Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please reply! Is this for me!?

halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535

I enjoy games with a kick, I like grind to an extent, for example:

I may grind for about 2 hourish but then I may wanna quest

I AM NOT ALL PVP! I like PvP but not all the time, I may just want to quest/grind, can this game offer that?

I am into crafting, can this game offer that as well?

From fishing to weapon making, just to kill boredom I will do it.

Does this game have any of the above?

I LIKE DIFFERANT PEOPLE! Are there a bunch of clones walking around in the same armor and weapons?

I LIKE COMMUNITY! Are people nice? Willing to group and help out?

I like dungeons and solo play! Is that ok? Will I be able to Solo the whole way to max level? How many dungeon are there? Plentiful for little dungeons?

I like real graphics, something with a zing if you know what I mean. Something that would put my video card to the test, something I can see the sharpness of a blade and not the cartoony CRAPNESS that WoW has to offer.

Please save me from World of Warcraft, I know there has to be a good game out there somewhere. And if this game can't offer me that, please point me to the direction where I can play something good that would brake my WoW addiction. ( Don't say EQ2 either because for some reason that game bored the hell out of me )

Comments

• JukanJukan Member UncommonPosts: 325
    You can grind for 2 hours that is fine. But there are no quests in this game that mask the grind, they are grind quests so you really can't break from the grind for a quest. You do both at the same time so to speak.

L2 isn't ALL pvp. That is why there is crap loads of PvE. The grind is long so you will never be short on PvE. Once you get to lvl 76 you can start a subclass. Once you raise ur subclass to lvl 75 you can become a nobless through a long quest. Once a nobless you can become a Hero by compeating in PvP with other noblesses for spot as hero.

In order to do main crafting you will have to be a dwarf or have a dwarf alt. But all characters have a common craft skill. You get these recipies and items for common craft through fishing. You can craft such things as Potions and some items like a pirate patch or party mask. All weapon crafting and armor crafting is left to the dwarven race.

L2 is all about community. This game has the most mature community of any MMO out there. The game isn't based around quests but instead other players and their actions. This is why L2's community is great. Of course their is the occasional PKer or jerk, but there is far less than good people.

There are dungeons. The main ones are known as the catacombs. Most catacombs tho all look the same. So you can get lost in em a bit...but I guess that is why they are called catacombs. There are dungeon areas tho such as Enchanted Valley or Tower of Insolence which can be mighty fun, along with a few others.

L2 has real graphics in my opinion. Will it push your video card, well I guess it depends what your card is. The better the card the higher the settings you can use. The requirements aren't super high, but the quality is! So keep that in mind. It isn't that cartoony crap that they have in WoW. L2 I feel has the best looking weapons characters and whatnot.

Different people? Well I will tell you this. L2 isn't based on high customization. It is based on high quality. There are only a few faces and hairstyles to choose from, but all are very very well done. Same with armor, there is a wide variety of it, but most people go for the best armor they can get for their class. So you see a lot of people in the armor that is best, so there isn't huge variety there either. The next chronicle will add more variety in armor and weapons tho, some weapons being practically the same in attributes but different looks...so ppl can customize like that.

I didn't like WoW! I do like Lineage II. I have played L2 for almost 2 years and I still play it. IMO it is a great game, but there are many different tastes out there. Really L2 offers many things you said, but it also lacks in a few. Remember the game is only $20...and you get a free month of play. I would say try it, because no matter what someone tells you...you are the only one that will know if you will like it.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    what Jukan said.

This game has quests but very few people find them fun. This game is not about quests but about player interaction. Clans hating clans, liking clans, warring clans etc.

Not all clans get into politics and some avoid it all together doing their own thing.

In my opinion, this and GW have some of the best Art design in any game out there. it is open pvp though. Meaning you can get offed anytime for any reason. However, at higher lvls this happens more for political reasons than anything else.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • paranoidpvpparanoidpvp Member Posts: 539
    For the most part everything you just listed applies to this game, are you sure you havnt played it yet???

