Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lets talk Lootboxes

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
So I have now played Neverwinter for a month.  I previously played a very long time ago and was just turned off by the Lootboxes.  Nowadays, it's so much more prevalent that I guess I am numb to them (plus they now have odds shown).  But as I play I just really have to scratch my head at HOW they implemented them.

At the end of my month I have about 1000 Lootboxes that have dropped and I am carrying around.  1000!
The cost of each key is $1.25 I think...

That just seems silly.   Why not either make the drops much more rare, (maybe 20 boxes instead of 1000) or the cost of keys much lower (say $0.10 instead of $1.25)?

Overall, I am still having a blast in this game.  It's the most MMORPG fun I have had in quite awhile (despite not really having anything to do with D&D except the setting).  But I really scratch my head at the monetization.  Even the VIP SUB seems poorly designed.  You get 1 lockbox key a day and a small bag that usually contains an item worth a few copper pieces.

They just launched a Battlepass... and want $25 for it.  the rewards seem targeted to a very, very small slice of the population with most reviewers saying to just skip it.

I think the game holds up surprisingly well given it's launch date, but the monetization just seems odd...

Anyone else playing?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Comments

• AndemnonAndemnon Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Neverwinter is one of those games that, unless you are prepared to spend real money in the game, your gaming experience will be sub par, significantly so, but buying into the game isn't that expensive at least, not at first, admittedly its been over a year since i last played the game and i have no regrets with the time i played, nor with walking away afterwards, i think you need to decide before playing, exactly how much money you are prepared to spend, and then stick to it. 
    Scot
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    edited August 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Sometimes we need fantasy to survive reality 
    https://biturl.top/rU7bY3
    Beyond the shadows there's always light
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,985
    edited August 2022
    It never seemed a fully developed open world from what I heard but that's from years ago, maybe that's changed? One of the MMOs I missed, how do the graphics hold up after so long since launch?

I think many younger players are oblivious to gambling in gaming, the older players either put up with it or bail. This means the player base each year shifts more to those who think the likes of loot boxes in a game is normal.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Deathkon1 said:
    At the end of my month I have about 1000 Lootboxes that have dropped and I am carrying around.  1000!

That just seems silly.   Why not either make the drops much more rare, (maybe 20 boxes instead of 1000) or the cost of keys much lower (say $0.10 instead of $1.25)?

Overall, I am still having a blast in this game.  It's the most MMORPG fun I have had in quite awhile (despite not really having anything to do with D&D except the setting).  But I really scratch my head at the monetization.  Even the VIP SUB seems poorly designed.  You get 1 lockbox key a day and a small bag that usually contains an item worth a few copper pieces.

They just launched a Battlepass... and want $25 for it.  the rewards seem targeted to a very, very small slice of the population with most reviewers saying to just skip it.

I think the game holds up surprisingly well given it's launch date, but the monetization just seems odd...

Anyone else playing?

Neverwinter never plans ahead they doll up the beginning knowing most people will buy a few things then leave in a few months, they are in it for short term profit not long term, also yeah I used to play but I quit due to them not fixing old broken mechanics or bugs but leaving remnants of stuff broken for years they just recently fixed the throne of idris after years they removed it cuz they were to lazy to fix it but left the quest when your low level to try to find it and beat it

I have a level 80 mage and warlock I quit warlock due to the fact I leveled it up only to find out its redundant endgame so I switched to mage but I still kinda missed the shadow glide from my warlock I would have paid irl money to put my shadow glide dodge animation on my mage, well when I still played that is
    You must not have played in a long time.  They totally revamped the game sometime before I started.  Max level is now 20.  They changed the way all the items work etc...

I honestly haven't seen anything in my first month of playing that made me want to spend money to get stuff.  I bought a VIP sub because thats typically what I do, but not sure it gives me anything worthwhile... and all the content is free.  I'm doing all the dungeons and all the Trials except for Tiamat so far.

But yeah, it really does seem like they didn't give a lot of thought to the monetization.
    TheDalaiBomba

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    In general, I have no problem with lootboxes. I just never spend a dime on them and dont care. It is obvious gambling which I don't enjoy. Games with gambling are much less appealing to me.

I played NW in the beginning and it was ok. I liked that you could build your own scenarios, but that didn't last very long. That's when I quit.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    You're better off just selling them to the junk vendors as no matter how much you spend on keys to open them the odds of getting anything useful are way to small.

