Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Eyeing Mid-September for New Pre-Alpha, But This Could See a Delay | MM

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2022 in News & Features Discussion

imagePantheon: Rise of the Fallen Eyeing Mid-September for New Pre-Alpha, But This Could See a Delay | MMORPG.com

The next pre-alpha for Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen is still set for mid-September, but the team updated with details on the focus of the test, and why it could potentially see a delay.

Read the full story here

Babuinix

Comments

• ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 317
    "Pre-Alpha"? Again?
    MendelYashaXScothamlathisstrawhat0981
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• GrymmoireGrymmoire Member UncommonPosts: 181
    edited August 2022
    Alpha test: a period of testing of a game that precedes beta. So, pre-alpha means for them a period of testing that precedes alpha? Oh come on now!

Inventing titles for these MMO releases gets exhausting; what the heck is a "Pre-Alpha" anyways? Either you have an Alpha or you don't. Enough of these nonsense confusng terms.

Going to make my pre-coffee now, please excuse me!
    BabuinixYashaXhamlathisSarlastrawhat0981Brainy
  • EldrachEldrach Member RarePosts: 417
    Ah well. They've done some important changes at least.
    1. Got rid of unity
    2. Got rid of unrealistic ETA's
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Eldrach said:
    1. Got rid of unity

Instead, we seem to be getting a pre-announcement of a delay in a pre-alpha test.  Shouldn't this be far enough along to be considered an 'Alpha' proper by now?

If I were more cynical, I'd start asking if this meant they 'almost had gotten rid of Unity' or 'they were getting rid of unrealistic ETAs and replacing them with new, improved unrealistic ETAs'.

GrymmoireChaserzSovrathstrawhat0981

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 317
    I've been a backer for several years. But after far too many setbacks and resets, today I feel like I may have been Chronicles of Elyria'd. I made a new verb.
    strawhat0981
  • Pipersun69Pipersun69 Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Is this game ever coming out? Will I still be young enough to play? Questions I ask myself. Has this game acquired over 5 million dollars? I think I am in the wrong business. Anyone want to make a game?
  • GrindcoreTHRALLGrindcoreTHRALL Member UncommonPosts: 303
    I am stoked for this to release. Its taking forever but there is so many good games to play while I wait for this, SC, and AOC.
    Sensai[Deleted User]RemaliGreatnessKyleran
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    My grandchildren are gonna love this game!
    Viper482Sovrathdragonlee66meerclarcheyaneGrymmoirehamlathisstrawhat0981
  • BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    Pre - Alpha?  LOL this will be the 2nd year in a row that they put out a PR release in January and said they would be in ALPHA by the end of the year.

Why are they so afraid to call this Alpha?  Oh I know, because a lot of people will actually get a chance to see all this BS once they call it Alpha.  Then the hammer will come down.

They are deathly afraid of letting the community see this project for what it is.
    RemaliKyleranMendelstrawhat0981
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Eldrach said:
    1. Got rid of unity
    I remember deluded fans of this game telling me years ago how it was going to succeed where others had failed BECAUSE it used Unity :)
  • MarknMarkn Member UncommonPosts: 307
    edited August 2022
    What will happen first my nephew who was born when development started will graduate college or they will release the game ?
    hamlathis
  • skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181
    Grymmoire said:
    Alpha test: a period of testing of a game that precedes beta. So, pre-alpha means for them a period of testing that precedes alpha? Oh come on now!

Inventing titles for these MMO releases gets exhausting; what the heck is a "Pre-Alpha" anyways? Either you have an Alpha or you don't. Enough of these nonsense confusng terms.

Going to make my pre-coffee now, please excuse me!

Just like the article says, this is more of a technical shake-out than a true test. Do you really think projects go from the idea phase to alpha testing?

hamlathisstrawhat0981
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 495
    *Chris Roberts has entered the chat*
    "Yeah, those guys suck!"
    ScotGrymmoireKylerandragonlee66
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Sometimes we need fantasy to survive reality 
    https://biturl.top/rU7bY3
    Beyond the shadows there's always light
  • EldrachEldrach Member RarePosts: 417
    YashaX said:
    Eldrach said:
    1. Got rid of unity
    I remember deluded fans of this game telling me years ago how it was going to succeed where others had failed BECAUSE it used Unity :)
    Yes - Those people were deranged. Unity is built for mobile gaming. Small instances with a limited,
    but high quality assets. If they kept unity, they’d have to divide zones into multiple parts, like the original EQ. Unity is also not very flexible, so they’d be stuck with a very small recipy book. Updates to the game would’ve followed almost the same pattern forever
    Scot
  • UwakionnaUwakionna Member RarePosts: 1,139
    YashaX said:
    Eldrach said:
    1. Got rid of unity
    Did they actually get rid of Unity? Seems they still refer to HDRP when talking about rendering in some of their videos, which is a Unity rendering pipeline.