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Originally posted by halfmystic

I enjoy games with a kick, I like grind to an extent, for example:

I may grind for about 2 hourish but then I may wanna quest
    The grind is tough but not as bad as the non-players claim it is. Getting into a guild helps alot.
    I AM NOT ALL PVP! I like PvP but not all the time, I may just want to quest/grind, can this game offer that?
    L2 has an interesting consiquences system to keep rampid PKing in check. You may get PKed in the starter areas at first but it settles down quickly after that. Its never "safe" like a PvE game but its manageable.
    I am into crafting, can this game offer that as well?
    Yes, however only Dwarves can really craft. They make good alts or if you make a dwarf your main at higher levels they can summon some really nice siege golems and such. I enjoyed playing my dwarf.
    From fishing to weapon making, just to kill boredom I will do it.
    L2 has it all
    Does this game have any of the above?

I LIKE DIFFERANT PEOPLE! Are there a bunch of clones walking around in the same armor and weapons?
    Sort of. The amount of customization it sort of limited. Reason...the seiges. Once you see the amount of people it takes to capture a castle you will understand. Dont let that put you off to much, whatever race/class you end up playing is going to simply look good. Personally I think that L2 is far better looking then EQII (which I am currently playing, thanks to my wife )

I LIKE COMMUNITY! Are people nice? Willing to group and help out?
    Given the nature of the open PvP the community tends to be a bit standoffish at first. If you ask, generally people will help you out. There are asshats who get off on getting newbies killed so watch out for them. The newbie areas also tend to be sort of empty so don't let that scare you. The bulk of the player population is higher level. Once you get out of the starter areas people are generally no different then in other MMO's Be careful what you say, its not like in WoW where you can run your smack talking yapper and not worry about it. You tick someone off in L2 and they may just kill you. (IMHO WOW has the worse smack talking community on the planet) 
    I like dungeons and solo play! Is that ok? Will I be able to Solo the whole way to max level? How many dungeon are there? Plentiful for little dungeons?
    Im not to sure if you can reach cap solo but most of the classes can make it a long way before it becomes an issue (most of our guild is in the 60-70 range, mostly we group for raids only or when we are worried about our rivals showing up or we are in a "clan war"---which is like all the frickin time lately)

I like real graphics, something with a zing if you know what I mean. Something that would put my video card to the test, something I can see the sharpness of a blade and not the cartoony CRAPNESS that WoW has to offer.
    oooooo..you are so going to like L2. It doesn't have that high of a system requirement but the game looks and sounds fantastic. The music and style are perfect.
    Please save me from World of Warcraft, I know there has to be a good game out there somewhere. And if this game can't offer me that, please point me to the direction where I can play something good that would brake my WoW addiction. ( Don't say EQ2 either because for some reason that game bored the hell out of me )
    Hmmm....if you are thinking this game will be anything like WoW I'm sorry to say you will be disappointed. Leveling stiffens up considerably after level 40. It also has one of the hardest game economies out there. If you do not learn to buy and sell correctly you are doomed to be broke and frustrated. Its also not a simple and straightforward as WoW. No spoon feeding here. Figure it out or die broke and alone...lol
    EQII probably bored you because its a much slower paced game. Its designed to be emersive and not action driven like WoW. The people who play EQII are not as hung up on hitting cap and getting everything loot related within a month. EQII has such a large content scope you could dump around forever even at low levels and still never hit half the content. It is missing any sort of "drive" so to speak. EQII is more emersive world (like L2) while WoW is just a video game.
    In L2 its get up in levels to survive. L2 is a highly competetive game on every level. You will need to "fight" against PvE grind, PvP attacks, super hard economy, and to get into the community much deeper in.
    Be ready for it
    Once you understand the in game politics that go on between the guilds for control of the castles you will see that no other game can come as close to simulating a true cut throat adventure world. Guilds are the key to survival and success.
    L2 is a cold harsh mistress and that is what people don't like about the game. She doesn't baby her children, only the strong survive.
    What Torak Said!!!

Though remember, the grind used to be much much much worse. They changed the level barriers a bit and added the noob buffs (only for your first character that you get to lvl 6 on a particular server).

my character is lvl 73 at the moment (50% in) and I get .01% to .02% per kill (mostly .01) I mostly solo incidentally but my character is a spellhowler and they have an easier time of it in some ways.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535

Well thanks everyone for the replies, but I don't know if this game is for me. Unless I want to try and do the impossible and solo my way up to the highest level without a guild ( I am a non-social person ).

it kind of reminds me of Ragnarok online but with a ton of more tons of course.You guys know..The going to dungeons and killing things to get that ONE level you been trying to get all day lol I loved that so much and I've been wanting to do it again ever since I left Raganrok Online. Thats what drew me to this game, I think I do like grind a lot but I don't know if I can get into politics and such for I am not interested in that stuff, if I were to join a guild it would just be for the seiges and talking with other players, thats it.Or maybe when I hit top level ( I DON'T CARE IF IT WOULD TAKE ME A YEAR I WOULD DO IT DAMNIT! lol ) THEN I would go into politics.

And yes another thing I heard is that the class balance is very horrible, spell users kill everything , archers kill all melee people and melee can't kill anything. Another thing is I would be one of those Melee people because I look the thought of carrying a huge sword and slicing all monsters that get in my way!

If you guys can correct me if I am wrong on any of this, please do so! I still have interest in this game,I just wanna make sure ya know?

Well thanks everyone for the replies, but I don't know if this game is for me. Unless I want to try and do the impossible and solo my way up to the highest level without a guild ( I am a non-social person ).
    I dont think its impossible, research the classes. Most people solo most of the time that I know of unless they are raiding or hitting one of the high mob density dungeons like the catacombs, even those can be soloed depending on level. I solo about 80 - 90% of the time.

it kind of reminds me of Ragnarok online but with a ton of more tons of course.You guys know..The going to dungeons and killing things to get that ONE level you been trying to get all day lol I loved that so much and I've been wanting to do it again ever since I left Raganrok Online. Thats what drew me to this game, I think I do like grind a lot but I don't know if I can get into politics and such for I am not interested in that stuff, if I were to join a guild it would just be for the seiges and talking with other players, thats it.Or maybe when I hit top level ( I DON'T CARE IF IT WOULD TAKE ME A YEAR I WOULD DO IT DAMNIT! lol ) THEN I would go into politics.
    There are plenty of neutral guilds who dont get involved. There are also plenty of smaller guilds who band together like in other games out of common interest. Not everyone gets into the seiges and politics. its not impossible to solo through, just research your classes. I think some of the casters have an easier time. I haven't had any problems with my Tank a Dark Avenger. My Dwarf does fine also but hes only level 30 or so.  
    http://www.lineage2.com/guide/race_human.html

And yes another thing I heard is that the class balance is very horrible, spell users kill everything , archers kill all melee people and melee can't kill anything. Another thing is I would be one of those Melee people because I look the thought of carrying a huge sword and slicing all monsters that get in my way!
    Its not unbalanced, classes have extream roles. Caster do massive amounts of damage but are about as tough as a sheet of paper in melee. Tanks destroy once they close to melee. Archers do very good damage at range but are not that much tougher then casters in melee. When I'm in PvP the other guy had better kill me before I close to melee or else he's dead. Some tanks also have some advantages like the DA, we have a summonable panther that counters some of our range disadvantages depending on the situation.

If you guys can correct me if I am wrong on any of this, please do so! I still have interest in this game,I just wanna make sure ya know?

Thanks Torak! Do you still play? If so , whats your server?

I mostly solo and my character is 73. Having said that it is all grinding. The quests are not very fun. At least not ot me. They are mostly there for class changes etc. It's not like WoW where there is an abundance of quests that are different and interesting.

Some melee can solo most of the time as well. Destroyer for instance.  (which will become my subclass when the time comes).

Thanks Torak! Do you still play? If so , whats your server?

Unfortunately no not right now. My account was up last week. My wife and a few real life friends have me playing EQII. With my station account reactivated I'm also checking out SWG.

