Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Future of MMORPGs - 5 Features That Will Change the Genre | MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    cheyane said:
    Qbertq said:
    From the time I started going to the arcade and playing qbert, joust and the like to playing my first Atari games like pitfall, grand prix and other, I've looked forward to what was coming.  The enthusiasm of childhood has or course diminished somewhat.  Great graphics sound and such is kind of expected now.  Back then, there was more of a frontier atmosphere with these things.  

However, I still look forward to see what is coming.  Reading the forums, I think I'm the only person who looks forward to owning my own little digi-plot or lane and getting a house, farm and raise a few digi-pets.  I look forward to mixed reality, and anything else they throw at me.  Some will stick and some won't.

From what I've found, the legions or innovations aren't good or bad.  It's the implementation that determines good v evil.

Come future, I'm looking forward to you.
    You aren't the only one. I see this "frontier" happening in VR and I still get that "it's gonna be great when someone hits that sweet spot" feeling when I hear of new games.

Sadly, some people are inexplicably against the entire concept of VR, which makes no sense to me. I am still hopeful.
    It isn't about being against it but more the fact that for me I am quite afraid of it. This total disconnect from the real world is to put it frankly terrifying for me and not a state I ever want to be in. 

I have so many things going on there is never a time I can simply spend a few hours completely oblivious to what is going on about me while I play and immerse myself in a virtual reality. It isn't practical.

Even in movies the way I have seen VR it seems just a terrible disconnect and inability to react and interact with the real world while you're in VR. The whole apparatus covering your eyes is already a big red sign for me. I am merely relating why I cannot get excited about VR. I am not speaking for anyone else.

It may not make sense to you but these are real concerns.
    Oddly enough, that is my biggest obstacle when I play VR... setting aside the "do nothing but game" time. Part of that is due to having dedicated a VR room that is upstairs, at the far end of a fairly large house (empty nester). If you need anything from me when I'm playing VR, you have to stick your head into the room and yell at me. Part of me feels bad completely "checking out" like that.

That said, I have grown comfortable telling my wife "I'm going upstairs to the VR room for a bit if you need me". She now does the same, just less often.

Also, both of my HMDs have off ear headphones, meaning the earphones sit about an inch away from my ear (but still sound great), so I can hear a bit of what's going on, such as one of my dogs walking in and laying at my feet when I forget to close the door. It isn't terribly hard to do a quick tilt of the headset to look around. Some headsets you can actually see own the nose line a decent amount.

That said, VR gaming is significantly more physically strenuous than sitting at a computer. While you may get to a place where you want to game for hours, the first month or so it will be more like 30 minutes to an hour session, during which time you become much more adept at tracking the outside environment.

Truth be told, it sounds like you could use a little disconnect...lol
    You know in the films when the kids come back home and get all nostalgic about their old stuff which is still in their bedroom? "Oh sorry...we needed a dedicated VR room so had to clear your stuff". :D
    AmarantharUngoodultimateduck
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    Just develop a good AI. If im killing mobs in a village, I want those dudes to hold a town hall then come after me in a witch hunt. All the other crap aint gonna make good games.
    ultimateduck
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    A good AI makes PvP irrelevant.  Someday we won’t be able to distinguish between an NPC or player 
    Groqstrong

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited October 2022
    A good AI makes PvP irrelevant.  Someday we won’t be able to distinguish between an NPC or player 
    Many won't play PVP centric games now because they have little chance of winning.

Were npc AI's set to emulate human PVP behavior, something they really could do quite well today, I'd venture to say a good percentage of gamers would never play again.

Face it, most people want to win, well, not the Dark Souls / Rogue like crowd, but those folks are a minority.

Post edited by Kyleran on
    UngoodTacticalZombehScot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited October 2022
    1. Sorry to break it to you but the vast majority of gamers and especially casual gamers, don't want to strap something to their head and move around the room to play games.
    2. The repetitiveness and boredom is not because of quest text and stories. That is the least needed use of AI in gaming. Intelligently designed, semi-random changes to encounters? Now we're talking.
    3. There has always been a minority of gamers that have engaged in RMT and they're fully in on all this NFT and crypto shit. The vast majority of us want nothing to do with it and never did.
    4. Lol.
    5. Is already becoming a thing to a limited extent and with improvements to the infrastructure this definitely could become a bigger thing, but I have serious doubts that it will ever become THE thing. It'll be a nice budget and mobile option for a good chunk of gamers but I don't see old-fashioned games on device gaming going away any time soon/
    Kyleranmaskedweasel
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Regarding number 4, advertising, imagine if they let corporations sponsor in game features or structures, like is done with sports stadiums or office buildings in real life?

Coca Cola Pass, Tampax Spires, Skittles Rainbow Beach?

Or even real world political attack adverts on flashing billboards by the roadsides?

Yep, another idea which needs to 

AmarantharAsm0deusUngoodTacticalZombehultimateduck

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Iselin said:
    1. Sorry to break it to you but the vast majority of gamers and especially casual gamers, don't want to strap something to their head and move around the room to play games.
    2. The repetitiveness and boredom is not because of quest text and stories. That is the least needed use of AI in gaming. Intelligently designed, semi-random changes to encounters? Now we're talking.
    3. There has always been a minority of gamers that have engaged in RMT and they're fully in on all this NFT and crypto shit. The vast majority of us want nothing to do with it and never did.
    4. Lol.
    5. Is already becoming a thing to a limited extent and with improvements to the infrastructure this definitely could become a bigger thing, but I have serious doubts that it will ever become THE thing. It'll be a nice budget and mobile option for a good chunk of gamers but I don't see old-fashioned games on device gaming going away any time soon/
    I think misunderstanding GPT 3 and its abilities would be a severe misstep. 

Right now GPT 3 can be used to craft stories and speech. But GPT 3 can also take prompts, and simple programming of its own. It can process both input and output information based on hardcoded information. That means it could be used to either tell a story of something that has already happened in game, but also it can generate events within a game when it executes a phrase. 

But more importantly, it means that each NPC can appear unique, and hold personal history. That means that you could hold conversations with an NPC like you were talking to another person, and the output could reliably remain in the context of the game, like you're roleplaying. Then conceivably your conversation could potentially trigger a personal quest, or find out information about a world quest. 

If you've ever tried GPT 3 games, they can be tuned to be as obtuse or direct as they make it. I can see gpt 3 MMOs happening and becoming pretty popular, especially with so many people who hate grouping with other players, but I bet they would group with npcs that act like humans without a second thought.

But as for AR games, I bet when consumer sets get smaller and less obtrusive more gamers will be using them instead of monitors. Why wouldn't they? 

I bet that if number 5 happens, we would see a lot more people willing to try number 1 if all they needed to do was stream the game to a pair of glasses and hold a controller.
    Iselineoloeultimateduck

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

But as for AR games, I bet when consumer sets get smaller and less obtrusive more gamers will be using them instead of monitors. Why wouldn't they? 

I bet that if number 5 happens, we would see a lot more people willing to try number 1 if all they needed to do was stream the game to a pair of glasses and hold a controller.
    Yeah. In their self-driving hover cars.

:)
    Kyleranmaskedweasel
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Iselin said:

Yeah. In their self-driving hover cars.

:)
    Bought with Dogecoin!
    Kyleranmaskedweasel

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Ok reading the List.

1) VR.

Hell yah, this is going to be the next gen of gaming in general, and MMO's are legit the perfect platform for this interface to excel. Either by VR or AR, this will be the next level of gaming, and doubly for MMO's

2) Advanced AI.

This is a bit of a trip, I mean ideally, smarter NPC's and AI, does not need to equate to harder mobs, I wager it could work like how a chess program can play a few games with you, and then see where your skill level is, and adapt as you preform to provide a continuous challenge at your level, as opposed to the current fixed setting. Like imagine a Limbo Contest where the Bar moves to fit the skill of the person passing under it, as opposed to a fixed bar of pass or fail.

That could be some really good use of AI, not to mention, smarter AI, could make for a living world, where the NPC's change, grow old, build homes, etc, etc, and the landscape changes they adapt to it, making a truly living world.

3) I've always loved the idea of being able to own my character, like being able to import a character from one game into another, like taking my Dwarven Cleric in EQ, and playing DDO with it, and then being able to move them to GW2, where they will be processed into a Norn Guardian or something.

Just the idea of being able to own your identity across game worlds is such a cool idea, not sure how it would happen, but it would super cool if it could happen.

4) Ad Supported Monetization. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I am amazed this not already a thing, and even doubly so for "Modern" setting games, like cyberpunk, where the adverts that are put in for ambiance are not real adverts with companies paying for them.

I could also see logo's for players to use, that if they splattered the Coca-Cola Emblem all over their character, they get a Monthly Game Store Token Allocation, as long as they do not get much in the way of reports, too much negative press and they lose that endorsement.

I am also fine with streamers having endorsement logos on their toons, like Nascar Racers, why not! Lets make this happen people.

5) Cloud Hosted Games.

No real opnion on this one as I have no idea what real impact it would have.
    Kyleranultimateduck
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    I am not interested in anything on the list, I want GAMEPLAY. The cloud thing is nice I suppose, but everything else is irrelevant, and I don't care if a game is P2W or monetized, just give me something fun and good for once
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Scot said:
    cheyane said:
    Qbertq said:
    From the time I started going to the arcade and playing qbert, joust and the like to playing my first Atari games like pitfall, grand prix and other, I've looked forward to what was coming.  The enthusiasm of childhood has or course diminished somewhat.  Great graphics sound and such is kind of expected now.  Back then, there was more of a frontier atmosphere with these things.  

However, I still look forward to see what is coming.  Reading the forums, I think I'm the only person who looks forward to owning my own little digi-plot or lane and getting a house, farm and raise a few digi-pets.  I look forward to mixed reality, and anything else they throw at me.  Some will stick and some won't.

From what I've found, the legions or innovations aren't good or bad.  It's the implementation that determines good v evil.

Come future, I'm looking forward to you.
    You aren't the only one. I see this "frontier" happening in VR and I still get that "it's gonna be great when someone hits that sweet spot" feeling when I hear of new games.

Sadly, some people are inexplicably against the entire concept of VR, which makes no sense to me. I am still hopeful.
    It isn't about being against it but more the fact that for me I am quite afraid of it. This total disconnect from the real world is to put it frankly terrifying for me and not a state I ever want to be in. 

I have so many things going on there is never a time I can simply spend a few hours completely oblivious to what is going on about me while I play and immerse myself in a virtual reality. It isn't practical.

Even in movies the way I have seen VR it seems just a terrible disconnect and inability to react and interact with the real world while you're in VR. The whole apparatus covering your eyes is already a big red sign for me. I am merely relating why I cannot get excited about VR. I am not speaking for anyone else.

It may not make sense to you but these are real concerns.
    I think if you can put an hour aside for gaming, you can put an hour aside for VR. That assumes you are not doing phones calls, texts and telling the husband the bin needs emptying while playing a game. Maybe our gamer girls are going to have to put this old adage on hold "a women's work is never done", so they can have the time and space to play a VR game. ;)
    I am not sure but from I understand there is some disorientation even after you stop playing. Not sure how long that state lasts. So you think you're hopping in and out but with my motion sickness problems I doubt it is as easy as you describe. Don't forget that you need the setup the space and the boundaries so you don't go bang into a wall. How can all that be something you hop in and out in one hour?
    Chamber of Chains
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    Scot said:
    You know in the films when the kids come back home and get all nostalgic about their old stuff which is still in their bedroom? "Oh sorry...we needed a dedicated VR room so had to clear your stuff". :D
    My kid games and actually does content for VR devs. She gets it. 

But yes, pretty much this. Luckily, we have extra rooms.

Iselin said:
    The same can be said for computer gaming. That a vast majority of gamers, especially casual gamers, don't want to buy an expensive computer and sit in front of a small screen.

The fact is most people mentally check out from their surroundings when they game. Someone could have a full conversation with you that you paid zero attention to because your eyes are glued to your screen and your headphones drown out outside noises.

The big difference is, VR is insanely immersive. If you're going to check out, VR is definitely a better way to do it.

So, I will counter your comment with this. A vast majority of gamers, even casual ones, will want to strap something to their head and move around the room to play games because it's that much better.
  • ChampieChampie Member UncommonPosts: 169
    edited October 2022