos exclusively from people who make a lot of money making YouTube videos where they're streaming someone else's original creation in action.
    maskedweaseldoomexMendelshadowafflesninjacowboy88ScotHazenXIII
  • BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 567
    Sometimes I really wish there was an option to rate mmorpg.com articles. I really do.
    maskedweaseldoomexSequriem
    edited August 2022
    Sometimes I really wish there was an option to rate mmorpg.com articles. I really do.
    Thing is, I really feel like writing articles is even harder to do successfully today because of the constant attacks on our attention spans with lights and noises.  And it is far more thankless!  It doesn't come with its own cult-like base of devoted fans.

The staff should replace this article with an ode to themselves for not sending hate mail to the streamers who made that video. :D 
    maskedweaselScot
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    edited August 2022
    The video is about streamers creating videos, not creating video game content itself.

The challenges....  Of creating YouTube videos....  Needed it's own YouTube video?  Where a bunch of the folks making money off of making YouTube videos tell everyone how hard that is?

That might be the weirdest flex I've ever seen.  I'm assuming they'll make some ad revenue off of their YouTube video about the challenges of making YouTube videos exclusively from people who make a lot of money making YouTube videos where they're streaming someone else's original creation in action.
    It is kind of silly. I get that it might be time consuming, but it's not like they are forced to do it either. I don't even watch streams anymore because half the time it's just the guy just screwing around talking to people with zero worthwhile information and no gameplay. 

There are very few youtube channels where I get any relevant information out of their content. It's not entertaining for me. I can't just watch someone just to watch them, I need a reason. 
    TheDalaiBombaBrotherMaynardMendel

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    edited August 2022

It's a legitimate way to make a living like a lot a lot of things these days, even if you don't like it. You are ignoring the fact that Youtube/Google/Alphabet Inc. is making the real $.

People poo-pood about bloggers in the early 2000's. To me it's no different then radio shows or podcasts. It's entertainment to those who find it entertaining. Video content creation, editing and churning it out at a fast enough rate to be consumed by the masses is something I wouldn't be good at, but props to those who are good at it and can make an honest living off it.
    maskedweasellotrloreSovrathValdheim
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

It is kind of silly. I get that it might be time consuming, but it's not like they are forced to do it either. I don't even watch streams anymore because half the tike it's just the guy just screwing around talking to people with zero worthwhile information and no gameplay. 

There are very few youtube channels where I get any relevant information out of their content. It's not entertaining for me. I can't just watch someone just to watch them, I need a reason. 
    My understanding is most of the current popular streamers are popular based on personality.  And that is.. essentially reality TV for video games.

Like you say: nothing of value gained but to giggle to one's self at the antics of an artificially inflated personality on screen at that point.

maskedweaselMendel
  • lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 558
    edited August 2022

Thing is, I really feel like writing articles is even harder to do successfully today because of the constant attacks on our attention spans with lights and noises.  And it is far more thankless!  It doesn't come with its own cult-like base of devoted fans.

The staff should replace this article with an ode to themselves for not sending hate mail to the streamers who made that video. :D 

I wouldn't say it's specifically harder, but definitely has its own unique challenges that are also coupled with some of the same challenges the video discusses. We've got SEO to worry about, traffic numbers, the issue of Google Discover knocking your articles out of reach of readers for no arbitrary reason, and the fact that every article is paid, so the overhead can oftentimes be more than just a single person making their own videos. On top of that we have to balance whether or not a specific article is going to do enough traffic to justify the cost, how much time to spend in each game to ensure it's financially viable not just to the outlet but the writer as well, while still trying to put out as comprehensive and thorough a review as possible, and more. There is a ton at play behind the scenes.

There is a lot of hard work that goes into both fields, as well as unique challenges each of us face. You may have also noticed that we are trying to do more video features on some articles, which take an enormous amount of time to put together (The recent Tower of Fantasy article/video for instance that released today). There is no ill-will towards content creators on our end, and the video here is rather interesting if its something someone who read this article has been interested in getting into.
    TheDalaiBombamaskedweasel
  • ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 818
    I had interest in watching videos from some of these content creators, but in the last year, I found them very boring and hard to relate, I just read news about new MMOs, try new MMOs and play the ones I enjoy, these content creators no longer interest me.
  • fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561

It is kind of silly. I get that it might be time consuming, but it's not like they are forced to do it either. I don't even watch streams anymore because half the tike it's just the guy just screwing around talking to people with zero worthwhile information and no gameplay. 

My understanding is most of the current popular streamers are popular based on personality.  And that is.. essentially reality TV for video games.

