Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blue Protocol: Why People Are Hoping It Comes to The West

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
Post edited by StevenWeber on

Comments

• KorwynKorwyn Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Most of us are happy there is no PVP, the toxic nature of PVP ruins games in many different ways, from having to balance both PVP and PVE, (often with PVE suffering as a result), and the just plain toxic nature of PVP players in general. For me and many others, lack of PVP is a big plus!
    DekahnScott_JeslisKatagiriMorfo2k61977sakinolVrikaZenJellyMendelKaylessand 20 others.
  • ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 317

Korwyn said:

Most of us are happy there is no PVP, the toxic nature of PVP ruins games in many different ways, from having to balance both PVP and PVE, (often with PVE suffering as a result), and the just plain toxic nature of PVP players in general. For me and many others, lack of PVP is a big plus!

They ruin them for you. But forgive "most" of us if we don't recognize you as the official spokesperson for the MMO genre.
    eoloeZenJellyChildoftheShadowsKaylessSarlaYashaXMcSleazKidRiskPetitSoldatLackingMMOand 5 others.
  • Morfo2Morfo2 Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Take all the time you need, I just want a perfect MMO to get addicted to as I was many years ago with Runescape.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Sometimes we need fantasy to survive reality 
    https://biturl.top/rU7bY3
    Beyond the shadows there's always light
  • eoloeeoloe Member RarePosts: 864
    Korwyn said:
    PvP ruins games? No. In Albion it does make the game. Same in Eve. GW1 had one of the best PvP ever.

Sometimes PvP provides an endless reason to play when PvE content is exhausted.

Sometimes PvP is the real reason to do PvE.

But whatever... PvE only games can be fun too... until you finish them or get bored of them.
    ZenJellyMendelYashaXLackingMMOChildoftheShadows
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503

Korwyn said:

I agree with this sentiment, but for me it isn't the toxic nature that is the most important part. It is the fact that they are not going to waste a crap ton of resources and time on it. Instead that time is going to be spent making a great PVE experience.

Think of the resources not needed to re-balance skills over and over because they are to strong for PVP or under preforming in PVP. I know they will still balance skills over time, but devs have a tendency to go overboard when they are trying to balance between the two game modes.

One of the worst things in gaming is devs trying to do it all or bring in all the different types of players. When they stop doing that and make a game for a set of players instead the games tend to be better for those players.

Don't get me wrong I do enjoy the occasional PVP, but not every game has to have PVP or PVE. You can have a grate PVP game with no PVE and vice versus.
    hayes303ZenJellyKaylessTokkenAlverantAsm0deusYashaXMcSleazPetitSoldatKSiband 2 others.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    eoloe said:
    Korwyn said:
    PvP ruins games? No. In Albion it does make the game. Same in Eve. GW1 had one of the best PvP ever.

But whatever... PvE only games can be fun too... until you finish them or get bored of them.

I think you've touched on the real problem with PvE -- the static nature of its content.

A limited amount of content is going to seem repetitive once you've been through it once.  Playing a game is too much like reading a novel, the first read through may be great, but it becomes less an experience to treasure with repetitive readings.  This, from someone who read Lord of the Rings yearly (and occasionally multiple times a year) from his late teens through his forties.

Computer games have the *potential* to let advanced software to create the story and let players loose in a 'virtual' world.  To date, there hasn't been the development of the AI and other tools to have the computer build content for us.  The industry hasn't really progressed beyond its static hand-curated content creation phase.  They are content to take the money and run.

Dynamic content is the future, but far too few companies are looking into that for it to become a reality in my lifetime.  That's on them (I've been trying to live as slowly as possible).

Plant a field of corn, and the lotus will eat all the content.  Plant a never-ending, self-changing field of corn, and even the hungriest content lotus will eventually be full.

YashaX

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• slowz2secretslowz2secret Member RarePosts: 407

Chaserz said:

Korwyn said:

They ruin them for you. But forgive "most" of us if we don't recognize you as the official spokesperson for the MMO genre.

people have a big hype for this game, and they know the game do not have pvp, so yes, most of us.
    WarzodshetlandslarsenAlverantMcSleazPetitSoldatKSib
  • WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 495
    The hypocrisy that annoys me is that if you go over to a game like Sea of Thieves and dare mention PvE servers they rip your head off and tell you to get out and go play another game carebear. But when a PvE only game comes out all of a sudden it is supposed to be completely acceptable for the PvP players to stamp their feet and complain. Hey, I have an idea. Go play another game.
    KrisConwayTokkenSensaishetlandslarsenAlverantottejeMcSleazSovrathk61977KidRiskand 5 others.
  • SarlaSarla Member UncommonPosts: 316
    PvP is fine as long as it has its place in the game, being ganked while you're trying to do PvE is not fun and I don't play those kinda of games anymore.
    AlverantCogohi
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320

Mendel said:

eoloe said:

Korwyn said:

I think you've touched on the real problem with PvE -- the static nature of its content.

OTOH if the content is good enough, people won't mind repeating it. There's also the nature of the characters. In City of Heroes you could make a wide variety of characters so could attack a problem in different ways. Plus, the content in the game was varied and exciting. It still is when compared to other MMOs.

