Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should More MMOs Revamp Older Questlines To Make Them More Streamlined? | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageShould More MMOs Revamp Older Questlines To Make Them More Streamlined? | MMORPG.com

Recently, Black Desert revamped its Balenos quest chain to make it a bit more streamlined for newer players. It got Bradford thinking: more MMORPGs should follow suit.

Read the full story here

Comments

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608
    edited July 2022
    If the content is clunky and does not make much sense then yes. But should it streamline it, I don't know, maybe it should be made more interesting?

I don't like the concept of racing to the end of an MMO and forgetting about past accomplishments, because otherwise why are they there?

A new player should go through the content because it's interesting and relevant to them.

The devs could evolve the experience and this would give a real feel of real life in a game, time has passed so things have changed.

I played RPG MMO because I want to feel like the adventurer are I create and have an experience. I didn't sign-up for loot boxes and speed progression just so I can roll on purples i "end game".
    SovrathGobstopper3DKylerandeniterJDexter
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    The quest chain you speak of in BDO seemed quickly thrown together and was poorly translated, so I would say sure.
    PetitSoldat
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• user298user298 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    edited July 2022
    Yea, they absolutely should. The thing is, many MMOs have a lot of "fluff", boring quests which do not even have significant impact on the main story even if they are a part of it, these were mostly used back when MMOs were just released and didn't have plenty of content or alternative ways of leveling and leveling was generally slow. But as the MMOs become older and become filled with various mechanics that can let you level faster in different ways - these fluff quests, even if they're a part of main story, become unnecessary and just become an annoyance (especially if they're mandatory) for most players. So they should definitely be eliminated as much as possible (as long as they don't have major impact on the story) after the game progressed far enough with new expansions/mechanics/content.

The best example I would use is FF14. In original "ARR" reboot (including all content patches before Heavensward expansion), it had HUGE amount of "fluff" quests, those included low level quests as well as over 100 of MANDATORY quests which you had to go through when you reached level 50. Most of these were very boring, unimaginative fetch quests and a lot of "pointless talking" quests which had very little impact on main story and which were generally very poorly presented. The game was heavily criticized for those, especially by new players (many of which were turned off by the amount of those generic filler quests), and as a person who overall did enjoy FF14's story and presentation - I agree with that criticism. The developers did actually trim some of them, as well as change some instanced content related to ARR to make it more streamlined, but even that is not enough, there's definitely more of those that can (and should) be eliminated.

KroxMalon said:

The devs could evolve the experience and this would give a real feel of real life in a game, time has passed so things have changed.

The only "evolving" developers should do is keep expanding the game with various tools for players so players themselves can create their own fully dynamic content which would keep existing players from leaving the game and would attract even more new players after they will hear about what's possible for players themselves to create. Content like player-held social events (various shows, music concerts, parties), player-created dungeons with fully custom design, player-created cosmetic items (which players themselves can sell through in-game store for real life currency, similar to artists who create and sell items for VRChat users now) and player-created large scale PvP conflicts with meaningful territory control.

Sadly vast majority of MMO developers are too stupid/lazy/narrow-sighted to provide players with such tools.
    Post edited by user298 on
    Kyleran
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    If content needs to be made more interesting or "better" then sure.

Depends on what streamlining means.

Kyleran
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I might be misunderstanding your point but it sounds like you're saying that MMOs that add new content exclusively to its endgame should make it easier or faster to get there. If that's what you mean then, no, I don't agree.

The problem with those games is that they add content exclusively to the end game so if you're new, you need to grind like crazy to see the new shiny zones. I think ESO has shown the industry that there's a better way to do it. 

BDO is also not really a good example since their quest stories have never really been a strong element of that game - any improvements to their quesing and storytelling mess is a good thing but not really relevant to games like FFXIV, LOTRO, ESO and other games that are already good at that.
    SovrathScotKyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    Maybe I'm reading into the work "streamline" too much. I don't like when expansions make the original game, and all the quests in the original game, obsolete.

If by "streamline" you mean make relevant again, maybe... but I'd rather see developers make expansions that don't destroy the original game.
    SovrathKylerandeniterUngood
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I think the answer to streamlining anything yes or no is always current state EQ2. I’ll leave the answer up to the reader.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,985
    edited July 2022
    BDO hardly has any quests, streamlining them is ridiculous, they need to add a ton instead. But don't worry players are getting more voice acted cut scenes. Whoopee!

Games are about playing not avoiding play or watching videos.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    I can see the author's argument, but maybe I was the only person disappointed by the streamlining Blizzard did to the original world content for Cataclysm.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• QuinnthalasQuinnthalas Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Its MMO design 101

If something is not well liked, instead of making it "better" just make it easier, or give them a mount/pet as a reward.

Then you can tout your metrics to the higher ups as though you did something amazing.
    Scot
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    The problem is that this "streamlining" commonly consists of removing much or even most of a game's content while making most of the rest so stupidly easy as to make you wish it were removed. A game that released 10+ years ago and has been steadily maintained ever since then should have an enormous amount of content available to play through. A few games like DDO and UWO manage to do this, but most either outright remove most of their content or leave it in an unmaintained and sometimes broken state so that it will be miserable to play through.

If you want new players to be willing to slog through your lower level content, you need to maintain it and make it interesting to play through. Increasing the base difficulty periodically to counteract years of power creep would often be a good start. But that tends to be the opposite of what game developers do.
    Scotetlar
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    In the original City of Heroes game there was too much content. Lots of missions that didn't mean anything. It was one of the early MMOs and options weren't developed yet. Now with all the progress on MMOs, I had hoped the legacy servers would trim some of those missions off. I can see each contact giving a simple mission to introduce a new villain group, a badge mission, and the one related to a story arc. No more of the "Defeat 25 Tsoo in Talos Island" type of missions.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,985
    Alverant said:
    In the original City of Heroes game there was too much content. Lots of missions that didn't mean anything. It was one of the early MMOs and options weren't developed yet. Now with all the progress on MMOs, I had hoped the legacy servers would trim some of those missions off. I can see each contact giving a simple mission to introduce a new villain group, a badge mission, and the one related to a story arc. No more of the "Defeat 25 Tsoo in Talos Island" type of missions.
    As long as you enjoy questing whats wrong with extra quests? But quality counts too, it is a balance between those two principles.
    ultimateduck
  • etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855
    FF14 Also "streamlined" their post ARR or pre Heavensward questline, they removed as much as they could, and it still feels very very long compared to newer versions,the problem is, atleast in ff14, that it is critical backstory, that is pretty much the buildup to 10 year long story.

Due to this, only 1 of my friends jumped onboard and is staying, rest left before getting out of ARR.

so this leaves somewhat of a conundrum..some players will never reach endgame, if they have to read or folllow a long story.

maybe the ones that just wants to run raids and dungeons, should get some tool to speed up or even skip story, but that would leave the rest feeling like they got abandoned, i dont know the solution, i just want to play with my friends :)
    Kyleran
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Alverant said:
    Defeat 25 Tsoo quests still exist on Homecoming last I played may be not 25 but some figure for sure. The reason it was very bad before was because there were no Tsoo to be found as every player would be hunting for them and they would be defeated as soon as they spawned. 

What I don't like was they removed the outdoor ambushes that would place high level mobs in low level zones if someone left an ambush behind. It used to add such danger and the cries for help across the server when it happened. I think it removed an essential method higher level players could rush and help in lower level zones.

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    If for some reason older questlines are now problematic in the modern game they should be updated. Otherwise it doesn't much matter one way or the other.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,853
    etlar said:
    FF14 Also "streamlined" their post ARR or pre Heavensward questline, they removed as much as they could, and it still feels very very long compared to newer versions,the problem is, atleast in ff14, that it is critical backstory, that is pretty much the buildup to 10 year long story.

Due to this, only 1 of my friends jumped onboard and is staying, rest left before getting out of ARR.

so this leaves somewhat of a conundrum..some players will never reach endgame, if they have to read or folllow a long story.

maybe the ones that just wants to run raids and dungeons, should get some tool to speed up or even skip story, but that would leave the rest feeling like they got abandoned, i dont know the solution, i just want to play with my friends :)

FF14 has many bad quests in ARR. They have little to do with the main story and are just bad mechanically.

So many quests that are just "go here, talk to person, then go here and click on something or kill 1 to 3 enemies, return to person, return to quest giver"

They could get rid of more quests or condense them down.
    Kyleranetlar
  • etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855

Xiaoki said:

etlar said:

FF14 has many bad quests in ARR. They have little to do with the main story and are just bad mechanically.

So many quests that are just "go here, talk to person, then go here and click on something or kill 1 to 3 enemies, return to person, return to quest giver"

They could get rid of more quests or condense them down.

Im in the middle of this for the 2nd time now, as a lvl 52 PLD so far, (there was 2 new servers added that give bonus xp and 1mill gil to start anew there, did so a few days ago)

and i agree with everything you said, sadly.
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320

Scot said:

Alverant said:

As long as you enjoy questing whats wrong with extra quests? But quality counts too, it is a balance between those two principles.

Back then you couldn't pause earning XP and you can level out of some story arcs due to the pre-arc grind.
    Scot