Like you say: nothing of value gained but to giggle to one's self at the antics of an artificially inflated personality on screen at that point.

People like to share their opinions and other people like to hear them. It is what it is. I could see this video being of value for viewers interested in creating media content for MMOs.
    TheDalaiBomba
    Tiller said:

It's a legitimate way to make a living like a lot a lot of things these days, even if you don't like it. You are ignoring the fact that Youtube/Google/Alphabet Inc. is making the real $.

People poo-pood about bloggers in the early 2000's. To me it's no different then radio shows or podcasts. It's entertainment to those who find it entertaining. Video content creation, editing and churning it out at a fast enough rate to be consumed by the masses is something I wouldn't be good at, but props to those who are good at it and can make an honest living off it.
    There are a lot of legitimate ways to make a living, and I begrudge no one on YouTube doing, say, science experiment content for young adults.  There's a lot of value there.

Conversely, I consider the personality streamers to be the same level of entertainment art as reality TV.  That definitely leaves room for more valuable video work on video games.
    MendelBrotherMaynard
  • JamesFassettJamesFassett Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    edited August 2022
    Tiller said:

There are a lot of legitimate ways to make a living, and I begrudge no one on YouTube doing, say, science experiment content for young adults.  There's a lot of value there.

Conversely, I consider the personality streamers to be the same level of entertainment art as reality TV.  That definitely leaves room for more valuable video work on video games.
    It's fun to laugh.
    finefluff said:
    Tiller said:

It's fun to laugh.
    I don't disagree at all.

And video editing work is a valuable skill.  All of that is true, and unchallenged.  They still seem the video game version of reality TV stars, though.  Epic meltdowns and all.
    maskedweasel
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    If I had even the remotest interest of watching someone play an MMORPG, this *might* be marginally interesting.  I don't, so it isn't.  A group of streamers espousing the trials and tribulations of being a streamer has no appeal.  Why should I watch their 1 hour video when I could be playing something?

This came across like one of those recruitment ads for the Army.  Only not as good.

maskedweaselBrotherMaynard

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • HJ-NavarreHJ-Navarre Hero's Journey GMMember UncommonPosts: 104
    edited August 2022
    If YouTube had never allowed the monetization of videos, it would free up all of these 'creators'
    to be hobbyists who make videos they are passionate about, instead of giving a crap about views and algorithms and the almighty dollar. Problem solved.
    maskedweaselBrotherMaynard
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167

If YouTube had never allowed the monetization of videos, it would free up all of these 'creators'

to be hobbyists who make videos they are passionate about, instead of giving a crap about views and algorithms and the almighty dollar. Problem solved.

It's created a whole industry around entry level production gear and software. Honestly production quality maters. A lot of them started as hobbyists, just look back at their older videos and you will see where they started. They just got comfortable doing it and upped their game.

I don't really care if they make money or not; but I believe in people being happy with their job and getting paid for their passion. Just because you hate your job and may be unhappy doesn't mean everyone else should lol.
    Valdheim
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • HJ-NavarreHJ-Navarre Hero's Journey GMMember UncommonPosts: 104

Tiller said:

It's created a whole industry around entry level production gear and software. Honestly production quality maters. A lot of them started as hobbyists, just look back at their older videos and you will see where they started. They just got comfortable doing it and upped their game.

I don't really care if they make money or not; but I believe in people being happy with their job and getting paid for their passion. Just because you hate your job and may be unhappy doesn't mean everyone else should lol.

It's a 2hr video about them bitching about how they can't get paid w/o conforming to YT algorithms. That's nice and all, but they contribute literally ZERO to society. Maybe they should get a real job.. help a homeless person.. save a cat from a tree.. farm a crop.. save the world from global warming... something that doesn't perpetuate nothingness.
    Scot
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Tiller said:

It's a 2hr video about them bitching about how they can't get paid w/o conforming to YT algorithms. That's nice and all, but they contribute literally ZERO to society. Maybe they should get a real job.. help a homeless person.. save a cat from a tree.. farm a crop.. save the world from global warming... something that doesn't perpetuate nothingness.

Would you go back to a low paying "real job" after making your first million $ on the internet?.... no?

i thought so.
    Odi101

Tiller said:

Your post contributed even less. Maybe you should take your own advice and go look for cats to save.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,991
    Play the game, don't watch those creating nothing do that for you.
    Mendel
  • Kelleyewell036Kelleyewell036 Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Creating video content can be tough. And to set up cameras for the purpose can be even tougher. Fortunately, you can always seek help from advanced Eufy Camera setups that can help you create and record content hassle-free.