Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tower of Fantasy Preview - Don't Call it a Genshin Killer | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2022 in Videos Discussion

imageTower of Fantasy Preview - Don't Call it a Genshin Killer | MMORPG.com

Tower of Fantasy is set to release globally on August 10th, but you don't have to wait to get all the details as we've spent hours within this shared-world anime-inspired RPG. Read more in our Tower of Fantasy Preview!

Read the full story here

Comments

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079
    Everything I've watched and read on this game recently has been really positive, I had initially written it off when I'd heard about it a few months ago but now I'm looking forward to trying it out.
    maskedweaselfoxgirlelveonePetitSoldatValdheimKSib
  • Batak_KillerBatak_Killer Member UncommonPosts: 395
    I recently tried Noah's Heart and i see the two games share many similarities. But I just couldn't continue with it because the PC controls are atrocious, you couldn't attack with mouse buttons.

Is this any better, controls wise?

• StevenWeberStevenWeber MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 109
    I recently tried Noah's Heart and i see the two games share many similarities. But I just couldn't continue with it because the PC controls are atrocious, you couldn't attack with mouse buttons.

I'm generally a mobile player when I play games like Genshin or Noah's Heart. I played the preview version of Tower of Fantasy on PC and the controls were very good. It feels a lot like an action MMO. Left click is your main attack. 1 - 3 are your special attacks or relics. You can dodge with the shift key or right-clicking your mouse.

It seems there is also controller support, though I have not tested this yet. 

The combat is simplistic in execution, so the control scheme is simple in nature, but complex in the depth of how you synergize your weapons and react in combat. 

I hope that helps answer your question!
    sschruppeoloeBatak_KillerKyleran
  • alissimaalissima Member UncommonPosts: 4

I played both, and there is a drastic difference. I could actually see myself playing Tower of Fantasy. I uninstalled Noah's Heart pretty much immediately because of how it felt. Controls were bad, clipped through random things, just very unpolished. You should be pleasantly surprised with ToF after trying NH.
    maskedweaselValdheimBatak_KillerKyleran
  • NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,129
    Chinese players I've spoken with refer to it as: "the better Genshin Impact, but with mmorpg features"
    maskedweaselsschruppRoinKyleran

Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

I'm generally a mobile player when I play games like Genshin or Noah's Heart. I played the preview version of Tower of Fantasy on PC and the controls were very good. It feels a lot like an action MMO. Left click is your main attack. 1 - 3 are your special attacks or relics. You can dodge with the shift key or right-clicking your mouse.

The combat is simplistic in execution, so the control scheme is simple in nature, but complex in the depth of how you synergize your weapons and react in combat. 

there is anything to spice it? genshin has elemental combos
  • ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 818
    It seems like it will have a Stamina System where after a certain amount of time, you won't be able to play anymore until your stamina recharges or optionally, you choose to buy more stamina. If that's the case, I doubt I will be very interested in the game. Also the sci-fi theme doesn't appeal to me outside of Star Wars or Mass Effect games.
  • StevenWeberStevenWeber MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 109
    Warlyx said:

there is anything to spice it? genshin has elemental combos
    There are elemental effects, but I have not noticed elemental combos in the same way Genshin Impact does it. The difference here has to do with utilizing your combat skills properly, accessing the Phantasia state, breaking through their defenses (some of which will be elemental based), and of course, proccing the elemental state of your weapons on enemies. Some weapons give you bonuses or effects based on whether you have applied an elemental effect.

The elemental effects are not as complex as Genshin. 

It seems like it will have a Stamina System where after a certain amount of time, you won't be able to play anymore until your stamina recharges or optionally, you choose to buy more stamina. 
    This has not been my experience. There are time-gated missions, however. When you can't progress the main story any further for a set time, there are other things you can do. There are also features that have a daily limit cap, but nothing will prevent you from playing, like a stamina system, in the preview version that I played.
    LTBKKyleran
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    it looks like a gacha games.
  • BatzenbaerBatzenbaer Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Will try it next week.
    I hope for good controls on PC Version.
    Yes the controls on Noahs Heart was meh,
    i mean K,U,I,L for the attacks on PC?rofl.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Difference between this and Noah is that Noah is actual more of the MMO mechanics and features, with guilds, housing, pvp, dungeons, raids, etc, etc...

Noah just has a lack of polish and needed more quality to compete decently.
    Scot
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    MaxBacon said:
    Difference between this and Noah is that Noah is actual more of the MMO mechanics and features, with guilds, housing, pvp, dungeons, raids, etc, etc...

