Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Maxroll discontinues Diablo Immortal coverage

IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
Maxroll, the web site with top tier coverage of the ARPGs they cover (Diablo 3, D2R, Lost Ark, and soon, POE) has decided to stop covering DI.

https://maxroll.gg/

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
― CD PROJEKT RED

DattelisScot

Comments

• DattelisDattelis Member RarePosts: 1,458
    edited June 2022
    I honestly dont blame them. The main draw for mobile titles or gacha games is usually the 'new' thing, so I'm kind of afraid for D:I's already heavy monetization either staying as heavy or getting heavier after updates. And yes, I know the game can be played completely free and 'you' and 'your friends' are having a great time doing so, but stuff like this affects everyone differently. Not to mention that the 'regurgitated loot' aspect usually known in ARPGs is the main thing being monetized. That's like telling a raider in a mmorpg that at least they got to experience the raid even though the loot is behind a paywall (which Neverwinter kind of does with dungeon keys).
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Depending on the coverage it makes sense not to really follow games like this. I'm not familiar with that site, but if it has builds and end game stuff, mobile games are just way too expensive to trailblaze. 

As someone who has whaled in games before, the amount of money you spend is extremely stupid. Most niche sites wouldn't have the capital to keep up with this stuff. Especially when you get into sites that specialize in the best builds... think about what you would have to spend to do all that. 

Makes sense to me.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    edited June 2022
    I have to imagine their D3 content creators were most disappointed and hurt by this.  I know that Raxx was hoping the game would be great and allow him to stream something other than D3 at least a month per D3 season.  Wudijo probably had similar feelings.

I'm sure they have all of their hopes pinned on D4 delivering and hopefully it does.  Because I just can't see any D3 streamers returning to that game even if D4 flops.

Raxx seemed a bit too hopeful towards D4 with his willingness to test the crap out of it and provide massive feedback like he did with D:I.  He's a good guy so I hope it works out for him. 

Non maxroll guys like Alkhaizer, Quin69 and Datmodz found greater success when they moved to POE years ago.  But it's too late to join that train now and maybe being the D3 guys will help them when D4 launches. 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited June 2022
    I have to imagine their D3 content creators were most disappointed and hurt by this.  I know that Raxx was hoping the game would be great and allow him to stream something other than D3 at least a month per D3 season.  Wudijo probably had similar feelings.

I'm sure they have all of their hopes pinned on D4 delivering and hopefully it does.  Because I just can't see any D3 streamers returning to that game even if D4 flops.

Raxx seemed a bit too hopeful towards D4 with his willingness to test the crap out of it and provide massive feedback like he did with D:I.  He's a good guy so I hope it works out for him. 

Non maxroll guys like Alkhaizer, Quin69 and Datmodz found greater success when they moved to POE years ago.  But it's too late to join that train now and maybe being the D3 guys will help them when D4 launches. 
    I'm still curious to see how they cover POE not just as streamers but as a written games site.

It's the written news, guides, builds. etc. that draws my to that site, I still rather get my games info in written form.

Their site is also pretty slick with pop-ups of gear, skills, etc. when you hover the hyperlinks and I appreciated their level sliders for skill changes in their leveling guides. Useful in a game like Lost Ark that was brand new to me when I played it for a bit a few months back.
    Kyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    You seem to still be able to read all the guides to builds, I guess this means no more new stuff?
    Iselin
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Scot said:
    You seem to still be able to read all the guides to builds, I guess this means no more new stuff?
    They will be removing those at a later time so people can still use them for now. But you are right, no more new stuff.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Scot said:
    I didn't notice that. They put so much work into for so many months that they're probably having a tough time letting go lol.

Also they did say this:

"Finally, as a team we discussed "What would it take for us to re-open the Immortal Branch"? Aside from severely limiting the infinite Pay-to-Win system and giving Free-to-Play players a real chance, we don't see a path forward for us."

So they left the door ever so slightly open if significant changes are made. IMO, I don't see that happening ever but hey, you never know.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Iselin said:
    Scot said:
    I didn't notice that. They put so much work into for so many months that they're probably having a tough time letting go lol.

Also they did say this:

"Finally, as a team we discussed "What would it take for us to re-open the Immortal Branch"? Aside from severely limiting the infinite Pay-to-Win system and giving Free-to-Play players a real chance, we don't see a path forward for us."

So they left the door ever so slightly open if significant changes are made. IMO, I don't see that happening ever but hey, you never know.
    Quoting the team on the guides not being removed:

Our community matters more than anything else to us, so we're keeping all guides live on the site for a short period of time (no further updates will be made). 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Iselin said:
    Scot said:

Also they did say this:

It is quite understandable that having put so much work in you don't want to bin what you have done. If they leave that up I would not blame them.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    lahnmir said:
    Iselin said:
    Scot said:

Also they did say this:

Quoting the team on the guides not being removed:

Our community matters more than anything else to us, so we're keeping all guides live on the site for a short period of time (no further updates will be made). 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I also understand why they'll take the guides down in a short while, builds in ARPGs or MMORPGS change fairly often and they wouldn't want to be known for sharing guides with outdated info.

But I wonder if the real reason they are leaving off is if Blizzard isn't giving streamer sights special access.

In POE steamers are given free early access to upcoming updates so they can experiment and update their build prior to the launch date.

Seems like streamers have to pay like everyone else in DI and considering the cost I image few mobile titles are covered in depth because of it.
    eoloe

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    Why isn't there any news on diablo immortal sales beyond week 2.  I presume it isn't doing well else there would be more news on it.  
    AAAMEOW said:
    Why isn't there any news on diablo immortal sales beyond week 2.  I presume it isn't doing well else there would be more news on it.  
    I think that's just wishful thinking. It has over 5 million downloads on play store and it's in the top 20 of top grossing apps out of over 2 million apps. 

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if immortal bankrolled the development for the rest of the franchise for a while. Not because it's good, but because it's free and a lot of people will play it just because it's diablo. 
    eoloe

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    AAAMEOW said:

The game is now established such that they have no need to crow about it further. The profits they derive will now speak of their success for them.
    eoloe
  • TheDalaiBombaTheDalaiBomba Member EpicPosts: 1,493
    edited July 2022
    AAAMEOW said:
    I think that's just wishful thinking. It has over 5 million downloads on play store and it's in the top 20 of top grossing apps out of over 2 million apps. 

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if immortal bankrolled the development for the rest of the franchise for a while. Not because it's good, but because it's free and a lot of people will play it just because it's diablo. 
    We shall see- the first two weeks weren't actually that impressive for a premier mobile release.

Genshin's revenue did not go up over time, like some here think D:I's will.

I have a hunch shareholders came away with this wondering why a studio teetering on the brink of PR oblivion released a game that's done nothing special beyond garnering the studio more incredibly negative PR.

I guess any cash made off a low effort port to mobile is easy cash, though.
    maskedweaselBrainy
    AAAMEOW said:

We shall see- the first two weeks weren't actually that impressive for a premier mobile release.

I have a hunch shareholders came away with this wondering why a studio teetering on the brink of PR oblivion released a game that's done nothing special beyond garnering the studio more incredibly negative PR.

Not sure what they spent to make the game. 

But if Android had 5 million + downloads (probably more but app downloads only report in chunks, the next one is 10M so it won't show until it surpasses that.) and iOS shows it as number 6 in top downloaded apps, (sensor tower shows 8 million worldwide), if each spent only a dollar a month I'm sure Blizzard would be over the moon. 

But then we have these ridiculous streamer clowns dropping like 50K or whatever for a special drop... 

They probably won't increase in revenue over time but as long as we have fools like that out there, Blizzard is going to make a killing.
    TheDalaiBomba

• eoloeeoloe Member RarePosts: 864

The last banner of Genshin brought record sales.

Never underestimate the waifu/husbando power.
    maskedweasel
    eoloe said:

The last banner of Genshin brought record sales.

Never underestimate the waifu/husbando power.
    Agreed- but this was with a new content release.

Tracking Genshin's revenue at release of the game itself, it did not go up over time due to more pressure on whales to spend.  The pressure started and was indulged by whales from the outset.

I can see D:I getting a bump from Chinese release or a new class release, but not as-is.
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    Some news says Diablo Immortal made 47.9 million in June.  I dont' know if the source is reliable.  

https://www.aroged.com/2022/07/01/diablo-immortal-earned-47-9-million-in-its-first-month-of-sales/
    maskedweaselKyleranTheDalaiBomba
  • BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    $47 mil isn't really impressive.  Diablo 3 sold 30 million copies.  Even at an average of $30 each that would be $900 million. Plus expansions and such.

With all the talk that mobile games have so much more market share and profitability over PC & Consoles combined, $47 mil is not that impressive to me.  They better hope they keep having months like that.

If DI would have sold for $20 with a less intrusive cash shop they would have cleared 1 billion easy IMO.
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    Brainy said:
    $47 mil isn't really impressive.  Diablo 3 sold 30 million copies.  Even at an average of $30 each that would be $900 million. Plus expansions and such.

With all the talk that mobile games have so much more market share and profitability over PC & Consoles combined, $47 mil is not that impressive to me.  They better hope they keep having months like that.

If DI would have sold for $20 with a less intrusive cash shop they would have cleared 1 billion easy IMO.

Fortnite made $5.6 Billion in 2021, so an average of maybe $500 million per month. And there is no P2W at all, it is all cosmetics.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

Aori said:
    AAAMEOW said:

That isn't correct with regards to Genshin, Genshin is spikey and it is all dependent on the character released.

The first Zhongli banner did poor, the second Zhongli banner did record sales. Same goes for Ganyu. Then you have periods of albedo where they just plummet in revenue.

Content never drove sales.
    New characters being released is content.

You seem to disagree a lot just for the sake of disagreeing.
    OldKingLog
  • OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 564
    Aori said:
    AAAMEOW said:

That isn't correct with regards to Genshin, Genshin is spikey and it is all dependent on the character released.

The first Zhongli banner did poor, the second Zhongli banner did record sales. Same goes for Ganyu. Then you have periods of albedo where they just plummet in revenue.

Content never drove sales.
    New characters being released is content.

You seem to disagree a lot just for the sake of disagreeing.

I disagree!
    TheDalaiBomba