Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls Online's Year Long Story Ends With Firesong, Coming November 1st | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2022 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe Elder Scrolls Online's Year Long Story Ends With Firesong, Coming November 1st | MMORPG.com

The year-long Legacy of the Bretons storyline ZeniMax has been weaving this year in the Elder Scrolls Online will come to a close in November, as the DLC Firesong releases on PC, Mac, and Stadia on November 1st. Console players will be waiting till November 15th.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Maybe stop making new shit and fix the gazillion bugs in your game.
    Nanfoodle
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Syphin_BSyphin_B Member UncommonPosts: 340
    It's the same stuff over and over and over, nothing new.

Viper482OldKingLogElronir

Syphin_B said:

It's the same stuff over and over and over, nothing new.

Yep. ZOS is absolute shit. They basically create these shallow "new" things so they can add new stuff to the Crown Store. The entire game revolves around it.
    OldKingLog
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Almost a useless stream because they went way too far the other way with "no spoilers."

It's part 2 story content for "The Legacy of the Bretons" and part 1 ended in a cliffhanger with the two main threads (peace talks and leader of the baddies) left unfinished, but the preview doesn't even mention part 1 except to say that if you do both High Isle and this, there will be "bonus content."

I guess we'll know soon enough since it goes on the PTS Monday.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    This is the best and worst MMO I have played. They got so much right. More then most MMOs. But this game is like a house on fire and instead of dealing with it they keep building new wings.
    HengistOldKingLogViper482
  • HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282
    edited September 2022
    Nanfoodle said:
    This is the best and worst MMO I have played. They got so much right. More then most MMOs. But this game is like a house on fire and instead of dealing with it they keep building new wings.

Totally agree.

What I always find ridiculous is that people criticize them for not doing something totally different. The reality is that it's a successful game because of it's formula, and honestly it's probably not wise from them to divert too far from that. 

To me, it's kind of like the idea that in WoW I see that they are saying that the horde and the alliance no longer need to fight, they are all doing the same thing....ummmm...okay? Change one of the things that has defined your game for years upon years, and personally I've got no interest in ever going back to it. (Although I recognize that it doesn't matter to others.)

I'd tried ESO so many times in the past, and finally clicked for me this year. I'm not foolish enough to think it's perfect, or bug free, and while I've done a ton of the content, I also recognize that it's plenty of cut and paste from previous ones. Thing is, it's still all pretty solid content. Will it wear off, or get old? Hell yes, but that's when I'll take a break, and come back later on. 

I had to laugh at the Gazillion bugs...ever tried New World? (Not you Nan...lol, sorry, shouldn't have quoted you, and addressed the earlier post!) Guessing no, because if you had, you'd realize that there is a gold standard for gazillion bugs, and ESO isn't even close, in fact, it's probably one of the polar opposites on the MMO spectrum...
    Viper482Iselin
  • OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 564
    Nanfoodle said:

Its the Winchester House of games.
    edited September 2022

Hengist said:

Nanfoodle said:

Totally agree.

What I always find ridiculous is that people criticize them for not doing something I had to laugh at the Gazillion bugs...ever tried New World? (Not you Nan...lol, sorry, shouldn't have quoted you, and addressed the earlier post!) Guessing no, because if you had, you'd realize that there is a gold standard for gazillion bugs, and ESO isn't even close, in fact, it's probably one of the polar opposites on the MMO spectrum...

Is this a fking New World thread? No. ESO has a gazillion bugs, perhaps if you stuck around all this time like I did you would know that. And I play New World as well....at least they appear to be trying to actually fix theirs. Just because you finally started liking the game doesn't change all the bs that has been going on since you were NOT playing. Don't come in here acting like you're the man who knows all now because you finally like the game. Imagine comparing a 1 year old game with 1 year old bugs to 8 year old game with 8 year old bugs. gtfo. Next time you want to call someone out on this forum (and yes I know you were referring to my post) get your shit in a sock first.
    Iselin
    edited September 2022
    Hengist said:

I had to laugh at the Gazillion bugs...ever tried New World? (Not you Nan...lol, sorry, shouldn't have quoted you, and addressed the earlier post!) Guessing no, because if you had, you'd realize that there is a gold standard for gazillion bugs, and ESO isn't even close, in fact, it's probably one of the polar opposites on the MMO spectrum...
    Totally agree.

It's not even the quantity of NW bugs but their severity and how badly all the goofy exploits impacted territory control and the humongous economic advantage that gave those who got and held on to territories by cheating (no cheat more goofy, powerful, and widespread than the one where you would just put the client in windowed mode, grabbing a border of the screen with your mouse and moving it constantly to delay all damage to you until you released it, which let you capture control points by holding it which is how many wars were won.)

It and all the dupes that went uncorrected is what has made many former players feel like they would only go back with a truly fresh start server, not just a new server that allows wealthy ex-cheaters to transfer in and bring their ill-gotten economic dominance with them.

I've been playing ESO on and off, but mostly on since it was released and yeah it has some old bugs still and had many, many more during its first year but it never had any that destroyed its integrity and credibility in any way comparable to what happened with NW bugs that absolutely did that.

NW by design placed just way too many of their cookies in the territory control basket which is contested by a simple 50 v. 50, 30-minute, capture the flags BG, and when that got routinely exploited, the credibility of the whole game went with it.

Now that is an example of major league extreme bugginess ruining a whole game. ESO's bugs are way down in the minor leagues as things that annoy you but don't destroy the whole game for everyone, by comparison. 
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Year long story? That sounds more like a nightmare than fun.
    McSleaz
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Watching some of the dev team in Twitter...they act like they are bored as hell, and they just don't care.

Honestly Microsoft needs to clean house...

Bill Slavicsek once was an amazing writer ..I have no clue what happened. It has to be that his hands are tied, I refuse to believe anything else
    They've been working on an unannounced, other MMO project for several years now--I kind of expected them to announce it at Quakecon this year but I guess it ain't ready for that yet. That's where their energy and excitement are and it shows.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• AngrakhanAngrakhan Member EpicPosts: 1,168
    ESO has some of the best writing I've seen in an MMO. There's some truly poignant moments in that game. I haven't played in years but I guess the quality has diminished. Anyway, even if the writing is fantastic I won't go back because the delivery is so formulaic. I swear they have a jar of dice and the just roll them to see what order to place their handful of different mission types in. Fill in the blanks in their stock quest dialogs and ship it.

Seriously it's going to be:

Go to this spot and loot/interact with these things that are near mobs that will agro you.

Now go kill these other mobs in this other place because [fill in blank]

Now go to some delve, kill everything in you way, and solve some puzzle to find out who is behind it all.

Shocker it's one of the key leaders in town! I would have never guessed!

Now go accuse said fiend who will magically get away. I can almost hear Scooby Doo saying "Rut roh Raggie!".

Go to the delve containing this nefarious monster and kill them.

Return to the cheers of the townfolk. You are the hero. Granted they all have short term memory loss and all forget this a few seconds later.

I mean seriously some variant of the above represents a large portion of the content in ESO. It was already old years ago. I don't need to run the same thing in a new zone with new names in the blanks.
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    I always have the feeling the developers didn't know which direction to take - ESO game or MMORPG.
    To me, it's always come across as a halfway house. Even in development they were going along with a traditional mouse movement and keyboard option, then decided to cut it to retain the ESO single player experience.
    I don't think they've ever solved a conundrum of their own making.