Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Embers Adrift Worldbreaker Stress Test Happening August 13th, and is Open for Signups | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2022 in News & Features Discussion

imageEmbers Adrift Worldbreaker Stress Test Happening August 13th, and is Open for Signups | MMORPG.com

Stormhaven Studios needs some help on a larger scale, and is holding a Worldbreaker stress test for Embers Adrift on August 13th. Signups are open for new interested players, while previous testers will be automatically invited.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Here you go.. try before you buy. Take a look and decide if you like what you see.
    Tokken

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 818

Here you go.. try before you buy. Take a look and decide if you like what you see.

The problem with these Early Access MMOs is that you might like them, but at some point along the way, they might just die, because either the developers lost their passion, funding or some other issue that prevents them to continue working on a game.

I got burned with one EA MMORPG on Steam like this, I managed to spend 60-70 hours on it during its lifespan of 3 years and had my enjoyment of it, but progress was slow, communication was not good at all and at the end of it all, there was a 7-month long radio silence from the developer and then one volunteer CM updated the Steam page that the servers are offline and people should refrain from purchasing the game going forward. And still no word from the developer as to what happened.

So if I get chosen to participate in the test, I might give it a shot, but I've learned my lesson and prefer to spend money on sustainable games that don't rely on servers and active internet connection in order to provide basic functionality, in other words, I'm only focusing my interest on Single Player Offline games.
    KyleranDhampir
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I've always gotten paid to test software, not the other way around.

;)

BrainyChaserz

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RaagnarzRaagnarz Member RarePosts: 576
    Not gonna bother. Their total tone deaf approach to magic in the game makes the world and the game completely generic and boring which turned off me and the people I play with. Shame really it could have been interesting.
    KyleranKataal
    Kyleran said:

;)

Test is free....  as it should be

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Kyleran said:

;)

Test is free....  as it should be
    See, I'm from the school that free is worth what you pay for it.

Just my time spent has high value, at least to me.

They can't afford me.
    ;)

IselinGrymmoire

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166

It's a good opportunity for those considering the game to get at least some first-hand impression of it.
    KyleranSlapshot1188

Kyleran said:

;)

Those playing won't be testing software. They will be testing their interest in the game.
  • UwakionnaUwakionna Member RarePosts: 1,139
    And that's a perpetual mistake of people testing early access games. A stress test itself is done to test the stability and capacity of the server architecture for the game. That's testing software.

That many use it as a means to measure personal interest certainly happens, it's the inevitable motivator of most participants, it's always at detriment to better judgement, specifically for how incomplete systems may be.

Try before buy is certainly a good thing. But walking into the factory and trying to drive a half a car off the line is jumping the gun. Even public betas are supposed to be about testing the software.
    KyleranIselinTheDalaiBombaGrymmoire
    Uwakionna said:
    And that's a perpetual mistake of people testing early access games. A stress test itself is done to test the stability and capacity of the server architecture for the game. That's testing software.

That many use it as a means to measure personal interest certainly happens, it's the inevitable motivator of most participants, it's always at detriment to better judgement, specifically for how incomplete systems may be.

Try before buy is certainly a good thing. But walking into the factory and trying to drive a half a car off the line is jumping the gun. Even public betas are supposed to be about testing the software.

Testing is indeed the developer's purpose. It is not the purpose of the participants during a weekend of free access, except of course for any paid testers taking part to satisfy their responsibilities.

Those dropping in for a free weekend are there to test their interest in the game, or whether they wish to maintain or discard it based on direct impression rather than conceptual appeal. It's not ideal in terms of circumstance, but that's pretty much the way of things these days for those that want to take a look on the cheap.

TheDalaiBomba
    I would reiterate the point, as this response is addressed by what has already been stated.
    Uwakionna said:

Testing is indeed the developer's purpose. It is not the purpose of the participants during a weekend of free access, except of course for any paid testers taking part to satisfy their responsibilities.

Those dropping in for a free weekend are there to test their interest in the game, or whether they wish to maintain or discard it based on direct impression rather than conceptual appeal. It's not ideal in terms of circumstance, but that's pretty much the way of things these days for those that want to take a look on the cheap.

