Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo Immortal Has Seen Over $100 Million In Player Spending Since Launch Per New Report | MMORPG.c

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageDiablo Immortal Has Seen Over $100 Million In Player Spending Since Launch Per New Report | MMORPG.com

Despite the outcries against Diablo Immortal's microtransactions, that hasn't slowed players down spending money on Blizzard's ARPG. A new report has stated that the ARPG has eclipsed over $100 million in player spending since launch.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 317
    I tried this on my PC with no intent of paying a dime. I must say, I'm enjoying it. The progression and story is very good. My character is growing with both skills and gear at a steady enough pace to keep the game interesting.

It's clear a good deal of design development when into this game. It's not a chintzy remake to score some quick bucks. It has plentiful details, zones, voice overs, story line and options. It's fun enough to get a nightly visit from me for about 1 hour, and I am level 43. Again, I haven't spent a penny and I don't care if other players did/do.
    Kayless
  • LuidenLuiden Member RarePosts: 336
    One of the problems with video games is that the target audience is typical young adults/kids, this audience isn’t old enough yet to understand these type of scams and why the micro transaction model is so bad for them.  By the time they have been baited into investing their time into the game and then empty their banks accounts to be able to play the real game it’s too late.

They get older and a new set of fools age into the micro transaction trap, really disgusting if blizzard to turn into this.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    More confirmation that the easiest demographic to scam is gamers.
    KyleraneoloeDiabhualWalkinGlenn
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• UwakionnaUwakionna Member RarePosts: 1,139
    edited July 2022
    It just recently launched in China too. So Blizz' has no reason to care any more. Just gonna milk that monetization.

Same loop of people that have just tried it too thinking "oh this is nice" before seeing the ramp into monetization waiting for them near the end of the campaign.
  • hoenens1hoenens1 Member UncommonPosts: 310
    Trash it is... do not touch this shit.
    ircaddicts
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172

Chaserz said:

I tried this on my PC with no intent of paying a dime. I must say, I'm enjoying it. The progression and story is very good. My character is growing with both skills and gear at a steady enough pace to keep the game interesting.

It's clear a good deal of design development when into this game. It's not a chintzy remake to score some quick bucks. It has plentiful details, zones, voice overs, story line and options. It's fun enough to get a nightly visit from me for about 1 hour, and I am level 43. Again, I haven't spent a penny and I don't care if other players did/do.

It's fun throughout the leveling experience, which can be easily done spending no money at all. That will fall off though once you finish the story and are prompted to escalate to Hell 1 difficulty. Then progression gets glacial and the monetary cost to increase that pace can be extremely high.

As such, unlike previous Diablo, games it isn't suited to long term play unless you have uncompromising patience or are willing to spend money on an ongoing basis.

Still, you can get a fair bit of fun out of it if you are content to replay the main story with various classes and builds until you tire of the repetition.
    Kyleran
  • flynn444flynn444 Member UncommonPosts: 67
    "Despite the outcries against Diablo Immortal's microtransactions..."

Outcries from what is blindingly obvious a vocal minority, if not extreme minority. Fine, we get it already you don't like microtransactions. Clearly a lot of gamers don't agree with you. Accept it and move on, fercryinoutloud.
    halfmysticIselinKyleranSlapshot1188ircaddicts
  • halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535
    edited July 2022

flynn444 said:

Outcries from what is blindingly obvious a vocal minority, if not extreme minority. Fine, we get it already you don't like microtransactions. Clearly a lot of gamers don't agree with you. Accept it and move on, fercryinoutloud.

That's exactly wrong. The gaming community =/= the mobile community. Literally anyone with a phone can play this. The MAJORITY of gamers hate this shit, but the brain-dead masses in the mobile market eat it up because this is the norm.

Just a bunch of children with mom's credit card who are more than willing to spend not-their-money for power.

If you accept it and move on, that's your prerogative (a bad one), and not the reflection of the gaming community majority.
    ircaddictsMcSleaz
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

flynn444 said:

That's exactly wrong. The gaming community =/= the mobile community. Literally anyone with a phone can play this. The MAJORITY of gamers hate this shit, but the brain-dead masses in the mobile market eat it up because this is the norm.

Just a bunch of children with mom's credit card who are more than willing to spend not-their-money for power.

If you accept it and move on, that's your prerogative (a bad one), and not the reflection of the gaming community majority.
    The majority of whales are not children with moms credit card though.  The largest spenders are 25 - 40 years old. 
    GlacianNex

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • slowz2secretslowz2secret Member RarePosts: 407
    people that spend that amount of money on that garbage are the real definition of dumbass.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Wargfoot said:
    Too bad it didn't crash and burn - now we have to live with this garbage.
    That aside, I wonder how much it would have made selling for $49 a copy?
    How many sales did their last game make? I would take that as a good indicator.  Diablo 2 resurrected sold low 5 million copies in 6 months ... probably more.  So... lets say 300 million in 6 months compared to 100 million in just over a month? 

