Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DreamWorld, The Controversial Kickstarter MMO, Is Launching Into Early Access September 12th | MMORP

Comments

• mercstermercster Member UncommonPosts: 70

Qbertq said:

I'll keep an eye out and evaluate like I do all games.  I discount a lot of the 'doom' comments now at days.  These days, games are blasted on just a rumor that there is a game in development.

Yeah, all the cool gaming kids watch too much Youtube, and fancy themselves "professional prognosticators", letting everyone know 'ded gaem' before a project is even out. I think it's one of those things where.. if they're wrong, noone will remember and they were saying what everyone else was anyway. But if they end up being right, they can go around telling everyone know what a genius they are. Silly childrens.
    KyleranChampie
  • DigDuggyDigDuggy Member RarePosts: 641

Iselin said:

Iselin said:

Qbertq said:

I'll keep an eye out and evaluate like I do all games.  I discount a lot of the 'doom' comments now at days.  These days, games are blasted on just a rumor that there is a game in development.

Dude, you got to pick your spots better for your "MMORPG forum posters are too doom and gloom!" schtick.

There are some very good reasons why almost everyone who has looked at this game and it's so-called development team had concluded that it's a scam.

Pick a real game if you want to give us shit.

I don't see why it matters much. The post is stated in very general terms and references an outlook frequently displayed widely on the forums on games less obviously questionable than this. It's an understandable and reasonable position to take.

Because context matters.

This scam is a perversion of gaming and that is not even debatable. It's a cheap huckster who will sell anything by any means that so happened to pick gaming and 650 or so rubes gave him money... maybe, because with scammers I always wonder how many pledgers are just their own fake accounts making sure that the KS funds and gains traction by doing so. It's a very cheap way to promote your scam with the 5-10% that KS keeps. 

It's extremely tone deaf to come into this thread and bring up the subject of blasting games as if this piece of shit were worthy of any positive consideration.

Understandable in the context that some gamers are incredibly gullible and willing participants in getting conned, yes. Reasonable? Only in the alternate universe where scams don't exist.

Even calling this thing a game is an insult to gaming and calling these scammers developers is an insult to real honest devs.

The thing is, if every game/publisher/rumor/patch is crucified in the forums, then it reduces the value. It's kind of like the boy who cried virtual wolf. I just wish there was a little more balance and diversity of thought and opinion. I'll admit it's kind of gotten under my skin. When I play some games and someone starts complaining about a team mate, then all of a sudden everyone piles on.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Iselin said:
    Trivializing the meaning of "MMO" one step at the time.

BTW, this was his previous project before he decided to make what is being called an MMO:

No, I'm not kidding.
    Weirdly enough, I can see a usecase for such a device.

Always thought of buying a motorcycle but wondered, how could I hear my jams?

Even now I ride my bicycle with headphones which probably isn't the smartest of moves, but I have to have my music.

This device would well solve the problem actually, though how easy it's harness goes on and off would be important.

But his MMO, no way it isn't crap at this point, give it 4 or 5 years more before trying is my view.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited September 2022
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    hmmm so it's a speaker that inflicts a person's music taste on everyone around them.

I admire that he's a "go getter" in that so many people talk about doing things and at least he's doing them.

I'm just not so sure that he's doing it well or at least doing it in a way that will see success.
    Well this guy is a "go getter" too... admire away :)

Heh, I drive with the car windows down and my music playing loud, so everyone can be "blessed" by my music taste.

Tech Nine says it best (turn that volume all the way up) ;)

Sovrath

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited September 2022
    Here's the thing I feel if I am sceptical and refuse to buy or play a game I am losing nothing. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Down the road and I am proven wrong, which in this case I know for a fact I will never be as I have watched these guys and their videos and the associated girlfriend's video. I know they are scammers. So making a good choice and saving my precious cash.

I was brought to this genre in 1999 playing Everquest, I know a good game. This is not it.
    KyleranChampieScotcheyane

• ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 818
    From what I've seen, the game is a bare-bones crafting/gathering simulator with no content or anything. Even if the game wasn't a scam, it still looks so cheap and poorly made that even if it was F2P, I wouldn't taint my hardware with it. Just loading articles about it or displaying pictures or videos about it is already disgusting enough.
    Champie
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    edited September 2022
    From what I've seen, the game is a bare-bones crafting/gathering simulator with no content or anything. Even if the game wasn't a scam, it still looks so cheap and poorly made that even if it was F2P, I wouldn't taint my hardware with it. Just loading articles about it or displaying pictures or videos about it is already disgusting enough.
    Oh it's not a "scam" in the sense that they are just trying to get people to give them money. 