That's the one thing I like about how Neverwinter handled lootboxes ..... you can sell them as junk for a few coins, unlike LotRO where they're worthless and you just end up filtering them out from your loot pickup's.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

Scot said:
    It never seemed a fully developed open world from what I heard but that's from years ago, maybe that's changed? One of the MMOs I missed, how do the graphics hold up after so long since launch?
    It still isn't, very much on rails.  You have zones that take you from lvl 1 to 20 and you level up after certain quests (no xp anymore) and you do them in the order they give them.

Campaigns are pretty much the exact same way as they have gear item level locks on when you can do them.  While there's a little wiggle room in the beginning campaigns (gear levels are same / close) you're pretty much stuck with doing them in their order.

Graphics are good, better computers let you turn up the settings so they look nice.

My fantasy dream is to import some of the Neverwinter regions into DDO as there's some good variety in Neverwinter missing from DDO.
    Scot

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

Andemnon said:
    Neverwinter is one of those games that, unless you are prepared to spend real money in the game, your gaming experience will be sub par,
    Not true unless you're talking about Pvp or End Game.  If all you want to do is the content from start to finish you can get by totally as a F2p and not see any problems.

I've never put one cent into the game, yet have a 40K gear item level right now, getting  1400 of that from doing the Tyranny of Dragons Campaign yesterday.

I don't know how much I'll get from the new Rothe Valley campaign, if it'll bring me up to the last campaign (can't remember the name), but I did it when it first came out so I'm not so worried about it.
    Kyleran

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited August 2022
    I am a hoarder by nature, and struggle with FOMO anxiety as well.

Games which offer loot boxes such ESO or POE don't bother me a bit as they are only offered in the cash store and I make sure not to visit them to avoid being triggered.

I abhor loot box systems as @Slapshot1188 described Neverwinter having, became I end up collecting every one. 

They are double FOMO, not only do I not want to toss any, even if I get a few free keys I end up saving them all as well, in case I want to open loot boxes gathered later on.

So good to learn this, I had thought of trying Neverwinter from time to time but definitely struck from the list now.

TLDR version, I'm OK if MMOs have lootboxes as long as I never actually see them physically in the game world.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited August 2022

They do it because they want to give you a more digitally tangible (now there's a concept!) incentive to spend lootbox cash than games that just rely on ads for what you can get in them and sell the boxes, not keys. They give you 1000 per month because they don't want to limit you if you're one of their compulsive prefered customers :)

No idea if it works better but NW has never been shy about promoting their lootboxes. Do they still have those cheesy broadcast messages when someone gets something rare from a lootbox?
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• UwakionnaUwakionna Member RarePosts: 1,139
    Iselin said:
    Do they still have those cheesy broadcast messages when someone gets something rare from a lootbox?
    Last I recall yes. STO does the same thing.
    Kyleran
    Uwakionna said:
    Iselin said:
    Do they still have those cheesy broadcast messages when someone gets something rare from a lootbox?
    Well yeah... they're both Perfect World / Cryptic MMOs. It's their corporate thing.
    Uwakionna
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited August 2022
    Iselin said:
    You know I've been playing all this past week and can't remember seeing a single one pop up.

Used to be they did all the time both here and on STO.
    Iselin

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Iselin said:
    Uwakionna said:
    Iselin said:
    Well yeah... they're both Perfect World / Cryptic MMOs. It's their corporate thing.
    Thanks, crosses STO off the list permanently, or anything developed by that studio.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Nebless said:
    Iselin said:
    You know I've been playing all this past week and can't remember seeing a single one pop up.

Interesting. Maybe they eased off the cheese... or no one is buying lootbox keys lol.
    Kyleran

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Iselin said:
    Nebless said:
    Iselin said:

Interesting. Maybe they eased off the cheese... or no one is buying lootbox keys lol.
    It's the latter.  Just had one pop on my screen for some mount a guy "won".  But nobody is buying the boxes... 
    Uwakionna

• UwakionnaUwakionna Member RarePosts: 1,139
    I woulda certainly been confused if they removed that from NW and not STO.

Makes me wonder how they'd compare in player base and amount people invest based on rate boxes are opened/redeemed. Not sure it'd be meaningful data, but it's a curiosity.