Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shadowrun Trilogy Review - The RPG Files

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
Post edited by lotrlore on

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    This is a blast from the not-to-distant past, I would thoroughly recommend them. When is the last time you payed attention to your build? Well we did far more often back in 2013. The games are just solid all rounders.

As I am playing my share of ports from console I don't begrudge them nabbing a few of ours. But the console version being better than the PC? Maybe Mitch is taking too much Nitro that negative Int modify is kicking in. :)
    MallyxLark3m
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Scot said:
    This is a blast from the not-to-distant past, I would thoroughly recommend them. When is the last time you payed attention to your build? Well we did far more often back in 2013. The games are just solid all rounders.

As I am playing my share of ports from console I don't begrudge them nabbing a few of ours. But the console version being better than the PC? Maybe Mitch is taking too much Nitro that negative Int modify is kicking in. :)
    I last played a Shadowrun game back in the 90s...or was that Traveler's?

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:

;)
    Did it feature the usual fantasy suspects (Dwarf, Elf) in a cyberpunk setting (Shadowrun) or was it mostly humans in a space opera setting (Traveller). :)
  • karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Kyleran said:

Scot said:

;)

There was a game each released for the SNES and Genesis, both very different but both very good if you are into rpg's of that time that had a deep story focus and didn't hold your hand at all. These 'new' games are meant as a return to the SNES style of game, worth the pickup imo.
  • KratierKratier Member RarePosts: 626
    i recommend avoiding the first one in the trilogy its really like a bare bones first attempt with hardly any RPG elements. It killed any desire for me to play the next 2 games. if youre interested, check out the hong kong one, i hear its the best.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I do love this series. There were some great characters.
    Chamber of Chains
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:

;)
    Did it feature the usual fantasy suspects (Dwarf, Elf) in a cyberpunk setting (Shadowrun) or was it mostly humans in a space opera setting (Traveller). :)
    Ahh, it was the latter, definitely a space opera setting.

Still, I seem to recall the cover of one Shadowrun RPG, sometime in the early 90s, will have to look it up and check.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

karmath said:

Kyleran said:

Scot said:

;)

There was a game each released for the SNES and Genesis, both very different but both very good if you are into rpg's of that time that had a deep story focus and didn't hold your hand at all. These 'new' games are meant as a return to the SNES style of game, worth the pickup imo.
    Thanks, just checked and I think it was the Sega Genesis version as my children had that console and I think I bought Shadowrun to check out for myself.

Must not have really played it much, I was and still am a mouse and keyboard guy, never liked or mastered using a controller.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    I played the first one and liked it up until the last mission. Turned out you needed to use a shotgun on the enemies and I had no skill in it. That was years ago. I may reinstall the game and start over with this in mind.
    Kyleran
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    edited June 2022

Kyleran said:

Scot said:

;)

I remember a Traveller's game back in the 80s/90s. That's an underused IP. I bet a person can make a pretty good game with that. Probably the same people who did the Shadowrun games.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Loved Shadowrun Returns but somehow I never picked up the other two.

This article got me interested so I checked Steam and the "deluxe trilogy" is on sale for $14.71 CDN. Couldn't pass that up.

Thanks Mitch. Steam owes you.

Splattr
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SplattrSplattr Member RarePosts: 543

Kyleran said:

karmath said:

Kyleran said:

Scot said:

;)

Thanks, just checked and I think it was the Sega Genesis version as my children had that console and I think I bought Shadowrun to check out for myself.

Must not have really played it much, I was and still am a mouse and keyboard guy, never liked or mastered using a controller.

I'm right there with you on being a mouse and keyboard guy. This has to be the one time that I actually prefer the controller version over mouse and keyboard, it just worked really well for me. If you can't bring yourself to pick up a controller though, as Iselin mentioned, you can get all three games for less than $10 on Steam - https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/26635/Shadowrun_Trilogy/