Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nvidia RTX 4090 Founder's Edition Review | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2022 in News & Features Discussion

imageNvidia RTX 4090 Founder's Edition Review | MMORPG.com

The RTX 4090 graphics card from Nvidia makes some bold claims. As the flagship of the brand new Ada Lovelace architecture by Nvidia, the RTX 4090 aims to take its place as the fastest GPU on the market, whether you're looking for just blazing fast framerates in heavy game workloads or are a creative making some of the world's best digital art. But do the claims match up with real-world performance? We take a look in our RTX 4090 review.

Read the full story here

Comments

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    My new $950 3080Ti just whispered me to hang on for 5-6 more years so I will, just like I did with my 1080Ti. :)

Nice Card thou indeed.
    HatefulllingceapuckSplattrAsm0deus

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    When a GFX costs the same as 3 Xbox X I think it's time to predict a large uptick in console sales and a severe downtrend for gaming PCs.
    DarkagesSandmanjwOldKingLogangerbeaverBakgrindmoshraTruvidienn
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    "It's a Massive Card And Might Force Owners To Replace Their Case"

Now you are talking, it puts consoles in their place, while even mini-towers watch and weep! :D
    Splattr
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Iselin said:
    When a GFX costs the same as 3 Xbox X I think it's time to predict a large uptick in console sales and a severe downtrend for gaming PCs.
    It doesn't really matter what the most expensive GPU costs. The problem is that at the moment NVidia's low end GPUs are bad. 
    HatefullIselinAsm0deus

• RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 802

Iselin said:

Not even remotely true. The only people who are going to be looking to purchase these cards are the tech nerds who can't help themselves but to think they need the absolute latest cards for reasons (despite hardly ever using them to their full potential), professionals who want a great card for gaming/workstation, or just professional gamers.

With these cards out, that's going to push down the price of the 20 and 30 series cards. The 3060 is a great card for its value and high performance. The higher end 2080 TI, etc can now be purchased much cheaper.

Arc also came out of Intel and it has its uses, there's a lot of fascinating information out there about that card. Not to mention the new AMD cards are out there on the horizon.
    Scot
    I like to complain about games.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    edited October 2022
    Ridrith said:

With these cards out, that's going to push down the price of the 20 and 30 series cards. The 3060 is a great card for its value and high performance. The higher end 2080 TI, etc can now be purchased much cheaper.
    At the moment on my local store cheapest RTX 3050 costs €400. If you pay 50% more, you'll get (cheapest) RTX 3070 that's more than twice as fast at €600.

People who know enough to look for previous generation cards can get better deals by going with RTX 2060 or some of the GTX 1660 -variants, but it requires quite a lot of knowledge to look for previous generation cards. You average buyer is more likely to just look at NVidia's current generation lineup, conclude that GPU prices start at €400, and buy either PS5 or XBox Series S at €500.

Iselin said:

It is literally the most expensive and sought after GPU you can buy right now...
    There are plenty of budget options to choose from if you want to build a PC, I got a 1660S a few years ago for $250 and today 3050s are going for $299 on amazon.
    If you want to build the latest, greatest, fastest rig that 2022 can offer then yeah it's gonna cost more than 3 Xbox X.
    I mentioned those consoles specifically because they do current high-end games in 4K at 60 FPS The low-end current-gen cards struggle to do that.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    Vrika said:
    Ridrith said:

At the moment on my local store cheapest RTX 3050 costs €400. If you pay 50% more, you'll get (cheapest) RTX 3070 that's more than twice as fast at €600.

People who know enough to look for previous generation cards can get better deals by going with RTX 2060 or some of the GTX 1660 -variants, but it requires quite a lot of knowledge to look for previous generation cards. You average buyer is more likely to just look at NVidia's current generation lineup, conclude that GPU prices start at €400, and buy either PS5 or XBox Series S at €500.
    Yeah I am thinking of getting a new PC and will put the 3070 or 3080 in it. Won't be going for the 4000 series of cards at all. Hopefully the 3000 higher end 70 or 80 lasts for another 7 years like my 1070 GTX.
    Chamber of Chains
  • Blowfeld81Blowfeld81 Member UncommonPosts: 71
    Founder's Edition finally closed that gap to partner models. Impressive. The card is also quite efficient, when it comes to undervolting. Saving 100W at 2700MhZ is nothing to scoff at.
  • ShutaraShutara Member UncommonPosts: 140
    What is the point of reviewing if You do not run it through GW2/BDO @4k on highest settings in a bossfight?
    SensaiIceAge
  • AngrakhanAngrakhan Member EpicPosts: 1,121
    Honestly I wasn't expecting the benchmark actuals to be that high. Might reconsider if/ when I pull the trigger on one of these. However I'm not in a big hurry. My 2080 ti still runs everything I play just fine.
  • lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 543
    Angrakhan said:
    Honestly I wasn't expecting the benchmark actuals to be that high. Might reconsider if/ when I pull the trigger on one of these. However I'm not in a big hurry. My 2080 ti still runs everything I play just fine.
    Honestly, I had to double and triple check the numbers in many of these tests. 

If you're still running a 2080 Ti and want *the best* out now, this is a compelling upgrade. But there are still the RTX 4080s, as well as whatever AMD is doing with its upcoming cards, so there is plenty of time to mull options. 

But like, if you want the best, this is it right now. It's a true next-gen leap.
  • SplattrSplattr Member RarePosts: 537

Iselin said:

I would expect any uptick in console sales in the near future to be due to availability during the Christmas season, not the price of a 4090. I think it is realistic to say that someone would choose a console over a low-end PC because of price and performance, but I find it hard to believe that anyone will look at the price of a 4090 and automatically downgrade their purchase decision to a console, just like I'm not rushing out to buy a console because a Ryzen 7950X or Intel 12900 cost $700.

PC gaming always has, and always will be more expensive than console. There may be a pool of gamers that bridge the gap, but PC and console are almost two separate hobbies at this point, at least in my house and circle of friends.
    edited October 2022
    Splattr said:
    PC gaming always has, and always will be more expensive than console. 
    Yes, it has and the PC performance advantage used to be crystal clear and not just with the top-of-the-line gear.

Since consoles started using standard PC parts 2 generations ago. The performance gap narrowed while console prices stayed pretty well the same and PC graphics card prices, mostly due to the crypto shit, went up and up to the point that Nvidia now seems to be setting price points for the 4xxx cards influenced by what crypto did for the 3xxx prices.

I mean give your head a shake, $1500+ for just a graphics card when $500 consoles do an equal or better job running games than anything but the xx80 and up.

(EDIT: DELETED the video which is likely a dishonest comparison.)

The performance gap has narrowed significantly between PCs and consoles while the cost of graphics cards has gone bonkers.

Whether this actually has an effect on market share is pure whimsical speculation on my part but IMO, thanks to Nvidia, unless AMD forces them to lower prices, may just be pushing some who have never considered a console seriously to start doing so.
    Post edited by Iselin on

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    If you look at the comments from that video it says it was a lie.
    Chamber of Chains
    edited October 2022
    cheyane said:
    If you look at the comments from that video it says it was a lie.
    Yeah, you're right. I read the comments (even the ones in Spanish which I also speak and read :) ) and it does seem bogus getting those high FPS on games that are capped on the Xbox X.

I'll remove it.
    cheyane

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 565
    Here's an interesting review, especially the part about what happens when you lower the power draw of the card. Very interesting indeed.

Asm0deusIceAge
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    I saw a video of the ROG Strix 4090. It was massive as big as a PS5. Heres to hoping a 4070 will fit my case because i really dont feel like assembling my pc in a new case.
  • SplattrSplattr Member RarePosts: 537

To sum up what we've learned today, kiddies: 

TIL that all Nvidia graphics cards wear high heels?
    maskedweasel
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Ridrith said:

Iselin said:

Not even remotely true. The only people who are going to be looking to purchase these cards are the tech nerds who can't help themselves but to think they need the absolute latest cards for reasons (despite hardly ever using them to their full potential), professionals who want a great card for gaming/workstation, or just professional gamers.

Arc also came out of Intel and it has its uses, there's a lot of fascinating information out there about that card. Not to mention the new AMD cards are out there on the horizon.
    The problem isn't that the high end is $1600.  The problem is that the mid-range is now $900 instead of the traditional $300 or $400 or so.

The GeForce RTX 3060 is a fine mid-range card with a $330 MSRP and a 276 mm^2 die size.  Its replacement in the new generation is the GeForce RTX 4080 12 GB with a slightly larger 294.5 mm^2 die size and a $900 MSRP.

That $900 is probably going to fall precipitously and be closer to $400 soon.  But if $900 for a mid-range GPU becomes the new norm, then PC gaming is going to be in deep trouble.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Anti-spamming to bring what we were talking about before the spam attack back to the top of Recent Discussions.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823
    This thread sounds like "back in my day you could get a bowl of soup, a cup of coffee and a slice of apple pie for a nickel".

New thing meant for enthusiast members of a luxury hobby is expensive? Shocker.
    IselinScotIceAgeSplattr