The biggest scam here is that they are scamming themselves. I mean a good portion of what they've built are just inherent within the engine, and that's why they've used so many store assets. They don't have the talent to complete the game. At best they probably are competent enough to watch tutorials to mod and fix some of the basic settings. 

Launching early access means nothing since the game was already "playable" if you paid for it on their site. So this relaunch is just their way of trying to "relaunch" this shitshow to bring in money. Nothing of significance has changed. 

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

mklinic said:

Giga_bear said:

This sort of prototyping is entirely normal in game development, you just seldom get to see it as a consumer.

I mean, except for in just about every Kickstarter scam in recent memory. But yeah..Aside from that, you seldom get to see it as a consumer.....

It is not scam related. Crowdfunded games tend to be seen at earlier states of development than those not regardless of whether they succeed or fail. One should always keep that in mind when seeing works in progress.

Yes, my comment was intended tongue-in-cheek regarding the idea that it is seldom seen (amongst this audience at least).

While it is standard practice, and not specific to crowdfunded games, whether its a scam, etc, etc; It does seem to consistently come up as one of the first observations in Crowdfunding efforts shortly followed by any number of people telling everyone its normal/no cause for alarm. Bonus points if the dev first tried to pass it off as their own assets only to be found out by ne'er do wells....

So, it's sort of like an Isekai...If you've seen one or two, you could end up being surprised, but you've got a general idea of how the story is going to go. Here's hoping for a surprise I guess. :)
    Mendel

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    Iselin said:

Iselin said:

Qbertq said:

Dude, you got to pick your spots better for your "MMORPG forum posters are too doom and gloom!" schtick.

There are some very good reasons why almost everyone who has looked at this game and it's so-called development team had concluded that it's a scam.

Pick a real game if you want to give us shit.

I don't see why it matters much. The post is stated in very general terms and references an outlook frequently displayed widely on the forums on games less obviously questionable than this. It's an understandable and reasonable position to take.
    Because context matters.

This scam is a perversion of gaming and that is not even debatable. It's a cheap huckster who will sell anything by any means that so happened to pick gaming and 650 or so rubes gave him money... maybe, because with scammers I always wonder how many pledgers are just their own fake accounts making sure that the KS funds and gains traction by doing so. It's a very cheap way to promote your scam with the 5-10% that KS keeps. 

It's extremely tone deaf to come into this thread and bring up the subject of blasting games as if this piece of shit were worthy of any positive consideration.

Understandable in the context that some gamers are incredibly gullible and willing participants in getting conned, yes. Reasonable? Only in the alternate universe where scams don't exist.

Even calling this thing a game is an insult to gaming and calling these scammers developers is an insult to real honest devs.

The context of the post was primarily general, as in "like I do all games" and "games are blasted." There is nothing wrong with the generalities expressed and they remain reasonable as the trend mentioned can easily seen by reading through a few topics.

What any poster feels worth considering is up to that poster, not your dictation. You're getting a bit extreme here for some reason.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited September 2022

What any poster feels worth considering is up to that poster, not your dictation. You're getting a bit extreme here for some reason.
    Because I care about games and hucksters have been moving into the gaming space to make a quick buck with utter shiit or outright scams. They all need to die in a fire.

It's a disservice to games to cover these scams as if they were just as legit as something like Skyrim, The Wither or Elden Ring. 
    ChampieKyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    edited September 2022
    mercster said:

Qbertq said:

Yeah, all the cool gaming kids watch too much Youtube, and fancy themselves "professional prognosticators", letting everyone know 'ded gaem' before a project is even out. I think it's one of those things where.. if they're wrong, noone will remember and they were saying what everyone else was anyway. But if they end up being right, they can go around telling everyone know what a genius they are. Silly childrens.

So is this also what the fanbois are doing also?  Saying every new game will be awesome, that even a blatant scam might not be one, then the 1 time they are right they can call themselves Nostradamus?

You will always have your Optimists and Pessimists.  I think you need to pay attention to what the majority of Realists are saying to get a good picture.

There was a time in gaming, I would say 90's through mid 2000's where the majority of people were Optimistic of future game releases.  Most games were better than their predecessors in some way and were moving the genre forward.

That is now reversed and most people are pessimistic of future game releases.  This is even worse in Crowdfunded games.

Isn't this just a learned behavior?  How many warning signs do you need to make an informed decision?  How many times do you have to touch an orange burner on the stove to figure out its hot?  I suppose its possible that a glowing orange burner, visual wavy heat lines emanating could actually be an illusion and it could be cold the next time you touch it, but what does common sense tell you?  I guess that common sense gene is missing from some people.
    MendelKyleran
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    mklinic said:

mklinic said:

Giga_bear said:

This sort of prototyping is entirely normal in game development, you just seldom get to see it as a consumer.

I mean, except for in just about every Kickstarter scam in recent memory. But yeah..Aside from that, you seldom get to see it as a consumer.....

It is not scam related. Crowdfunded games tend to be seen at earlier states of development than those not regardless of whether they succeed or fail. One should always keep that in mind when seeing works in progress.

Yes, my comment was intended tongue-in-cheek regarding the idea that it is seldom seen (amongst this audience at least).

While it is standard practice, and not specific to crowdfunded games, whether its a scam, etc, etc; It does seem to consistently come up as one of the first observations in Crowdfunding efforts shortly followed by any number of people telling everyone its normal/no cause for alarm. Bonus points if the dev first tried to pass it off as their own assets only to be found out by ne'er do wells....

So, it's sort of like an Isekai...If you've seen one or two, you could end up being surprised, but you've got a general idea of how the story is going to go. Here's hoping for a surprise I guess. :)

Heh, sometimes it's hard to tell. Thanks for clarifying.

Crowdfunding is inherently risky. Supported intent is often unrealized, especially with larger projects. One's only certain protection is to not spend more on such than can be lost outright without causing worry as there is a good chance that will happen.

Smaller games seem to be more often successful, so are probably less risky to crowdfund. MMORPGs and other large projects may simply not be suited to it.
  • CazomgCazomg Newbie CommonPosts: 1

IDK what to tell you. I like the game. Not sorry. It works the way I like to play games. I enjoy a lot of sandbox games and, if given the options, I will play without any adverse events. Compared to other sandbox type games, I like that DreamWorld is Multi-player. I can see what other people are building and they can see what I'm building. There are some adverse events in the form of monsters, but I can avoid them if I want to. Compared to other MMOs, I like that DreamWorld isn't too quest directed. For example, if I want to make a sword, I don't have to deliver someone's mail and save their grandma and restore their family name in order to earn a recipe to make a sword. I can collect the resources and make it.

I've spent a lot of hours playing DreamWorld and had a good time doing it, so it's impossible for me to think I haven't gotten my money's worth. If you bought that game and didn't like it--I can empathize with you. I hate to buy something and not like it. But, I'm mostly harassed by people who didn't pay money for the game and have never played it trying to mansplain to me why I can't possibly be having fun.

Pros: Building, cooking, planting, hunting, crafting, scenery that gets prettier with every weekly update, ever increasing asset options
    Cons: People trying to shame me into not liking it, and sometimes when the map is updated my houses aren't on the ground anymore (big sad face.)

Kyleran
  • UwakionnaUwakionna Member RarePosts: 1,139
    "Compared to other sandbox type games, I like that DreamWorld is Multi-player."

...what? Most sandbox games are multiplayer.
    Kyleran
  • WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 374
    Uwakionna said:
    "Compared to other sandbox type games, I like that DreamWorld is Multi-player."

...what? Most sandbox games are multiplayer.
    You silly.  You can't engage sock puppet accounts with logic!
    Kyleran
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited September 2022
    Giga_bear said:
    Backed this one in kickstarter, and have been following it very closely. While the early skepticism was warranted, the team has since demonstrated that this is very much a serious project.

As to the unanswered questions, a big one was the use of marketplace assets. I can happily report that the teams does indeed have a professional 3D artist working diligently to craft original pieces to replace those, and has already created dozens of them. This sort of prototyping is entirely normal in game development, you just seldom get to see it as a consumer.

Week after week the game is improved with our feedback taken into account and bugs being fixed. The community is super nice too.

This game may not be everyone's slice of cake but it sure as hell is mine. The founders and the rest of the Dreamworld team are very open to all critical feedback and continuing making improvements every week. Going back to the Pre-Alpha footage, it looks so incredible now!

