Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

wow on life support

124»

Comments

• KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by smitty0356
    It has become the Detroit of mmo's. 

NAILED IT.

• 4getting20094getting2009 Member UncommonPosts: 178
    Originally posted by Wolfshead
    Originally posted by Robokapp

WoW's subscription numbers drop to second place among MMOs for the first time in 40 years. In other news the Moon Colony reaches 100,000 inhabitants.

I did not know the WoW have been around for 40 years and think i was there at start omg im that old!!! i think you mean in 10 year.

WOOOOOOOOOSSSHHHHH!!!!!!

• "Subs still high!!"

"They make *conversion of number of subs times 14.99 USD* a month!!!!"

Did people forget that a vast majority of the player base, or anyone with a full up-to-date garrison, can make the amount of gold required to sub in a couple of days? Am I the only one who understands that it's not black and white anymore? Hello?!

• dreamsfadedreamsfade Member UncommonPosts: 339
    Originally posted by 4getting2009

WoW's subscription numbers drop to second place among MMOs for the first time in 40 years. In other news the Moon Colony reaches 100,000 inhabitants.

I did not know the WoW have been around for 40 years and think i was there at start omg im that old!!! i think you mean in 10 year.

WOOOOOOOOOSSSHHHHH!!!!!!

He's been scalped. LOL

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

They can still afford the janitorial staff that cleans the gold plated toilet seats after an executive poops. They're just fine.

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Kirzan

"Subs still high!!"

Did people forget that a vast majority of the player base, or anyone with a full up-to-date garrison, can make the amount of gold required to sub in a couple of days? Am I the only one who understands that it's not black and white anymore? Hello?!

That hasn't been a meaningful approximation since they started counting Asia subscribers and offering paid services.  Now that they have a full blown cash shop it's even less accurate than ever.  So no, the WoW Token just made an already horrible approximation a little less accurate. 

• ErdaErda Member UncommonPosts: 211

While I've enjoyed my third revisit to WoW over the many years I've played, my time is growing short again in game.   Hubby and I were two expansion behind so I've felt that I've gotten our money's worth out of our time playing.  I really don't have any regrets.  Now we find ourselves in a daily grind situation and for what?  We don't really raid nor do a whole lot of group activities.   With so many games out there including single player ones I've never played, I'm going to taper off of WoW and give some other titles a good try.  I will get my Draenor flying at some point.  I would like to complete one last achievement to get my drake for all the world events.   Then I will unsubscribe and wait again for a new expansion.

With that said, I have such negative feelings about Warlords of Draenor at this point.  I really feel as if Blizzard has sucked some of the fun out of the game.   The Tanaan jungle seems so very uninspired.   The developers managed to nerf garrison missions into dull boring activities.  I know they wanted to decrease the gold from garrisons and get folks out in the world again.   But if you are going to do that, at least substitute it with interesting stuff to obtain.   Even the naval missions I find lackluster.   Now they are just dreadfully boring.  I have enough real life daily chores to do.   I've been doodling around with new alts and such but there are only so many times I can see the same zones and do the same things.   Even my long time WoW playing friend who will stay around until the servers are shut down sees garrisons as very uninspired.   She is creating yet more alts and will do her endless fishing routines I guess until the next expansion hits in a year or so.   And work on achievements I guess.

Anyway, I will be on to other games.   I'm playing ESO again and when Wildstar goes F2P, I may try it.  I do love housing and heard that they have a great system.   And there are numerous single player games out there to try.   I'm sure that WoW is doing just fine subscription wise and isn't on life support.  However I do feel that the game is lacking something at this point.   I still think it is a fine game.....but sadly it isn't doing anything for me.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

"Subs still high!!"

Yes, I think we all realize that tokens can be paid with by gold. Those tokens, though? They're all bought and paid for by someone using an actual currency. Even if 90% of their player base renewed their subscriptions through tokens, from the auction house, Blizzard would be making exactly the same revenue as if 0% of their customers were using them (more, I think, since the tokens are 20 bucks and the actual subscriptions are 14.99 per thirty days).

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865

Not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Lawlmonster

"Subs still high!!"

Yes, I think we all realize that tokens can be paid with by gold. Those tokens, though? They're all bought and paid for by someone using an actual currency. Even if 90% of their player base renewed their subscriptions through tokens, from the auction house, Blizzard would be making exactly the same revenue as if 0% of their customers were using them (more, I think, since the tokens are 20 bucks and the actual subscriptions are 14.99 per thirty days).

It's rather genius when you look at it that way.  They managed to both raise the subscription fee by 33% on a large number of players while at the same time making it dramatically easier for those players to stay subscribed.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

WoW never had 10 million or whatever subscribers. Well, it technically did.

But, that is REGISTERED users. So at one point they may have been a subscriber, but no longer. WoW only had 500k or so at most (CURRENT subs, not total registered) at peak like most other MMOs do.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

WoW never had 10 million or whatever subscribers. Well, it technically did.

But, that is REGISTERED users. So at one point they may have been a subscriber, but no longer. WoW only had 500k or so at most (CURRENT subs, not total registered) at peak like most other MMOs do.

Please not this again.

Activision Blizzard report "paying subscribers" in their formal reports to shareholders. The "be heavily fined with possible jail time if they lie" reports. How much money WoW is making and might make going forward impacts the share price. There will be nothing fake about the report.

And in their last report WoW made c. $270M in the quarter. (Exact number in SEC filing). 

So if WoW only had 500k at most subscribers then they paid, on average, $180 a month or more. Each month for three months; $540 in total. Alternatively WoW had 7.1M subscribers paying an average of c. $13 a month.

The number of registered users they gave out - last year I think it was was - was over 100M.

• GrummusGrummus Member UncommonPosts: 151
    kartool said:
    Hahaha, read it here first folks. The most popular MMO ever made that has millions of subs is on life support.
    Yeah lol
  • BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 567
    Grummus said:
    kartool said:
    Hahaha, read it here first folks. The most popular MMO ever made that has millions of subs is on life support.
    Yeah lol

• meteorwindmeteorwind Member UncommonPosts: 8
    I returned after not playing since right before BfA came out and I was severely disappointed in what they had done with the place. They have really tried hard to push their pagan religions down people's throats and just keep making everything easier and easier. This last expansion was just terrible. As for a general decline I doubt that will really happen all at once unless they really screw something up.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    Wow can't die, 0nly decent game to play with all the crap that is out there in the gaming world. I keep coming back to it b/c there is nothing else to play.
    strawhat0981

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    As long as Bobby is still there pulling in his 30M per year, I dont think Blizzard is in any kind of trouble.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DattelisDattelis Member RarePosts: 1,454
    People have been saying wow had been on life support since cata, so idk.....
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    As long as the newer games are unable to to provide a rich, interesting and immersive worlds games like WoW won't die. Even then the number of private servers that run WoW with different expansions grow all the time and are launched to various degrees of success.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    If any of us has to go on life support, I hope we do as well as WoW is. ;)