I don't think it has housing, but tower of fantasy has all the rest of that stuff. Also tower of fantasy doesn't have the auto move which can be exactly like auto play for a lot of noahs questing. 

I don't hate noahs heart its just kind of boring. I'm looking forward to tof though. 
    Roin

• SarlaSarla Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Another asian pay to win?
    Iselin
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166

Sarla said:

The paying depends on the one playing.

Or don't play it and there will definitely be no pay.
    RoinmaskedweaselIselin
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited August 2022
    Sarla said:
    Calling a game this is no longer an insult considering what Diablo Immortal has turned out to be. Perhaps in future we should say is this as pay to win as Diablo Immortal. It might resonate better with Western audiences.
    Scot

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    kitarad said:
    Sarla said:
    Calling a game this is no longer an insult considering what Diablo Immortal has turned out to be. Perhaps in future we should say is this as pay to win as Diablo Immortal. It might resonate better with Western audiences.
    It is still the ultimate insult except for that group of players who have bought into the economic stratification of gaming and don't have enough spine to reject P2W games outright.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    kitarad said:
    Sarla said:

DI is no different from any other game where the amount payed is entirely dependant on player choice. It costs as much as you are willing to spend on it, and the temptation to do so can be avoided entirely by not playing it.
    IselinSlapshot1188Kyleran
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    ... the temptation to do so can be avoided entirely by not playing it.

RoinKyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    MaxBacon said:

MaxBacon said:

I don't think it has housing, but tower of fantasy has all the rest of that stuff. Also tower of fantasy doesn't have the auto move which can be exactly like auto play for a lot of noahs questing. 

I don't hate noahs heart its just kind of boring. I'm looking forward to tof though. 
    Two different stories, so who is right?
    Kyleran
  • TheDalaiBombaTheDalaiBomba Member EpicPosts: 1,493
    edited August 2022
    kitarad said:
    Sarla said:

DI is no different from any other game where the amount payed is entirely dependant on player choice. It costs as much as you are willing to spend on it, and the temptation to do so can be avoided entirely by not playing it.
    That's not true, though.

Games with box prices only don't allow gamers to choose the amount paid.  You either pay the box price, which you don't get to negotiate, or you don't play.  Offering the devs another 10 grand doesn't change what you get.  Offering them less than the box means you simply do not play at all.  That is far different from cash shop F2P schemes.

And that is why folks keep replying to your posts about this like they do.  You're technically right, but you're also talking past their points.
    Kyleran
  • KirzanKirzan Member UncommonPosts: 60
    edited August 2022
    Oh it's a gacha? So we either dump hundreds to experience "the cool stuff" or become a slave to the game and get it in months (maybe)? Cool. Wake me up when someone makes a real game with this gameplay and progression loop, because it's actually really good.
    maskedweasel
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    Scot said:
    MaxBacon said:

MaxBacon said:

Two different stories, so who is right?
    Well... it has a battle Royale mode and dueling, I don't think it has open world pvp. It has dungeons and world bosses. It has crews which are guilds. I don't think it has housing though. Even genshin has housing, so I bet they add it.

Tof is actually really close to being a full mmorpg, I can't confirm the numbers based on dev info but I read from someone who played the Chinese version that they split the world up by area kind of like pso2. They said the max is somewhere between 30 and 50 per region and there's no loading screen or lag between regions. Pso2 does have some pretty bad lag and some loading between regions, but they have encounter with many more people ... if you actually find that many people. 

So I guess it evens out. 
    Scot

• UwakionnaUwakionna Member RarePosts: 1,139
    edited August 2022
    Did they scale up PSO2? Last I'd played NGS, it's headcount only really scaled between 8 and 32 for zones (EDIT: for action zones, seems the towns can go to 100).
  • kinkanatkinkanat Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Curious that in a "specialized media" as this page is not said absolutely nothing about the difficulty of the game, if you found any combat that involved paying attention or was as simple and easy as most current MMORPG games.

Personally this is what worries me, I will wait to see impressions, because I am not a parent who has children and just want to relax in games hoping that I never get killed and that I get everything for free.

For me it is important to have a challenge and go out to explore but trying to calibrate well against which enemies I face and which not.

Also nothing is said if it is necessary to have classes like tank, heal and supports in addition to DPS, or if the difficulty is so ridiculous that it doesn't matter.

Anyway, I hope for more information in the future.