PvP also lets people relax in different ways. In EVE you always have to be looking over your shoulder while resource harvesting. In Earth & Beyond I remember going into a zen state just harvesting gas clouds and asteroids. Good times.
    Kyleran
  • QuinnthalasQuinnthalas Member UncommonPosts: 34

Korwyn said:

I was not interested in the game in the slightest until I read that they were leaving out the Excuse for every balance issue any mmo ever had and the cause of 50% of the drama (Elitism around high end PVE being the other half).

Theres enough gank boxes being made by lazy devs who succumbed to the "make the players the content" myth to satisfy the PVP audience.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Alverant said:

Mendel said:

eoloe said:

Korwyn said:

OTOH if the content is good enough, people won't mind repeating it. There's also the nature of the characters. In City of Heroes you could make a wide variety of characters so could attack a problem in different ways. Plus, the content in the game was varied and exciting. It still is when compared to other MMOs.
    <snip>

Has there really been any content that was good enough to retain people?

CoH, maybe the best example, was shut down.  NCSoft said it due to a change in focus, but I'd be willing to say that there was probably some concern over subscriptions falling and revenues dropping that may have played a behind-the-scenes role.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320

Mendel said:

Alverant said:

Mendel said:

eoloe said:

Korwyn said:

<snip>

Has there really been any content that was good enough to retain people?

CoH, maybe the best example, was shut down.  NCSoft said it due to a change in focus, but I'd be willing to say that there was probably some concern over subscriptions falling and revenues dropping that may have played a behind-the-scenes role.

CoH was 8 years old when it was sundowned and still profitable even without major support from NCSoft. There's a legal fan-run sever that's been going on since 2018 which had a few updates too. So we we have a game running for 12 years. So I'd say the content and game is good enough to retain people.
  • AngrakhanAngrakhan Member EpicPosts: 1,164
    "One of the biggest factors that drive people away from MMOs is the subscription model."

Do you have any research to substantiate that claim? I'm dubious that's true. The shift to the F2P model was driven far more by the publishers, who figured out through scientific research that the F2P model was far more addictive and thus profitable than it was the players having a problem with the subscription.

The idea players somehow don't have the financial means to pay the sub, but they somehow DO have the means to pay for DLC and cash shop items is a bit far fetched as well.

I think you'll find the average customer who actually spends money on a F2P title spends on average WAY more than they would on a box price + sub for the same amount of play time. THAT is why so many games are F2P, not that players can't afford the sub.

I mean seriously, I literally just payed $65 to take my family out for dinner. ONE meal. We weren't there even an hour. You think I can't afford $15/mo sub?
  • DattelisDattelis Member RarePosts: 1,456
    This isn't using gacha is it? Once I found out that Tower of Fantasy is gacha, I lost interest.
    KSib
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Warzod said:
    The hypocrisy that annoys me is that if you go over to a game like Sea of Thieves and dare mention PvE servers they rip your head off and tell you to get out and go play another game carebear. But when a PvE only game comes out all of a sudden it is supposed to be completely acceptable for the PvP players to stamp their feet and complain. Hey, I have an idea. Go play another game.
    I haven't seen any if that here. You ok?
  • KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608

Korwyn said:

FF14 proves you can have PVP and a non-toxix community. There is PVP the fact players are not that interested in it could play a part in that, ie; maybe the FF players are less toxic because we don't PVP as much... :)
    Korwyn
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    You can PvP without being antisocial, its about the who the players are not the game-style. 
  • DattelisDattelis Member RarePosts: 1,456
    KroxMalon said:

Korwyn said:

FF14 proves you can have PVP and a non-toxix community. There is PVP the fact players are not that interested in it could play a part in that, ie; maybe the FF players are less toxic because we don't PVP as much... :)

The savage and even extreme scene can be pretty toxic though....lol
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Scot said:
    You can PvP without being antisocial, its about the who the players are not the game-style. 
    Maybe, but smack talking ones opponents in competitive activities is taught from a very early age, at least here in the States.

I recall playing bantum league baseball at 7 years old and they had us catcall our opponents whenever they came up to bat.

I still remember it to this day, "he can't hit, he can't hit, batta, batta, batta, he can't hit."

Only got worse as we grew older.

Meanwhile, I don't recall a batting cage machine ever calling me names.

;)
    ScotMendel

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MrdGamezMrdGamez Member UncommonPosts: 58
    That game won't come to the west ever, I doubt it would even succeed and if so it would be a niche game. Like that other game Throne of Liberty that is supposed to come out in the west this year, what is confirmed but we have no new info about a alpha or beta and no one knows how badly the MTX system will be like with all Asian MMO's that come to the west.
    Korwyn
  • hovsep159hovsep159 Member UncommonPosts: 39
    edited July 2022
    i'd rather have a mmorpg that focuses on either pvp or pve and makes it as good as possible then just make a half asses pve/pvp hybrid mmo like any other mmorpg.

pvp also limits on the type of combat you can add since it has to be balanced if you try to shove in pvp.

having blue protocol be purely pve will let them use alot more resources in making pve good by making a good story, quests,world, dungeons, etc. and not having to worry about pvp will let them make and tune the combat for pve making it alot more immersive and fantastical like dragons dogma (casting classes would get fucked if it had pvp).
    Korwyn