Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Activision Blizzard Re-Elects Bobby Kotick To Board of Directors, Rejects Employee Representation

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
Post edited by StevenWeber on

Comments

• urriel1970urriel1970 Member UncommonPosts: 120
    man they keep shooting themselves in the foot..
    GroqstrongDekahnAsm0deus
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    Blizzard: Dont you have phones?

Community: Dont you have brains?
    TruvidiennValentinaZenJellyDekahnAsm0deus
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    edited June 2022
    Probably gave him a raise too....What man can feed his family on only 30 million dollars a year?...and yes we will be paying for it
    PetitSoldatGroqstrongAsm0deus
  • PetitSoldatPetitSoldat Member UncommonPosts: 133
    What a joke! Bobby Kotick is the reason why we lose faith in humanity.
    ZenJelly
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    MadLovin said:
    What a joke! Bobby Kotick is the reason why we lose faith in humanity.
    Actually as they just showed, it isn't just him. The whole public company thing with investors that don't give a shit about game quality or ethics of any sort is the real problem that keeps putting the Bobby Koticks of the world in charge.
    GroqstrongZenJelly[Deleted User]Asm0deusOldKingLogMcSleaz
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Not surprising since, for all the shitty things he's done over the years, he's probably made them a boat load of money during his time at the top. They probably want to keep him around for the sale to Microsoft to ensure a smooth transition. Still hope he gets gonorrhea or something else that's non-life threatening.
    IselincheyaneTruvidiennAsm0deus

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846
    A massive company is not going to change CEOs in the middle of a $60 Billion acquisition.

And nothing will change once Activision Blizzard is under Microsoft. As we've seen several times this year alone Microsoft's "hands off" approach to management has caused huge problems for the companies they already own.
    Asm0deus
  • DarkpigeonDarkpigeon Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Good grief. Just when you think there's the slight possibility that progress is being made.
    ZenJelly
  • ZenJellyZenJelly Member UncommonPosts: 260
    YES!
    Xarko
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Probably gave him a raise too....What man can feed his family on only 30 million dollars a year?...and yes we will be paying for it

We?

I haven't given Blizz any money since 2010.

Asm0deus[Deleted User]McSleazDarkpigeon

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Is this the part where I repeat ‘Capitalism and basic Human Rights are mutually exclusive?’

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]Margravewaveslayer
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    WOW!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    edited June 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Sometimes we need fantasy to survive reality 
    https://biturl.top/rU7bY3
    Beyond the shadows there's always light
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    lahnmir said:
    Is this the part where I repeat ‘Capitalism and basic Human Rights are mutually exclusive?’

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    edited June 2022
    I think it is fair for a director to be re-elected unless allegations were proven against him. This trial by media has to stop, lets see the court case, lets hear a verdict then you can say he is not fit for the job.

Incidentally I think he is culpable and should go. But I don't think it is down to media journalists and a social media mob to make that decision. Everyone deserves their day in court before they loose their job and are branded as a deviant. Likewise considering the amount and depth of the allegations I think he should face a courtroom; but that also is down to the legal system, not social media.
    KyleranDarkpigeon
  • TheDalaiBombaTheDalaiBomba Member EpicPosts: 1,493
    edited June 2022
    Scot said:
    I think it is fair for a director to be re-elected unless allegations were proven against him. This trial by media has to stop, lets see the court case, lets hear a verdict then you can say he is not fit for the job.

Incidentally I think he is culpable and should go. But I don't think it is down to media journalists and a social media mob to make that decision. Everyone deserves their day in court before they loose their job and are branded as a deviant. Likewise considering the amount and depth of the allegations I think he should face a courtroom; but that also is down to the legal system, not social media.
    You do not deserve a day in court to keep your job.

Not to discount your overall point, but holding companies hostage to employees short of a criminal conviction (or even civil liability) is absolutely, 1,000,000%, positively, objectively *not* a good idea.

Just as an apropos example of why: generally, making crude jokes about titties and vaginas in front of women who do not want to hear you make them is still not illegal.  If we take your position regarding employment, nothing can be done about such behavior.  Even more apropos: condoning such behavior is not illegal, either.  Even in the workplace.  So again, if we subscribe to your philosophy, he could be on tape encouraging male employees to behave in this way, and there's still no crime committed and no legal liability for him unless he encourages real criminal behavior.
    [Deleted User]
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846
    Scot said:

Doesn't have anything to do with the court cases, it's all money.

Voting out your sitting CEO in the middle of a billion dollar acquisition would destroy their stock and possibly cause Microsoft to cancel the acquisition or renegotiate for a much lower price which would just further destroy their stock.

Bobby Kotick isn't going anywhere until the acquisition is 100% concluded. Anyone who thought otherwise is plain delusional.
    TheDalaiBombaKyleran
  • TheDalaiBombaTheDalaiBomba Member EpicPosts: 1,493
    Wargfoot said:
    Scot said:

Not to discount your overall point, but holding companies hostage to employees short of a criminal conviction is absolutely, 1,000,000%, positively, objectively *not* a good idea.

Just as an apropos example of why: generally, making crude jokes about titties in front of women who do not want to hear you make them is still not illegal.  If we take your position regarding employment, nothing can be done about such behavior.
    I think whether the court room or the board room the principle is the same: "Allow for due process" instead of the reactionary nonsense we get so much of today.  There is no circumstance where trial by media is appropriate.

The Twitter mob should be entirely ignored when dealing with these things.

I agree, I just wanted to clarify that there's a middle ground there that companies need to be allowed to operate in.

Harassment requires pervasiveness, but companies still shouldn't have to endure a sexist employee making jokes simply because the employee doesn't do it daily or directly to female employees.

If it gets to the point that harassment can be proven, that's an indicator not *just* that things were happening...  *But that they were so pervasive that it created a hostile work environment for female employees.*

By the time the courts are involved, we're well beyond mere tasteless jokes every once in a while.  Businesses shouldn't let things get to this point, and they definitely shouldn't feel pressured to let things get to this point before they act.
    [Deleted User]
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    No brain?

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited June 2022
    They probably weighed the money he has made for the company against getting rid of him because he is an awful person and the scales were tipped heavily in the former. They don't give a damn about the allegations because money is the most important thing in this equation.

:smile: edited because my KB decided to the 'y' in they was optional
    Post edited by kitarad on
    [Deleted User]Kylerancheyane

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    edited June 2022
    Torval said:
    Scot said:

Not to discount your overall point, but holding companies hostage to employees short of a criminal conviction (or even civil liability) is absolutely, 1,000,000%, positively, objectively *not* a good idea.

Just as an apropos example of why: generally, making crude jokes about titties and vaginas in front of women who do not want to hear you make them is still not illegal.  If we take your position regarding employment, nothing can be done about such behavior.  Even more apropos: condoning such behavior is not illegal, either.  Even in the workplace.  So again, if we subscribe to your philosophy, he could be on tape encouraging male employees to behave in this way, and there's still no crime committed and no legal liability for him unless he encourages real criminal behavior.

We wouldn't have "trial by media" if the justice system were doing its job. But corporate America has the US and Canadian governments bent over for a coffee with Roger Ring and their Swedish cousin Bonk.

We don't have trial by media because the media can do no more than inform the public. When the media are doing a better job at informing the public than the justice system is with governance then we get this problem.
    But we would, mainstream and social media react far more quickly than a justice system can. Sometimes a person or organisation is condemned in the media on the same day, there is no trial. No media can ever just inform because human beings are not robots without bias. But increasingly in mainstream these days there is an inbuilt bias. For brevity I will just mention two reasons.

Mainstream media across the west has seen their share of news consumers fall heavily, this really took of in the UK for newspapers in the early noughties and for TV in the very early twenty tens; but everywhere in the west has gone through this. This was the cause of the move to more drama in news, drama had already been on the rise since 24 hour news started, but starting to lose their dominant share of consumed content really pushed the hype meter up in first papers then TV. I don't need to explain how if you present the news in a more dramatic way bias creeps in.

Also mainstream decided to tried to turn back the tide by adopting another editorial method from the tabloids, this time narrative. This upped the importance of "related" stories and the use of repeated items on the same issue to drive the narrative home. Again I don't need to explain how moulding the news to follow a narrative brings in bias.

It is not like paper and TV mainstream had not used drama and narrative before, it was their increasing dependency on those methods that brought in so much bias. Today their is a mixed picture of stability and falling figures, so it has somewhat paid of but not taken them back to dominance and has lead to further problems.

These are two reasons that trust in the mainstream media is failing across the west, I understand this is happening in the US and many European countries. This is not just about what the TV channels in our countries are like, it is a reaction to these changes in the way the news is created to pull back more readers and viewers.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Torval said:
    We wouldn't have "trial by media" if the justice system were doing its job. But corporate America has the US and Canadian governments bent over for a coffee with Roger Ring and their Swedish cousin Bonk.

People think I'm joking when I say the justice system is P2Win, but it is.

Even before you get to court for civil matters corporations have managed to get their legislative flunkies to limit their liability with all kinds of legislation almost everywhere in North America by highlighting mischaracterized, fear mongering examples like the infamous McDonald's hot coffee incident (all she wanted initially before suing was $20K to cover her medical expenses) to get the general public to go along with the new laws that only favor the corporations.
    TheDalaiBomba[Deleted User]Ginaz
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED