Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Playerbase

saydursaydur Member UncommonPosts: 185

Ever since my days with Telnet and a MUD, to modern day mega-MMOs, I've wanted to find games with a good playerbase.  Trouble is, this is the most difficult thing to find in an MMO, without question.

It seems that the more popular an MMO gets, the worse the playerbase becomes.  Runescape, while always full of misguided youth, had features such as easy private messaging, people who'd talk, and a variable economy based on supply and demand instead of prices almost set it in stone.  Ragnarok Online had a decent community in early beta days, where many people would talk as well as play well together.  FungWan Online had an excellent PvP system for a relatively simple game, and the population was just proper size for cohesive large clans.  Aside from FungWan, I'm not terribly interested in PvP if only for the ego-stroking contests it instigates.

I haven't been able to find an MMO with a decent playerbase since.  I tend to find the decent players in a game, but it often falls apart due to the entire group losing patience with the community.  I want your suggestions for an MMO with a decent playerbase that isn't focused hardcore on doing things in a specific, rigid manner designed for most profit.

Bonuses- Groups/guilds that are sociable and likable with decent gamers, a large world for exploration and not overcrowded for fighting/resources as to encourage rampant camping, noncombat professions are encouraged- no macrofests please, and relatively young MMOs with a lot of new blood coming in constantly are preferred.

Please, anything that even starts on this path would be nice.

Comments

• Hybrid-LordHybrid-Lord Member Posts: 110

I'de sudjest EVE online...

But that's just cause i'm getting into it again.
    Worth a check though.

• theanimedudetheanimedude Member UncommonPosts: 1,610

Originally posted by saydur

Ever since my days with Telnet and a MUD, to modern day mega-MMOs, I've wanted to find games with a good playerbase. Trouble is, this is the most difficult thing to find in an MMO, without question.It seems that the more popular an MMO gets, the worse the playerbase becomes. Runescape, while always full of misguided youth, had features such as easy private messaging, people who'd talk, and a variable economy based on supply and demand instead of prices almost set it in stone. Ragnarok Online had a decent community in early beta days, where many people would talk as well as play well together. FungWan Online had an excellent PvP system for a relatively simple game, and the population was just proper size for cohesive large clans. Aside from FungWan, I'm not terribly interested in PvP if only for the ego-stroking contests it instigates.I haven't been able to find an MMO with a decent playerbase since. I tend to find the decent players in a game, but it often falls apart due to the entire group losing patience with the community. I want your suggestions for an MMO with a decent playerbase that isn't focused hardcore on doing things in a specific, rigid manner designed for most profit.Bonuses- Groups/guilds that are sociable and likable with decent gamers, a large world for exploration and not overcrowded for fighting/resources as to encourage rampant camping, noncombat professions are encouraged- no macrofests please, and relatively young MMOs with a lot of new blood coming in constantly are preferred.Please, anything that even starts on this path would be nice.

Your perfect game is The Saga of Ryzom.

Levels are in 4 tiers, which split as you gain levels. Fighting, Magic, Harvesting, Crafting. Once you gain to level 20 in one, it splits. Fighting > Melee/Range, Magic > Offensive/Defensive, Harvesting > Forage, Crafting > Armor Crafting, Weapon Crafting, Jewel Crafting, etc. Then at 50 they split again into specific weapons, different trees etc.

The playerbase is phenomenal. Great, helpful players, lots of guilds. Levels aren't really a huge goal in Ryzom, more faction building, and outposts, or whatever interests you. If you wanted, you could play the game from start to finish without fighting one battle, jsut leveling harvesting or crafting (although you would suffer a disadvantage of not having tons of defense for creeps).

Either way, it is kind of a hard game to break into, but it definately satisfies all your criteria.

For new blood, Ryzom Ring (player created content) is coming soon, and will bring an insurgence of new players into the game once again.

Best of luck
    ::::20::

• ExclamExclam Member Posts: 72
    Not quite an MMO, but everyone meets in lobbies and then you join a game with other people. Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst has the best community that I've played in. Everyone chats in the lobbies and in game with each other. Lots of good memories from that game...