Cazomg said:

IDK what to tell you. I like the game. Not sorry. It works the way I like to play games. I enjoy a lot of sandbox games and, if given the options, I will play without any adverse events. Compared to other sandbox type games, I like that DreamWorld is Multi-player. I can see what other people are building and they can see what I'm building. There are some adverse events in the form of monsters, but I can avoid them if I want to. Compared to other MMOs, I like that DreamWorld isn't too quest directed. For example, if I want to make a sword, I don't have to deliver someone's mail and save their grandma and restore their family name in order to earn a recipe to make a sword. I can collect the resources and make it.

I've spent a lot of hours playing DreamWorld and had a good time doing it, so it's impossible for me to think I haven't gotten my money's worth. If you bought that game and didn't like it--I can empathize with you. I hate to buy something and not like it. But, I'm mostly harassed by people who didn't pay money for the game and have never played it trying to mansplain to me why I can't possibly be having fun.

Pros: Building, cooking, planting, hunting, crafting, scenery that gets prettier with every weekly update, ever increasing asset options
    Cons: People trying to shame me into not liking it, and sometimes when the map is updated my houses aren't on the ground anymore (big sad face.)

Welcome to the forums! :)
    ChampieKyleran
  • KemmieKemmie Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    I actually backed the Kickstarter and have been active on the discord server since June 2021.

The devs are welcoming and the community is charming.
    The game itself is still in progress but if you saw how it was at the beginning, you'd be pleasantly surprised how much it changed and developped.

This is not a game you should expect fast and huge progress quickly from. They are still learning and it shows but they have the passion and the will to continue learning and progressing with their community.

If you're looking for a fun game, with a lovely community, this is for you, if you are looking for competitive and/or fully finished games already, you should probably look elsewhere.

All I have to say is that I found a game I enjoy with friends. Test it out. :)
    maskedweaselKyleran
    Kemmie said:
    I actually backed the Kickstarter and have been active on the discord server since June 2021.

The game itself is still in progress but if you saw how it was at the beginning, you'd be pleasantly surprised how much it changed and developped.

This is not a game you should expect fast and huge progress quickly from. They are still learning and it shows but they have the passion and the will to continue learning and progressing with their community.

If you're looking for a fun game, with a lovely community, this is for you, if you are looking for competitive and/or fully finished games already, you should probably look elsewhere.

I mean.. aside from the devs and mods booting people that join the discord and ask questions or criticize anything about the game, maybe they're welcoming. 

It's kind of strange that there are so many day 1 accounts just to defend this one game. Seems odd to me personally.

It's also weird to tell people to test out a game that they require you pay to test. And we're not talking realistic Steam early access testing where the game has a core game loop, we're talking about a bunch of assets and poorly textured models and landscapes running on top of a box game engine. 

If they were serious about making the game better and since they've secured private funding they should run real testing phases that don't require anyone pay for anything instead of trying to send people into the comments to convince others to fund the game. 
    KyleranMendelBrainy

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848
    FOUR paid shills?!

I guess the developers are serious.
    ChampieScotTiller
    Xiaoki said:
    FOUR paid shills?!

Or 1 so-called "developer" with 4 new accounts.
    KyleranBrainy
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Kemmie said:

Welcome to the forums! :)
    Kyleran
    edited September 2022
    Iselin said:
    Xiaoki said:
    FOUR paid shills?!

You guys may be well right but at least give them the benefit of the doubt even if you don't the game.
    KyleranBrainy
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Scot said:
    Iselin said:
    Xiaoki said:
    FOUR paid shills?!

You guys may be well right but at least give them the benefit of the doubt even if you don't the game.
    I will give these accounts the benefit of the doubt, these accounts that all have been created in the last four days.

Actually, these accounts are probably alt accounts of long time posters afraid to taint their main profile with support for this game  :p

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    strawhat0981KyleranScot
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

Scot said:
    Iselin said:
    Xiaoki said:
    FOUR paid shills?!

Benefit of the doubt is exactly what scammers count on.
    MendelKyleranChampieTiller

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Scot said:
    Iselin said:
    Xiaoki said:
    FOUR paid shills?!

Normally I would. And I usually do when it comes to indie games and blockchain and all that stuff... but in this case they are being completely disingenuous. 

I mean to their credit they aren't changing their names or anything, but how these particular mods, etc. are affiliated with the game, proposing that people should try it out of nowhere shows that the controversy behind the game hasn't turned a corner. They are still being real shady about it. 
    BrotherMaynardKyleranChampieScot