I think players risk get a poor and probably incorrect impression of what a game will eventually turn out to be which is why I've learned to eschew things like early access or even starting new games at launch.

More than a few have matured into pretty good games but players don't go back because of poor early experiences.

I disliked ESO so much at launch I didn't go back for 7 years...and then only because some friends asked me to.

Now I wait for games to release and then some.

I don't get to play many new games these days since releasing them seems to have become a thing of the past for most.

olepiUwakionna

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    I invested into what this game can be, not what it is today. People going into this to try it out are going to be very disappointed at the moment.
    Kyleran
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited August 2022
    I signed up because I'm curious. I am an old Everquest player. I think I joined in April or May of 1999 so I am not afraid old school stuff but inventory management is something that might turn me off. Not sure how far I will get in this test.

Well in Everquest I never crafted except when there was that alcohol exploit which they fixed and I only made one platinum before it was nerfed. Aside from that I never crafted. So I have no idea actually how over the years since I myself have changed and am now almost invariably heavily invested in crafting going to handle any inventory management that is unnecessarily in my opinion onerous. 

So we shall see I guess.
    Grymmoire
    Chamber of Chains
    Uwakionna said:

Game is going to release within the next 4 months.  There will be tweaks but no major forks in the road... unless they delay the game but just 2 weeks ago they confirmed the timeline.  So what you see is 95% what you will get.

I'd cut some slack certainly for any stability and lag, but as far as seeing actual gameplay... what you see if pretty much what you are gonna get.

achesomaBrainyKylerancheyaneTheDalaiBombaGrymmoire

Well that's a unfortunate. Hope they have lots of runway for post-launch overhauls.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Uwakionna said:

Game is going to release within the next 4 months.  There will be tweaks but no major forks in the road... unless they delay the game but just 2 weeks ago they confirmed the timeline.  So what you see is 95% what you will get.

I'd cut some slack certainly for any stability and lag, but as far as seeing actual gameplay... what you see if pretty much what you are gonna get.

Hmm not a good thing to be honest but let me see if what they have is sufficient.
    Chamber of Chains
    cheyane said:
    Uwakionna said:

Hmm not a good thing to be honest but let me see if what they have is sufficient.
    I think its more along the lines of taking a look to see if the style of gameplay is a fit.  I mean, when I played it in the last test it certainly needed tweaks, but I found the old-school style to have a fun core.  Others might login, and after 5 minutes know that this game is simply NOT their style of game.

This game is targeting a niche of a niche.  Most folks are not going to enjoy the style.  But the last I saw (which is certainly outdated) they were looking for 10k subscribers.  I think that is certainly doable.

KyleranGrymmoire

• ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 317
    edited August 2022
    While I haven't played myself, I have followed this game. It's VERY old school and frankly low-key in the sense there is no amazing, spectacular fireworks like combat or spell effects. Much of its alpha time was fighting bears in the woods that required a full group to survive swinging swords and clubs in a very unforgiving setting. Think Ever Quest, but even more simplistic. But "niche of a niche" is accurate. As there are people wanting to play MMOs like this. Group centric. No maps. Very group hands on. Like Valhalla. LOL
    Kylerancheyane
  • arrasonlinearrasonline Member UncommonPosts: 2
    I suppose I could sign up...I checked the game out months ago and thought that the $50 buy in was an outrageous price for such an unproven team. I did watch some folks stream the game, but it looked very boring and sadly, there appears to be no magic classes which is what I normally play.

I will keep an eye on it, but no way I am gong to spend money on it.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I don;t try everything just because it's free... I have standards :)
    KyleranUngood
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:

Ungood

Iselin said:
    True.  But if I'm INTERESTED in something.  I would always take advantage of trying it for free prior to buying it.

But that's just me.   I know some people that just buy all kinds of things sight unseen.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Iselin said:
    True.  But if I'm INTERESTED in something.  I would always take advantage of trying it for free prior to buying it.

But that's just me.   I know some people that just buy all kinds of things sight unseen.

Agree that interest is the key. I mean... Chronicles of Elyria sounded interesting to enough of you that you backed the KS.

I didn't, because like I said, I have standards :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

This discussion has been closed.