Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard Albany QA Testers Declare Intent to Unionize, Activision Blizzard Will Respond to the NLRB

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageBlizzard Albany QA Testers Declare Intent to Unionize, Activision Blizzard Will Respond to the NLRB | MMORPG.com

QA testers at Blizzard Albany, which was known as Vicarious Visions until recently, have announced their intent to unionize, forming Game Workers Alliance Albany.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Aren't QA testers like a dime a dozen?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Not sure, but are increasingly becoming unnecessary or obsolete with the push towards automated testing these days.

The development group I'm in got rid of the QA position about 5 years ago, most everyone these days are called developers who have to meet monthly code check in metrics.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    edited July 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Sometimes we need fantasy to survive reality 
    https://biturl.top/rU7bY3
    Beyond the shadows there's always light
  • gelraengelraen Member UncommonPosts: 316
    edited July 2022
    I'm no fan of Blizzard as a company, but I am a game developer myself. If our testers pushed to unionize I would absolutely respond by shutting down the entire department and outsource it from that point onwards (which is very easy these days).

I've noticed a trend in the decade and a half that I've worked in the business, with testers: they tend to get caught up in the fantasy that they are somehow part of the game dev team, when really they are viewed as more akin to cleaning or kitchen staff. You need kitchen and cleaning staff, absolutely, but it's a very, very replaceable position.
    Iselin
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    gelraen said:
    I'm no fan of Blizzard as a company, but I am a game developer myself. If our testers pushed to unionize I would absolutely respond by shutting down the entire department and outsource it from that point onwards (which is very easy these days).

I've noticed a trend in the decade and a half that I've worked in the business, with testers: they tend to get caught up in the fantasy that they are somehow part of the game dev team, when really they are viewed as more akin to cleaning or kitchen staff. You need kitchen and cleaning staff, absolutely, but it's a very, very replaceable position.
    Harsh, but probably true.

Kitchen and cleaning staff likely make more money.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    gelraen said:
     If our testers pushed to unionize I would absolutely respond by shutting down the entire department and outsource it from that point onwards (which is very easy these days).

Are you that afraid that you would no longer be able to 100% dictate wages and working conditions? This smacks of insecurity to me.

And BTW, welcome to having to negotiate with the outsource contractors lol.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TheDalaiBombaTheDalaiBomba Member EpicPosts: 1,493
    edited July 2022
    Kyleran said:

Not sure, but are increasingly becoming unnecessary or obsolete with the push towards automated testing these days.

The development group I'm in got rid of the QA position about 5 years ago, most everyone these days are called developers who have to meet monthly code check in metrics.

I'm not sure you can fully automate testing a software product like a video game.

It's function is far too subjective.  And players aren't a good substitute, either.  They sure will tell you when they're not having fun, but they're usually fairly tunnel-visioned and rarely do a good job of providing the details devs need to properly QA test a product imo.
  • DattelisDattelis Member RarePosts: 1,458
    I think the bigger news here is that Blizzard kept QA testers. I thought they laid off their QA division entirely like 3-4 years ago during that massive firing spree.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    edited July 2022
    gelraen said:

Sounds like where you work is just as shitty as Blizzard. In other software industries testers are an important part of the staff and reporting and finding defects and bugs; though the gaming industry is shitty as a whole.
    gelraen
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter