Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Games with Spears?

SabbythSabbyth Member UncommonPosts: 52
edited May 2021 in PC Gaming
Pretty self-explanatory!

I love spears and polearms but despite how common they are/were in the real world it's really disappointing seeing the lack of representation in video games. 

I'm looking for games where spears are viable and fun, bonus points if there are bows as well!  (My favorite hunting combination!)

Any genre/viewpoint/setting goes such at first person/third person/isometric, RPG, MMORPG, etc.

A few good ones I am definitely aware of: 
* FFXIV Lancer/Dragoon classes
* Outward
* Vermintide 2 (Love spear/bow combo on the elf)
* Mount and Blade series
* PoE series
* Chivalry
* War of the Roses
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."
— Shigeru Miyamoto
AlBQuirkyoli2907

Comments

• RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    Valheim has spears, polearms and bows...and knives, and swords, and axes, and maces, hammers and even a harpoon!
    AlBQuirkyUngood
    .05 of a second to midnight
  • SabbythSabbyth Member UncommonPosts: 52
    edited May 2021
    Rungar said:
    Valheim has spears, polearms and bows...and knives, and swords, and axes, and maces, hammers and even a harpoon!

I love Valheim but "spears" are more like javelins and the Atgeirs are rather unwieldy with high stamina drain, speed debuff and low block that makes it incredibly inefficient (as much as I want to love them).
    AlBQuirky
    — Shigeru Miyamoto
  • fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561
    edited May 2021
    Dark souls series has spears and bows, and you can equip both and switch between them.
    AlBQuirky
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Guild Wars
    AlBQuirky
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    GW2 has Spears, but they are Underwater Weapons.

DDO has Bladed Quarterstaffs, which are kinda like spears, and are a monk weapon.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Would you be willing to play and ancient, text-only MUD?
    UngoodAlBQuirky
    I'd give it a shot.
    AlBQuirky
    — Shigeru Miyamoto
    Ungood said:

DDO has Bladed Quarterstaffs, which are kinda like spears, and are a monk weapon.
    One of my biggest let-downs for GW2 was no spears on land!
    [Deleted User]UngoodAlBQuirky
    — Shigeru Miyamoto
    Sabbyth said:
    I'd give it a shot.
    Gemstone IV has a lot of weapon options, including spears and a variety of polearms.  One of the funniest combinations that works well is a halfling using a polearm!  If you do give it a try, I recommend doing it with the StormFront or Wizard front-end.  The browser based client is laggy and awful.

The game also has a ton of RP, if that's your thing.

https://www.play.net/gs4/
    SabbythUngoodAlBQuirky
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Depends on how you mean the representation is viable and fun when say
    Sabbyth said:
    I'm looking for games where spears are viable and fun, bonus points if there are bows as well!  (My favorite hunting combination!)
    Be present is enough, appropriate animations, or maybe even mechanics as well?
    If all, Chivalry is indeed a good place to start, in MMORPGs it rarely gets to that point.

With that said, LotRO has spears for several classes, warden also gets javelins and captain gets halberds (not polearm but close). Bows, to almost all classes.

AoC's polearm guardian is a strong and fun build, with decent mechanics as well (within MMORPG standard), wider sweep, good parry, etc.
    Bows available also to almost all classes (for pull/low ranged damage), but ranger has really fun combos with it.

HluillAlBQuirky
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Sabbyth said:
    Ungood said:

One of my biggest let-downs for GW2 was no spears on land!
    But they do have Staffs and both long and short bow.
    AlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited May 2021
    DAOC does this best IMO, relative to MMOs
    AlBQuirky
    Oh yeah that's true, LOTRO has spears.  My hunter always used a spear for melee and a bow for ranged.  And since you end up killing 10 million boars, spear seems even more appropriate!
    Ungood[Deleted User]Po_ggAlBQuirky
  • fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561
    Morrowind also has spears.
    GormogonAlBQuirky
  • Morgenes83Morgenes83 Member UncommonPosts: 286
    As for newer games coming out soon and which are somehow playable already.

- Mortal Online 2 has 2h spears which can also be used 1h with shield.

- Sword of Legends has a spearmaster class which may act as DPS or tank.

- New World will have spears as weapon.

AlBQuirkyUngood

1997 Meridian 59 'til 2019 ESO 

Waiting for Camelot Unchained & Pantheon

• GormogonGormogon Member UncommonPosts: 224
    The Baldur's Gate games have spears (1 and 2 anyway, not sure about 3).  They aren't meta, but you can use them.  They have halberds and bows as well, including some very powerful ones in BG2.

Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2.

Fallout 1 and 2.  They're just basic weapons; not really something you'd want to use any longer than you had to.

Across the Final Fantasy series, dragoons use a spear/lance, not just FFXIV.  Kain in FFIV, Cid in FFVII, Freya in FFIX, Kimahri in FFX, anybody who has the license in FFXII.

Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey allows your hominid ancestors to sharpen sticks and kill wild animals with them (combat sucks in that game, but it is the best weapon).

The Total War series has several unit types that use spears across the various games.
    AlBQuirkyUngood
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Age of Conan doesn't have spears? I dont remember its been so long since I played it.
    AlBQuirkyUngood
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    If you don't mind an early access game heavily weighted to PvP, Gloria Victis may be of interest to you. However, trying it out does require purchase.
    AlBQuirkyUngood
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Age of Conan doesn't have spears? I dont remember its been so long since I played it.
    Not really, for ranged there's bow and crossbow, the polearm for guards, and staff for casters - obviously not for martial art-ing with, but they can use it for some minimal melee damage :)

I believe there is spear among the thrown weapons (besides knives, thrown axes, etc.), but never used/crafted it personally.
    Maybe it's my loss, I just never got a grasp on that aspect of the game, besides a roleplay, cosmetic theme. For combat, the thrown weapons are pretty useless.
    AlBQuirkyUngood
  • Fractured_VeilFractured_Veil Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Valhalla has some nice spears. 
    AlBQuirkyUngood
    Survive and thrive in the deadly wilds of Maui 2122 https://discord.com/invite/fracturedveil
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited June 2021
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Mordhau
    AlBQuirky
  • SylvinstarSylvinstar Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Amazon's "New World" has spears and bows, muskets, rapiers, hatchets and more.

Probably a little out of date, but here is a site which had the weapon types along with their abilities

https://newworldfans.com/db/category/weapon-abilities

Twitch/Youtubers who have covered this title a good amount include Force Gaming and Ser Medieval (who also did a weapon ability video I  believe).  Check them out if you want to look at some of the action.

AlBQuirky
  • oli2907oli2907 Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Sorry I'm a bit late to this party.. But!

Conan Exiles has 1handed spears that can be thrust and thrown and pikes. The spears can be used with Shields too (which for me lives out my Greek-Hopolite gaming itch) and some of the packs, I got mine free? Not sure how, gives you greek theming armour if that IS what you're into.

Have to backup Dark Souls series. Though I do think 1 was the best ;) (Remastered not original) but as Online play is, at the moment, still out I don't know if that's what you're after.

Let me know if you find anything else! I love spears in games too.

p.s. Skyrim has a handful of mods which, together, gives you spears. Thought that might be note worthy.
  • KalissperaKalisspera Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    edited February 2023
    I totally feel you on the lack of representation of spears and polearms in video games. It's such a shame because they were such a big part of history and were widely used in combat. However, I have some good news for you! I recently stumbled upon some free online games that have a pretty solid selection of weapons, including spears and polearms! They are not only realistic, but also super fun to play with. And bonus points for you, there are bows too! I personally love the combination of the two for hunting.