Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dual Universe Launches Today, Has All The Typical Launch Woes | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2022 in News & Features Discussion

imageDual Universe Launches Today, Has All The Typical Launch Woes | MMORPG.com

Dual Universe finally launches out of early access today, bringing the sandbox sci-fi title to players on PC.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Rushed the launch on the state of a hollow husk, idk how can this game perform worse than star citizen at the fraction of the visual quality.

Absolutely not ready, with a subscription on top to play just can't see the game having any success. What a waste...
  • AngrakhanAngrakhan Member EpicPosts: 1,162
    Either way, Dual Universe is facing the same issues that pretty much every live service game has when it launches fully: dealing with scale.

What? According to the steam charts this game hit a massive day 1 concurrency of 633 players. If it's already having issues "dealing with scale" at those numbers, they need to stop billing this as an MMO.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Angrakhan said:

Either way, Dual Universe is facing the same issues that pretty much every live service game has when it launches fully: dealing with scale.

What? According to the steam charts this game hit a massive day 1 concurrency of 633 players. If it's already having issues "dealing with scale" at those numbers, they need to stop billing this as an MMO.

I think many players are using the DU launcher rather than Steam so the numbers are probably higher.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 555

Kyleran said:

Angrakhan said:

I think many players are using the DU launcher rather than Steam so the numbers are probably higher.

Yea, keep in mind the majority of backers who have been playing during the alpha and beta/Early Access period are going to be on the DU launcher itself, not the Steam launcher. So don't put weight into the Steam release as the "end all be all" of the playerbase.

That said, the Steam release seeing under 1K concurrent users should still be concerning considering Steam is the most prominent storefront on PC and this is where many new users will hop in. Likely the confusion over the price, the subscription model and the negative reviews are affecting this, though.
    TokkenDigDuggyKyleranMendel[Deleted User]
  • UwakionnaUwakionna Member RarePosts: 1,139
    Gimme a minute. I gotta practice pretending to be surprised.
    kitaradKyleranJeroKaneScot
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Only typical if you are Dual Universe *snicker*
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Had a lot of dupes/exploits during alpha and beta. Let's see if it tops New World in the number of cheats :)
    HengistJeroKane
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SophusVir33SophusVir33 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    I do notice it only has around 200 people watching it be played in Twitch currently.
  • HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

Iselin said:

Had a lot of dupes/exploits during alpha and beta. Let's see if it tops New World in the number of cheats :)

Lol, not entirely sure that is possible.

New World seems to be setting new records, or at least navigating whole new directions in the effort to become the most buggy, exploitable world out there. Go big or go home!

(Still really is a shame, because the game underneath has some really nice legs to it.)
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    lotrlore said:
    That said, the Steam release seeing under 1K concurrent users should still be concerning considering Steam is the most prominent storefront on PC and this is where many new users will hop in. Likely the confusion over the price, the subscription model and the negative reviews are affecting this, though.
    That's exactly the thing, the sub will kill the game, and steam is already under drama because people buy the game as it only tells it will need a subscription on a description note.

While that drama is probably going to make many wtf in a month who didn't read the full description, the mere fact it requires the sub is plain opressive for anything else but decay of the game over time. 
    Tokken
  • cyriciancyrician Member UncommonPosts: 189
    250$ kickstarted back in the day.

Still can't access error 112.

Last time I kick-starter a game.

They ran out of money and got greedy.

Atleaste I played 1000 hours during beta.

Such a shame they botched it.
    Kyleran

Current games;
    Star treck online
    Rift
    Eve online
    Firefall

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Hengist said:

Iselin said:

New World seems to be setting new records, or at least navigating whole new directions in the effort to become the most buggy, exploitable world out there. Go big or go home!

(Still really is a shame, because the game underneath has some really nice legs to it.)
    I wasn't really serious. For one thing, NW had over 900,000 peak concurrent players at one time. I'd be very surprised if DU ever achieves even 1/10th of that. They'll probably be closer to 1/100th. The more people playing it, the more glitches and exploits that are found.

I think NW's rep is safe :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282
    Iselin said:
    Hengist said:

Iselin said:

I wasn't really serious. For one thing, NW had over 900,000 peak concurrent players at one time. I'd be very surprised if DU ever achieves even 1/10th of that. They'll probably be closer to 1/100th. The more people playing it, the more glitches and exploits that are found.

I know you weren't, and it just made me laugh though!

Is it me, or is it strange that almost 25 years after MMO's started going "mainstream" with titles like UO and EQ, that they all still have the same similar launch day issues, and all of them seem to launch without a patina of polish?

Someday...maybe...I keep hoping someone will make a point of either quashing more bugs pre-launch, or at least being more prepared for a launch day.

Okay...lol, that's funny thinking too...never happen!
  • DigDuggyDigDuggy Member RarePosts: 641
    I've started the tutorial and looking forward to exploring this game. Launch issues are par for the course. So far, in the tutorial at least, I haven't noticed anything, but early days. It looks like there is gonna be a definite learning curve, but that's ok. Lately, it seems the goal is to make things as easy as possible. It'll be kinda refreshing to have to think a bit and actually have to dig into some of the mechanics (as long as it isn't tooooo steep.

Time will tell, but it seems to have some pretty neat systems and ideas. Hopefully it pans out.
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    I am sure all 17 people playing this game are deeply upset
    Ungood
  • AlexanderVendiAlexanderVendi Member UncommonPosts: 375
    There was soooo much hype behind this project.. sad:/
  • DigDuggyDigDuggy Member RarePosts: 641
    Celcius said:
    I am sure all 17 people playing this game are deeply upset
    Woot, me and the other 16 are happy.  We take these things in stride.  We're hoping for an 18th...just to make it even.
  • PARTIESPLAYINPARTIESPLAYIN Member UncommonPosts: 55
    I was thinking of selling my lifetime sub to dual universe. Tried it in the beta and it just wasn't for me.
  • Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292

I was thinking of selling my lifetime sub to dual universe. Tried it in the beta and it just wasn't for me.

If you can make a good enough sales pitch, I might be willing to pay $14.99 for a lifetime sub....
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815

Iselin said:

Hengist said:

Iselin said:

I even heard NW concurrent users are on a uptick as of late.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    An oddly compelling, hour long existential breakdown...

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance