Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NCSoft Shows off Throne & Liberty Internal Beta Footage and Launches a 'Play Novel' Map Full of Lore

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2022 in News & Features Discussion

imageNCSoft Shows off Throne & Liberty Internal Beta Footage and Launches a 'Play Novel' Map Full of Lore to Explore | MMORPG.com

NCSoft is showing off some internal beta testing for Throne & Liberty. They've also rolled out a new story map taking us into some new details of the game's setting, characters, and lore.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited September 2022
    Looks really good; lets pray it isn't another NCsoft terrible launch. It reminds me of updated GW2 with the community dungeons, but on a grander scale. It looks like large scale pvp is gonna be a zerg mess, which I kind of like. I loved the huge zergs in gw2 when more people played. Nothing was more fun then seeing a sea of red heading towards your keep and wondering if we could fight them off xD.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    only a few skills? ugh
  • OG_SolareusOG_Solareus Member RarePosts: 1,041
    Looks awesome, can't wait for Lineage 3 ;)
    Sovrathjnugget173
  • SmashembroSmashembro Member UncommonPosts: 18
    FUCK YOU bring back Tabular Rasa so many people want the game back so far the shit you have released is just that SHIT!
    GatsuZerkHengistRemaliAeanderRoinIceAgeKidRisk
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Looking really good.
    Sovrath
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SmashembroSmashembro Member UncommonPosts: 18
    you want my money you don't want me to sub to WoW then bring back Tabular Rasa the best game i ever played and stop fucking about just suck it up bring it back i will pay you my monthly fee you want the cash then do the right thing even if you don''t want to advance the game just bring it back as it was i can settle for that i will play my ass off i now have a comp that will make that game something i can enjoy for now and beyond please bring it back i will pay
    RoinKidRisk
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    I'm totally in!
    GroqstrongPetitSoldatIceAge
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282
    Pretty much any video can make a game look good, lol, how many times have we all watched trailers, or previews, and thought "this game is awesome, can't miss" only to find out that the video showed the best and only good parts in a game?

That said it does look really good, and without a doubt the genre could really use some fresh blood. Definitely moved to the "Watching" list, and want to find out more about it.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited September 2022

Warlyx said:

only a few skills? ugh

Someone was also a clicker in that video too..(:38 seconds in)....oh the horror. I don't think fewer slill buttons is a big deal as long as it's fun, fluid and give good feedback when using skills. It reminds me of New World, BDO, which can be fun once you get the pattern of the class you play down.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282
    Tiller said:

Warlyx said:

only a few skills? ugh

Someone was also a clicker in that video too..(:38 seconds in)....oh the horror. I don't think fewer slill buttons is a big deal as long as it's fun, fluid and give good feedback when using skills. It reminds me of New World, BDO, which can be fun once you get the pattern of the class you play down.

The lack of skills used to bother me in games. The truth is, the last few games I've put significant hours into (New World and ESO) I've still been able to build capable, and enjoyable characters with less available skills. It's not the skill, it's that I'm forced to make some choices.

Yeah, I know there will always be a meta, and one way that works out to be better than others, but somehow I think less available skills is less a detriment than I used to think. I was definitely wrong.
    Sovrath
  • DattelisDattelis Member RarePosts: 1,455
    edited September 2022
    I'm in the 'wait and see' camp. GW2 monetization has been less aggressive compared to other NCSoft titles, but its still NCSoft behind this one at the end of the day. So just as they could go a GW2 type of monetization, they could easily got a BnS/Lineage 2 type of monetization as well....And monetization can ruin any 'good' game (people who experienced Archeage can attest to this).
    RemaliRoin
  • GatsuZerkGatsuZerk Member UncommonPosts: 137

Dattelis said:

I'm in the 'wait and see' camp. GW2 monetization has been less aggressive compared to other NCSoft titles, but its still NCSoft behind this one at the end of the day. So just as they could go a GW2 type of monetization, they could easily got a BnS/Lineage 2 type of monetization as well....And monetization can ruin any 'good' game (people who experienced Archeage can attest to this).

You're delusional if you think this game won't be absolutely P2W like Lineage or BnS.
    edited September 2022
    GatsuZerk said:

Dattelis said:

You're delusional if you think this game won't be absolutely P2W like Lineage or BnS.
    What method of P2W do Lineage and BnS use? Outright sale of better gear? Cash shop items needed for a reasonable chance to upgrade gear? Something else?

Genuinely curious since I have played neither.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    Looks good but they are a big company of course they can make nice vids
    Cautiosly optimistic on this one
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    This is a day 1 for me.

On a side note anyone else do a double take on the face coverings?

On a side note anyone else do a double take on the face coverings?
    Yeah, I liked them. More sociable since you can see facial expressions through the transparent part.

Stands to reason that SEA would be on the bleeding edge of mask styling since using them has been very common there for decades.
    DinastySovrath

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• InconvenientTruthInconvenientTruth Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    The interface is a mess, the performance is atrocious, the combat is DISAPPOINTING for a modern game (2023). What has been shown so far seems to bring no originality, very generic. The only thing missing was the option to complete missions automatically. What are these Koreans doing?
  • jnugget173jnugget173 Member UncommonPosts: 22
    this looks so good
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited September 2022
    The "Play Novel" has bare bones snippets of lore nothing more, the combat seems very action based, ie. simple. But the graphics and combat look very good and the story is apparently quite prominent in game. So definitely keeping an eye on this one.
    Post edited by Scot on
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    The interface is a mess, the performance is atrocious, the combat is DISAPPOINTING for a modern game (2023). What has been shown so far seems to bring no originality, very generic. The only thing missing was the option to complete missions automatically. What are these Koreans doing?
    Welcome to the forums! :)

Until we see a launch and reviews, we can't really be sure how this one will turn out. Personally, I do not play betas or early access and never buy/play before the reviews are in. As this is a MMO I nearly always wait for a few months in from launch for the teething problems to be sorted. For example, ESO sorted out their UI problems some two months after launch, it can pay to wait.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

It looks like an action version of Lineage 2. I believe this is from the original designs of Lineage 3 so that makes sense.

Quite frankly that's ok with me.
    Roin
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Fewer skills is a good thing as long as it means more difficult choices in picking which skills you take (as in Guild Wars 1). Depth is in the decisions you make, not how many buttons you press.

And this game looks good, honestly.
    Sovrath
  • TheDalaiBombaTheDalaiBomba Member EpicPosts: 1,493
    Not my style nor my design.  Hopefully those that enjoy that will have a new game to enjoy, but unless there's a *lot* of virtual world hidden underneath what I've seen and read so far, I will be giving this one a pass.

By the end of 2023 Darktide, Hogwarts Legacy, Redfall, Arc Raiders, System Shock remake, Alan Wake 2, and GoW:Ragnarok will be out just to name a few, and I can get my fix of action combat in those games far better than in any MMORPG.  And those games will very likely have far better narratives to follow, to boot.

About the only thing that interests me is the large-scale PvP, but even then I have Squad, Hell Let Loose, Chiv2, and even Foxhole to fill that void.  And it won't be simple zerging.
  • HerithiusHerithius Member UncommonPosts: 219
    I enjoyed L2 back in the day so this has gotten my interest.
    Sovrath
  • KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608
    edited September 2022
    Looks amazing. I really hope this one turns out a great. Let's hope we get a decent publisher!