Probably will even out as new games release and spending drops off... so I would suspect it will probably end up about the same after 6 months,  if not a little bit of an edge on the mobile end. 
    TheDalaiBomba

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    flynn444 said:

I imagine people used to tell Dr Martin Luther King and his followers to stop whining and move on too.

Same with all those students in the 60's, stop whining about the Vietnam war and show us your draft card.

Exploding Pintos? More whining.  Google and Facebook data mining your social media sites, no big deal, quit yer bitchin and move on.

Mom (RIP) said it best, "just because everyone else is jumping off the cliff  doesn't mean it's a good idea for you to do the same."

So yeah, I'll keep pointlessly raging against stupidity if for no other good purpose besides it pleases me to do so.

Don't be like these guys 

eoloeHiromantMcSleaz

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Lemmings was a pretty fun game though.
    KyleranmaskedweaseleoloecheyaneircaddictsNeoyoshi

Kyleran said:

flynn444 said:

I imagine people used to tell Dr Martin Luther King and his followers to stop whining and move on too.

Same with all those students in the 60's, stop whining about the Vietnam war and show us your draft card.

Exploding Pintos? More whining.  Google and Facebook data mining your social media sites, no big deal, quit yer bitchin and move on.

Mom (RIP) said it best, "just because everyone else is jumping off the cliff  doesn't mean it's a good idea for you to do the same."

So yeah, I'll keep pointlessly raging against stupidity if for no other good purpose besides it pleases me to do so.

Don't be like these guys 

LOL..Are you serious? Equating microtransactions in a video game to major 20th century injustices?

Listen bud. No one is making YOU jump off a cliff. No one is taking your money or jailing you. In fact, you can completely ignore the game and be just as happy.

But nah. You don't like something in the world? It's now your raison d' etre to oppose it.

You must live an angry existence.

eoloeKyleranGlacianNexircaddictsMcSleaz

people that spend that amount of money on that garbage are the real definition of dumbass.

Care to disclose all your purchases so we can also judge your intelligence?
    maskedweaselircaddicts
  • user298user298 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Nice. Personally I played it without spending any money, but if other people enjoyed spending their own money on something in game - good for them. And good for developer who provides those people such convenience options instead of just forcing everyone to do mindless grinding. Hopefully this will encourage other developers to do the same ;-)
    maskedweaselSlapshot1188
    Bit of a misnomer to call it paying for a convenience on this case. Decade long grinds versus thousands of dollars.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    People these days invest so much energy in trying to make things they hate fail.  Youtubers make a living just posting how terrible Star Wars, Star Trek, Game of Thrones, Blizzard, Wheel of Time and such are.  And yeah I agree with that most of those have become horrible.  But in the end who cares.  For me, horrible prequels, sequels, and adaptations can never ruin the originals for me.

D:I was always going to be a money maker, especially once it entered China.  Getting upset over its success is futile.

maskedweaselKyleranircaddictsMcSleaz
  • PurplePepePurplePepe Member UncommonPosts: 122
    This is why PC gamers can't have nice things. The money people spend on mobile games is obscene.
    KyleranircaddictsMcSleaz
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985

flynn444 said:

How can you even claim its a vocal minority when even Ybarra says most players haven't spent money on the game? If ANYTHING it's the exact opposite of what you claim: A vocal MINORITY of players with Deep Pockets, perhaps even extreme minority... really like microtransactions.

eoloeKyleranFrodoFraginsTheDalaiBombaMcSleaz

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• eoloeeoloe Member RarePosts: 864
    flynn444 said:

Kyleran said:

flynn444 said:

Don't be like these guys 

LOL..Are you serious? Equating microtransactions in a video game to major 20th century injustices?

Listen bud. No one is making YOU jump off a cliff. No one is taking your money or jailing you. In fact, you can completely ignore the game and be just as happy.

But nah. You don't like something in the world? It's now your raison d' etre to oppose it.

Look at who is really exaggerating without even trying to understand.......................

And it's not because you are unhappy about it, that it would remove somebody the right to express oneself about how aggressive this monetization model is.

flynn444 said:

How can you even claim its a vocal minority when even Ybarra says most players haven't spent money on the game? If ANYTHING it's the exact opposite of what you claim: A vocal MINORITY of players with Deep Pockets, perhaps even extreme minority... really like microtransactions.

Yet ruin it for everyone.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

flynn444 said:

Kyleran said:

flynn444 said:

Don't be like these guys 

Well I was going to throw in Nazi's, but in light of society today it seemed like bad form.

;)

I'll take it down to a more petty level, just for you.

I hate ticket scalpers and scalping.  I wanted to go see Bruce Springsteen at his upcoming tour but despite my family all trying to login in when they went on sale they were all sold out in minutes, only to reappear shortly afterwards on multiple scalping websites for huge upcharges.

Legal, absolutely, but do I like it? FK no, if I ran the world scalpers of anything, including PS5's would all DIAF.

Of course I lead an angry existence, I'm a cat, it's always about us.

;)

waveslayerKidRisk