Really, that engine should be fine for most games people would wish to make. Much like Unreal, developers get access to low level SDK and code for solving many problems without having to develop completely from the ground-up.

A lot of the bottlenecks comes from the developer's own limitations. If they don't have the technical ability to develop and handle their own netcode and game systems effectively, doesn't matter what engine they build the game with.
    Kyleran
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,515
    edited August 2022
    The game will see its light. However it does take time. To the people who have doubt. Dont you think Cohhcargane would do som duediligence and other investors for that matter- before they threw money at the project?

Cut those guys at VR some slack. They have been had lod of setbacks and the death of Brad on top of that. They could have called it quits and yet they continue to develop the game!

I for one belive in this project.
    hamlathis

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Brainy said:
    Pre - Alpha?  LOL this will be the 2nd year in a row that they put out a PR release in January and said they would be in ALPHA by the end of the year.

Why are they so afraid to call this Alpha?  Oh I know, because a lot of people will actually get a chance to see all this BS once they call it Alpha.  Then the hammer will come down.

They are deathly afraid of letting the community see this project for what it is.
    That was the real telling point of the announcement, confirmation pre-alpha will continue into next year.

I'm sure the extension is partly to reduce potential negatively but a more likely driver is only high tier backers, including the recently added $750 tier are granted pre-alpha testing access.

There's been a push on their forums and reddit to encourage those at lower tiers, especially the $500 backers to up their pledge, even reminding them about the options to pay in installments.

When they finally get to Alpha it will be interesting to see if they do the same, try to encourage the beta backers to buck up for earlier test access.

Probably the way to bet.

MendelHengist

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Mensur said:
    The game will see its light. However it does take time. To the people who have doubt. Dont you think Cohhcargane would do som duediligence and other investors for that matter- before they threw money at the project?

Cut those guys at VR some slack. They have been had lod of setbacks and the death of Brad on top of that. They could have called it quits and yet they continue to develop the game!

I for one belive in this project.
    Looking at how many bad crypto / NFT projects investors have sunk money into in recent years I can image more than one scenario where proper due diligence might not be done here.

As for cutting them slack, naw, I mean the  "reasons" on how things turned out are understandable, doesn't mean the dev team isn't accountable for most of them. (Outside of acts of god of course)

But no harm in believing in the project or preparing to dance on it's grave, neither has any impact on whether the game ever releases really, unless of course someone puts their money where their mouth is and buys in.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,987
    If there was one in development MMORPG that I want to see succeed this would be it...

..but the development just seems to be a total mess.  
    SovrathMendelBrainyLackingMMO

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• SarlaSarla Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Seems like just another company dragging things out in forever development just to keep selling "pledges". I gave up following this kind of garbage and was only reminded of it here.
  • mercstermercster Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Star Citizen for fantasy fans.
    MendelHengist
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    edited August 2022
    Sarla said:
    Seems like just another company dragging things out in forever development just to keep selling "pledges". I gave up following this kind of garbage and was only reminded of it here.
    I don't think it's anything like that at all.

I think it was a project with a failed kickstarter that then tried to continue without it only to have a turnover of staff and a "new start." Then it continued but without a strong hand on the rudder only to constantly have to vie for money and eventually have Brad die.

The people still involved were still dedicated to the project and they managed to make significant changes that allowed them to actually move along at a better pace with better tools.

In no way shape or form did this project hit the ground running. I remember speaking with Brad and another one of the developers at PAX East and the developer made a comment that one map had many iterations but still needed "another go." Brad turned to him with a somewhat serious look and said "no, it's fine the way it is."

I suspect that a lot of the project had tinkering and "a bit here and a bit there" with no finish in sight.

It's not as if they had their engine (they are now using a different engine it seems) their vision and their experienced team and they started work on good footing. I bet it was more like them getting anyone with at least "some" experience who was willing to work for less than nothing.

So not dragging things out so much as a comedy of errors.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo