Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo Immortal Review

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Chumo said:

Dattelis said:

Almost fair to me, though I would rate it a 5 even and yes mostly because of the monetization since its so entrenched in the game's progression.

Except that its not. You can easily grind to 60 and finish the story and contribute as pure f2p. I see f2p players with 6 2 star gems that havent dropped a dime and they are only a bit behind the dolphins that have dropped 500+. You don't need to spend a dime and aside from penis-envy if you inspect whales, you wont even notice them
    Right. It really is just penis envy. No difference whatsoever in the game play LMAO.

UwakionnaDattelis[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• UwakionnaUwakionna Member RarePosts: 1,139
    Scot said:
    "I don't think everything should be free, and people should be paid well for their work. In the capitalist world we live in, that's just a reality we face."

Firstly why do journos in the gaming media feel the need to make statements like "I wa(nt) to clarify that I have nothing against game companies making money off their games"?

Who does not think that? It is common sense they need to make a good profit, I have not seen one post on here saying games should be made for free and I think we represent social media on that one. To say a cash shop has gone too far is not a stance against common sense.

Secondly, I think you will find when MMOs had decent ways of funding themselves we were already a capitalist economy. We did not suddenly become capitalist last year and voila DI is the result. Gaming studios have changed, their gaming ethos has gone out the window and been replaced with a corporate one.

That aside I think the review was spot on 5.5 seems about right.
    You might be surprised how often "Game Company still needs to make money." is used as an excuse to try and dismiss any kind of criticism of a game's monetization. There are a lot of people quite apt to use very reductive and hyperbolic forms of argument.
    IselinKyleran[Deleted User]Scot
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Vidahr said:
    I hit 60 and actually really enjoyed the game..

Up until I realized that I had to spend a ton of money for a CHANCE to progress. It was very disheartening. The gameplay was pretty fun for just a mobile ARPG.

The problem with people defending the monetization is that you literally can't progress without giving up potentially egregious amounts of money. It's not even a paywall, it's a payskyscraper.

So it's like, sure I don't have to engage in monetization. If I don't engage in monetization I literally cannot play.
    Ohh but you can play, you won’t be making any actual progress beyond a certain point though. Its the new rage called F2BANGYOURHEADAGAINSTANARTIFICIALLYCREATEDWALL. Heard it here first.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    lahnmir said:
    Vidahr said:

Up until I realized that I had to spend a ton of money for a CHANCE to progress. It was very disheartening. The gameplay was pretty fun for just a mobile ARPG.

The problem with people defending the monetization is that you literally can't progress without giving up potentially egregious amounts of money. It's not even a paywall, it's a payskyscraper.

So it's like, sure I don't have to engage in monetization. If I don't engage in monetization I literally cannot play.
    Ohh but you can play, you won’t be making any actual progress beyond a certain point though. Its the new rage called F2BANGYOURHEADAGAINSTANARTIFICIALLYCREATEDWALL. Heard it here first.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    MMOF2BYHAAACW?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

lahnmir said:
    Vidahr said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    MMOF2BYHAAACW?

Rolls of the tongue quite easily now doesn’t it? Almost as smooth as the entire monetization model Blizzard has implemented in DI without trying to obfuscate anything….. Right?

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    edited June 2022

Kyleran said:

Question, what mobile platform and phone model was the review played on?

Wondering if the experience might be any different on an iPhone vs Android, and really wondering how it might play on the Samsung Fold with it's expanded screen size when opened.

Can this game be played on tablets even? I've been looking for years now for a game to actually play on a tablet, wondering if this might be one to try doing so?

Anyone have a link to maybe a stream where this was discussed or explored?

yes it can be played on tablet (tried it on my ipad pro 12.9)

It is a totally better on my Samsung tab 7+ than it is on my PC. The controls are much easier to use on the pad. I am level 60(5) with my monk and pay nothing and will not.
    Octagon7711

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    So the only CONS are :

Cons
    Monetization systems which pressure players into spending money for a chance at gear they want
    Hidden mechanics to how the monetization works and how wide the gap between people who pay large amounts of money and players who don’t spend as much.

That's it?!?
    Without the monetization the game would be a 10/10?

Really???

Rework your review buddy.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    The fact is a review should include the monetization. If it affects the game then its overall review score should go down as a result. You cannot divorce the monetization from the game because it is built into it. The game has to be gauged with that in mind.

It's too bad but monetization affects gameplay. If the developers have spent time and money on the monetization then it is fair that the game be judged on it. I would think that any developer would want what money and time they spent on the game mechanics to be part of the review. 
    halfmysticOctagon7711

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Blizzard is dead to me. Big nope. That 5.5 might as well have been a zero. The streamers with a money spent on their streams are part of the problem. 

Modern gaming...
    Confused No GIF - Confused No Nope - Discover  Share GIFs  Nope gif  Face Reality tv

Best April Fools Day GIFs  Gfycat

Oh and it made 24 million in two weeks...

Whales GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

/barf

But hey Blizzard now has multiple games in the top 5 worst rated of all time on metacritic. Congrats!

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535
    LeFantome said:
    So the only CONS are :

Cons
    Monetization systems which pressure players into spending money for a chance at gear they want
    Hidden mechanics to how the monetization works and how wide the gap between people who pay large amounts of money and players who don’t spend as much.

That's it?!?

Really???

Rework your outlook on gaming, monetization IS this game, and needs to be in the review. If you can't accept that, it's a you problem. 
    LeFantome
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited June 2022

Kyleran said:

Wondering if the experience might be any different on an iPhone vs Android, and really wondering how it might play on the Samsung Fold with it's expanded screen size when opened.

Can this game be played on tablets even? I've been looking for years now for a game to actually play on a tablet, wondering if this might be one to try doing so?

I play it on a laptop and iPad. It plays well on both and I regularly go back and forth between the two with laptop experience feeling slightly better. I’ve got an iPhone but have not play it or any games on it so far as the iPad is good for general gaming and laptop for more intense stuff.

Won’t be spending more then a few dollars on this game as there are more than enough mmo’s out to fill my time while spending a lot less just buying regular and discounted expansions for other games.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• DattelisDattelis Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Nilden said:
    Blizzard is dead to me. Big nope. That 5.5 might as well have been a zero. The streamers with a money spent on their streams are part of the problem. 

Modern gaming...
    Confused No GIF - Confused No Nope - Discover  Share GIFs  Nope gif  Face Reality tv

Best April Fools Day GIFs  Gfycat

Oh and it made 24 million in two weeks...

Whales GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

/barf

But hey Blizzard now has multiple games in the top 5 worst rated of all time on metacritic. Congrats!

I am kind of leaning that way too, or at least feeling more apprehensive than before given how D:I turned out and OW2 otw as f2p. Its kind of sad too since Hearthstone was kind of boring on the egregious with card packs but it was tolerable and its f2p, with heroes of the storm being f2p as well. Which throws more water on the fire when people say that D:I has to be so monetized while they forgot those 2 games being f2p. Its just flat out greed, no way to hide it.
  • SplattrSplattr Member RarePosts: 543
    LeFantome said:
    So the only CONS are :

Cons

That's it?!?

Really???

Rework your outlook on gaming, monetization IS this game, and needs to be in the review. If you can't accept that, it's a you problem. 
    I don't think he was complaining about the inclusion of microtransactions in the review. I think he was saying that there are more issues than just the microtransactions and he seems upset that there weren't any other cons given.
    [Deleted User]LeFantome
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    edited June 2022
    Iselin said:
    Good honest review as always, Robin.

The game itself really isn't bad - not great but definitely a passable ARPG with some good features.

I personally really liked the Essence Transfer system for legendary weapons and armor. It's a great way to remove gear level and/or quality considerations from the use of the power affix you want to use in those gear slots... not to mention that it gets rid of a lot of inventory and stash clutter and makes the limits more manageable, If this has been done before in another ARPG, I'm not aware of it.

It's also good to see that the monetization influenced your score as it should. When monetization impacts game play as much as it does here it really can't be ignored when arriving at an overall rating for the game.

It often IS ignored in reviews or at least not given enough weight so I'm happy to see that you did give it appropriate weight.
    It is very difficult to combine those two areas, gameplay and monetarization in one review. That's may be why they tried to have a separate look at the two areas previously. It is even more of a problem down the line, the cash shop changes can be harder to evaluate than a gameplay change, the multiple currencies and convoluted systems are there to ensure that. "But Wait..." that thread of yours shows how players can take weeks to understand what they are getting into.
  • KasreynKasreyn Member UncommonPosts: 17
    My only question, is how long would you be willing to play without spending cash on this game? 4 hours, 12 hours , 100, before you can't progress until you spend cash?

A fight where I might win or loose? That's PvP. Ganked or being ganked is not PvP.

Kasreyn said:
    My only question, is how long would you be willing to play without spending cash on this game? 4 hours, 12 hours , 100, before you can't progress until you spend cash?
    It seems you can do without cash if you devote your life to the game, but even then you will have to get lucky. From what most players say I am not sure this would even stay interesting beyond the 100 hour point, others will hopefully set us right there?
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    I enjoy it.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    botrytis said:

Kyleran said:

yes it can be played on tablet (tried it on my ipad pro 12.9)

It is a totally better on my Samsung tab 7+ than it is on my PC. The controls are much easier to use on the pad. I am level 60(5) with my monk and pay nothing and will not.
    Thanks for the confirmation guys, much appreciated.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• eoloeeoloe Member RarePosts: 864
    Dattelis said:
     Its just flat out greed, no way to hide it.

Blizzard is like :"Look at all those morons giving us their money! HAHAHA...

At this level, it is not just greed. It is contempt, and the reason why I uninstalled rather quickly.
  • Veexer_NuiVeexer_Nui Member UncommonPosts: 268

Iselin said:

The game itself really isn't bad - not great but definitely a passable ARPG with some good features.

I personally really liked the Essence Transfer system for legendary weapons and armor. It's a great way to remove gear level and/or quality considerations from the use of the power affix you want to use in those gear slots... not to mention that it gets rid of a lot of inventory and stash clutter and makes the limits more manageable, If this has been done before in another ARPG, I'm not aware of it.

It's also good to see that the monetization influenced your score as it should. When monetization impacts game play as much as it does here it really can't be ignored when arriving at an overall rating for the game.

It often IS ignored in reviews or at least not given enough weight so I'm happy to see that you did give it appropriate weight.

Really? they can't create actual 'unique' items so just let you copy that 'one' overpowered ability with a stat stick? Idiot.
    Iselin

Archeage EU - Nui

Iselin said:

Really? they can't create actual 'unique' items so just let you copy that 'one' overpowered ability with a stat stick? Idiot.
    ‘Man, everyone knows you never go full retard.’

-Tropic Thunder-

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

[Deleted User]Kyleran

Getting in early: Keep calm and carry on posting.
    lahnmir
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:

Sounds a lot like Lost Ark's Gear level and Skill transfer systems, though I haven't availed myself of the latter.

IDK that system but in DI you get access to this system at pretty low levels, I don't think there's even a minimum level requirement.

As soon as you get a second legendary gear drop for the same slot (6 slots that can equip them) you're sent to the Essence transfer NPC where you can extract the legendary affix and also replace the legendary affix of your worn item in that slot with a power you have extracted.

Just like in Diablo 3 those affixes buff individual skills so some are obviously more suitable than others depending on which skills you want to use. You have several build options for each class and for example you might want to build your Necro for more Corpse Explosion damage or wider radius and you may not use a summoned golem so a better piece of gear in a slot that has 3 of +int, +vitality, +whatever and better armor is something you'd want to wear instead of the old one with less armor and only 2 of the base stats, that has a golem buff would be better in some ways but useless if you don't use the golem.

You can use the system to keep everything about the better gear piece that makes it better and infuse it with the + corpse explosion buff you extract from the lesser gear piece.

You could also play like a full retard and not do that "cause it's just a stat stick...idiot" :) and just keep grinding until you get a better item for that slot that just happens to also have a + corpse explosion affix. That's how you do it in Diablo 3 and other ARPGs and it's a PITA when RNGesus hates you.

So yeah, this is definitely a better system considering the 100s of legendaries in the game already with more to come in the future I'm sure.
    KyleranArlee
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DjijinDjijin Member UncommonPosts: 108
    edited June 2022

Every single F2P player.

Some people will justify anything. Blinders for everyone.

You sold your souls. You sold your consumer rights. You dine of 5 course meals of shit now. Enjoy. I have no sympathy for any of you.
    ScotKyleranIselinNilden