I gotta say SWG is just as much a trainwreck as it was before this NGE. Maybe a little worse off but not much.

EQII......well its a nice looking game, not as nice looking as L2. It doesn't have to much in terms of world variation. You only have 2 starting points (good and evil) vs L2's 6. The races are ok but sorta bland. The skeletal structure of most of the "humanish" characters are all the same so everyone looks more alike then in our L2. Most of the races are simply humans with a head stuck on them like the lizard guys and the cat guys. The actual face customization is very good but I haven't seen my characters face up close since I made him.

The armor art in EQII is horrible. It really does looks like clay! There is also no variation based on race in the armors. So an elf and a human wearing the same suit looks the same. Unlike L2 which completely changes the look and style based on race and sex. I gotta say the 'stylistic" customization and looks of EQII are NOT near as good as L2.

I don't know, it has a very "generic fantasy world 242" feel to it. The world so far is pretty standard looking. Everyone does a cute little island place for a few levels then you go to the one big city (per side) then I guess we are rangng out from there. There isn't even much variaty in music. That damn flute music just goes on and on. Not anything like L2 with every city and area having its own music.

It has a ton of "content" but its all drab kill task (just like ours in L2 lol) Go kill 6 of these go kill 4 of those. its the same old crap. If you like playing messenger boy EQII is for you! You can deliver pies and worms and letters and items and all sorts of stuff to assorted NPCs in the city. It has these nifty "collection quest' with some nice rewards but thats about it.

Neither game (SWG or EQII) has any intensity at all. You can literally doze off while playing. I guess after 8 months of L2 I will never look at a PvE game the same again.

All in all both games are not very challenging and not very interesting. SWG took about 3 seconds to figure out the depth of combat, arm ranged weapon, point at mob, click mouse many times(weapon fires spastically fast)...done...repeat. Thats it. There is nothing more to combat then that. (the specials don't work about half the time)

EQII has much more depth and is much more thought out but its just dull. The combat is "ok" but you are locked into managing a "heroic opportunity" button mash to win a fight.

I was on Teon and will probably be back in the near future. (with any luck next month.......please)

• JukanJukan Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Ok, actually halfmystic...I think you will like this game for what you just described.

Yes there is a character I think that would fit what you described perfectly. The Destroyer (also mentioned by Sovrath) which uses huge 2 handed swords! If you ever go to www.lineage2.com look under the library of weapons, and find the Dragon Slayer...that sword is my most favorite in the whole game, and Destroyers have masteries for it. Also a Destroyer can Solo good too. You guys are tough as nails. You will level faster though if you make a healer/buffer friend, or you dual box (use 2 accounts at same time) one. A live one is better tho, because it gives you someone to chat with.

Yes, you can solo a few classes, all the way to lvl cap. Mind you some classes can't like a support class or even a tank for example. And still IMO the game gets much better with ppl you like to play with. Heck, try to get one of ur RL friends to come start up with you.

There are many neutral guilds. The one I am in is neutral. We just party togeather when we wanna have some fun times, we go do raid bosses once and a while and go to areas impossible for a single player to go to.

You will find yourself soloing practically till lvl 45 or so, and by that time if you want parties it will be easy to get em.

About politics and PvP and whatnot. There are so many different kind of clans out there that will fit what you are looking for. There are just some clans that clan up so they can chat with each other, and thats just about it. This game doesn't really force you to do anything...it plays like a child in a sandbox, you create the kind of gameplay you really want.

Like I said, if you played WoW...I know you won't be able to belive the graphics in here. Mind you the actual game mechanics are very different than WoW. So if you log onto L2 and you start compairing it to WoW and finding yourself not enjoying L2 because you are use to things that are in WoW, well then you may not enjoy it. But like I said before, I think this is the best MMO currently on market.

Thank you guys a lot for your information, I paided for it and god..I love the game, I couldn't stop playing from 12 pm till 10 pm, its just a fantastic game. The community is great! I just started today and my friends list is HUGE

If you guys wanna talk to me or anything, I am on the Dev. server, in game name is Komuei!